Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

The Phlegmatist posted:

The whole thing is pretty much collapsing to the ground sooner than anyone anticipated, so...yeah.

It can't collapse soon enough:

https://twitter.com/scottheins/status/969747942713298945?s=21

Jesus Christ everything about this is infuriating. The WV teachers should occupy the statehouse until they get what they want and burn it down if they don't.

I hope this spreads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Virtue posted:

A months supply of a single medication could cost the insurance company more than that annual premium. I’m surprised it isn’t higher.

Hmmm. Hmmmmmmm.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Hahaha gently caress

Why Your Pharmacist Can’t Tell You That $20 Prescription Could Cost Only $8

These companies literally exist to rip you off.

The important thing to remember is that while that cash price may be lower it will ALSO mean that the amount you pay doesn't go towards your deductible or out-of-pocket maximum.

It seems independent pharmacists - like HealthMart's network - are keen on ignoring this.

I know my personal pharmacist almost always brings up the price difference for something like hydrocortisone lotion under the formulary rate vs the cash price. Anytime there's some ridiculous price discrepancy they just run it under insurance and then charge me no more than the cash price - they make up the cost difference themselves - so that it can be applied to the insurance deductible/OOP-max and I can save money. There's probably a contractual rule that doesn't allow this, but they've been in business for decades, have navigated through every insurance curveball thrown, and never seem phased by any of it.

They don't seem too worried about losing the money since I assume they just deduct it as a business expense since it's a rebate to the customer.

----

I don't see any ethical problems with it, either.

Your deductible/OOP-max are accrued in the same way when you have a prescription co-pay savings card from a manufacturer. Your insurance thinks you paid $100 to pick up that brand name drug, but the savings card knocked that down to $20. Which means you just "saved" $80 towards your deductible/OOP-max. Those co-pay savings cards easily save me and most of my friends/family hundreds to $1000+ each year.

It really amazes me that people will go back and argue with their doctor for a therapeutic alternative that's generic and would be $10 to pick up rather than spend the $20 on the brand name that came with a co-pay savings card that gave you a free $80 towards your deductible/OOP-max. Hell if anything I *encourage* people that have high healthcare utilization to go this route because it will really help bring down their costs in the long run...but a lot of people refuse to do it.

I know one couple this year that had their formulary brand name drugs with co-pay savings cards picked out in advance of the New Year. They got their scripts changed over if necessary in advance and made sure their first medical costs of the year were all pharmacy. Few days after the beginning of the year their refills are due, hit only the co-pay savings card ones, and since they have so many medications they hit their deductible on just filling those medications that day...but in reality they'd only spent a fraction of the cost because of the co-pay savings cards. I'm pretty sure by this time next week they'll have hit their OOP-max with only a bare minimum of office visits involved because they make sure any procedures and so on are pushed into mid-March or later if possible so they can maximize those co-pay savings cards. In the end they'll have likely saved thousands of dollars they never had to pay, but the insurance thinks they did, all because of those co-pay savings cards.

I really don't know why more people don't do this other than seriously not understanding how it can be to your benefit.

----

Then again I know a person that would rather spend several hundred dollars a month on CBD oil to help with an issue that would otherwise be solved for medication that would cost a fraction of that just because they refuse to go to a doctor and get a prescription.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wow why doesn't everyone just *absurdly and needlessly complex solution requiring specialized industry knowledge and that one pharmacy near my house which is willing to eat losses on customers' behalf and commit insurance fraud*, it's so simple!

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Crashrat posted:

I really don't know why more people don't do this other than seriously not understanding how it can be to your benefit.

You answered your own question. It's needlessly complicated and too many hoops to jump through for the vast majority of people who just want insurance to work the way they believe it should: by just paying the premiums and letting the insurance company by and large cover it.

It's utterly absurd that anyone would need to sit down and min/max their prescriptions in advance to make them remotely affordable. I guess you and that couple you know get some sort of thrill out of it like you're getting away with something but it's just another indication of a completely broken system that needs to be loving razed.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 3, 2018

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
View of some dude who experienced both American healthcare and the NHS:

https://www.businessinsider.in/What-Its-Like-When-Youre-An-American-Using-Britains-NHS/articleshow/46057777.cms

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Wow why doesn't everyone just *absurdly and needlessly complex solution requiring specialized industry knowledge and that one pharmacy near my house which is willing to eat losses on customers' behalf and commit insurance fraud*, it's so simple!

If you find a good independent pharmacy they'll do a lot of the heavy lifting (like yelling at insurance companies) for you. They hate PBMs and the major retail chains.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Crashrat posted:

The important thing to remember is that while that cash price may be lower it will ALSO mean that the amount you pay doesn't go towards your deductible or out-of-pocket maximum.

It seems independent pharmacists - like HealthMart's network - are keen on ignoring this.

I know my personal pharmacist almost always brings up the price difference for something like hydrocortisone lotion under the formulary rate vs the cash price. Anytime there's some ridiculous price discrepancy they just run it under insurance and then charge me no more than the cash price - they make up the cost difference themselves - so that it can be applied to the insurance deductible/OOP-max and I can save money. There's probably a contractual rule that doesn't allow this, but they've been in business for decades, have navigated through every insurance curveball thrown, and never seem phased by any of it.

They don't seem too worried about losing the money since I assume they just deduct it as a business expense since it's a rebate to the customer.

----

I don't see any ethical problems with it, either.

Your deductible/OOP-max are accrued in the same way when you have a prescription co-pay savings card from a manufacturer. Your insurance thinks you paid $100 to pick up that brand name drug, but the savings card knocked that down to $20. Which means you just "saved" $80 towards your deductible/OOP-max. Those co-pay savings cards easily save me and most of my friends/family hundreds to $1000+ each year.

It really amazes me that people will go back and argue with their doctor for a therapeutic alternative that's generic and would be $10 to pick up rather than spend the $20 on the brand name that came with a co-pay savings card that gave you a free $80 towards your deductible/OOP-max. Hell if anything I *encourage* people that have high healthcare utilization to go this route because it will really help bring down their costs in the long run...but a lot of people refuse to do it.

I know one couple this year that had their formulary brand name drugs with co-pay savings cards picked out in advance of the New Year. They got their scripts changed over if necessary in advance and made sure their first medical costs of the year were all pharmacy. Few days after the beginning of the year their refills are due, hit only the co-pay savings card ones, and since they have so many medications they hit their deductible on just filling those medications that day...but in reality they'd only spent a fraction of the cost because of the co-pay savings cards. I'm pretty sure by this time next week they'll have hit their OOP-max with only a bare minimum of office visits involved because they make sure any procedures and so on are pushed into mid-March or later if possible so they can maximize those co-pay savings cards. In the end they'll have likely saved thousands of dollars they never had to pay, but the insurance thinks they did, all because of those co-pay savings cards.

----

Then again I know a person that would rather spend several hundred dollars a month on CBD oil to help with an issue that would otherwise be solved for medication that would cost a fraction of that just because they refuse to go to a doctor and get a prescription.

Let's just say we do this and the drug in question is $900 for a 30 day supply. The manufacturer writes it off but our insurance thinks we paid that much toward our deductible. In fact we basically wait until March to make any appts because by then we have a fully funded deductible and everything is 85/15 afterward. Its literally the only way making this affordable for our family at the moment.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Co-pay savings aren't insurance fraud. Writing down the difference between the co-pay for a generic & the cash price isn't insurance fraud either nor does it require the one special pharmacy you have to know about. I know one local *VERY* large hospital group that runs its own retail pharmacies and they all do it without even asking you upfront.

If there's a method to help people save money by not paying expenses towards their deductible that's absolutely solid advice. From the insurance's perspective there's no *requirement* that you pay those expenses: it's just that those expenses are your responsibility. If the provider decides to not charge you or write it off then that's how you handled your responsibility.

It's like if you had an orthopedic brace and your provider bills the insurance - it comes back with you owing $500 - and you point out to the provider that you can buy this brace for $100 on Amazon. If the provider agrees to write down your cost to $100 then you've negotatied a reduction in your responsibility.

The post below by Koirhor is what I'm talking about.

Koirhor posted:

Let's just say we do this and the drug in question is $900 for a 30 day supply. The manufacturer writes it off but our insurance thinks we paid that much toward our deductible. In fact we basically wait until March to make any appts because by then we have a fully funded deductible and everything is 85/15 afterward. Its literally the only way making this affordable for our family at the moment.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It's utterly absurd that anyone would need to sit down and min/max their prescriptions in advance to make them remotely affordable. I guess you and that couple you know get some sort of thrill out of it like you're getting away with something but it's just another indication of a completely broken system that needs to be loving razed.

I'm not claiming that this approach is the best way to run the system - it clearly isn't - but that doesn't change the fact that this is the way the system works right now.

This is especially true when some family with $30k of post-tax income and a $3000/person deductible suddenly has major medical expenses and has no idea how they're going to make ends meet AND pay them.

If some teacher in West Virginia has to turn in their loving workout logs to be able to even keep their health insurance then I sure as gently caress don't have a problem with them maximizing the benefits of things like co-pay savings cards.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I suspect that the ‘workout logs’ thing is kind of overblown and the West Virginia teacher is hamming it up for dramatic effect. What is likely the case is that if she doesn’t do a moderate amount of physical activity and log it with a free pedometer or automatically on her phone’s pedometer, she won’t receive a $500 credit. If she only does a fraction of the steps requirement, she will only get a fraction of the credit.

I have a similar program at my work. It’s not as Draconian as the teacher makes it sound. It sucks that her premiums are greatly going up though—people really need to start applying pressure to providers and drug and device companies to lower costs.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

silence_kit posted:

I suspect that the ‘workout logs’ thing is kind of overblown and the West Virginia teacher is hamming it up for dramatic effect. What is likely the case is that if she doesn’t do a moderate amount of physical activity and log it with a free pedometer or automatically on her phone’s pedometer, she won’t receive a $500 credit. If she only does a fraction of the steps requirement, she will only get a fraction of the credit.

Employee "wellness" programs have been proven to be pretty ineffective at lowering employer premiums--although they are effective as far as giving employers more control over employees' personal lives and privacy preferences. I'm pretty sure such programs have been found to discriminate against certain racial and socioeconomic groups.*

Whether such programs have the material effect of artificially hiking premiums against wellness "credits" or just give out gift cards to those willing (or compelled) to cede their personal autonomy and privacy they're still wrong & immoral, and have done nothing to curb the rise in employer-provided healthcare premiums and out-of-pocket employee costs. They don't work, and have never been proven to work.

eta: *and the programs also discriminate against people with disabilities.

quote:

I have a similar program at my work. It’s not as Draconian as the teacher makes it sound. It sucks that her premiums are greatly going up though—people really need to start applying pressure to providers and drug and device companies to lower costs.

Or, alternatively, we could demand that the people who work on our behalf and have the actual power to regulate those industries aren't financially dependent on them, nor allow those industries to write the legislation that purportedly serves to regulate them.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 5, 2018

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

silence_kit posted:

As long as private third party payers in the US want to treat the exercise like a wild west B2B swindle where the patient occasionally gets saddled with the full cost nothing is going to happen.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

silence_kit posted:

I've heard of these health incentive programs working mostly as a carrot (i.e. let them track you and you get a premium discount), but I can easily see them changing it to a stick (where your advertised rate goes way up "should you choose not to participate in the health incentive program") and your reward for doing your steps and keeping a food diary goes straight to Jeff Bezos who then graciously lets you pick out $25 worth of junk from his online store.

Since we live in hellworld I'd put money on this being more like the latter.

And even if it's the former, gently caress that. There needs to be more pushback on these invasive corporate surveillance programs anyway.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 5, 2018

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
We have a system in place where we'll pay for your gym membership (among various other lifestyle things.) It's kind of annoying to use since you need to have proof that you paid for something, so you either need to fax in a paid bill or your bank statement. The latter of which people are understandably worried about. Then we'll pay you half and then your employer gets the other half. Why don't we pay the member the whole amount? Because it's used as a competitive tool when we compete with other insurers to reduce an employer's expenditure on healthcare costs.

The root reason for this is that employers have become increasingly pissed off about the continual 8-9% annual increases in their healthcare spending. So they're grasping at anything that will give them some way to lower the cost of offering their employees insurance. This goes for self-insured firms as well, not even for firms where we're the payer. The big working group (Healthcare Transformation Alliance) that was recently formed from a coalition of huge employers to fight PBMs wants legislative action against PBMs. If they don't get that, they want to have full control over the formulary used for employee pharmaceutical benefits. Caterpillar already does this -- they denied their employees access to brand-name statins to save money. So we're looking at going from employers making you submit your exercise logs to deciding what drugs they'll even pay for. And people will blame insurance companies because the whole loving system is so opaque.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I've heard of these health incentive programs working mostly as a carrot (i.e. let them track you and you get a premium discount), but I can easily see them changing it to a stick (where your advertised rate goes way up "should you choose not to participate in the health incentive program") and your reward for doing your steps and keeping a food diary goes straight to Jeff Bezos who then graciously lets you pick out $25 worth of junk from his online store.

