Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Yeah, maybe I'm not being clear. I'm not at all assuming it's unbalanced. I just can't tell. I wish it was better written because it has some cool ideas, but I just bounced off it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

food court bailiff posted:

The fiction in Fragged Empire seems bad to me, although perhaps it is I who is actually bad.

The fiction in Fragged Empire itself is pretty good. Like it's not blowing anyone's minds but it's a setting that explains why a bunch of diverse weirdoes are hanging out together on a spaceship, gives them places to go and things to do, and is thematically about learning to trust people despite a history of war and atrocity. The Protagonist Archive stuff is also solid; I love the Zhou.

Fragged Aeternum was a huge disappointment on that front, though, to the point where if you're not just using it to literally run a Bloodborne or Dark Souls game or a homebrew setting I just wouldn't bother. I picked it up for the rules knowing this was probably the case but I feel bad for anyone who expected otherwise.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 7, 2018

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DalaranJ posted:

Is this true? I always assumed that (us) storygamers were considered the snobs of RPGs.
I’m dangerously close to making a beer metaphor here.

Have you every tried to get a self identified Pathfinder player to play any other system?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Have you every tried to get a self identified Pathfinder player to play any other system?

Eww, why would I do that?

Point taken.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

in the magical future of the internet everyone gets to be a snob about their entertainment consumption

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

Is this true? I always assumed that (us) storygamers were considered the snobs of RPGs.
I’m dangerously close to making a beer metaphor here.
Let's put it this way: there are people who are upset that PF2's streamlining of mechanics is "dumbing the game down".

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Looking at the blog it's basically "5e with houserules"

Because it's Paizo and of loving course it is.

Excellent. At last a D&D 5E without the toxicity of Zak Smith.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I just wanna see how aggressive their release schedule is, because 5e's schedule is super slow.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
is there any cited reason for it being so slow? i never actually followed it because the core system wasn't interesting to me but I recall hearing that they took a phenomenally long time to release even a single book after the initial 3.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

S.J. posted:

I just wanna see how aggressive their release schedule is, because 5e's schedule is super slow.

It’s Pathfinder so expect at least two books a month, a big rulebook every few months, and as many support materials as your budget can take.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Countblanc posted:

is there any cited reason for it being so slow? i never actually followed it because the core system wasn't interesting to me but I recall hearing that they took a phenomenally long time to release even a single book after the initial 3.

their staff is like 3 people in a broom closet that the mtg staff forgot about

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Arivia posted:

It’s Pathfinder so expect at least two books a month, a big rulebook every few months, and as many support materials as your budget can take.

People don’t just use mega upload for all their gaming needs?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Arivia posted:

Well it's usually something like, one campaign supplement, one adventure, a map, and either a new big rulebook or a mini version of an existing one, plus maybe some pawns or cards, plus Bones/Wizkids minis... yeah :v:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

System Mastery once compared WotC to a rounding error in Hasbro's ledgers and that's still pretty accurate.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Countblanc posted:

Too many supplements will spoil the broth.

In all seriousness, Hasbro probably can't be bothered to care and the people who are left are deathly afraid of killing the game by releasing too many splatbooks. It's probably more profitable to maintain a skeleton crew and ride the coattails of name recognition than it is to promote the brand through regularly released supplements (which some accountant probably figured out that it's more likely to cost them money to produce as opposed to the profit they maintain by doing nothing).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Countblanc posted:

Even before the "initial 3". It took a hell of a long time for the DMG to finally be released - Hoard of the Dragon Queen actually came out a month or two beforehand IIRC.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Serf posted:

their staff is like 3 people in a broom closet that the mtg staff forgot about

Which did they forget about, the closet or the people?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Countblanc posted:

The stated reason was that they intend 5e to be evergreen, so there’s no need to keep adding things. But their core product is living Forgotten Realms so they have to keep adding things.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

LongDarkNight posted:

The closet probably costs them more money in energy costs than the salary of D&D employees.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Serf posted:

their staff is like 3 people in a broom closet that the mtg staff forgot about store their brooms in.

Serf
May 5, 2011

LongDarkNight posted:

its like that part in the new wolfenstein game where a hundred nazis have been hiding on a submarine for months behind a door covered up by a bookcase only except for a bunch of emaciated nazis its mike mearls

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hostile V posted:

System Mastery once compared WotC to a rounding error in Hasbro's ledgers and that's still pretty accurate.
D&D maybe, but WotC includes Magic:the Gathering, which was doing $200 million in annual sales at the start of the decade. Only Apple (which sells $250 billion worth of stuff annually) would consider that pocket change/rounding error.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Turns out getting entire generations hooked on loot boxes as kids is a profitable business model.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

LuiCypher posted:

Too many supplements will spoil the broth.

In all seriousness, Hasbro probably can't be bothered to care and the people who are left are deathly afraid of killing the game by releasing too many splatbooks. It's probably more profitable to maintain a skeleton crew and ride the coattails of name recognition than it is to promote the brand through regularly released supplements (which some accountant probably figured out that it's more likely to cost them money to produce as opposed to the profit they maintain by doing nothing).

Don't forget that the DM's Guild is doing a lot of the heavy lifting as far as supplements and creative content is concerned.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well, that was the whole intent.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

The official reason is that they didn't want to duplicate the supplement bloat of 3rd and 4th Editions, since that's bad and WOTC can do better.

The real reason is because the team is small and has low output.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

food court bailiff posted:

Even before the "initial 3". It took a hell of a long time for the DMG to finally be released - Hoard of the Dragon Queen actually came out a month or two beforehand IIRC.

Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat came out before the DMG. There was some delay with the DMG though. It might've been the time someone dev team had jury duty?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nuns with Guns posted:

Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat came out before the DMG. There was some delay with the DMG though. It might've been the time someone dev team had jury duty?

HOTDQ at least was written before the rules were finalized, which made them coincide well with the release, but left things like encounter balance and monster stats a little janky.

It should also be mentioned that HOTDQ was outsourced to, I believe it was Kobold Press, so it wasn't even the WOTC team that did the writing. And a lot of the new mechanics in later splatbooks are just rehashes of Unearthed Arcana articles, and Tales from the Dawning Portal is a rehash of old dungeons already written before and converted.

There's just this patina of low-energy over the entire edition.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's just this patina of low-energy over the entire edition.

I mean, the strategy is debatably working. WOTC is clearly putting minimal effort and resources into D&D and it's selling like hotcakes apparently (thanks to clever digital marketing more than anything), so I don't see Wizards changing that formula at all.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

potatocubed posted:

Don't forget that the DM's Guild is doing a lot of the heavy lifting as far as supplements and creative content is concerned.

That's what it's supposed to do, but the quality is really bad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Arivia posted:

That's what it's supposed to do, but the quality is really bad.

Given their main competition, does that really matter?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

Given their main competition, does that really matter?

yes? Regardless of what you think of the system, Paizo at least has editors and a layout team.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

I mean, the strategy is debatably working. WOTC is clearly putting minimal effort and resources into D&D and it's selling like hotcakes apparently (thanks to clever digital marketing more than anything), so I don't see Wizards changing that formula at all.

i mean they really just got lucky as they put out a new edition at the same time as digital content producers were looking to branch out from video games imo

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Drone posted:

If you consider the target audience, their strategy seems to be perfect. That doesn’t stop me hating them for it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

As a really random aside, HotDQ/RoT are godawful garbage fires of plots that barely link up at all, but I thought the first two chapters of HotDQ were actually surprisingly good. The game opens with a city under attack, and gives a ton of little encounters that the PCs can do to help the defense effort. It's nothing super groundbreaking, but it is way more freeform than a standard intro dungeon crawl and nobody is sitting around in a tavern looking mysterious until the party shows up. Plus, the layout made it pretty easy to DM.

The next chapter is another cool one, the party basically has to rescue a guy the cult captured in the raid, so they just kind of tag along back to the cultist's camp pretending to be coming back from the raid with everyone else. This one I just liked because (again, unlike pretty much everything else across both books), it flows so well from the first chapter, plus it's the kind of scenario that either rewards some careful planning and quick thinking, or can turn into a kind of smash-and-grab-and-run clusterfuck if the party decides to go loud.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Elfgames posted:

i mean they really just got lucky as they put out a new edition at the same time as digital content producers were looking to branch out from video games imo

Yeah, don't give WotC too much credit. They deserve some because someone handed them a good thing and they didn't screw it up, but they definitely were in the right place at the right time through minimal fault of their own as far as I can tell.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Everybody who had a PC capable of running games in the 90s loves Planescape: Torment, so I'm running a game set in Sigil. I'm reading the 2nd edition Planescape manual to bone up, and this is basically the tone of everything:

Whoever wrote this was extremely opposed to the idea of player characters defeating any powerful entity or claiming any treasure or doing anything at all.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

quote:

whoever wrote this was extremely opposed to the idea of player characters defeating any powerful entity or claiming any treasure or doing anything at all.

90sgamedesign.txt

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We needed the Seinfeld RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Inescapable Duck posted:

We needed the Seinfeld RPG.