Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Barudak posted:

DLC are unintegrated short side stories, most of which assume you beat the game so play the base game first.

Hard mode is a waste of time unless your fetish is things taking longer for no appreciable reason.

would you say theres more focus on enemy stats/weaknesses than normal or just more HP? seems like a dumb question but I want to give it a try as the combat hooked me in the demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Hard mode is just spongier enemies, it's sadly lazy.

Nutmeg posted:

I saw in the XV demo there was a hard mode. Does anyone know what hard mode entails? It seems interesting, also I'm noob on this game should I play the base game before the DLC?

I'd argue that you can do Gladio and Prompto's dlc during the bits where they leave the party for a while (which is when their dlc adventures are set). Prompto's in particular really helps set up some plot twists that otherwise come out of nowhere.

Ignis' absolutely needs to be done post game though, it literally spoils the ending by showing bits of the ending cutscenes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd even say Gladio's is playable almost anytime. The only other character he interacts with is Cor and nothing after chapter 3 or so is really referenced.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Vanderdeath posted:

I recently beat XV (right before the Royal Pack hit :negative: ) and there's still a bunch of stuff I'm unclear on, like if Eos is literally just two continents and an archipelago or if the Hexatheon appeared alongside the Meteor and brought the Crystal with them? Honestly the Cosmogony of Eos feels like it should've been fleshed out way more considering its importance to the story. Solheim is barely touched upon and despite being killed, Shiva is still kicking around as Gentiana. Does that mean Ifrit is also not perma-dead?

Gotta do Pitioss :dance:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
OK, so, as a guy who loves Final Fantasy Tactics, Into the Breach seems to be extremely my poo poo, so I'm gonna abandon this thread for a few days to go play that. GG thxbai, remember not to rekt your self before you check yourselves.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Motherfucker manages to make Cup Noodles look appetizing, of course he'd work magic with spam

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Motherfucker manages to make Cup Noodles look appetizing, of course he'd work magic with spam

I think you're starting to imply some things about Cup Noodles you're not gonna want to do.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I picked up the PS4 version of the Royal Edition today (still sealed), but wonder if I am better off getting the PC version instead? My PC is about two to three years old now, but my PS4 is the Pro with a HDR 4K tv.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You could load up the demo and see how it runs, I guess, but otherwise then only difference is gonna be "Do you want to look like Gordon Freeman and maybe have mods".

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I just started XV, and are hard progression points obviously marked? I wanna make sure to see and do everything, but I don't want to just wander around doing main story content if it'll suddenly throw me forward and terminate side stuff without warning.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You have pretty much free realm til Chapter 9, and even after that, you have the option to 'go back' to the open world.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Omi no Kami posted:

I just started XV, and are hard progression points obviously marked? I wanna make sure to see and do everything, but I don't want to just wander around doing main story content if it'll suddenly throw me forward and terminate side stuff without warning.

There are no missable quests afaik. There will just be a few times you're restricted from going back to the open world to do them, but other than a part of the game that is (literally) railroaded you're usually not locked out for long.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

You can go back but the big change point is when they ask you to take a boat ride that is the optimal stopping point for various grinding.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
in FF15, I did a nighttime hunt that I was weaker than by a little under ten levels. It drained all my resources except for one potion and a handful of Hi-Elixirs, I almost died a ton of times, but I won and it taught me all kinds of good battle system habits, like abusing the i-frames from special moves while you recharge your HP/MP on high ground points, and then instantly warping in for the finisher. After the last Flan died, I looked up at the sky and realized I had fought literally all night and the sun was coming up, everyone's clothes were gross af, and then they all cheered when we made it back to the motel :v:

FF15-PC is definitely goty

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 7, 2018

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay awesome, thanks! This is the last newbie thing, but while wandering around Cid's store I kept seeing subtitles with Prompto or Ignis going "Oh hey, check this out!" or whatever, but no accompanying audio; are those just text-only flavor pieces?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Omi no Kami posted:

Okay awesome, thanks! This is the last newbie thing, but while wandering around Cid's store I kept seeing subtitles with Prompto or Ignis going "Oh hey, check this out!" or whatever, but no accompanying audio; are those just text-only flavor pieces?

If you go over to them you'll find a point of interest, usually just flavour stuff. Helps the road trip vibe.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

esperterra posted:

If you go over to them you'll find a point of interest, usually just flavour stuff. Helps the road trip vibe.

Is this stuff I can pick up on my own? Because I was finding tons of interactables they commented on in the same place, but I couldn't figure out if that's where their comments were coming from.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Omi no Kami posted:

Is this stuff I can pick up on my own? Because I was finding tons of interactables they commented on in the same place, but I couldn't figure out if that's where their comments were coming from.

Nah, usually just stuff to look at. If you go to find whichever bro said 'hey come look at this' after they say it, they'll usually be standing next to something you can observe and may make another comment on it.

e: if you mean are they points of interest that would be there without one of them commenting on it, then yah typically

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Look at this guy who's never had spam musubi.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

ApplesandOranges posted:

Quina should have been in FF8. The Devour command was practically tailor made for him/her.

Relm would have been the poo poo in ff8.
All that drawing...

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

esperterra posted:

Nah, usually just stuff to look at. If you go to find whichever bro said 'hey come look at this' after they say it, they'll usually be standing next to something you can observe and may make another comment on it.

e: if you mean are they points of interest that would be there without one of them commenting on it, then yah typically

Okay gotcha, that makes sense; I was worried I was missing out by not responding specifically to those cues.

Also, holy cow what a great game. I really wish it had the option to make the HUD contextual. I turned off everything but the HP bars and weapon puppeteer on the bottom, but it'd be really rad if they'd added a way to make that only come up while fighting.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I'm a few hours into Disc 3 of FF9, I'm curious what the general consensus was on Kuja as a villain. I know some more stuff happens with him later but so far he's been kind of unimpressive. He feels like a rough draft of Seymour with some leftover Kefka. I've always sort of been resistant to the whole "villains need a good/relatable motivation behind their deeds" idea, I think you can make a good villain out of all flash and no substance if the flash is entertaining enough. However the particular type of flash Kuja has been providing up until now isn't really doing it for me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Kuja is very well received. He plays into the game's theme of mortaility and theatre, he's an absolutely menacing presence from his introduction til Disc 3, and while he never gets sympathetic, you get an understanding into his perspective as the game goes on. The aftereffects of his actions on people like Garnet and Vivi are pretty obviously displayed in the story.

Seymour is generally dismissed, partly because of his dumb design, but also because he's ineffective as a villian. Oh sure he's a maester, he slaughters a bunch of people and pretty much near-genocides a race... but even the heroes don't take him seriously. His last hurrah is as a minor nuisance.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Honestly Kuja's appeal comes from the tail end of Disc 3 and Disc 4 for spoilery reasons. Before that, he's a theatrical ham that's very effective at ruining everyone's day and getting what he wants until he finally gets some resistance in that crazy sequence at the beginning of Disc 3.

Not saying you'll change your mind on him when you get to that point, but it's definitely where they add another dimension to him.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kuja has been my favorite FF villain since I played FFIX back in...2003 I think it was. I don't see the Seymour comparisons, honestly and that isn't due to me liking one or disliking the other. They're just very different types of villain. They fit well into the overall themes of their respective games but their objectives, personalities and role in the stories are totally different.

I think Kuja has great presence as he mainly shows up when poo poo is seriously going down, he has absolutely fantastic music and I adore his dialogue. There is one of the greatest villain lines ever in an FF game coming up at a certain point in Disk 3 and it's from Kuja. It's just him calling the party idiots but the presentation and context is beautiful.