Since we live in hellworld I'd put money on this being more like the latter.

And even if it's the former, gently caress that. There needs to be more pushback on these invasive corporate surveillance programs anyway.

lol I was right, it was structured to be punitive. Hellworld baby awoooo

quote:

Under the new initiative, which launched Jan. 1, PEIA insurees earn points by completing health assessments, meeting a variety of health goals and participating in various healthy lifestyle and fitness programs.

Those who meet certain point thresholds will receive “bonus bucks” that can be exchanged for gift cards or fitness equipment. However, beginning July 1, 2019, insurees who haven’t earned enough points will have their premiums increased by $25 a month and will have a $500 increase in their deductibles.

“You have a lot of state employees who are really hot and bothered,” Gearheart told PEIA executive director Ted Cheatham. “They consider it an invasion of privacy.”

“There’s a lot of people out there who are not healthy people, and they aren’t going to the doctor,” Cheatham responded, explaining the rationale for the wellness program.

“We’re saying, if you don’t want to play, you don’t have to, it’s just going to cost you more money,” he added.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

silence_kit posted:

I like how the reaction to an obviously incredibly lovely plan is that "it must be overblown because no way it can be that bad."

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Do Workplace Wellness Programs Work? Usually Not

quote:

The Kaiser survey found that 71 percent of all firms think such programs are “very” or “somewhat” effective, compared with only 47 percent for greater employee cost sharing or 33 percent for tighter networks. (Recent research on public employee plans in Massachusetts found that tighter networks were associated with large savings.)

What research exists on wellness programs does not support this optimism. This is, in part, because most studies of wellness programs are of poor quality, using weak methods that suggest that wellness programs are associated with lower savings, but don’t prove causation. Or they consider only short-term effects that aren’t likely to be sustained. Many such studies are written by the wellness industry itself. More rigorous studies tend to find that wellness programs don’t save money and, with few exceptions, do not appreciably improve health. This is often because additional health screenings built into the programs encourage overuse of unnecessary care, pushing spending higher without improving health.

However, this doesn’t mean that employers aren’t right, in a way. Wellness programs can achieve cost savings — for employers — by shifting higher costs of care onto workers. In particular, workers who don’t meet the demands and goals of wellness programs (whether by not participating at all, or by failing to meet benchmarks like a reduction in body mass index) end up paying more. Financial incentives to get healthier sometimes simply become financial penalties on workers who resist participation or who aren’t as fit. Some believe this can be a form of discrimination.

The Affordable Care Act encourages this approach. It raises the legal limit on penalties that employers can charge for health-contingent wellness programs to 30 percent of total premium costs. Employers can also charge tobacco users up to 50 percent more in premiums. Needless to say, this strikes some people as unfair and has led to objections by workers at some organizations, as well as lawsuits.

What could go wrong "encouraging wellness," especially under a Republican Congress?

quote:

While many individuals may have privacy and discrimination concerns about their employers collecting biometric and health information, those with a stigmatized health conditions may have even stronger concerns. Even in the face of financial penalties, including higher health insurance premiums, most people offered the opportunity to participate in workplace wellness health screening programs decline to do so. Current federal law (the ADA and GINA) limit inducements employers can use to encourage workers and their family members to disclose information to wellness programs.

Legislation pending in Congress, HR 1313, would alter the legal landscape. Under this bill, workplace wellness programs would be deemed in compliance with the ADA and GINA if they comply with the ACA – which limits incentives only for health-contingent wellness programs, and which does not address other practices governed by the ADA and GINA. Nearly 90% of workplace wellness programs that ask for personal health information are not health contingent programs. As a result, under most programs, there would be no limit on penalties that could be applied to workers, spouses, and dependent children who decline to provide sensitive personal health and genetic information, and other rules on information collection practices would no longer apply. In addition, HR 1313 specifies that the “insurance safe harbor” provision of ADA applies to workplace wellness programs, notwithstanding any other provision of law. When ADA was enacted in 1990, the safe harbor had allowed insurers and employer health plan sponsors to use information, including actuarial data, about risks posed by certain health conditions to make decisions about insurability and about the cost of insurance. This meant certain practices – such as excluding pre-existing conditions or charging people more based on health status – were not considered to violate the ADA ban on discrimination. After the Affordable Care Act prohibited such practices, EEOC rules clarified that the insurance safe harbor does not apply to workplace wellness programs, even if they are offered as part of a group health plan. HR 1313 would reverse that decision.

Even under Obama, "wellness" programs faced legal challenges on the basis of discrimination (olds, in this instance--a group I forgot to include in my prior group of adversely impacted minorities, those in lower socioeconomic groups, and people with disabilities):

quote:

While the courts have yet to fully weigh in, the commission has had mixed success in limiting the ability of employers to strong-arm their workers. It also faced pressure from the White House and others to avoid derailing employers’ efforts, which were seen as central to containing health care costs.

But the new rules represent an interpretation the AARP finds problematic since they represent the final word on what the agency finds permissible. They “enable employers to pressure employees to divulge their own confidential health information and the confidential genetic information of their spouses as part of an employee ‘wellness’ program.”

“On average, these penalties would double or even triple those employees’ individual health insurance costs,” the AARP contends in its lawsuit.

But at least there are privacy safeguards, right? Wrong.

quote:

In a California Law Review paper, my coauthors and I found that there are insufficient protections for employee health data, leaving workers vulnerable to privacy invasion and employment discrimination. Most notable, wellness program vendors are able to amass a trove of health information through questionnaires and medical exams. Laws such as the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act prohibit employers from collecting health data information from employees, but certain rules exempt health data collection by wellness programs.

Often employees are not informed before joining a wellness program that vendors may sell the health information they collect. This does not appear to be well-known among employers, either. Some vendors are for-profit entities and are not connected to a health insurance carrier, which means that much of the information their programs collect exists in a legal gray area, since that information is not protected by laws such as the Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). Generally, HIPAA requires the consent and notice of the patient before private health information acquired at a doctor’s office, clinic, hospital, or other health care provider is transferred to third parties. But for stand-alone wellness program vendors who are not considered health care providers, the information they collect is not covered by HIPAA, and they may sell health data to third parties without informing employees. This puts employees at risk of having their data used unlawfully and could create legal liabilities for employers.

Even if a wellness program vendor does not sell the information it collects, employees’ data may still be compromised due to data breaches. In my earlier research I discovered that large databases containing health information are an attractive target for hackers. Workplace wellness programs can therefore put employees at risk if the data is not strongly secured; a hack could result in medical identity theft or personal health information being sold to data brokers. This may also create liability for employers if they do not provide adequate oversight in keeping employees’ data secure.

But employers love these programs, and they wouldn't lie!

quote:

In 2009, Safeway CEO Steven A. Burd launched a public relations and political campaign claiming that his company had seen a stunning drop in health care costs after implementing a wellness program. In an opinion piece for the Wall Street Journal, Burd said that Safeway had begun testing employees’ tobacco usage, weight, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels in 2005 and tying financial incentives to their results. Burd called this program “completely voluntary” in the same paragraph that he explained individuals who didn’t pass these tests had to pay $780 more in annual premiums, or $1,560 more for family plans. This kind of doublespeak is par for the course in the world of corporate wellness, where avoiding a financial penalty is often framed as getting a discount.

Simply by instituting wellness programs, Burd wrote, “we have kept our per capita health-care costs flat (that includes both the employee and the employer portion), while most American companies’ costs have increased 38% over the same four years.”

As it turns out, almost none of Burd’s story was true. As the Washington Post’s David Hilzenrath discovered, Safeway implemented its wellness program in 2009, not 2005, and only about 14 percent of its workforce was even eligible to participate in it. Safeway did manage to keep its health care costs down—by raising deductibles in 2006, shifting more of the cost of health care onto employees.

There is absolutely nothing good about these programs, and the only reason they exist today is because employers, insurance companies and members of Congress want them.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We have the wellness program and there’s some sort of penalty for not doing the yearly survey, I can’t remember exactly what though. You can get gift cards and junk but then you’re supposed to pay taxes on them at the end of the year, go gently caress yourselves.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

silence_kit posted:

gently caress you.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

adhuin posted:

In Finland that same Epipen costs 55€ which is gets 40% co-pay from Kela, which drops its cost 33€ to a person.
That still feels dam too expensive.

Well just thank senator joe manchin and his terrible family for the price gouging

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
On the one hand, I have a co-worker who found out she was a Type 2 diabetic through my company plans yearly weigh in and blood draw (optional, of course...unless you don't want the $300 HSA reward for scoring a 71 or above or increasing your health score by 5 points). They found her blood sugar level to be at 800...literally telling her to "go to the ER, NOW!" She thought her weight loss, tiredness, and thirst were due to her recently quitting smoking and going to the gym a lot. And I got help on my cholesterol from my doc after going to one.

But at the same time: it's invasive as hell, totally random (I somehow gained 8 points one year based on my waist to hip ratio despite weighing the same, then lost them the next year), and their "reasonable exception" to get the extra $300 if you don't score above a 71 or gain 5 points in their stupid scale is a colossal waste of time.

So people are getting to the point where they skip it if they don't think they'll get the money. Which, unless they have some other plan in place or a decent PCP, just means worse outcomes.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

blackmet posted:

On the one hand, I have a co-worker who found out she was a Type 2 diabetic through my company plans yearly weigh in and blood draw (optional, of course...unless you don't want the $300 HSA reward for scoring a 71 or above or increasing your health score by 5 points). They found her blood sugar level to be at 800...literally telling her to "go to the ER, NOW!" She thought her weight loss, tiredness, and thirst were due to her recently quitting smoking and going to the gym a lot. And I got help on my cholesterol from my doc after going to one.

But at the same time: it's invasive as hell, totally random (I somehow gained 8 points one year based on my waist to hip ratio despite weighing the same, then lost them the next year), and their "reasonable exception" to get the extra $300 if you don't score above a 71 or gain 5 points in their stupid scale is a colossal waste of time.

So people are getting to the point where they skip it if they don't think they'll get the money. Which, unless they have some other plan in place or a decent PCP, just means worse outcomes.

I strongly suspect that program outcomes would be much much better in general if the incentive was offered to just go in to a doctor for a yearly checkup + health advice, with health fairs offered at the workplace as a checkup option. Don't tie incentives to any ridiculous "activity" measure (or at least make only a minority of the incentives tied to "performance"), and don't tie them to employment at all. Make it a national/ state program.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

blackmet posted:

This sounds almost like they do the weigh-ins and blood test results publicly for everyone to see and hear. That can't possibly be true, right? Or did your co-worker tell you about this after the fact?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

blackmet posted:

We've caught people with blood pressures above 180/120 mmHg (aka the seek medical help immediately danger zone) too so it's fairly useful for that.

You noticed the problem though in that the incentives tend to be a reward for people who are already moderately healthy rather than acting as an actual incentive for people to improve their health. People really don't understand the system or receive much guidance on improving their scores.

We do pay an incentive for people to get their annual checkup, but it's pretty low. Certainly not an amount of money that would be worth taking a day off of work or help you overcome your fear of going to the doctor.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Here's where I have a problem with the 'healthcare incentives' packages that are in workplaces:

I have high cholesterol.

I eat practically a vegan diet, don't smoke nor drink, eliminated nearly all sugar form my diet, I exercise all the time, and I count my steps with a FitBit. However, that number isn't really budging. I'm under a doctor's supervision for it, so I'm not worried.

My doctor so far isn't that concerned, because he can read charts, calculate the ratios between my good and bad cholesterols, and decide that "Well, Qu, you're fine; keep it up." So far, we think it's genetically based. I could eat 100% lettuce, and still have high cholesterol.

However, some healthcare wellness robot will go "BLEEP BLOOP HIGH NUMBER PUNISH NO GIFTCARD FOR YOU!" or raise my rates, despite me doing everything I can, because my parents were goddamn fat-making mutants.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Qu Appelle posted:

Here's where I have a problem with the 'healthcare incentives' packages that are in workplaces:

I have high cholesterol.

I eat practically a vegan diet, don't smoke nor drink, eliminated nearly all sugar form my diet, I exercise all the time, and I count my steps with a FitBit. However, that number isn't really budging. I'm under a doctor's supervision for it, so I'm not worried.

My doctor so far isn't that concerned, because he can read charts, calculate the ratios between my good and bad cholesterols, and decide that "Well, Qu, you're fine; keep it up." So far, we think it's genetically based. I could eat 100% lettuce, and still have high cholesterol.

However, some healthcare wellness robot will go "BLEEP BLOOP HIGH NUMBER PUNISH NO GIFTCARD FOR YOU!" or raise my rates, despite me doing everything I can, because my parents were goddamn fat-making mutants.

Well yes, you're more expensive than someone who probably won't need to take statins due to genetics at some point.

This sounds like an end run around the "can't charge people more for preexisting conditions" part of obamacare.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The jury is still out on whether or not high cholesterol causes heart disease

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This sounds almost like they do the weigh-ins and blood test results publicly for everyone to see and hear. That can't possibly be true, right? Or did your co-worker tell you about this after the fact?

She told us about it in our training class, just as kind of a PSA to our new hires.

It is kind of a cattle call, though. You pick your time that's convenient for a fasting blood draw (since I like breakfast and get into work at 7AM, I schedule for before 8AM), show up, get your blood prick, pressure checked, weigh in, measurements, etc.

The nurses try not to say anything about it out loud, but the privacy isn't great either, especially since they do it in a former training lab meant to hold 25 people. Why it's there and not, say, the 400+ person person capacity cafeteria seating area that gets shut down all the time for other events, I don't know.

A few days later, you get an email telling you to log on to a website where you get your results. If it's good, $300 dumped into HSA. If not, you can either do the "reasonable exception" (HAHAHA), or forfeit.

Everyone gets $500 minimum in the HSA no matter what, and then you can get up to $250 reimbursement for healthy activities (gym membership, weight watchers, marathon entry fees), and most years they just drop $300 in there in January as a "thanks for the profitable year, guys" reward to everyone. I'm sure that nets them a tax break somewhere, but it's still ok.

The deductible is $1350 for a single person, so someone who games it right and only has themselves to worry about can get enough dumped on their card to have a zero deductible. But the games are kind of irritating.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

hobbesmaster posted:

Well yes, you're more expensive than someone who probably won't need to take statins due to genetics at some point.

This sounds like an end run around the "can't charge people more for preexisting conditions" part of obamacare.

Pretty much. Hell, I'm expensive *anyways* because of asthma. My Advair? Around $400.

The funny thing is that my daily activities would probably net me awards in any workplace healthcare program that they lay out - but if they judge solely on numbers, I'd be screwed.

I do wonder if they'd have some sort of override system, like a note from an actual doctor.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 7, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Peven Stan posted:

The jury is still out on whether or not high cholesterol causes heart disease

Yeah. Every woman in my family has had horrifying cholesterol based on the standard ranges and they all live into their 100s anyway.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I'm reading up on corporate "wellness" programs out of curiosity and stumbled on this delightful little nugget:

quote:

Employees can qualify for a drawing if they complete a personal health assessment, biometric screening, a behavior change campaign, or a challenge. All employees do not get an incentive for completing the target behavior because that leads to entitlement.

lol gently caress off.

E: more

quote:

It is important to understand that the financial impact on the employee is the same for all types of incentives: employees simply make more money if they meet the requirements of the employer’s program, regardless of whether it is as a result of receiving a reward, such as a reduction in insurance premiums, or avoiding a penalty. However, it can make a big difference how the incentive is designed in terms of participation: companies report only a 20% to 40% increase in employee participation if the incentive is designed as a reward, compared with a 70% increase if the incentive is a penalty or surcharge.(7)

Great, can't wait to see an explosion of punitive health incentive programs from employers!

E: haha loving hell

quote:

A telling example of how wellness programs can invade employee privacy was the abortive attempt by the Pennsylvania State University to establish a wellness program in July of 2013. The program required employees get a check-up from their doctor, submit to several biometric tests and complete an online questionnaire that asked, among other things, “their plans to become pregnant, about how frequently they drank too much alcohol, and about whether they had experienced problems with violence, depression, or a divorce or separation.”(20) Failure to answer any question or fulfill the other requirements of the program would cost the employee $1,200 per year.

