Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Phi230 posted:

What the gently caress even is a mayfly

The elf sucks

a mayfly is a kind of fly that has an extremely short lifespan, you see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Phi230 posted:

What the gently caress even is a mayfly

The elf sucks

Stupid elves have stupid long lifespans so they call other races mayfly because the mayfly bug has a very short lifespan. Basically she’s making fun of them for dying sooner then she will via old age

Also the elf being an rear end in a top hat during the end times is kind of funny because she had future sight all this poo poo was gonna go down and could have actively prevented it but she wanted to be *~free of fate~* so she ran off to live in the woods without telling anyone. That’s why she has the line apologizing to The Weave for letting the rats and chaos do all this poo poo

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 7, 2018

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Stupid elves have stupid long lifespans so they call other races mayfly because the mayfly bug has a very short lifespan. Basically she’s making fun of them for dying sooner then she will via old age

But every elf runs off away from the party and gets killed by a swarm

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Phi230 posted:

But every elf runs off away from the party and gets killed by a swarm

literally just happened to me except it was a chaos warrior and a hook rat

they later died again to a patrol we could of walked past

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Remind me never to play with Lunethex because he just does everything, as everyone.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
So does the game go live at midnight CET? Does that mean us in North America might be able to kill some rats on new maps tonight?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
19:00 CET again

Orv
May 4, 2011

Inside Out Mom posted:

So does the game go live at midnight CET? Does that mean us in North America might be able to kill some rats on new maps tonight?

Standard Steam release time; 10AM PST/1PM EST/etc

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think this is gonna feel like another phase of the beta given how much they’re pushing back for after release and the fact that they still haven’t publicly beta tested half the maps

I hope there’s another wheat and chaff situation where the intro cutscene pans back to reveal that everyone has already been punched off a cliff by roger

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Blocked enemies take 50% more damage + Ironbreaker taunt = :getin: my drengbarazi.

I'm sure we're all on the "Fatshark / CA new canon" train where the events of Vermintide and Total Warhammer save the world and blow a raspberry to Age of Sigmar. Growing up I thought 40k was the cool poo poo and WHF was boring derivative nonsense but have I ever realized how wrong I was (OK I still like 40k). Go read posts in the Ask/Tell forum's history threads about Early Modern Germany to learn about the shenanigans of real world Krubers, everybody!

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Yardbomb posted:

That's probably a pretty safe "No" at least, AoS has only really become "Okay" as a wargame and people still near unanimously dislike the setting.

I would argue the majority of tabletop players/warhammer fantasy fans just ignore AoS or pretend like it doesn't exist or isn't canon because it is that atrociously bad.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Yeah WHFB is basically "What if the Holy Roman Empire but also lizardmen and rat people" and it owns

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

Yeah WHFB is basically "What if the Holy Roman Empire / German history but also lizardmen and rat people" and it owns

:getin:

This. Play Total Warhammer II, write your own story advancement. :wooper:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Lizardmen live in Warhammer South America.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just noticed Sir Kruber has KRUBER written on one of his pauldrons. :allears:

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Night10194 posted:

How else are you going to know who he is?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Night10194 posted:

If the Empire lore is accurate, he's probably the son of the Duke of Hass, which is inscribed on his cloak as a Knight. Hass is probably a province of eastern Reikland. This is kind of backed up by the fact that he's not wearing any knightly order heraldry but his pauldron badge is the symbol of the Empire of Man, and the color pattern is that of the Reikland troops. Which means he was probably some kind of officer among them.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 7, 2018

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Kimsemus posted:

:getin:

This. Play Total Warhammer II, write your own story advancement. :wooper:

I shot Archaon with cannons until he died

it ruled

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Saltz feels pretty weak to me. What is his good stuff?

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

Grondoth posted:

I shot Archaon with cannons until he died

it ruled

Actually, the Skaven rule, and they love telling everyone who will listen before they get shot, bludgeoned, stabbed, or burned.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I like that the skaven give you helpful advice while you're playing.

"RARR! Stick together!"

"Oh yeah, hey guys we're getting a little split. Thanks homie"

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Tenzarin posted:

Rapier and volley crossbow. I've seen other people swear by the falchion, too. Pretty sure Bounty Hunter is strictly superior to either of the other two careers, but I also have a soft spot for Witch Hunter Captain (it's probably the hat).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Digirat posted:

I think this is gonna feel like another phase of the beta given how much they’re pushing back for after release and the fact that they still haven’t publicly beta tested half the maps

I hope there’s another wheat and chaff situation where the intro cutscene pans back to reveal that everyone has already been punched off a cliff by roger

To be fair, that is the same thing they did with OG VT beta and it turned out okay. I don't remember any outright broken maps, just a lot of exploits

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zhulik posted:

Rapier and volley crossbow. I've seen other people swear by the falchion, too. Pretty sure Bounty Hunter is strictly superior to either of the other two careers, but I also have a soft spot for Witch Hunter Captain (it's probably the hat).

That's what I've usually used and I can fight hordes or armored but when its ever mixed it just ends super bad. It feels like I need to just follow a teammate and help him with one of those and hope they don't die.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 7, 2018

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Tenzarin posted:

Get to bounty hunter, get the repeater pistol, and laugh as you now have a delete button for most things between that and your pistol shot special.