Also respect to Kuja for having a visible thong which is mainly a thing for ladies in this series.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's also pretty easy to dismiss Kuja as just someone with flowery speech due to the way he dresses and acts, but he's actually very cunning and effective at his job. A lot of his work is done behind the scenes (haha stage joke), but their effects are actually very well exhibited, like the dismantling of all the major powers on the Mist Continent and the entire Black Mage race.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Kuja is very well received. He plays into the game's theme of mortaility and theatre, he's an absolutely menacing presence from his introduction til Disc 3, and while he never gets sympathetic, you get an understanding into his perspective as the game goes on. The aftereffects of his actions on people like Garnet and Vivi are pretty obviously displayed in the story.

Yeah, like I said I'm aware he has more stuff coming up, I just felt kinda weird not really having a strong opinion on the main villain of what's quickly becoming my favorite game in the series so I was curious what other people thought. His actions are extremely significant, and he's a big showman, but so far, to me anyway, it's felt like most of the time he comes up it's been a matter of "oh right we gotta deal with that dude." I'm enjoying a lot of the subtle character stuff among most of the party and that feels way more at the forefront in this one than figuring out what the bad guy's deal is like in something like 6 or 7. Again maybe this is all going to be rendered moot by the end of disc 3, I'd certainly like to change my mind.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Seymour is generally dismissed, partly because of his dumb design, but also because he's ineffective as a villian. Oh sure he's a maester, he slaughters a bunch of people and pretty much near-genocides a race... but even the heroes don't take him seriously. His last hurrah is as a minor nuisance.

NikkolasKing posted:

Kuja has been my favorite FF villain since I played FFIX back in...2003 I think it was. I don't see the Seymour comparisons, honestly and that isn't due to me liking one or disliking the other. They're just very different types of villain. They fit well into the overall themes of their respective games but their objectives, personalities and role in the stories are totally different.

It's not a particularly deep comparison, it's just they share a certain flamboyance in their designs and they like to grandstand and chew the scenery. Kuja far moreso, obviously, Seymour's a lot more reserved about it for the most part. They also both like showing a lot of bare chest flesh.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Urien did the Video Game Villain in a thong thing better tbh

This thought would always come up to me when hearing or talking about Kuja

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 7, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

I think Kuja has great presence as he mainly shows up when poo poo is seriously going down, he has absolutely fantastic music and I adore his dialogue. There is one of the greatest villain lines ever in an FF game coming up at a certain point in Disk 3 and it's from Kuja. It's just him calling the party idiots but the presentation and context is beautiful.

Which one are you thinking of?

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

TriffTshngo posted:

They also both like showing a lot of bare chest flesh.

According to the Palazzo Principle the fruitier someone is dressed the more likely they are to emerge as a Final Fantasy antagonist or protagonist.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, they did keep HD copies of the FF9 cutscenes around after all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew2eeo-vRfs

Man, that game's opening is still my favourite.

Also I feel like Garnet has way more personality in HD, look how much fun she's having, you could barely see that before.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 7, 2018

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

pasaluki posted:

According to the Palazzo Principle the fruitier someone is dressed the more likely they are to emerge as a Final Fantasy antagonist or protagonist.

Except Yuna in X. She was probably one of the most normal looking people in that game. Including NPC's

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

lobster22221 posted:

Except Yuna in X. She was probably one of the most normal looking people in that game. Including NPC's

Your right. But correcting that mistake was the whole reason they had to make Final Fantasy X-2 where they made her dress up in something called Floral Fallal....

pasaluki fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 7, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

pasaluki posted:

Your right. But correcting that mistake was the whole reason they had to make Final Fantasy X-2 where they made her dress up in something called Floral Fallal....

Oh it can't be that ba-

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Oh it can't be that ba-

I mean in fairness that is her ultimate dressphere, it would be kind of underwhelming if it WASN'T on that level.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looks good to me

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Oh it can't be that ba-

Basically what I wear to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer