Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Knight posted:

fuckin' lmao I just had this pop into my feed, I want to find all of these articles and drink in the conservative tears.

It's too bad these articles are all bullshit based on fake social media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/timothys/status/971412121492774912?s=21

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

"It only happens on Twitter and Twitter doesn't matter"

Neither of which I agree with

Too bad it's not a matter of opinion. Twitter is thankfully dying outside of America and a few other countries.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

NaanViolence posted:

Too bad it's not a matter of opinion. Twitter is thankfully dying outside of America and a few other countries.

Lol.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I wanted to disagree with this article from the headline but he's got a point: the media narrative is focusing on "did Russians support candidates, and if so, those candidates are all bad" rather than the much more important and consequential "were those candidates complicit in soliciting and working with that Russian support", which is the real issue. Problem is, until Trump is convicted and led away in handcuffs and a prison onesie, that's a much harder story to write. So the media generally seems to be defaulting to the easier, dumber story about how anyone who isn't Hillary is somehow a Russian pawn.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It seems inevitable now that similar claims are going to be made no matter who's running in 2020. Prepare to be called a hypocrite when you point out there's no evidence of Kremlin support for Bernie Sanders.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I wanted to disagree with this article from the headline but he's got a point: the media narrative is focusing on "did Russians support candidates, and if so, those candidates are all bad" rather than the much more important and consequential "were those candidates complicit in soliciting and working with that Russian support", which is the real issue. Problem is, until Trump is convicted and led away in handcuffs and a prison onesie, that's a much harder story to write. So the media generally seems to be defaulting to the easier, dumber story about how anyone who isn't Hillary is somehow a Russian pawn.

And my point is, no one in the real world is thinking about this or even talking about it, that's why I called it extremely online. The people orchestrating the shift in politics are not sitting around twiddling their thumbs about how oh, resisting Trump or being an alternative to the status quo is just playing into Russian hands.
The DNC and pundits are definitely on this lazy conclusion, I have no doubt about it, but Taibbi's premise that he's working from is that everyone is calling anything that defies the establishment a Russian plot and literally the only people I've seen that from is, in order of frequency, Twitter, television pundits and Hillary favoring DNC members.

I see this as a bit of an inflection point, if you want to change how the world works, you have to have a narrative the world can buy into, and the piece doesn't offer that, just more cynicism.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NaanViolence posted:

A) but we're talking about America
B) the idea that online dialog doesn't matter because it's online is fuckin stupid

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RuanGacho posted:

literally the only people I've seen that from is, in order of frequency, Twitter, television pundits and Hillary favoring DNC members.

the problem is that "television pundits and Hillary favoring DNC members" is neither a short nor a non-influential list

RuanGacho posted:

I see this as a bit of an inflection point, if you want to change how the world works, you have to have a narrative the world can buy into, and the piece doesn't offer that, just more cynicism.

The counter narrative is "look, the problem is the collusion," but that's not proven yet. We're all waiting on Muelldot.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

online dialog doesn't matter because it's online is fuckin stupid
The internet doesn't matter.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

RuanGacho posted:

And my point is, no one in the real world is thinking about this or even talking about it, that's why I called it extremely online. The people orchestrating the shift in politics are not sitting around twiddling their thumbs about how oh, resisting Trump or being an alternative to the status quo is just playing into Russian hands.
The DNC and pundits are definitely on this lazy conclusion, I have no doubt about it, but Taibbi's premise that he's working from is that everyone is calling anything that defies the establishment a Russian plot and literally the only people I've seen that from is, in order of frequency, Twitter, television pundits and Hillary favoring DNC members.

I forgot that joy Reid’s show was online only.

whatever you think is terminally online is eventually going to make its way into the real world by virtue of the broke brains not being able to shut up about whatever it is even when they’re not tweeting

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The "Russian meddling" is extremely online

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

I think Taibbi’s premise is that this toxic narrative is being presented to hundreds of thousands if not millions of people through large media outlets, and that’s a bad thing.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I really don't understand how someone can simultaneously hold the views that Russian meddling through social media is a big deal, but that the witch hunt against everyone who isn't Hillary doesn't matter because it's happening via social media.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anything to avoid talking about issues that matter, I guess.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

joepinetree posted:

I really don't understand how someone can simultaneously hold the views that Russian meddling through social media is a big deal, but that the witch hunt against everyone who isn't Hillary doesn't matter because it's happening via social media.

Conceptually, I think this is consistent if you think that the Twitter bots/etc. had an effect on the election but don't think the anti-leftist stuff will affect anything (that you care about). In that case it's not the self-consistency that's the problem, it's the fact that the person is anti-leftist that's the problem, I guess.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

joepinetree posted:

They both seem like valid issues to me, but generally folks seem to be eliding the distinction between Russian "meddling through social media" and Russian direct hacking of the DNC. There's a tendency to dismiss Russian interference with the election as "just faffing around on facebook" while pretending that the more serious criminal actions just didn't happen or were (by implication) inconsequential in the same way that the faffing around on facebook (allegedly) was.

IDGI.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Israel has had a plain-as-day lobbying agency for as long as I can remember. Corporations have the US government and its 'representatives' as a line item in their budget sheets. The 1% have turned our court system into a god drat horror show.

Trump should certainly be strung up by the short and curlies for collusion. The problem is singling out Russia and painting more cold war paranoia as the one weird trick to fixing democracy that they don't want you to know about is a pretty clear case of screaming about some trees and ignoring a forest.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Foreign entities are attempting to interfere with our election processes, this should be aggressively counter measured against.

Probably the worst thing Trump has done for the media is normalized being an idiot online without consequence. I say for because they've been pretty complicit in it.

I will concede that my original characterization of the article was minimizing at best, and garbage at worst.

Something still doesn't feel right about it to me but I can't articulate it, could be just being stubborn.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

I’m pretty sure she means masculine-identifying drag queen rather than trans woman, which makes sense, given her recent appearance on Drag Race.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/_Saeen_/status/971277315945717760

Wow, bulletproof counterpoint there Chuck

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

I hope that a rabbi scholar whacks him on the head for saying that. The Torah was written as a series of allegories to spread the teachings of Judaism to the Jewish Diaspora after it became so spread out that continuing to spread the teachings only via oral tradition was no longer feasible. It was never written to be taken literally on any level and it was never written to be a history document.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That's impressively racist.

Crazy that guy didn't really give a poo poo about the Dreamers.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Frankly I expect this kind of supremacism from Schumer; not to downplay the grotesquery at all, but it's perfectly in line with a track record that seems to have rapidly worsened in severity in such a way that suggests he's taking advantage of the Trump administration to push for the odiousness very mildly kept in check by Obama.

What's more repulsive is that anyone outside of the party elite would equivocate on something so terrible at its face.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I posted this previously in the wrong thread:

I'm not trying to defend Menendez or Schumer for kowtowing to AIPAC, but I don't know if you can get elected in either NJ or NY without being a bit of a Zionist.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The internet doesn't matter.

He says in a world where the president's insane tweets are a common topic of discussion

The internet matters now, sorry

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Here's an article about the aftermath of the WV strike and how labor organizers are setting their sights on November.

There's more context on Ojeda, he sounds better here than the other article portrayed him.

quote:

No one exemplifies that surge more than state Sen. Richard Ojeda. A staunch progressive, Ojeda is a retired Army major from Logan County, in the heart of West Virginia “coal country.” He supports decriminalizing and taxing marijuana to fund public works, has called for sustainable energy, and supports a path to citizenship for “Dreamers.” Ojeda talks fast, sports a military-style crew cut, and is a powerhouse orator.

Last Tuesday night, he took to the capitol steps with a megaphone in hand. Just then, a barge pushing coal down the nearby Kanawha River blasted its horn in support of the mass of striking teachers. The crowd erupted; Ojeda pumped his first toward the setting sun.

“You deserve better, and you matter to the people that are standing right here,” Ojeda shouted while flanked by Democratic lawmakers. “The eyes of the nation are upon us, and what they’re seeing is how the leadership of this state treats its working-class citizens. It’s unacceptable.”

“I’m going to tell you,” Ojeda told the cheering throngs, “if you remember in November, we will have a blue wave in West Virginia that will make Virginia look like a ripple in the frickin’ water!”

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

He says in a world where the president's insane tweets are a common topic of discussion

The internet matters now, sorry
Just because tweets make you sad doesn't mean they matter.

Trump tweets real hard and then does the same poo poo every lovely Republican does. Despite what are obviously apocalypticly important tweets the number of Koreas invaded remains steady at zero.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Rent-A-Cop posted:

the number of Koreas invaded remains steady at zero.

Please

a take this hot could melt the SA servers and then where would we all shitpost

lol, just lol at a non-ironic use of

in tyool 2018

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 7, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Trump tweets real hard and then does the same poo poo every lovely Republican does. Despite what are obviously apocalypticly important tweets the number of Koreas invaded remains steady at zero.

"Bush bloviates real hard and then does the same poo poo every lovely Republican does. Despite what are obviously apocalypticly important statements the number of Iraqs invaded remains steady at zero." - you, 2002.

(this isn't actually a fair comparison but I think you're underestimating Trump's capability to blunder into a war)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Please

a take this hot could melt the SA servers and then where would we all shitpost
I would have to go back to screaming at children on Xbox live.

Lightning Knight posted:

(this isn't actually a fair comparison but I think you're underestimating Trump's capability to blunder into a war)
Is blundering into a war better or worse than starting one intentionally? Because so far, no new wars. *fingers crossed*

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I would have to go back to screaming at children on Xbox live.

You can afford an Xbox!? Capitalist spotted

Seriously though, twitter bullshit is way more consequential than it should be, both because it helped our current Dear Leader get elected, and because every time he tweets something out it has far ranging consequences even if those consequences are not always immediate or direct. Hell it's harmful just to the extent that it distracts from more substantive stories.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Is blundering into a war better or worse than starting one intentionally? Because so far, no new wars. *fingers crossed*

I mean, Bush started his dumb war in Iraq as much over his daddy complex and weird religious bullshit as he did for mundane poo poo like oil and economic gain. Trump starting a war in Korea because he's gotta prove his dick is the biggest wouldn't be significantly far off the mark tbh.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

That is a totally benign statement that people are reading in the most bad faith way possible to try and make it say something he really clearly isn't saying.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That is a totally benign statement that people are reading in the most bad faith way possible to try and make it say something he really clearly isn't saying.

Tacit endorsements of ethnic cleansing "because (I think) the Bible says so" is not "a totally benign statement," hth.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lightning Knight posted:

Tacit endorsements of ethnic cleansing "because (I think) the Bible says so" is not "a totally benign statement," hth.

That sure is a weird and extreme bad faith reading

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That sure is a weird and extreme bad faith reading

His literal statement is "we think we deserve to run this place because the Bible says so, and the Muslims don't believe in the Bible and won't let us have it without a fight, so that's why there's not peace." Which even with the best faith reading is still a monumentally stupid reading of the history of the I/P conflict.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

he's excusing Israel’s genocide of the Palestinians

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lightning Knight posted:

His literal statement is "we think we deserve to run this place because the Bible says so, and the Muslims don't believe in the Bible and won't let us have it without a fight, so that's why there's not peace." Which even with the best faith reading is still a monumentally stupid reading of the history of the I/P conflict.

That isn't his literal statement, that is a thing you typed then put quotes around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That isn't his literal statement, that is a thing you typed then put quotes around.

So tell us, galaxy brain, what the good faith reading of this statement is.

• Locked thread