Don't underestimate guys abilities because he doesn't have a Warhammer or an unending bolt staff massacre lined up. The rapier is among the fastest weapons in the game and gets work done on hordes while having an oh poo poo button for someone getting pounced. The hatchet is still quick and will also be a stout can opener. The falchion serves as a middle ground between spammy fast weapon and hardened armor slayer. The ranged weapons are all useful and well rounded (if maybe short on ammo for the brace) and reasonably accurate.

Which hunter is very much a support type guy with his active, but it makes everyone real good while it's up. Bounty hunter gets the previously mentioned delete button and generally crits like crazy. Zealot is.... Ehh, I'm not real familiar with that one, someone else could sound off on it though.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Kimsemus posted:

If the Empire lore is accurate, he's probably the son of the Duke of Hass, which is inscribed on his cloak as a Knight. Hass is probably a province of eastern Reikland. This is kind of backed up by the fact that he's not wearing any knightly order heraldry but his pauldron badge is the symbol of the Empire of Man, and the color pattern is that of the Reikland troops. Which means he was probably some kind of officer among them.

When he was a soldier, he was lieutenant of the 8th Ostland Swordsmen. As a knight, he was invited to join the Order of the Reikshammer. His family were just farmers though.

Digirat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGwDmDwspFg

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

That's what I've usually used and I can fight hordes or armored but when its ever mixed it just ends super bad. It feels like I need to just follow a teammate and help him with one of those and hope they don't die.

I mean, that's the name of the game, man. If a dude can solo a horde and armored enemies at the same time, rest assured that they're either extremely good, lucky, or are using some imbalanced thing that'll get patched out eventually.

DeathSandwich posted:

Zealot is.... Ehh, I'm not real familiar with that one, someone else could sound off on it though.

I've been using Zealot pretty often; he's very tricky to use since his ability set rewards reckless aggression, but unlike Slayer his active ability will always force him to charge so his best bet for activating the attack speed buff safely is to charge into a wall, which costs precious time. Generally wading into a crowd calls for a heavy blunt weapon for knockdown spam too, but the Flail isn't quite good at that IMO, while Bardin has a 2H Hammer. I want to like Zealot more but I think he needs a buff to the Flail, if you don't want to use Rapier with it.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 7, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The rapier's one of the most flexible weapons. It'll do solidly against hordes and it's charged attack is pretty good against armor but you need to be headshot hunting with it. I wouldn't say it is excellent in any one role but it won't slouch anywhere either, so honestly it should be really strong in mixed groups. It does feel weak against hordes, for sure, but it will keep you from being hit really well. It also rewards headshots a decent amount.

The falchion is the slower, harder-hitting cousin with a smaller coverage on the quick attack. It's strong attack is basically a slower, larger, stronger quick attack.

I really want kerillian's longsword moveset on saltzypyre's longsword, unrelatedly.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
what determines how well a weapon penetrates targets? like, how many targets front-to-back a coach gun or handgun will hit, i mean.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

what determines how well a weapon penetrates targets? like, how many targets front-to-back a coach gun or handgun will hit, i mean.

The weapon's innate attributes and Hero Power. Unfortunately, both of these are poorly documented so you'll have to try it out on the test dummies and hope they aren't being inaccurate, or learn by experience.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Some unknown combination of hero power and individual weapon properties.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Tenzarin posted:

yeah you are describing a worst case scenario and it SHOULD be super bad. you should definitely be following teammates... all the time... goons have already put out videos showing the basics of the game which includes the necessary combination of strikers and crowd controllers and how they need to work together. Stepping up into the higher difficulties will just put you into more and more situations that you cannot solo even with the best gear/talents etc in the game.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

toasterwarrior posted:

The weapon's innate attributes and Hero Power. Unfortunately, both of these are poorly documented so you'll have to try it out on the test dummies and hope they aren't being inaccurate, or learn by experience.

If this document is accurate

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qO2oe8v0yX2rbR126UoDeIFQ7Eto5wMXmV-qKMHp3rM/edit#gid=1271422591

I suspect it is mass of weapon compared to mass of what you are hitting and I suspect it will be subtractive so if you have 4 monsters with mass 1, 1, 2, and 3 and a weapon with a mass of 3, you will hit 1 or 2 of them but never 3 of them.

The only thing is some weapons have pierce which isn't on there.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

"always one fewer than you'd want" seems like a good rule of thumb

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

jubelio posted:

yeah you are describing a worst case scenario and it SHOULD be super bad. you should definitely be following teammates... all the time... goons have already put out videos showing the basics of the game which includes the necessary combination of strikers and crowd controllers and how they need to work together. Stepping up into the higher difficulties will just put you into more and more situations that you cannot solo even with the best gear/talents etc in the game.

Nah it feels like the dwarf, the elf, and kruber can all handle getting surrounded. Lol at pubs doing any striking or crowd controlling, its all face rolling.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
So has it been confirmed that we can play the full game at midnight tonight?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Agrajag posted:

So has it been confirmed that we can play the full game at midnight tonight?

Orv posted:

Standard Steam release time; 10AM PST/1PM EST/etc

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Tenzarin posted:

Nah it feels like the dwarf, the elf, and kruber can all handle getting surrounded. Lol at pubs doing any striking or crowd controlling, its all face rolling.

Ironbreaker is extremely capable at pulling out some clutch wins if your pub team all dies and you're the only one left standing.

It's passive + active ability, and some kiting works really well.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Tenzarin posted:

It gets more important at the higher difficulties when you can't just kill everything dead in 2 hits and the huntsman / sienna can't just wildly fire indiscriminately anymore due to friendly fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Is it also safe to assume we’ll see a progression wipe before it goes live?

• Locked thread