Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

edit: poo poo, wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
NOTE: there is a ton of Freeper expertise on legal matters here; an actual lawyer goon replying to this post would make this funnier still.

Three threads and about 100 cumulative posts on Nunberg's a) spilling a whole vat of beans b) double-dog-daring Mueller to arrest him.

Former Trump aide Sam Nunberg called before grand jury, says he will refuse to go

Oh, if he "doesn't want any part of" the Grand Jury, I guess we should just let him go and... hey wait a minute!

quote:

This is just more fishing expedition by Mueller and the Dems to try to find something, anything to use against President Trump.

I hope nothing will happen to Nunberg as a result of refusing to go. He has integrity and doesn't want any part of this.

They would most likely try to find something against him, to indict him, then offer him a plea bargain, if he testifies about something bad against Trump.
1 posted on 3/5/2018, 3:13:05 PM by Innovative

*Finally*, in Mueller, Trump has found someone who also plays 11th-dimensional chess.

quote:

Nunberg sounds like a SHILL, refusing to cooperate in order to make it APPEAR Trump did something wrong.

This is all an ACT orchestrated by Team Mueller to get more PRESS and build an air of suspicion about Trump.

Nunberg is a Mueller SHILL.
4 posted on 3/5/2018, 3:18:24 PM by CivilWarBrewing (Get off my back for my usage of CAPS, especially you snowflake males! MAN UP!)

I dunno, is there any "Complete Idiot's Guide to Ignoring a Grand Jury Summons"?

quote:

I don’t think so.

If that were true, Nunberg would exactly be willing to testify to whatever made-up charges against Trump.

He could get into trouble for refusing to testify in front of the grand jury. I hope he studied the issue and is able to protect himself.

8 posted on 3/5/2018, 3:23:02 PM by Innovative ("Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing." -- Vince Lombardi)

IANAL, what happens when you "plead the fifth" in front of a Grand Jury or whatever? They just let you go or something? Though IANAL I'm pretty sure that immunity does not involve the accused going all POW-mode.

quote:

Seems to me why do that and risk a CofC. Just go, say I plead fifth, period, so I am answering no questions before a star chamber. If they give him immunity, then say, not to my recollection to any answer except his date of birth, home address and social security number.

18 posted on 3/5/2018, 3:34:09 PM by Mouton (The MSM is a clear and present danger to the republic.)

Okay, can someone who *is* a lawyer explain whether this is workable or no?

quote:

The feds try to trip you up, then charge you with making a false statement. No way I’d testify - I’d plead the 5th knowing anything I said could be twisted against me. Then if they offer me full transactional immunity for anything I did after my first birthday, I’d take it and then explain I don’t recall enough to testify with any certainty at this time.

30 posted on 3/5/2018, 4:46:04 PM by PAR35

quote:

He can be held in contempt, I believe.

Much easier to simply plead the 5th, offer up nothing.

Worked for Lois Lerner.

8 posted on 3/5/2018, 3:28:23 PM by dan on the right

Okay, lawyer goon, how about this? If he gets jailed for Contempt, and then gets bailed out, he is still not even remotely off the hook for the initial reason they subpoenaed him, right? They can just tell him he's required to come in the Monday after he makes bail, and if he refuses he goes right back in for Contempt, right? And at some point, couldn't they just pick him up from jail in shackles and physically haul him before the Grand Jury?

quote:

“He can be held in contempt and jailed until he complies.”

That is the best and least expensive option, actually.

Hang out in some Fed pen for a little while, eat half-way decent food, play some ping pong. Write letters to the editors from jail asking for JUSTICE and call yourself a POLITICAL PRISONER!

That’s what I would do. I would shove it in their faces. Loudly. I would encourage everyone on that list to do the same. After a while, Mueller will look like a dictator with no mandate or legal authority to hold people indefinitely for no provable reason.

By law you have to give a bond after 90 days anyway; or at least that is true for ACTUAL felonies. No clue about contempt.

38 posted on 3/5/2018, 4:10:52 PM by Noamie

Is it somehow impossible to subpoena someone while they're in jail? Or is it extra-extra easy? Can't they just lock him up for Contempt, let him sober up, then haul him in?

quote:

He could go in and sit down and when they ask him to raise his hand to swear him in he should state that he is having a hard time - because he is so drunk.

Boom. Court is over for that day.

Keep that up for a while and then do a little contempt time. By the time you get back, the jury won’t know what to believe or do to you. Easy peasey.

39 posted on 3/5/2018, 4:14:27 PM by Noamie

I'm pretty sure a "good lawyer" won't come within a 100yds of you after you call into multiple news shows and dare the Feds to arrest you.

quote:

IF he has a good lawyer he can fight the subpoena based on fruit of the poison tree. is the Steele dossier and the following FISA warrants

2 posted on 3/5/2018, 6:45:56 PM by Nifster (I see puppy dogs in the clouds)

Nunberg joins with the heroic martyrs of history:

quote:

Sort of a Thomas More moment?

The Guy in the Chinese square?

Patrick Henry?

Abuse of the prosecutorial process?

Where is Sessions?.

The law is not the law when it is unjust on its face or unjust in the use.

IMO this use of the law makes those giants of the law from Antigone to Coke to Scalia to Gorsuch (please God) cringe. It offends the higher law.

27 posted on 3/5/2018, 4:14:25 PM by amihow

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wow, taking an immunity deal then not living up to your side of the bargain? Its crazy no one has ever thought about doing that before, what a foolproof loophole that beats ALL criminal investigations!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Okay, lawyer goon, how about this? If he gets jailed for Contempt, and then gets bailed out, he is still not even remotely off the hook for the initial reason they subpoenaed him, right? They can just tell him he's required to come in the Monday after he makes bail, and if he refuses he goes right back in for Contempt, right? And at some point, couldn't they just pick him up from jail in shackles and physically haul him before the Grand Jury?

Bail is only for if you're imprisoned prior to a trial. If you're declared in contempt, there isn't a trial; the judging body already determined you "guilty" of the offense, that's why they judged you to be in contempt in the first place.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Mantis42 posted:

Wow, taking an immunity deal then not living up to your side of the bargain? Its crazy no one has ever thought about doing that before, what a foolproof loophole that beats ALL criminal investigations!

Prosecutors hate this! Learn one simple trick to escape any criminal prosecution!

Seriously though, immunity deals are contingent on the defendant providing the testimony they agreed to provide. If they tried to pull a "Don't remember, lol. :razz:" their rear end would be back in prison before they finished the sentence.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Okay, I did some cursory Googling on the Fifth.

So if you plead the Fifth, at some point in the process you're required to go on-record and explicitly explain to [someone] exactly what incriminating thing you did that you don't want to reveal? What if you do so, and it becomes very evident to your lawyer that what you know about the subject won't actually incriminate you, you just don't want to talk about it because you're covering for someone else?

Also, is there such a thing as, say in this case, pleading the Fifth when called to testify about Carter Page, in which you're covering up a crime that has nothing to do with Page? Or is it a given that the self-incriminating material is a crime you committed that is somehow related to Page? Like will the GJ ask you "hey, totally unrelated to Page but since we have you here, did you embezzle any money from the campaign"? Or are you able, without even pleading the Fifth, to avoid questions that have nothing to do with whatever you're testifying about, but are just about you?

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

SocketWrench posted:

One death every 60 seconds according to the most recent numbers. Something like 1.6 million homicides per year. I'd say the odds were pretty damned good

Acksually... not to be a party pooper, but that number is 16 thousand, not 1.6 million.

Still way too high, but you know , it isn't Mad Max levels yet.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Okay, I did some cursory Googling on the Fifth.

So if you plead the Fifth, at some point in the process you're required to go on-record and explicitly explain to [someone] exactly what incriminating thing you did that you don't want to reveal? What if you do so, and it becomes very evident to your lawyer that what you know about the subject won't actually incriminate you, you just don't want to talk about it because you're covering for someone else?

Also, is there such a thing as, say in this case, pleading the Fifth when called to testify about Carter Page, in which you're covering up a crime that has nothing to do with Page? Or is it a given that the self-incriminating material is a crime you committed that is somehow related to Page? Like will the GJ ask you "hey, totally unrelated to Page but since we have you here, did you embezzle any money from the campaign"? Or are you able, without even pleading the Fifth, to avoid questions that have nothing to do with whatever you're testifying about, but are just about you?

I'm not a lawyer but my understanding is that you can basically plead the fifth whenever you think that you might incriminate yourself. If memory serves this is why immunity gets traded for testimony when authorities are chasing bigger fish. Part of that is because if you're immune to prosecution thanks to a deal then you can't incriminate yourself because you can't be prosecuted. So if you take an immunity offer then you can be compelled to testify.

