Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but as someone who just started XV the way that Noctis and his buddies dress like final fantasy characters while all the NPCs dress in modern street clothes both freaks me out and cracks me the heck up, because it makes you and your friends look like the biggest douchebags in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unless I'm misremembering they all wear pretty normal looking clothes though?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Noctis wearing cargo pants and a shirt while standing next to WOL and Firion in their immaculate fantasy clothes will never not be hilarious to me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Noctis being the only one that talks normally in dissidia nt is one of the few highlights

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
As a friend of mine succinctly put it,

quote:

Noctis in Dissidia NT is that guy who is playing DnD for the first time and everyone around him is a natural at getting in character but he's still nervous and just kinda playing himself.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but as someone who just started XV the way that Noctis and his buddies dress like final fantasy characters while all the NPCs dress in modern street clothes both freaks me out and cracks me the heck up, because it makes you and your friends look like the biggest douchebags in the world.

Apparently a lot of the designs in XV come from an earlier iteration of the setting where the grim reaper was going to be a main object of worship in Insomnia with black as a significant color, which is why everyone from there wears it and there's skulls all over their clothes. But they dropped that aspect and so Noctis and crew just look a bit tryhard emo.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

They still dress like it's 2006 when the rest of the world moved on it owns

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Which one are you thinking of?

Zidane: "You better keep your promise, Kuja!"
Kuja: "Of course. You needn't worry one bit." (the party leaves) "Khehehe... What a bunch of idiots."

I love that line so much. Kuja is pretty eloquent and flamboyant but here he's just like "god, you guys are loving stupid."

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

MikeJF posted:

Apparently a lot of the designs in XV come from an earlier iteration of the setting where the grim reaper was going to be a main object of worship in Insomnia with black as a significant color, which is why everyone from there wears it and there's skulls all over their clothes.

Final Fantasy 15: My Immortal.
Chapter 1:
My name is Noctis Lucis Caelum.
I’m a goth (in case you couldn’t tell) and I wear mostly black. I love Hot Topic and I buy all my clothes from there. 

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Unless I'm misremembering they all wear pretty normal looking clothes though?

some of the outfits you can get are just jeans and t-shirts, yeah, but the "canon" stuff looks a bit over the top.
It kind of works though, since noctis and crew are upper class city slicker teenagers on a roadtrip in rural countrysides. they're going to stand out. they are also going to die since they wear black leather clothes in the desert.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

then lose the jacket

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Terper posted:

then lose the jacket

You'll catch cold

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So I know FFXV has had a ton of updates since release. Have any of them worked to sort of smooth over the patchwork story presentation, or have all the story additions come in the form of the character-specific DLC episodes? I'm considering jumping in on PC. The story isn't really the most important part here, I guess, given that I've been spoiled on the whole thing by now anyway, but I'm still curious if the presentation of it has improved at all.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Isn't Gladio the only guy in the squad who wears leather though? The rest of the guys wear pretty standard clothes, boots aside.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Terper posted:

then lose the jacket

I would sooner die.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

So I know FFXV has had a ton of updates since release. Have any of them worked to sort of smooth over the patchwork story presentation, or have all the story additions come in the form of the character-specific DLC episodes? I'm considering jumping in on PC. The story isn't really the most important part here, I guess, given that I've been spoiled on the whole thing by now anyway, but I'm still curious if the presentation of it has improved at all.

They reworked an entire chapter of the game because people complained that it was long and awful during the original release. The Royal Edition (and the Windows release) expands the game's final chapter a bit. There might have been other things, but those are the ones that stand out to me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

QuantaStarFire posted:

They reworked an entire chapter of the game because people complained that it was long and awful during the original release. The Royal Edition (and the Windows release) expands the game's final chapter a bit. There might have been other things, but those are the ones that stand out to me.

That sounds somewhat better, at least, so that's cool.

Other question: from what I can tell, FFXV kinda sorta has actual dungeons. Is that accurate? I enjoy a good dungeon crawl every now and again. It's probably why I like FFXII more than most.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Harrow posted:

Other question: from what I can tell, FFXV kinda sorta has actual dungeons. Is that accurate? I enjoy a good dungeon crawl every now and again. It's probably why I like FFXII more than most.

Ive only played the base game so hopefully the dlcs add some good ones. It has a few and some even have puzzles, but I can't say the dungeons were very memorable for me.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Harrow posted:

Good: Yes, the game has dungeons. Most of them are hidden/optional though

Bad: You can only walk slooowly or sprint full speed

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pitioss Dungeon is a work of art and belongs in a museum.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Terper posted:

Pitioss Dungeon is a work of art and belongs in a museum.

I remain thrilled you didnt need to beat that to get all the achievments/trophys

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I never went to Pitioss :ohdear:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I just finished an early XV quest where some sleazy reporter guy asked us to steal a garnet from a bird. The game is saying I won't be able to return for a while once I hop on board the ferry, but I'm only level 10 and there are tons of unfinished hunts from level 15-28; should I just ignore 'em and come back much later on to polish them off, or is it worth grinding here?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's just a short segment where you'll be taken somewhere else for a bit, don't worry about it.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay awesome, thanks!

And man, those guys sure look weird running around the beach in heavy clothes. Someone should suggest that they lose the jackets.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I was told just to mainline the main story until I unlock chocobos, that about Right?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I was told just to mainline the main story until I unlock chocobos, that about Right?

Yeah that's as good a place as any to stop

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Omi no Kami posted:

I just finished an early XV quest where some sleazy reporter guy asked us to steal a garnet from a bird. The game is saying I won't be able to return for a while once I hop on board the ferry, but I'm only level 10 and there are tons of unfinished hunts from level 15-28; should I just ignore 'em and come back much later on to polish them off, or is it worth grinding here?

That triggers a 20 minute or so sequence where some plot happens and there's a bit of combat.

Even when you leave on a different boat later on, for good, you can warp back to the open world from any hotel or rest spot.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Omi no Kami posted:

Okay awesome, thanks!

And man, those guys sure look weird running around the beach in heavy clothes. Someone should suggest that they lose the jackets.

You can remove the jackets (for a str boost in most cases).

Gladio will indeed tell you to lose the jacket/put one on if Noct complains about being too hot or cold.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Did they patch in other dialog about the other outfits? The mariachi deserved more love.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Also I feel like Garnet has way more personality in HD, look how much fun she's having, you could barely see that before.

hd closeups of zidane's taint :discourse:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Current attempt at Lightning Returns derailed by replaying Lost Odysee.

Someday i will beat you passcode to enter the graveyard

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just spent 20 minutes in Balovue Mine shooting the Aramusha to death with Prompto. Really was quite a painful ordeal, but it's worth it for the Bow of the Clever this early on. Now I can engage in Absolute Bowshit, it's gonna be great.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Apparently a lot of the designs in XV come from an earlier iteration of the setting where the grim reaper was going to be a main object of worship in Insomnia with black as a significant color, which is why everyone from there wears it and there's skulls all over their clothes. But they dropped that aspect and so Noctis and crew just look a bit tryhard emo.

I had no clue about that. Based on how the lore and world origin story actually goes, that would have been a very different game.

FF XV is cool, relatively short, and fun. Hope you all enjoy it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you ever end up not in the open world you either just keep playing until you make it back to the open world or you keep playing until you pet the dog who takes you back to the open world. There's some lengthy occasions you might be taken away from it but you're never not able to go back after you finish whatever plot point is between you and it/the dog.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah XV is a blast and a very fun game. I would recommend b-lining the main story tbh, unless you get super drawn into the hunts and stuff. The game's not too hard and just doing the main progression should level you enough to finish it off.

I only suggest this b/c the story is so short and the pacing kind of whack, but it's very good and the ending (though I haven't seen the newly added stuff) is excellent. The game remains open to you after you beat if if you want to go back to road trip vibes and do up side quests and hunts and the optional dungeons and stuff.

Comrades is also really fun if you end up enjoying the combat as much as I did despite the simplicity of it all, though your player character in that controls a bit differently to Noct.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

the truth posted:

I had no clue about that. Based on how the lore and world origin story actually goes, that would have been a very different game.

FF XV is cool, relatively short, and fun. Hope you all enjoy it.
It kind of remained that game. The Lucian's real power is only in death, Ardynn subverted the Lucians and crystal looking for a way to prevent death but death needs to stay on track (sheparded by the Lucians) for the world not to end in darkness.

Maybe not the reaper incarnate but death is a big deal.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I would really love to see the FFXV Nomura was making. I imagine it would have had much more story but I wonder if it would have been as good as the story Tabata managed to scrape together from the cutting room floor. It seems like he held onto a lot of the cool-rear end ideas Nomura had while going in entirely his own direction.

If nothing else Nomura's XV would have focused a hell of a lot more on Insomnia, and that would have been really drat interesting. Stella also seemed like a pretty cool character, but I like Lunafreya a lot. She's very good for how little she's used.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

If there's anything I'm bitter about losing from all the reshuffling, it's the Altissia sequence showing in the name change trailer. The trailer also has some radical frame dips and looks more cutscene heavy, so it's not a total loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!