Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, the Bolt is actually pretty normal looking for EV standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I'm not a huge fan of the styling but it looks exactly like any modern small car

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, it's pretty similar to the C Max, for example.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yup. When I pointed out the Bolt to my not-into-cars wife the only thing she said about it was that it didn't look like an electric car.

In sort-of related news, I'm taking a new job next month that is severely depressing my once insatiable desire for a full electric to replace my CMax Energi. My current employer gives me a car allowance, while the new company provides both an allowance and a "use it for all of your gas, all the time" gas card. I don't drive for work, just commute into the office. My new commute is the same as my old, about 90 miles per day of highway driving, no traffic. I'm tempted to eschew my original plan of buying the extended range Leaf, Model 3, etc and just say gently caress it, America time, 3 row SUV.

I'm a terrible person.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

eyebeem posted:

Yup. When I pointed out the Bolt to my not-into-cars wife the only thing she said about it was that it didn't look like an electric car.

In sort-of related news, I'm taking a new job next month that is severely depressing my once insatiable desire for a full electric to replace my CMax Energi. My current employer gives me a car allowance, while the new company provides both an allowance and a "use it for all of your gas, all the time" gas card. I don't drive for work, just commute into the office. My new commute is the same as my old, about 90 miles per day of highway driving, no traffic. I'm tempted to eschew my original plan of buying the extended range Leaf, Model 3, etc and just say gently caress it, America time, 3 row SUV.

I'm a terrible person.

Might as well consider a Robinson R44 with those perks.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ola posted:

Might as well consider a Robinson R44 with those perks.

I had the same perk at a previous company, and daily drove a Nissan Titan 4x4 for 4 years on a 190 mile round trip commute, averaging 12-15mpg.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Press release:
https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutporsche/e-performance/mission-e-cross-turismo/

Hot take: it looks like a crossover designed by a California studio for the American market consumer who wants an electric Subaru for 3x the price.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

We bought a house and needed to add a car to our household, and I thought it would be the perfect time to jump on the EV bandwagon for my wife's new car. Shopping around with the wife, she detested how 'in your face' most EVs are now; she wanted something that flew under the radar. eGolf was up our alley, but the range anxiety got real (despite the fact her commute everyday is only ~10 miles round trip) so pure EVs were out. We ended up with a 330e, which pretty much fits our lifestyle and our use case. Sure it gets only ~17 miles on pure EV, but that covers her daily commute. We can always go out and not worry about people blocking EV charging stations. It's so seamless in how it transitions from EV to gas and back that it -doesn't- feel like a plug in hybrid 98% of the time.

I really like the car, my wife loves the car, and I hope cars like this become very mainstream.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

Press release:

Hot take: it looks like a crossover designed by a California studio for the American market consumer who wants an electric Subaru for 3x the price.

Sweet, where can I buy one?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

kimcicle posted:

We bought a house and needed to add a car to our household, and I thought it would be the perfect time to jump on the EV bandwagon for my wife's new car. Shopping around with the wife, she detested how 'in your face' most EVs are now; she wanted something that flew under the radar. eGolf was up our alley, but the range anxiety got real (despite the fact her commute everyday is only ~10 miles round trip) so pure EVs were out. We ended up with a 330e, which pretty much fits our lifestyle and our use case. Sure it gets only ~17 miles on pure EV, but that covers her daily commute. We can always go out and not worry about people blocking EV charging stations. It's so seamless in how it transitions from EV to gas and back that it -doesn't- feel like a plug in hybrid 98% of the time.

I really like the car, my wife loves the car, and I hope cars like this become very mainstream.

Curious- why not a Bolt or Volt?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Also curious: if 17 miles is enough, why wasn't the 100ish the egolf provides enough?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I sat in a Bolt at the local auto show and it had, by far, the most rock hard seat I've ever experienced in a car. You could have told me it was a metal stadium seat covered by cloth and I would have believed you.

I believe the seat issue is not a design problem so much as wildly inconsistent manufacturing on GM's part, with some cars being ok and some causing their owners crippling pain.

IMO the new leaf and the 2018 egolf are the best "normal" EV's at a mass market price point at the moment.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

HFX posted:

I think the Bolt looks better than the model x, but drat if the Bolts seats don't suck. I guess different strikes for different folks.

This is heresy. Our resident automotive “journalist” said the Bolt’s interior is amazing and without flaw.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

RZA Encryption posted:

Also curious: if 17 miles is enough, why wasn't the 100ish the egolf provides enough?
Probably because it's 17+essentially unlimited instead of 100+0. Gets her commute electric and they don't have to worry about long trips.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Sweet, where can I buy one?

I'm afraid you're going to have to check with the anticipation / speculation part of this thread title for your answer.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Trash Trick posted:

Curious- why not a Bolt or Volt?