There's also the clause that you can't use somebody pleading the fifth as proof that they're hiding something because they may very well not actually be. They may be suspected of something; I think it's common for lawyers to tell clients to just not talk to police because if you say the wrong thing you can accidentally incriminate yourself for things you didn't do. I think Motive, Means, & Opportunity can be enough to put somebody on trial for a lot of crimes. So if they can prove you were there and had an opportunity to do something but they can't find a motive saying the wrong thing can get you charged even if it wasn't you. Because a lot of evidence is ultimately circumstantial in the end statements you make can be used as evidence. Allowing you to plead the fifth means that the police can't force you to testify against yourself.

I could be wrong but I believe that immunity deals usually pretty specifically enumerate exactly what testimony they want and exactly what you won't be charged with. If they ask questions beyond that you can go "lol nope." I think, anyway; that's just from some of my own random reading on such things and not actual law study.

A real problem comes from the fact that a hell of a lot people think that somebody saying "no comment, pleading the fifth" automatically means that they're hiding something. It doesn't always. Given how crazy American law can be and the fact that vague laws still float around "go away, I'm not talking" is the safest thing to say.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

quote:

A real problem comes from the fact that a hell of a lot people think that somebody saying "no comment, pleading the fifth" automatically means that they're hiding something. It doesn't always. Given how crazy American law can be and the fact that vague laws still float around "go away, I'm not talking" is the safest thing to say.

Makes sense; Nunberg is just skipping the vital middle step of actually *going* before the Grand Jury to tell them he's not saying anything.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
He hasn't plead the Fifth, hasn't even mentioned it.

It looks like he's just going to not comply and dare Mueller to come after him without any real framework for why Mueller can't go after him other than that he 'just won't.'

It is odd behavior.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Sarcastr0 posted:

He hasn't plead the Fifth, hasn't even mentioned it.

It looks like he's just going to not comply and dare Mueller to come after him without any real framework for why Mueller can't go after him other than that he 'just won't.'

It is odd behavior.

Shockingly, our blustering, incompetent president has hired a lot of blustering, incompetent employees.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Not that matters much since he's already backing down.

Sam Nunberg, former Trump aide, vows to defy special counsel in Russia inquiry — then backs down

quote:

Why is he backing down?

He must have gotten some serious threats. Earlier he was very definitive about not testifying in front of the grand jury.

1 posted on 03/05/2018 7:36:22 PM PST by Innovative
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

quote:

To: Innovative

“Why is he backing down?”

Because he does not want to move from sleeping with his wife to sleeping with a cellmate.

4 posted on 03/05/2018 7:45:42 PM PST by Blue House Sue
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

No collusion! No collusion! ... Well, maybe a little collusion, but not the illegal kind of collusion!

quote:

Collusion is not against the law. But “they” are not going to stop until they get Trump. The question is what will Trump’s supporters do?

5 posted on 03/05/2018 7:54:23 PM PST by Terry Mross (Liver spots And blood thinners..)

:tinfoil:

quote:

To: Blue House Sue

Because he does not want to move from sleeping with his wife to sleeping with a cellmate

or perhaps sleeping with fidhies

6 posted on 03/05/2018 7:58:26 PM PST by Nailbiter
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Blue House Sue

Yep, Rule of Law only applies to those who object to Deep State tyranny.

7 posted on 03/05/2018 7:59:05 PM PST by Kalamata (Meat hooks for Tyrants)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

:iiam:

quote:

Where is Trump finding all these nutcases ?

10 posted on 03/05/2018 8:05:06 PM PST by timestax

quote:

To: timestax

Where is Trump finding all these nutcases ?

That's the whole point. Trump doesn't hang out with slick lawyers who know all the right weasel words to stay out of jail. That's why he won and not Hillary. None of Hillary's people would make silly public statements against a prosecutor and would therefore not be labeled "nutcases".

13 posted on 03/05/2018 8:11:10 PM PST by palmer (...if we do not have strong families and strong values, then we will be weak and we will not survive)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

A good portion of the thread is Freepers speculating that Nunberg was drunk when he made his original statements which is something I can't discount.

quote:

He is backing down because he sobered out and realized how stupid the things he did while drunk were.

26 posted on 03/06/2018 2:12:40 AM PST by Krosan

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

One of the news anchor said she could smell alcohol on his breath, so it seems likely.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Jagged Jim posted:

A good portion of the thread is Freepers speculating that Nunberg was drunk when he made his original statements which is something I can't discount.

Broken clock Freep. Glad to see Nunberg is sobering up a bit, though. My personal favorite :tinfoil: is that he got drunk and did all these interviews as a plan to wreck his credibility so that when he does have to testify against his friends on Friday public perception of him will be in the gutter.

Anubis fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 6, 2018

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Bobulus posted:

One of the news anchor said she could smell alcohol on his breath, so it seems likely.

He's also just announced that he's getting treatment

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Makes sense; Nunberg is just skipping the vital middle step of actually *going* before the Grand Jury to tell them he's not saying anything.

I could be wrong but I think you can be compelled to go in front of a grand jury but can just plead the fifth there. If memory serves Martin Shkreli's lawyer was advising doing that; as in just show up and say "no comment" a lot. Of course he's going to jail for a long time anyway but still. This is why the phrase "no comment" or "I decline to comment" just shows up everywhere in relation to not only anything that might be incriminating but also embarrassing or privileged. "My response is that I'm not responding in any way that says anything;" it's the "I neither confirm nor deny it" answer.

This is also part of why in huge investigations smaller players will get lighter sentences in return for cooperation. Didn't the Mueller investigation clearly do this in a few cases? As in "hey bro, you are guilty as gently caress but we'll give you 2 years instead of 40 if you help us bring down all the other people involved."

In any event I'm not a lawyer but even I can tell you that going on national television and taunting major law enforcement people like that is probably not the best of ideas.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This is also part of why in huge investigations smaller players will get lighter sentences in return for cooperation. Didn't the Mueller investigation clearly do this in a few cases? As in "hey bro, you are guilty as gently caress but we'll give you 2 years instead of 40 if you help us bring down all the other people involved."

Yeah, it's what Muller has done with both Flynn and Gates, as both were staring down much heavier charges than the ones they eventually plead out to.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

They would most likely try to find something against him, to indict him, then offer him a plea bargain, if he testifies about something bad against Trump.
1 posted on 3/5/2018, 3:13:05 PM by Innovative
"Trump is 100% not guilty but they'd find SOMETHING to charge him with!!" is Freep's official position.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Duke Igthorn posted:

"Trump is 100% not guilty but they'd find SOMETHING to charge him with!!" is Freep's official position.

This has been their position since the beginning, it's basically Mueller is fishing to find something, anything on Trump and company that when whatever the end product is it won't matter at all so better not even check everyone out and just let it go. Basically no matter what they find it won't be anywhere nearly as bad as anything that Obama, Hillary, Holder...etc. ever did.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I'm just hovering, waiting to hear their response from Daniels suing Trump.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xiahou Dun posted:

quote:

To: Blogger
Who?

2 posted on 3/6/2018, 10:13:27 PM by NRx (A man of integrity passes his father's civilization to his son, without selling it off to strangers.)

The thread on it just started, some of they are pretty slow on the update of info because they only get their news from freep.

and an out of context freep accidently get's it right.

quote:

To: hapnHal
Are the Democrats finished?

No and I’ll tell you why — if you assume that voters in general are as aware of what’s happening as you are, then you are gravely mistaken.

An ignorant voting public who vote on style over substance will be the bane of this country yet. You will see this once again in 2018.

3 posted on 3/6/2018, 10:15:29 PM by SeekAndFind

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Plinkey posted:

No and I’ll tell you why — if you assume that voters in general are as aware of what’s happening as you are, then you are gravely mistaken.

An ignorant voting public who vote on style over substance will be the bane of this country yet. You will see this once again in 2018.

3 posted on 3/6/2018, 10:15:29 PM by SeekAndFind

Yes if there's ONE THING I'd call the 2016 election.

It would be.

The triumph.

Of.

"Substance".

Over "Style".

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Duke Igthorn posted:

It would be.
The triumph.
Of.
"Substance".
Over "Style".
Substance Abuse doesn't count?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ah freep, the the bastion of christian conservatism

quote:

To: Blogger
If Trump had consensual sex with a bunch of sluts I don't care... paid or not.
Now if he raped women like Bill Clinton did - or had police escort women to a hotel room and exposed himself to them like Clinton did to Paula - that would matter. But sex with a slut? Don't care.

63 posted on 3/7/2018, 1:13:47 AM by GOPJ (Trump isn't starting a trade war - he's trying to end the trade war against the USA - Iron Munro)

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Duke Igthorn posted:

My vague impression is that a part of Freep is saying "look, if you dig far enough into *anybody's* life you're going to find something you can prosecute."

Why yes, yes Freep, if you dig far into my life you're sure to find I committed treason by collaborating a foreign power to sway a US election. It's gotta be in there somewhere.

quote:

Dammit, you made me go dig up the actual stats: https://www.npr.org/2016/10/23/498890836/poll-white-evangelicals-have-warmed-to-politicians-who-commit-immoral-acts

Shortly prior to the election, NPR reported:

That's what a new PRRI/Brookings poll says. In 2011, 30 percent of white evangelicals said that "an elected official who commits an immoral act in their personal life can still behave ethically and fulfill their duties in their public and professional life." Now, 72 percent say so — a far bigger swing than other religious groups the poll studied.

EDIT: I haven't done a Freep on Weed post in a while, but not seeing anything too exciting in the last few weeks. The one exception being this amazing post:

quote:

Drugs are sorcery !

10 posted on 3/2/2018, 7:00:50 PM by Reverend Wright (I am a Putin bot and I approve this message.)

Mods? Title change?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 7, 2018

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dammit, you made me go dig up the actual stats: https://www.npr.org/2016/10/23/498890836/poll-white-evangelicals-have-warmed-to-politicians-who-commit-immoral-acts

Shortly prior to the election, NPR reported:

That's what a new PRRI/Brookings poll says. In 2011, 30 percent of white evangelicals said that "an elected official who commits an immoral act in their personal life can still behave ethically and fulfill their duties in their public and professional life." Now, 72 percent say so — a far bigger swing than other religious groups the poll studied.

hahah, i was posting that, with that poll in mind but couldn't find it :v:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Let me remind everyone that a body of Freepers, and plenty more people like them on Facebook and Twitter, no-poo poo consider Trump to be the modern-day equivalent of Cyrus the Great. Cyrus was a Persian king who released the Jews held captive in Babylon and let them go back to Jerusalem. He's a go-to option when hardcore Evangelicals find the need to justify supporting an obvious unbeliever who still does the exact Right Thing.

I'm not loving kidding, just google "cyrus the great trump" and you'll find scads of articles and tweets drawing this comparison. It provides a convenient rebuttal to anyone pointing out that Trump is a church-avoiding thrice-married adulterer: "well, the Lord often chooses an unusual vessel, so we need to concentrate on the end and not the means."

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
So how does freep, à site proclaiming to be for small govt, feel about the proposed tariffs?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Fathis Munk posted:

So how does freep, à site proclaiming to be for small govt, feel about the proposed tariffs?

Dude, if Trump advocated wearing your underpants on your head, the nation would see a sudden uptick in tighty-whitey-related car accidents.

Without even looking, I will bet you:

-- If Trump says tariffs, Freep will say: "thank God, a President who stands up for America!"
-- If Trump says zero tariffs, Freep will say: "Hurrah, for the Free Market, take that liberal swine!"

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Dammit Fathis Munk you made me go look. This is just a sample of many, many threads on the issue:

Oh good! Some "don't worry, Trump doesn't mean anything he says."

quote:

GOOD!

We’ve been the VICTIMS of unfair trade practices for years.

I bet he does not even need to implement them, before THEY back down and remove their trade barriers.

4 posted on 3/6/2018, 11:09:43 AM by Mr. K (No consequence of repealing Obamacare is worse than Obamacare itself.)

What the gently caress is "price gouging"? Don't you mean "charging what the market will bear", FRiend???

quote:

A retaliatory trade tariff I can get on board with to level the field of competition. A protectionist tariff to preserve struggling non-competitive industries I can not.

Like so many times in the past, even talk of tariffs has already become an excuse for raising prices. Wheeler steel went up just about 10% over the weekend and will not honor their published prices on their web site.

Sort of smacks of price gouging doesn’t it?

Expect to see more and more of it. When the President opens the door to excuses for raising prices business walks through with permission. Greed rules the world. Inflation does not do anyone any good but greed does not care.

7 posted on 3/6/2018, 11:13:42 AM by Sequoyah101 (It feels like we have exchanged our dreams for survival. We just have a few days that don't suck.)

So did we have eight solid years of them never saying "bravo"?

quote:

Exactly.
We have been taken advantage of for decades.

It’s time it stops.

Bravo to Trump.

8 posted on 3/6/2018, 11:13:46 AM by tennmountainman ("Prophet Mountainman" Predicter Of All Things RINO...for a small fee.)

Pfft, Trump in advocating incinerating mounds of puppies with napalm and *now* the GOP gets all vocal?

EDIT: Also please take a headcount of the GOP politicians who spent eight years never criticizing Obama.

quote:

Amazing, isn't it. There's a long list of Republicans who could hardly bring themselves to criticize Obama or substantially oppose his policies, but they suddenly grow a spine and a loud mouth when it's time to attack Trump for keeping a campaign promise.

16 posted on 3/6/2018, 11:25:20 AM by ek_hornbeck

Good luck supporting the world's largest military.

quote:

Because the end, in the end these politicians are all beholding and respond to their donors and big business.

We once produced everything here, then things changed.

We can do that again. There should no tax, none on products produced here. None.

35 posted on 3/6/2018, 2:11:52 PM by nikos1121 (Tax cuts should be retro-active to January 1, 2017!!!!)

This is one of the few times I've ever heard someone recommend that a politician act "more like Ross Perot".

quote:

I wish President Trump would publish some of the trade deals we have made and how lopsided they are - actual percentages, etc. Kinda like Perot used to do with charts on TV. Then ask anyone complaining “How can you justify this?”

I tweeted him on this, not expecting an answer, but perhaps putting a bug in his/someone’s ear.

36 posted on 3/6/2018, 7:14:46 PM by Oatka

God loving dammit, they're back with QAnon again:

quote:

Q posts are implying there’s something else going on with steel. US military using sub-standard steel? Japan steel CEO resigning. People knew? Deliberate?

Tariffs will change the landscape...seems too related.

23 posted on 3/6/2018, 11:50:24 AM by fuzzylogic (welfare state = sharing consequences of poor moral choices among everybody)

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 7, 2018

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Is Freep the last bastion of Sarah Palin fans?

Sarah Palin: Trump Is ‘Trying to Win’ a Trade War ‘We’ve Been Fighting for Decades’

I will present only one single post:

quote:

The most brilliant comment on the topic so far.

16 posted on 3/6/2018, 9:21:48 AM by Mr. K (No consequence of repealing Obamacare is worse than Obamacare itself.)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Dammit Fathis Munk you made me go look. This is just a sample of many, many threads on the issue:

Haha ofc!

Thank you for your service TTFA :patriot:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Fathis Munk posted:

Haha ofc!

Thank you for your service TTFA :patriot:

You mean invading Iraq, or reporting on Freep? Or either/or?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh, they are so nuts I need to start up my elasticsearch cluster again.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

You mean invading Iraq, or reporting on Freep? Or either/or?

The second tbh. :v:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Keeshhound posted:

Bail is only for if you're imprisoned prior to a trial. If you're declared in contempt, there isn't a trial; the judging body already determined you "guilty" of the offense, that's why they judged you to be in contempt in the first place.

This. If you don't show the default is guilty. So then it's game on to see if you can beat the feds to the Mexico border

Xiahou Dun posted:

Every sexism joke/slang you can imagine coupled with every porn joke/slang you can imagine. None of it will debate whether she's right or wrong, just a bunch of slander circling around "whore" being the reason she should get lost. Possibly some death threats

Duke Igthorn posted:

It would be.

The triumph.

Of.

"Substance".

Over "Style".

Technically it was. Trump is everything they wanted as a president. A big bully that's dumb enough to speak his mind and threaten everyone that dare question Admiral-General Barron von Trump the First

Plinkey posted:

Funny, they went batshit loony over a consensual blowjob. I wonder why that mattered but all of Trump's deviancy doesn't?

So did we have eight solid years of them never saying "bravo"?

Hell, they wouldn't even give props when Obama had Bin Laden taken down

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 7, 2018

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Is Freep the last bastion of Sarah Palin fans?

Sarah Palin: Trump Is ‘Trying to Win’ a Trade War ‘We’ve Been Fighting for Decades’

I will present only one single post:

Has Freep moved protectionism and trade wars over to 'Our golden calf can do no wrong and so this must be a good idea' yet?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Someone in the CanPol thread took some Voat screenshots :

Typo posted:

meanwhile: voat

"Submitted by Lazmat." Could it be...?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wtf is voat? some kind of anything-goes reddit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah, it's the right's reddit knock off.