Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Nuebot posted:

It's a lot like Dwarf Fortress or Space Station 13. Great stories and weird poo poo comes from them. But 99% of the time you pick up the game it's going to function perfectly normally and nothing funny will happen. They're fun games but kind of unremarkable most of the time. But the stories make them sound like the most radical things ever.

For a given definition of "function perfectly normally," I guess. I've yet to have a DF or SS13 game go as expected.

Here is a gallery with a few screencaps I've grabbed over the years of what may or may not be bugs: https://imgur.com/a/ZEfRe
Pictured: animals trying to fish and failing because they don't have hands, an echidna spamming my combat log for months, an immigrant who arrived with every body part severed, and a terrible book with two blank chapters.

Cichlidae has a new favorite as of 02:18 on Mar 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Crusader Kings II mostly derives it's stories from the player's plans failing, random events, or dukes getting angry and revolting. When it breaks it's more stuff like your spymaster reporting that he attempted to assassinate himself for discovering his plot to assassinate himself, or the castration stack overflow error.

Dwarf Fortress is more "ghosts in the machine" stuff caused by Tarn Adams making a bunch of little independent things for a life simulator, and then those things start interacting together, creating unanticipated events. Like cats walking through a puddle of alcohol, so they clean themselves, and die of alcohol poisoning. And of course there's also plans failing or dwarves going apeshit because somebody broke their favorite +Microcline Mug+.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Crusader Kings II mostly derives it's stories from the player's plans failing, random events, or dukes getting angry and revolting. When it breaks it's more stuff like your spymaster reporting that he attempted to assassinate himself for discovering his plot to assassinate himself, or the castration stack overflow error.

Yeah, or the still not entirely fixed Monks and Mystics recruitment creep, so everyone's a Satanist or a secret Cathar

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, a lot of 'story generator' games are pretty good on their own, but only really shine if you're super into the world they build and know how to tease out all the little crazy details.

In Crusader Kings 2, it's a decent game with a lot of fun and fascinating systems, and you get to do wild nonsense like becoming immortal and fighting off the Aztec crusade across France. Where it really shines brilliantly in storytelling is when you watch someone familiar with that period of history sputter in confusion about the mystical, mysterious kingdom of ZUD randomly appearing in Russia and then trying to figure out how a mongolian emperor started conquering northern europe a hundred years in advance of the hordes, and just where the gently caress that name even comes from.

In Dwarf Fortress, the game itself is a bit oblique and hard to penetrate at first, so a casual player is going to spend so much time stumbling over their verbs or micro-managing farms that they're likely to miss that time an elven librarian chased a crundle into the caverns and died ironically from falling out of a cave tree. If you dig deep enough into the mechanics (nyuck nyuck), and the history of the bugs, eventually you're learning about that time that dwarf blood boiled at room temperature or how you can build minecart-based fort defense trap gauntlets or, say, what happens if you sap a goblin tower and drop the whole thing several z-levels (in retrospect, that event and others like it may be part of why you can't settle too close to other civs or structures now; that makes me both sad and maybe perversely a little proud).

Space Station 13 is very similar. Lots of surface-crazy stuff happens, like space bears accidentally getting loose on the station, but then once you're familiar with the systems you begin to see the threads of these big, stupid stories unfolding frequently throughout rounds. Did engineering electrify the station on purpose? Was it a traitor? No, it turns out that a feud between the detective and miscreant escalated to the point that they had a shootout in the engine room and doomed everyone because the hypernerd trying to achieve a fourth sun's worth of power out of the generator got in the line of fire. And when you're knowledgeable enough about the systems, you can have a lot more influence on generating and retelling these stories, like that time you flooded the station with alien artifacts that killed half the crew and saved the other half or the time you enabled the telenerds to destroy everything. Or maybe you just make one of the admins apoplectic because they took away every chem dispenser on the station and through sort of a rounding bug you figured out how to make bombs with nothing available to you but water and potato chips. (The potato chips were sort of a red herring, as I recall)

Shady Amish Terror has a new favorite as of 04:19 on Mar 3, 2018

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Or that in some lp for Ck2 the world was taken over by loving horses

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Or maybe you just make one of the admins apoplectic because they took away every chem dispenser on the station and through sort of a rounding bug you figured out how to make bombs with nothing available to you but water and potato chips. (The potato chips were sort of a red herring, as I recall)
As I recall the method involved a lot of splitting water between two containers until they had an extremely small amount of water, which thus when heated up got extremely hot.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Zereth posted:

As I recall the method involved a lot of splitting water between two containers until they had an extremely small amount of water, which thus when heated up got extremely hot.

Is that why the TSA takes my water bottles away?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

neogeo0823 posted:

I always get wary of games that are story goldmines because what usually happens is the dedicated players can generate really good stories, but I cannot seem to do so with any regularity. In other words, fun to read about, but not so much fun to play till something noteworthy happens. A good example I remember is an old article style LP of... I think Galactic Civilizations II. The guy had this giant story laid out over the course of the article that talked about the politics going on in the background, and how there was all this awesome stuff happening around him, but when you consider it from his angle, and not "the game as a whole", it turns out he was doing jack-all the entire game and suddenly the AI was on the cusp of winning when he pulled just slightly ahead and won in a different way.

Didja Redo did a fantastic SSLP of "Who wants to be a Gazillionaire" in a similar style.

The game itself is a trading/business stimulator, but he presented it as a story of two friends starting a business.

Highly recommend looking it up on LP Archive. Phone posting atm due to having no power from the drat nor'easter (:argh:) but I'll try to dig up a link to put here.

Fake edit: PYF Funniest Game Glitch: I think 70% of the AI demands were about castrating

Real edit: Gazillionaire Deluxe

Velocity Raptor has a new favorite as of 06:11 on Mar 3, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

stab posted:

Or that in some lp for Ck2 the world was taken over by loving horses

This was done deliberately and with minimal glitching- obtaining the first horse nobleman able to start a dynasty is an exploit (and I believe is no longer possible) but the rest is just smart strategy.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Or maybe you just make one of the admins apoplectic because they took away every chem dispenser on the station and through sort of a rounding bug you figured out how to make bombs with nothing available to you but water and potato chips. (The potato chips were sort of a red herring, as I recall)
i am still a little pissed off about that

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Velocity Raptor posted:

Didja Redo did a fantastic SSLP of "Who wants to be a Gazillionaire" in a similar style.

The game itself is a trading/business stimulator, but he presented it as a story of two friends starting a business.

Highly recommend looking it up on LP Archive. Phone posting atm due to having no power from the drat nor'easter (:argh:) but I'll try to dig up a link to put here.

Fake edit: PYF Funniest Game Glitch: I think 70% of the AI demands were about castrating

Real edit: Gazillionaire Deluxe

This game actually owns, remember playing it with my uncle.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Phlegmish posted:

This game actually owns, remember playing it with my uncle.

Oh, poo poo. When he said “Who Wants to Be a Gazillionaire,“ I thought he was talking about a different game. Yeah, Gazillionaire owned. Me and my buddy used to play that for hours on end. In fact, I went looking for it just a few years ago, but the only copy I could find wouldn’t run properly on my modern machine.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

End of Shoelace posted:

i remember a story of some goons in a post apocalyptic text mmorpg (MOO?) trolling dudes. they gathered round a campfire and each of them had a poo poo ton of blunts. they waited for someone to come over then they all passed him a joint in quick succession. it was an uncancellable action for other players, so the victim would smoke like 20 blunts one after the another while becoming increasingly angry. eventually he would go into a weed coma and he would then be looted.

also reminds me of the dungeons and dragons "peasant railgun". i dont remember the specifics but there is a clause where npcs can pass eachother an item in less than a turn, which is 6 seconds. someone calculated that if you hired a ton of peasants and arranged them in a spiral, with enough peasants the rock would be passed so fast in 6 seconds that when the last peasant in line tosses it, it launches at almost two times the speed of sound and obliterates anything

I'm not exactly sure why, but both of these had me laughing my rear end off, so thanks for that!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

End of Shoelace posted:

also reminds me of the dungeons and dragons "peasant railgun". i dont remember the specifics but there is a clause where npcs can pass eachother an item in less than a turn, which is 6 seconds. someone calculated that if you hired a ton of peasants and arranged them in a spiral, with enough peasants the rock would be passed so fast in 6 seconds that when the last peasant in line tosses it, it launches at almost two times the speed of sound and obliterates anything

Sadly the peasant railgun doesn't work for dealing damage; according to the rules of DnD the object gains no velocity passing between each peasant so the final peasant can only make whatever piss-poor attack they make by throwing a rock.

Conversely, however, you can build an infinitely powerful instantaneous sextum computer in DnD using the above trick of instantaneous minor actions + the various spells to animate skeletons to have skeleton hands act as logic gates. You'll eventually need other wizards to help you make your skeleton computer bigger, but, thankfully due to the existence of pixies and other even smaller boned creatures in DnD you can keep Moore's law working even when using foul necromancy.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Barudak posted:

Conversely, however, you can build an infinitely powerful instantaneous sextum computer in DnD using the above trick of instantaneous minor actions + the various spells to animate skeletons to have skeleton hands act as logic gates. You'll eventually need other wizards to help you make your skeleton computer bigger, but, thankfully due to the existence of pixies and other even smaller boned creatures in DnD you can keep Moore's law working even when using foul necromancy.

Wasn't there a thing where some group made a vast network of underground skelington tunnels across the lands, to function as what was essentially a telephone and parcel delivery network?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
DnD has a lot of broken stuff. For example the Locate City Nuke.

A preview posted:

Someone next to you with a clear path to the edge of the spell is going to travel 180 miles. That’s 950,400 feet, which is 95,040 d6 damage. Almost 100,000 d6 damage to those at the heart of the explosion when that frosty thunderclap goes off. Even to folks at mile 179, who are only traveling 5280 feet for 528 d6 damage, this spell is very, very dangerous.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

This would make a wicked game, 6 guys against one shapeshifter who can kill you by jumping out of walls. Edit:the only way to kill the shapeshifter is to blow the place to poo poo until there's nowhere left for him to hide.

The Hanged Man from JoJo's meets FPS would be pretty sweet.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

RatHat posted:

DnD has a lot of broken stuff. For example the Locate City Nuke.
Rules lawyering at its finest.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

You cast locate city twice. If the second one fails, you succeeded.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

the variant where you add negative energy damage and have every victim come back as a Shadow is better imo

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Don't send your troops out unarmed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Looks kinda like Cid from Final Fantasy 7.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Can his arms hear?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Brexit hit Jeremy corbyn harder than I thought

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5tyMXXDPX4

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That's not what revoking the right to bear arms means.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

That's not what revoking the right to bear arms means.

sure it is. he had bear arms before they were removed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

that's kid stuff

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

Have the forces of Earth been toe-tally de-feeted?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Digirat posted:

that's kid stuff

Really digging the one soldier who's just a floating head bristling with weapons.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Angry Diplomat posted:

Really digging the one soldier who's just a floating head bristling with weapons.

It was a Long War :smug:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Nostradingus posted:

Brexit hit Jeremy corbyn harder than I thought

:bisonyes:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

in dire circumstances, certain physical standards for military service get relaxed, like "don't have flat feet" or "have a torso"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Digirat posted:

that's kid stuff

Looks like all that high-tech gear really cost...

...a considerable amount.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If you install the correct mods you can do that poo poo on purpose. Or have skeleton body parts. Skulls with eyeballs and facial hair. Or robot limbs, prosthetics, hologram prosthetics...headcrabs...

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

I want my guy to just be a flaming skull that screams at people to kill them.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

jonsicoli posted:

I want my guy to just be a flaming skull that screams at people to kill them.

No, go Full Morte and have him bite enemies to death.

You wouldn't be able to trust it, what with the whole "Don't Trust The Skull" debuff, though.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dwarf Fortress has gone through a round of bug fixing after the latest big update, which added the ability to raid neighboring sites for artifacts and other Fun things. Here's the patch notes for that:

quote:

[03/09/2018 Toady One: Here's the first substantial update to the fortress's world map screen. New raid options are available, and it shouldn't be hard for you to antagonize your neighbors now if that's what you want to do. Use the 'd'etails option when preparing the raid to set what sorts of actions you'd like your raiders to perform. Skills and equipment matter, and skills can be improved during missions. The skill of your best tactician is important (you'll see feedback in the mission report.) If you demand tribute on an ongoing basis and the target site agrees to your demands, you'll receive something like a merchant caravan on an annual basis a few seasons after the initial demand. They'll drop goods off at your depot and depart. These goods can be carried off immediately for storage, but there's a new report so you can look at a complete list of what was delivered; the same is true of spoils from raids.

A few notes on the bug fixes below: the identity fixes won't stop bad feelings from existing conflicts in old saves. Also in old saves, distracted animals might still appear to be broken at first, but they should sort themselves out after a bit.

New stuff

Can pillage and raze and demand tribute from other sites
Dwarves on missions can now can gain skills
Military tactics skill is now gained and matters in off-site battles

Major bug fixes

Fixed several problems causing the meeting queue to get gummed up
Made monster-type critters and non-monster-type critters have proper hostile again
Allowed people in the same squad to know each other's identities
Made scribe copy job cancel properly to free up materials
Fixed calculation of available writing materials in library

Other bug fixes/tweaks

Various speed tweaks
Made clean job work inside and on outdoor constructions
Made clean jobs continue to nearby tiles
Made drunkenness make you less private instead of more private and fixed a typo there
Made dwarven adventurers experience trances properly
Made non-historical populations defend sites post w.g.
Made off-site raid stealth success depend on site
Fixed broken flags on merchant historical event
Stopped dwarves being dragged to cages/chains from trying to clean the floor
Stopped live generals from being elevated from zombie populations
Stopped animals from developing need for alcohol after experiencing trauma
Stopped unintelligent creatures associated to civilizations, like domestic animals, from worshipping gods when given historical status
Stopped animals from revealing the location of artifacts to questers
Stopped animals from forming grudges and other chat-based relationships
Sped up legends loading in high-artifact worlds
Stopped rooting around in the dirt from resetting path
Fixed issue causing certain older army units from not appearing
Fixed a few errors with abstract skill calculation for armies
Reconciled bandit's map and in-play valuations of opponent strength to stop aborted ambushes
Disallowed certain flying/swimming/visual/projectile/attack moves involving half-stairways
Made branches/twigs burning over walls leave behind a floor properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Unfortunately those soldiers' bodies grew back once I actually started a mission, ruining my hopes that several floating heads and guns could destroy the alien government

But I did still have a magical moment with the one in the front

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5JFp555i10