Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gazpacho posted:

bash is documented, php is not

php is documented

https://eev.ee/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
just use perl like god intended

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

bash is, literally, unironically, and heart-felt as a past abuser, the worst language weirdly in current use

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

bash is, literally, unironically, and heart-felt as a past abuser, the worst language weirdly in current use

counterpoint: I know a graybeard who still writes csh

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

carry on then posted:

it's always hilarious when nerds who haven't even looked at java since 2002 try to lay sick burns on it

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes.

yes it is.

at least groovy has a debugger

there's a bunch of debuggers for bash

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it's almost as hilarious as nerds trying to tell me that in fact post-98 C++ is actually really good now

(the spec is now 4000 pages of additional poo poo piled on top of the original poo poo, but compilation is still single-pass and the stdlib still doesn't know what the gently caress the internet is)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

the stdlib still doesn't know what the gently caress the internet is

a good thing, imo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Gazpacho posted:

if you're not willing to deal with SNOBOL’s syntax in order to get a task done then maybe it's not worth doing in any language?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

a good thing, imo

yeah, if they’d added IP networking to the C++ stdlib they’d have insisted on anything representing an address reducing to 32 bits at compile time “for performance”

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
remember when the C++ guys tried to add a terrible 2D graphics API to C++, and it was a dumb idea, so they tried again, and then third time's the cha-- oh, nope. it's still going holy crap

also, this is just a wrapper library for cairo. in the stdlib. for some reason. it took them four tries

i'd love to see what they'd do with networking

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

remember when the C++ guys tried to add a terrible 2D graphics API to C++, and it was a dumb idea, so they tried again, and then third time's the cha-- oh, nope. it's still going holy crap

also, this is just a wrapper library for cairo. in the stdlib. for some reason. it took them four tries

I’m static const rgba_color& burly_wood() noexcept;

I should chat with whoever we have on the committee (if we even do nowadays) about this, see if there’s any inside laughs to be had

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i'm the "Strategy: Ship in two years" from the 2013 paper

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
shell is great for writing ad hoc pipelines, and then suddenly you've solved the problem so you want to save your solution for future use, so you copy it into a file and try to make it generic and add parameters and now you're hosed forever

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Gazpacho posted:

if you're not willing to deal with bash's syntax in order to get a task done then maybe you're a cool person with refined tastes.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

havent followed for a while, wasnt it just gonna be boost::asio wrapped up

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2016/n4588.pdf gently caress

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

yeah, if they’d added IP networking to the C++ stdlib they’d have insisted on anything representing an address reducing to 32 bits at compile time “for performance”

today's your lucky day

class address;
class address_v4;
class address_v6;
class address_iterator_v4;
class address_iterator_v6;
class address_range_v4;
class address_range_v6;
class network_v4;
class network_v6;
template<class InternetProtocol>
class basic_endpoint;
class basic_resolver_entry;
class basic_resolver_results;
class basic_resolver;
class tcp;
class udp;

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

2d graphics is so inherently platform dependent, why is the stl trying to tackle that? are they seriously that fickle

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Suspicious Dish posted:

1 page => 33 pages => 36 pages => 198 pages.

This is soon a fully grown C++ extension, and then it can join the pack.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Plorkyeran posted:

none of them come with the language, and none of them work

trust me i have ample reason to know this

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jcl might be worse

not sure if that counts as "common" though

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
You have to multiply the absolute badness of the language by its prevalence.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Doom Mathematic posted:

You have to multiply the absolute badness of the language by its prevalence.

bash is definitely more common than jcl, but jcl is common for some value of the word, and it might be more bad.

hard to say. when we are talking about poo poo like bash and jcl we are scraping bottom. like there's an absolute zero for how bad a language can be without being intentionally bad

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Brain Candy posted:

hmm

i'm gonna take this knowledge and lock it in a mental drawer labeled 'noooope' and actively forget it if that's okay

yeah that is a prudent choice

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
mirc script is objectively the worst language that I tried doing things on

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it's difficult rank bash as a bad language, because bash is good

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Suspicious Dish posted:

boost::asio

Hopefully properly redesigned :suicide:

Gazpacho posted:

it's difficult rank bash as a bad language, because bash is good

:wrong:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

jcl might be worse

not sure if that counts as "common" though

is it even really a language? feels more like markup to me

i mean there's even xjcl which is just an xml schema for specifying java batch jobs

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
bash has some really, honestly great ideas in it. like someone said above, it's fantastic for writing pipelines.

unfortunately, everything else

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
the best part about the insane 2d graphics proposal is that to ensure that it does not suffer the fate of previous large projects like concepts, they've decided that the sunk cost fallacy is actually a good thing and decreed that it must be obeyed. well we've spent 4 years on this and no one submitted a better proposal so now it's too late for you to argue that this is a terrible idea is not the most compelling argument for dumping a huge useless turd into the standard library

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
oh my god do they really have no graphics people at all on that committee. some guy from NVIDIA chimes in to say "maybe in 1996 this would be ok but today? lol no"

the guy going "maybe this 2d api can be implementable by OS-level APIs" "please point out where things are underspecified" clearly has never even looked at any other OS-level API in existence

also i didn't realize it had provisions to open up a window and display poo poo but not actually be able to retrieve input events. that's an amazing level of stupid

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Plorkyeran posted:

echo is not a debugger

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
also wtf there's a fifth revision? http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2018/p0267r7.pdf

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

everyone with any relevant domain knowledge noped out about 3 years ago

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

like there's an absolute zero for how bad a language can be without being intentionally bad

you've clearly never used any of the several languages i've created

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i'll have you know that i updated windows cmd shell scripts used in production last year

i quit the job sometime shortly after that and i don't think it was entirely coincidental

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hard to say. when we are talking about poo poo like bash and jcl we are scraping bottom. like there's an absolute zero for how bad a language can be without being intentionally bad

With programming languages and code in general I think it's more like how we measure gravitational potential. The absolutely perfect code, written in the absolutely perfect language, is completely neutral, a zero, and unattainable. Everything else (i.e., everything) is just varying degrees of negativity.

And yeah, there's no bottom.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

have u tried power shell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Suspicious Dish posted:

oh my god do they really have no graphics people at all on that committee. some guy from NVIDIA chimes in to say "maybe in 1996 this would be ok but today? lol no"

the guy going "maybe this 2d api can be implementable by OS-level APIs" "please point out where things are underspecified" clearly has never even looked at any other OS-level API in existence

also i didn't realize it had provisions to open up a window and display poo poo but not actually be able to retrieve input events. that's an amazing level of stupid

On the bright side, all this anti-2d api talk has finally gotten some core committee members to realize "oh, maybe a committee appointed de-facto package manager would be useful" and I'm vindicated from discussions at CppCon.

If the 2D API makes it in, it'll be the new export template.