Objectively they both suit our needs better, but subjectively we felt that the BMW was better looking, better driving, and was generally a nicer place to be in. The Bolt was not to our liking in terms of exterior styling, and I personally dislike how Chevy handle their interior layouts. We had the extra budget, so why not splurge every now and then.

RZA Encryption posted:

The VW salesman was doing a pretty good job of scaring my wife with range anxiety; I think they wanted to push us to something bigger like a Tiguan or Atlas after she made a off-hand comment about how good they looked for any future road trips. It was a pretty strong contender until that point. Also this:

ilkhan posted:

Probably because it's 17+essentially unlimited instead of 100+0. Gets her commute electric and they don't have to worry about long trips.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sanchez posted:

I believe the seat issue is not a design problem so much as wildly inconsistent manufacturing on GM's part, with some cars being ok and some causing their owners crippling pain.

That’s not the sort of mature manufacturing behaviour we expect from the wizened elders of this industry!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Sicilian posted:

This is heresy. Our resident automotive “journalist” said the Bolt’s interior is amazing and without flaw.

Please go away immediately and permanently.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Finger Prince posted:

Press release:

In other words, someone who would otherwise buy a Macan but this way they get one that can go in the carpool lanes in California or city centers in Europe where road pricing will favor EVs heavily.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

kimcicle posted:

Objectively they both suit our needs better, but subjectively we felt that the BMW was better looking, better driving, and was generally a nicer place to be in. The Bolt was not to our liking in terms of exterior styling, and I personally dislike how Chevy handle their interior layouts. We had the extra budget, so why not splurge every now and then.

I don’t blame you at all. The Bolt and Volt are both great; I am even one of the few who doesn’t mind the seats. But even though both have better cabin design than GM cars of old, the i3 is in another league. And where else are you going to get a carbon fiber tub for that kind of money?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Can I have a nice toggle switch between ICE and electric in my 8,000lb land yacht? Maybe a nice v12 and a p100d option. Come on I’d buy it I’ll say I’d buy it online but never do like every other internet fanboi

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

:emptyquote:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

drgitlin posted:

In other words, someone who would otherwise buy a Macan but this way they get one that can go in the carpool lanes in California or city centers in Europe where road pricing will favor EVs heavily.

Like a Macan but more butch. Designer flannel.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

drgitlin posted:

But even though both have better cabin design than GM cars of old, the i3 is in another league. And where else are you going to get a carbon fiber tub for that kind of money?

I am absolutely in love with my i3, yeah it looks weird but get in, the weird looking outside gives it a weird looking inside that is absolutely a joy to be in and drive, it is just so drat functional that it is so easy to forgive how weird the whole thing looks.

My partner has a Juke and it's so weird to have them parked side by side all the time and then get into one or the other and be like how are these basically the same size car, the i3 feels more like being in a large SUV than the compact car that it is.

I really, really hope BMW reconsiders phasing on the i3 for an electric X3, it makes absolutely no sense for an electric car to be based on a ICE car.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

kimcicle posted:

The VW salesman was doing a pretty good job of scaring my wife with range anxiety; I think they wanted to push us to something bigger like a Tiguan or Atlas after she made a off-hand comment about how good they looked for any future road trips. It was a pretty strong contender until that point.
LOL good job VW sales person! :thumbsup:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

bawfuls posted:

LOL good job VW sales person! :thumbsup:

If there’s one thing that car salespeople can do well, it’s gently caress the sale sideways. We almost walked out of the dealer on the used i3 because their F&I rear end in a top hat kept telling my girlfriend that “electric motors are far more complex than engines and really unreliable” while trying to sell the extended warranty and maintenance program. I asked why we’d need oil changes on an electric car and that shut the rear end in a top hat up for a while.

Also I still like the Bolt, though the rumors of the 200 mile i3 have piqued my interest. If I don’t just piss away a shitload of my money on fixing a shithole of a house I’d probably be driving a Bolt now. It’s honestly a good (if ugly) car.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
200 mile range i3 sounds really good. Here’s to hoping.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ripoff posted:

“electric motors are far more complex than engines and really unreliable”
:captainpop:

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Ripoff posted:

If there’s one thing that car salespeople can do well, it’s gently caress the sale sideways. We almost walked out of the dealer on the used i3 because their F&I rear end in a top hat kept telling my girlfriend that “electric motors are far more complex than engines and really unreliable” while trying to sell the extended warranty and maintenance program. I asked why we’d need oil changes on an electric car and that shut the rear end in a top hat up for a while.

Also I still like the Bolt, though the rumors of the 200 mile i3 have piqued my interest. If I don’t just piss away a shitload of my money on fixing a shithole of a house I’d probably be driving a Bolt now. It’s honestly a good (if ugly) car.

I got a similar routine when purchasing my Bolt: "EV parts are way more expensive and complex, and they break a lot, so you should definitely get this extended warranty."

So far the seats have been OK for me, but the dealer did somehow lose the trunk panel that adds another level after showing it to me during the test drive of the car I bought.

I really, really love L mode's one pedal driving (coming from a manual).

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I guess it's a fundamental problem with the traditional dealership business model, whereby they make more profit on warranties and repair, so they're incentivized to tell you the car you're about to buy from them is unreliable garbage.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Ripoff posted:

their F&I rear end in a top hat kept telling my girlfriend that “electric motors are far more complex than engines and really unreliable”

Normally, I'd chalk this up to the dealer not wanting to sell a car that probably has razor thin margins (or perhaps is a loss-leader type deal for GM).

quote:

while trying to sell the extended warranty and maintenance program.

But then there's this which means he's just trying to tie you into this. He knows fuckall about electric motors.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Can I have a nice toggle switch between ICE and electric in my 8,000lb land yacht? Maybe a nice v12 and a p100d option. Come on I’d buy it I’ll say I’d buy it online but never do like every other internet fanboi
I know you joke, but if we can't convince the sort of people who buy enormous SUVs as daily drivers that their whole idea is idiotic, isn't making them capable of running on electricity as much as possible the next best thing?

People gave GM poo poo for the hybrid GMT900s, but taking a an Escalade from 15 to 21 MPG saves more fuel (and thus emissions) than going from a 29 MPG Corolla to a 48 MPG Prius. It's even better for plug-ins with a proper full EV mode.

IMO it's disappointing we haven't seen more hybrid SUVs, it's not like the weight of the batteries is going to hurt handling. I think full electric would be a harder sell to most, since "do anything" freedom is a main selling point and changing that to "do anything within range of a charging station" loses a lot of the appeal, but something that can drive around the local area on electricity while still having all the capabilities of an ICE model means that big engine wouldn't be firing up as often for a simple milk run.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thwomp posted:

He knows fuckall about electric motors.

More likely he’s just lying.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

He knows fuckall about electric motors and he's lying, in order to score a financial advantage. He shouldn't be selling cars, he should be secretary for transportation!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Thwomp posted:

Normally, I'd chalk this up to the dealer not wanting to sell a car that probably has razor thin margins (or perhaps is a loss-leader type deal for GM).

But then there's this which means he's just trying to tie you into this. He knows fuckall about electric motors.

Yeah it was 100% that they were pushing a very profitable after-market warranty. The F&I guy was full of poo poo from the moment he walked us into the office.

I should write a quick letter to the GM telling them how good their saleswoman was and that their F&I guy is a piece of poo poo.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ripoff posted:

I should write a quick letter to the GM telling them how good their saleswoman was and that their F&I guy is a piece of poo poo.

Dude... who do you think has a spreadsheet on their computer showing

F&I GUY | GOAL WARRANTY SALES | ACHIEVED WARRANTY SALES

The GM does.

That's literally the mandate of his job. Sell people add-ons they don't necessarily need. Sell Sell Sell.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Frankly extended warranties seem like a good idea on electric cars right now. We have every reason to believe they will hold up very well long term because they are mechanically so simple and based on well understood technology but the drivetrains on them are insanely expensive to repair/replace and there isn't any long term data on them. It's like any insurance product but I have seen quotes of something like $6-$8k to replace a BMW i3 motor and there could be some unexpected failures.

I mean gently caress, Nissan shipped a shitload of Leafs to Arizona with air cooled batteries, BMW had to replace a bunch of motors because the whole assembly was attached by one underspec bolt that traction control could easily snap if the car was accelerating and the wheels left the road.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Three Olives posted:

Frankly extended warranties seem like a good idea on electric cars right now. We have every reason to believe they will hold up very well long term because they are mechanically so simple and based on well understood technology but the drivetrains on them are insanely expensive to repair/replace and there isn't any long term data on them. It's like any insurance product but I have seen quotes of something like $6-$8k to replace a BMW i3 motor and there could be some unexpected failures.

I mean gently caress, Nissan shipped a shitload of Leafs to Arizona with air cooled batteries, BMW had to replace a bunch of motors because the whole assembly was attached by one underspec bolt that traction control could easily snap if the car was accelerating and the wheels left the road.

Nobody is going to own a <120 mile range or less car past the warranty expiration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

eyebeem posted:

Nobody is going to own a <120 mile range or less car past the warranty expiration.

My neighborhood is crawling with off lease i3s including mine that have a year left on the factory warranty, I'm guessing most are planning on doing what I am and keeping at least until the end of the battery warranty so another 4 years.

• Locked thread