Penn State faculty protested about the invasion of their privacy and the university abolished the penalty two months later.(21)

Disruption of the Patient-Physician Relationship
Many corporate wellness programs require that employees create compliance plans with their physicians and that the physicians report noncompliance to the employer. But as one study points out, “using physicians to monitor patients' compliance raises troubling issues. It intrudes on the doctor-patient relationship and creates conflicts of interest for doctors, both of which may undermine patients' trust in their physicians.

Obligating doctors to report patients' health behaviors to their employers' wellness plan administrators can conflict with doctors' ethical and professional obligation to protect patients' health… Moreover, when patients (rightly) perceive their doctors as agents of their employers, they may be less inclined to disclose important health information to their physicians.”(23)

Also to whoever above said that employee wellness programs are a clever way to revert to underwriting, you get a gold star!

quote:

The ACA was supposed to prohibit health plans from refusing to insure individuals based on their health status or risk factors or charging them less than healthier enrollees. (HIPAA already had prohibited this practice in the case of group health plans such as those offered by larger employers; the ACA extended the prohibition to individual and small group plans.)

But the ACA has an exception that allows employers to charge employees 30% more for their health insurance (50% more if the program includes smoking objectives), up to the 9.5% annual income ceiling if they do not fulfill the requirements of outcome-based wellness programs. It has no incentive limit for wellness programs that merely require participation rather than achieving wellness goals.

This exception allows employers to make employees with higher health risk factors pay more for their health insurance than employees with lower risk factors, which has the potential to reintroduce medical underwriting by the back door.(25)

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 7, 2018

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

silence_kit posted:

NIXON: Jesus Christ.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Wellness incentive programs are dumpster fires that almost always ending up costing more than they save.

There's a reason we don't push for them in our fully insured lines of business.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Reik posted:

Wellness incentive programs are dumpster fires that almost always ending up costing more than they save.

There's a reason we don't push for them in our fully insured lines of business.

Generally the value prop for those types of programs rely heavily on savings due to reduction in absenteeism and presenteeism and the benefits of employee engagement. It's rarely the (more easily measurable) hard dollar impact on health insurance costs that drives those decisions from an employer standpoint.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

esquilax posted:

Generally the value prop for those types of programs rely heavily on savings due to reduction in absenteeism and presenteeism and the benefits of employee engagement. It's rarely the (more easily measurable) hard dollar impact on health insurance costs that drives those decisions from an employer standpoint.

That would make more sense. We don't really have access to absenteeism/presenteeism data on our end, so I guess they just do those studies internally or with their consulting house?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Reik posted:

That would make more sense. We don't really have access to absenteeism/presenteeism data on our end, so I guess they just do those studies internally or with their consulting house?

Generally, but only the largest employers really have large enough numbers to give the results any kind of statistical plausibility. Other employers tend to be followers.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Who wants to read some infuriating tales from inside the pre-Obamacare health insurance/medical billing industries?

quote:

This is one of the strangest circumstances, but I encountered it a lot: Sometimes when a mother and father split up, it was common for the mother to get sole custody, and the father to be required by law to get insurance for the kid as part of his child support. If he violates that, he can go to jail, be held in contempt. But we screened children just as we screened adults.

I would get calls from these fathers, but the kid would have a condition: autism, obesity, diabetes. And we’d have to tell the father, “We can’t insure your son.” He’d be like, I’m going to jail. I’d maybe send an email or something, but even judges in our legal system did not understand you couldn’t just go out and get health insurance. I’d be like, “No one is going to insure this autistic son.”

quote:

I didn’t really deal with patients by that point. It was just me in a cubicle on the phone arguing with Blue Cross. They would deny for the most ridiculous reasons. Their favorite game to play was to ignore my numerous claim submissions. Then once the filing date passed they would tell me I missed the filing deadline even though I could prove I had submitted it several times on time. They just don’t want to pay.

quote:

The focus was always to expand, and on profits. Working with insurance you get calls from people just crying: I just got my bill, I can’t pay this. And there was a process, patients would sit down with our financial services and go through their paychecks and things. But sometimes I swear people were denied simply because the executive director in the billing department didn’t like the tone of the person on the phone. And you know the executives got huge bonuses, enough to buy a car. And people are not getting the health care they need.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
aha, yes.

pre.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Kill everyone in insurance imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

sirtommygunn posted: