Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm sitting here wracking my brains trying to think which side the indicator stalk is on my car. :psyduck:

It's not like I don't drive it often or its new, I just can't picture it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was at the Home Depot today where a guy in a 1997 ish Grand Prix GTP coupe was leaking radiator fluid all over the parking lot. He was sitting in the car with it running in a parking spot and it was just raining down on the pavement. I walked over to let him know he had a problem, and he said "yeah I know, it's broken," and drove off.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I do occasionally turn off the lights when I'm driving other people's cars in the rain because my car only has one stalk with both wipers and indicators on it

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

I was at the Home Depot today where a guy in a 1997 ish Grand Prix GTP coupe was leaking radiator fluid all over the parking lot. He was sitting in the car with it running in a parking spot and it was just raining down on the pavement. I walked over to let him know he had a problem, and he said "yeah I know, it's broken," and drove off.

I had the same thing happen a few years ago with some dude sitting in his car talking to a chick. While probably not the best time to tell him his car is pissing coolant all over, I still say him telling me to gently caress off was rude.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm sitting here wracking my brains trying to think which side the indicator stalk is on my car. :psyduck:

The only reason I know is I keep trying to use the right stick for signals in the mazda to be greeted with the wipers going ham. All my vehicles have had signals on the left, so my brain may be broken.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 7, 2018

stump
Jan 19, 2006

That stupid i800 broke my brain this way. By the time got used to a right hand indicator I had to hand it back, and then for a week after I couldn’t remember which side was normal anymore.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I’ve only ever driven Japanese cars in Australia where the turn signals are right handed and smokin isn’t a massive issue cause I can still change gears easily with my left. I think it’d be a bit odd to change the other way round but early steering wheels for consoles had the gear change moulded onto the left hand side so it wasn’t that odd to use both hands for doing things. As long as the pedals are the same way around I’d probably be fine with either auto or manual.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Breakfast Feud posted:

I was thinking about this all day, and I have literally never driven a car in Canada that has had the turn signals on the right side. I can't remember a single instance in my entire driving life I've had to use the non-driving hand to flick the turn signals. It's always been a sort of think of turning -> mash three left hand fingers into stalk situation.

What cars do you drive?
Lots, but other than the Land Rover, it's only stuff originally designed for the Japanese/oriental corner of the world, in my case Kei cars, that seem to have the indicator on the right, generally everything else has it on the left.

So I would regard left as "normal", but I think a critical difference is the mentality of whether it's a "left/right of the wheel" question or an "inside/outside of the cabin" one when it comes to the choice of alignment. I think the former is the correct approach, but obviously to some, the latter is what was chosen - and then the interesting question is, am I only used to the former because of the latter approach being taken by LHD countries, who then CBA to change the mouldings for RHD markets?

Ultimately you do just get used to it, just as you can with any other change to control layout. Pedals that go Clutch/Accelerator/Brake are always good.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

My car: indicators on right.
My work van: indicators of left.

Cue me using the wipers a lot unintentionally in the van.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeah pretty much, my golf has them on the left and the mr2 has them on the right. Seeing as I drive the golf more, I tend to accidentally reach for the wipers accidentally when signalling at least once when I drive the mr2.

The RHD LHD thing never seemed to bother me too much, only thing that was a bit odd was shifting with my right hand. But I've rented so many cars on the continent now it's become second nature. I do still try and get in the right hand side of the car on occasion though :v:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Audi driver spotted.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Finger Prince posted:

Audi driver spotted.

:colbert: Its easy to find on the vintage ones.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Olympic Mathlete posted:

2003 suburban: button on the end of the indicator stalk initiates cruise control

2007 suburban: button on the end of the same indicator stalk washes the rear glass

When I drive their car the rear glass is always spotless and they need a washer fluid refill.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

I can only hope he was running on pure water by that point. Coolant is slippery as heck, and I'm certain he didn't have any Redline in there or anything.

Speaking as a motorcyclist I'd have probably punched him in the ear or something (I am Walter Mitty IRL).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

xzzy posted:

Real question: Has anyone actually studied driving function with the dominant hand being on the wheel 100% of the time? Or is it one of those "well it makes intuitive sense, so it must be fact!" things.

If I kept my dominant hand on the wheel 100% of the time, I'd have a pretty difficult time shifting, and have an even harder time getting my beer out of the cup holder.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Finger Prince posted:

Audi driver spotted.

Never owned one. Fiat and Volvo. Previously more Volvos, a BMW, a Peugeot, some Citroen's. It's not something I see or do by sight so I've no visual memory of it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BitBasher posted:

It just feels off, like it missed the intent somehow and I can't adequately describe it.

Oh, it’s definitely “off”.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

InitialDave posted:

So I would regard left as "normal", but I think a critical difference is the mentality of whether it's a "left/right of the wheel" question or an "inside/outside of the cabin" one when it comes to the choice of alignment. I think the former is the correct approach, but obviously to some, the latter is what was chosen - and then the interesting question is, am I only used to the former because of the latter approach being taken by LHD countries, who then CBA to change the mouldings for RHD markets?

IMO the idea is you shouldn't need to indicate with your gear changing hand which would make "outside" more correct.

In the modern world of mostly auto I don't think it matters much, but it really would be nice for the main controls to be consistent across all vehicles. I find it's not a too bad when you're switching cars a lot (like I did between my own Japanese cars and work vans) but it's annoying when you only occasionally need to switch. I can tell you I hit the wipers every time without fail when I borrow my dads car.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I used to drive Toyota forklifts for too many hours of the day/night. Forward/reverse is on the stalk. This led to many times getting in my car and flipping wipers/turn signal, etc wondering why I was not moving.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I kind of love the old signal stalks that were just a metal rod with a little nubbin on the end. I think the last holdouts on those were Japanese cars/pickups, I know my friend has an 86 Nissan pickup with a delicate little plastic signal stalk.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also, floor mounted high beam toggles. gently caress yeah old cars.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I wish they'd standardize which side of the car the fuel cap is on, because it's on the right in my car and on the left on my wife's. I prefer it on the passenger side so I can park close to the pump and still get out of the car.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I kind of love the old signal stalks that were just a metal rod with a little nubbin on the end. I think the last holdouts on those were Japanese cars/pickups, I know my friend has an 86 Nissan pickup with a delicate little plastic signal stalk.

My 2000 Jeep Cherokee just has a little injection molded plastic stalk for the turn signals so they probably went on till 2001 at least. You do push/pull the stalk to turn on or flash the high beams though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Imagined posted:

I wish they'd standardize which side of the car the fuel cap is on, because it's on the right in my car and on the left on my wife's. I prefer it on the passenger side so I can park close to the pump and still get out of the car.

The car I have now is the first one I've ever owned with it on the passenger side.

I've owned the car for 5 years. I still pull up to the wrong side frequently. :sigh:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Imagined posted:

It's on the passenger side of my AE86 and (former) '90 RX-7, but on the driver's side of my '79 RX-7. Which is funny, because I'm in the US. The '90 and AE86 make sense, because that's the JDM driver's side.
Crown Vic and wife's Kia are on the US driver's side. '70 Cutlass is behind the license plate in the rear (best place). :smug: :colbert:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The car I have now is the first one I've ever owned with it on the passenger side.

I've owned the car for 5 years. I still pull up to the wrong side frequently. :sigh:

Look at the little arrow on the gas gauge if you can't remember. not all cars have it, though

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Look at the little arrow on the gas gauge if you can't remember. not all cars have it, though

Alternately, on most cars now built (within the last 20 years) the pointer on the fuel guage will be pointing in the same direction as where the tank is. Ie, if the point is on the left, tank is on the left.

Solar Coaster fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 7, 2018

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Darchangel posted:

It's on the passenger side of my AE86 and (former) '90 RX-7, but on the driver's side of my '79 RX-7. Which is funny, because I'm in the US. The '90 and AE86 make sense, because that's the JDM driver's side.
Crown Vic and wife's Kia are on the US driver's side. '70 Cutlass is behind the license plate in the rear (best place). :smug: :colbert:

It is cool looking if it's in the rear but doesn't it make even a little fender bender a lot more expensive?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It has the arrow, it's just the whole trying to break a 20 year old habit. Started driving at 15, got this car when I was almost 35, coming up on 40 now.

Darchangel posted:

Solar Coaster posted:

Alternately, on most cars now built (within the last 20 years) the pointer on the fuel guage will be pointing in the same direction as where the tank is. Ie, if the point is on the left, tank is on the left.

... you guys are saying the exact same thing. :v:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

xzzy posted:

Also, floor mounted high beam toggles. gently caress yeah old cars.

I used to have a 1965 Chrysler Newport that had that and a floor mounted radio search button. It was a seriously loaded car for those times, power windows / seats, cruise control, the works.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Imagined posted:

It is cool looking if it's in the rear but doesn't it make even a little fender bender a lot more expensive?

I’ll have you know, sir, that the Cutlass’ bumper is made out of heavy-gauge American steel, with none of those fancy impact absorbers. Modern cars just sort of wad up like tinfoil when the hit it. So, no, unless I’m hit by another American classic, or a Mack truck. That would be if it could move under its own power, of course (transmission broked).
Even then, it would just mangle the fuel filler neck, necessitating a fuel tank replacement , which isn’t that expensive. Bumper probably costs more.
The only real down side to the rear fuel filler is that it’s really low, like just barely above the top of the tank, so it’s a little bit of a reach to get the gas nozzle down there, and it leaks if you park rear end downhill with a full tank of your filler cap isn’t up to snuff.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

That’s what I thought.

Edit: on the Cutlass, the fuel filler is behind the license plate, BTW.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dielectric posted:

I can only hope he was running on pure water by that point. Coolant is slippery as heck, and I'm certain he didn't have any Redline in there or anything.

Speaking as a motorcyclist I'd have probably punched him in the ear or something (I am Walter Mitty IRL).

It was green. Those cars came with orange Dexcool.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Finger Prince posted:

Audi driver spotted.

I was pulling out of a side street the other day and some ancient idiot in a brand new Q7 slowed down to basically a complete stop, looking like he was going to turn, then he did turn, into the street I was coming out of. No indicator to be seen the entire time.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

It has the arrow, it's just the whole trying to break a 20 year old habit. Started driving at 15, got this car when I was almost 35, coming up on 40 now.

Incorrect. The first person said there's an arrow in most cars. The second part is saying the gauge needle points to the tank.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Solar Coaster posted:

Or drive a Miata where it’s on top of the rear fender and the car is so small it doesn’t matter anyway.

The one that always gets me is my Suburban which is on the driver’s side ALL THE WAY at the back of the truck and has no indication inside as to which side the tank is on. I drive it so infrequently that I inevitably forget.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Just excellent advice in general

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
NZ successfully solved the gas cap problem by designing pumps with a hose long enough to reach either.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Incorrect. The first person said there's an arrow in most cars. The second part is saying the gauge needle points to the tank.

True. However, the second statement is incorrect. The arrow doesn't point to the tank, it points to the side of the car that the filler for the tank is on. The tank is usually under the rear seat or trunk/hatch floor. Sometimes behind the rear seat. Sometimes in the front, if mid or rear engine. Very rarely is the tank on one side of the car.
Full disclosure: I posted the first statement regarding the arrow.

I feel like the sperg emote needs to go here now.

:spergin:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Breakfast Feud posted:

NZ successfully solved the gas cap problem by designing pumps with a hose long enough to reach either.

Most of the ones in the US will reach, but they've got a retractor cable on them that adds a measure of difficulty, and you know how us 'Mercans are with anything but easy.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

InitialDave posted:

But it's not Dynamat, it's Dynamat tape. Isn't that just their own-brand of tape for sticking down and edge sealing stuff, with no damping properties itself?

Its literally aluminum backed duct tape like you'd get at a hardware store.

That said aluminum backed duct tape from hardware stores does have really good viscoelestic damping properties. Its actually a good choice for this although prob overpriced with the brand name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm surprised you need to wipe

:golfclap: Took me a minute to get the joke. I'm slow a lot of days.