Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i'm pretty sure i've read many posts from liverpool and united fans arguing, player for player, they actually have better squads

i doubt united fans would say that this season but liverpool fans are delusional enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is City's squad really more expensive than chelsea? chelsea love spending £30m on a poo poo player

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I think (could be wrong, can't be arsed to look) Liverpool/Spurs are the current "surprise" league positions when it comes to spend. City's is the most expensive ever assembled in the Premier League, ours isn't far behind (so the points gap is still embarrassing), Liverpool and Spurs have both spent less than Chelsea and Arsenal, particularly when wages are taken into account.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/CharlieWyett/status/971321302123507714

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fans/media bitch when England managers pick on name/big club status instead of picking in form players

*England manager considers call up for in form player*

:supaburn:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
English football is a joke tbh, they should be lucky that all the good foreign players and managers will deal with living on that desolate shitrock for the money

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can someone look up for me how many good sides are managed by English managers? Maybe I'm wrong about how bad English football is

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lol that Walcott and Welbeck are so bad that an ancient shitclub striker gets called up

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Was wondering who else they had and of course Sturridge is injured again

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
surely its kane then vardy then rashford then daylight then crouchie then the ghost of jermaine defoe then daylight again

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Xabi posted:

I'm pretty sure you haven't.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Jose posted:

is City's squad really more expensive than chelsea? chelsea love spending £30m on a poo poo player

Yes, by a long way

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

loving lol everton

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i'm pretty sure i've read many posts from liverpool and united fans arguing, player for player, they actually have better squads

for the purposes of this experiment, let's assume that all of our players are perfectly spherical zlatans in a vacuum

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Glenn Murray is class he gave all three Swansea centrebacks a right roasting.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
alex oxlade chamberlain is better than I thought he'd be and is a lot of fun to watch

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

bewbies posted:

alex oxlade chamberlain is better than I thought he'd be and is a lot of fun to watch

I wonder what other players will turn out not to be poo poo after they leave arsenal?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If he's getting a charity call-up for a meaningless friendly, good for him. its a friendly, no one gives a poo poo

If its a serious call-up for the World Cup run-in, uh

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Arsenal players are supposedly pretty miffed about their wage divide:

https://talksport.com/football/arsenal-fc-news-gunners-stars-unsettled-pay-divide-club-180307274664

quote:

German playmaker Ozil signed a £350,000-a-week deal with the Premier League side at the end of Janaury, while Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang are the club’s next highest earners with weekly wages of £200,000 and £180,000.

Those deals have left a gulf in the pay structure of the club, and some of the Gunners players are said to be resentful of their high-earning team-mates.

The issue is likely to be problematic for Arsenal, who are set to open contract talks with a number of players over the next few weeks and months.

One of those is Jack Wilshere, who is still yet to pen an extension to his current contract which is due to expire in the summer.

Arsenal have an offer on the table for the England international but, because it features a pay cut to his basic wage, he has so far refused to sign it.

It means they could lose the 26-year-old midfielder for nothing in the summer.

The club are also yet to make any progress with Aaron Ramsey, Danny Welbeck and Nacho Monreal, whose contracts expire at the end of next season, while both No.1 and No.2 goalkeepers Petr Cech and David Ospina are due to become free agents in 2019.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm sure this will happen

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/971384520808255488

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

It's kind of wild Arsenal aren't worse off than they are, considering how badly they are running this thing into the ground.

Though I guess the top 6 does just spend a ton more than everyone else, except for Everton (lol)

gtkor fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 7, 2018

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

The substance is concentrated Wayne Rooney

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Why bother?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Glenn Murray might as well go to the World Cup, why not? Who's a better choice as 4th choice striker? He's scored more goals this season than Rashford has in the last two combined and gives us Something Different Off The Bench That They Won't Be Used To Dealing With in the time-honoured tradition of Carroll/Crouch etc.

Kane
Vardy
Rashford I guess
Murray?

Seems fine for a quarter-final exit. We're hosed if Kane gets injured and semi-hosed anyway because England so who cares?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wilshere won't get half what he's on at Arsenal anywhere else.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Seems like this is only a problem because the high paid players are playing like trash? I would think that most teams have players that make considerably more than the others.

sassassin posted:

Wilshere won't get half what he's on at Arsenal anywhere else.

Supposedly he was told to take a pay cut for a contract extension. I guess he didn’t do that.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Not even Ivan can stop are boys from winning. Its coming home lads

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i forgot about this but it seems funnier now

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

Strawman posted:

I wonder what other players will turn out not to be poo poo after they leave arsenal?

unfortunately not alexis sanchez

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It took oxlade-chamberlain a while to get the arsenal failure out of him

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Which player was it that was injured all the time at Arsenal, and as soon as he left he was fit. Because it turned out they made him train in the wrong way or something stupid?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

shut up blegum posted:

Which player was it that was injured all the time at Arsenal, and as soon as he left he was fit. Because it turned out they made him train in the wrong way or something stupid?

All of them

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

shut up blegum posted:

I’m not sure this happened tbh.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't van Persie manage two full seasons starting regularly at United before he finally broke again? Also Clichy and Sagna seemed to lose any troubles after going to City. Whatever happened to Kieran Gibbs?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Ninpo posted:

Whatever happened to Kieran Gibbs?

He got banished to WBA.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Ninpo posted:

Didn't van Persie manage two full seasons starting regularly at United before he finally broke again? Also Clichy and Sagna seemed to lose any troubles after going to City. Whatever happened to Kieran Gibbs?

Van Persie actually had a couple seasons at Arsenal where he was relatively healthy before he went to United. Sagna and Clichy were relatively healthy when they were at Arsenal, but I suppose they got better when they left. I think Gibbs died idk.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Wasn't Fabianski injured all the time at Arsenal and has now been healthy for years at Swansea?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Bellerin's got some ligament damage apparently, lol

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

MrBling posted:

He got banished to WBA.

i thought that was Ox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo