Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Endless Mike posted:

HE'S DIDN'T HAVE TO TAKE AN ETHICS COURSE AND IS NOW DRAWING UP PLANS FOR AN ART INSTALLATION THAT CAN PERMANENTLY DEAFEN ANYONE WHO GETS SOMEWHAT CLOSE WHILE IT'S OPERATING

Sagebrush posted:

well there's no need to bring godwin into it but it's pretty god damned sophomoric. every single kid in art school goes through a "the world is poo poo, everything is dirt" phase and every girl in art school a "something involving my vagina" phase. it's not creative, just outrageous, and that just barely. it has no meaning or message.

art can be a lamp, a hammer, or a mirror. which is this? i say it's trying to be a hammer but it's one of those inflatable plastic ones that makes a squeaky noise when you hit it.

i didn't say it was good. there's not very much reason to attempt any sort of response to interior scroll in tyool 2010 imo, much less how she pulled it off, but 4chan's response to it is almost certainly "this degenerate cultural marxist sjw is why postmodernism is bad"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

well there's no need to bring godwin into it but it's pretty god damned sophomoric. every single kid in art school goes through a "the world is poo poo, everything is dirt" phase and every girl in art school a "something involving my vagina" phase. it's not creative, just outrageous, and that just barely.

art can be a lamp, a hammer, or a mirror. which is this? i say it's trying to be a hammer but it's one of those inflatable plastic ones that makes a squeaky noise when you hit it.

yeah my biggest gripe with the thing itself is that it's derivative, pointlessly confrontational and edgy for no reason, and even that would have been fine if the execution wasn't just so loving bad

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sagebrush posted:

here is one of the more famous recent pieces of performance art, "interior semiotics," where a college girl shoves canned ravioli up her hooha

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2qe112

the video is mostly sfw (except for one moment where you can maybe see some bush) and so, so, so painfully awkward

it's no butter dance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnPNr9yquuc

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

i didn't say it was good. there's not very much reason to attempt any sort of response to interior scroll in tyool 2010 imo, much less how she pulled it off

you know you're having fun with your horn if you have to measure it in kilopascals instead of decibels

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also idk if you can call this performance art but i've always enjoyed this wonderful performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D750pEKhfd0

she just goes into full drunk aunt at a party mode and the flaming lips do their best to work with it :allears:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
one of my favorite pieces of recent video art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE3RlrVEyuo

ate all the Oreos posted:

you know you're having fun with your horn if you have to measure it in kilopascals instead of decibels

i wish they'd tested theirs with more than 210w of heating power, that's just wimpy

e: some japanese researchers made one that runs off waste heat from a car engine and produces a continuous tone at a sound pressure level of 176 decibels. for reference, the "bang" half of a flashbang grenade is around 170

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 7, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

i didn't say it was good. there's not very much reason to attempt any sort of response to interior scroll in tyool 2010 imo, much less how she pulled it off, but 4chan's response to it is almost certainly "this degenerate cultural marxist sjw is why postmodernism is bad"

did "sjw" even exist as a term in 2010? seems more recent than that.

ah, also in grad school i saw a bunch of experimental theater/dance stuff and man was it ever weird. the one i remember most distinctly had four people walking on treadmills while a voice talked about the history of water in arizona. then they all got into the middle of the stage and started dancing (moving, anyway) around each other while a powerful voice chanted TOGETHER. APART. COLLAPSE. EXPAND. REPEAT. and such and each word triggered a different specific dance move. eventually it faded to black and everyone clapped.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

SF police are just as racist as police anywhere else in the US hth.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

did "sjw" even exist as a term in 2010? seems more recent than that.

between then and 2012-ish is about when it started being a thing iirc, or at least that's when there were first mock threads on PYF about them (back when it meant tumblr transracial otherkin and not "literally anyone who doesn't actively fight against feminism")

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

infernal machines posted:

aren't there like a million health and safety regulations that say you can't have a giant hole in the floor without a big fuckoff railing around it, for what would appear to be obvious reasons?

the same hall later had an installation where Ai Weiwei filled it with tonnes of ceramic sunflower seeds that visitors could pick up.
then they realised how much dust all those rubbing together was generating for us to breath in.

the Tate aren't great at H&S

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Cerv posted:

They can brand themselves as the Action Park of modern art.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

atomicthumbs posted:

Legend has it that in the hospital, Paul Kos told [a guy who almost didn't fall out of a tree's] parents it was the worst piece he had ever seen, and left

Sagebrush posted:

i have a friend who used to lecture in the ceramics dept and she quit doing it in part because, quote, "i just couldn't take another goddamned clay vagina"

I've changed my mind: artists are hilarious.

also i clicked on those youtube links expecting this :nws:? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IwBO_-fUmk :nws: but did not see it

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 7, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

between then and 2012-ish is about when it started being a thing iirc, or at least that's when there were first mock threads on PYF about them (back when it meant tumblr transracial otherkin and not "literally anyone who doesn't actively fight against feminism")

yeah it more or less started on tumblr with people complaining about people who would go off about being, as noted transracial otherkin. it of course evolved and is mostly used literal nazis as a pejorative for anyone who is not a literal nazi.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i saw the artist is present irl and i was like this is boring and the whole museum was weird and i don't like any art i discovered.

trains, on the other hand, are super cool.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
didn't some performance artist literally shoot them self in the chest or some crazy poo poo?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

eh, it's the difference between a linear measure and a logarithmic measure of the same quantity

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Parker Gail's Location Is Everything

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

yeah the rich sv suburbs have the taxbase to fully staff their police and low crime so the police have to do a lot of minor vehicle stops in order to justify their jobs

i would sometimes drive home very late at night on el camino real between palo alto and mtn view. i learned very quickly to travel at exactly the speed limit, even though the road was completely empty and even though i was dead tired and just wanted to get home asap (i kept myself awake by counting the number of cop cars that slowly passed me)

i used to work w/ a guy who lived in foster city and he had received multiple tickets for chirping his tires pulling outta gas station driveways

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i used to work w/ a guy who lived in foster city and he had received multiple tickets for chirping his tires pulling outta gas station driveways

wait like when your brakes just make that squeaky sound cuz they have a thin layer of oxidation on them, or like he made them squeal due to them slipping on the pavement? because i'm not even sure the first one is possible to avoid :psyduck:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

wait like when your brakes just make that squeaky sound cuz they have a thin layer of oxidation on them, or like he made them squeal due to them slipping on the pavement? because i'm not even sure the first one is possible to avoid :psyduck:

yes

also can happen if you graze the gutter pan where the driveway is transitioning back into the curb

foster city is kinda famous for having one of the lowest crime rates in the country? world? i forget - they’re planned community that essentially just exists so that rich people have a place to keep their boats

look up a satellite view it’s p funy how much of it is navigable canal

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
it’s like our own little Florida

also home to the most up style ranch market I’ve seen

Arcteryx Anarchist fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 7, 2018

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cerv posted:

the same hall later had an installation where Ai Weiwei filled it with tonnes of ceramic sunflower seeds that visitors could pick up.
then they realised how much dust all those rubbing together was generating for us to breath in.

I saw that installation but we weren't allowed to touch the seeds so I guess they got a letter from somebody

I liked the tate modern and I got to see one of my all time favorite pieces there but it is not the best london museum

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
there was no special exhibit in turbine hall when I visited but that place is an exhibit all by itself

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 7, 2018

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

https://twitter.com/emma_sandoe/status/971386344449691649

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

qirex posted:

I saw that installation but we weren't allowed to touch the seeds so I guess they got a letter from somebody

yeah also people were walking off with them

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
this is an excellent article by roger ebert about a prominent body artist: https://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/the-agony-of-the-body-artist

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Stymie posted:

this is an excellent article by roger ebert about a prominent body artist: https://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/the-agony-of-the-body-artist

:agreed: i'm the last person to call myself "an art guy" but i gave an interested "hm" at some of those ideas, like shelf-god

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ebert wrote about art in all these different types of media and definitively said that video games could not be art?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yep, and he was correct

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Stymie posted:

yep, and he was correct

stymie was correct

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol i love journalism in the future

https://twitter.com/AnnaDubenko/status/971432794864930819

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hobbesmaster posted:

ebert wrote about art in all these different types of media and definitively said that video games could not be art?

i prefer this other take

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Stymie posted:

yep, and he was correct

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

iheartradio, which owns basically every local radio station ever, is about to go bankrupt because bain capital missed an interest payment on their $20 billion leveraged buyout

hope you didn't like radio

phoenix is never gonna get cool radio stations besides the "urban adult contemporary" one and kjazz which i have a furious blinding rage for npr because they play npr until 8 pm

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

tell me there's a weatherman out there talking about butts formations

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Stymie posted:

yep, and he was correct

idk. i don't think it's necessarily impossible for video games to be art--that's not to say i know of anything produced thus far really fits that definition

NB: i don't really play video games, so take this for what it's worth (not much!!)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

President Beep posted:

idk. i don't think it's necessarily impossible for video games to be art--that's not to say i know of anything produced thus far really fits that definition

NB: i don't really play video games, so take this for what it's worth (not much!!)

feel like i just watched someone walk right into a bear trap, and it's funny b/c he's the new guy

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

feel like i just watched someone walk right into a bear trap, and it's funny b/c he's the new guy

lol i figured as much. this won't be the hill i die on, so i wouldn't expect too much of a show.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i like how 9 years is the new guy here
(it's been 13 years since i first set foot on this dead comedy forum)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my 10 year anniversary is coming up :toot: