Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Those turn into Toxic worlds for some reason.

Depends on if the nuclear war was fought with regular hydrogen bombs or ones with cobalt thorium g.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Splicer posted:

Imagine their reaction. They leave their beautiful paradise and the first thing they see is an apocalyptic hellscape full of irradiated bugs. I'd turn right around and head home never to leave again.

I mean if you look at the screenshot there's ALSO a size 24 Gaia world one jump from my beautiful artificial paradise homeworld so I mean

The galaxy is sending me real mixed messages here.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Captain Oblivious posted:

I mean if you look at the screenshot there's ALSO a size 24 Gaia world one jump from my beautiful artificial paradise homeworld so I mean

The galaxy is sending me real mixed messages here.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Uhh we've enslaved half our own population you lunatics!!

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
It was a page back but mammalian ships are the best. Robust, angular, and don't look like sex toys. :colbert:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jabarto posted:

It was a page back but mammalian ships are the best. Robust, angular, and don't look like sex toys. :colbert:

Mammalian ships look good. Particulalry the larger ones, where there's quite a bit of visual variety among the different sections. The only ones I don't really like are the plantoid and humanoid ones (humanoid stations and such look neat, but I was disappointed how nearly all humanoid ships look the same and there was so little variety compared to the mammalian ones).

My favorite though is probably reptilian or molluscoid.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Conot posted:

Inward Perfectionists seem to be unable to demand tribute via diplomacy, even though this is listed as the one exception to their isolationism.

I'm guessing they can probably only do it via war goals, but I couldn't confirm because none of my neighbours hated me enough to actually war on me.

Anyone else run into this?

Yeah, I've seen this. Inward Perfection USED to suffer from a side effect of the same bug that meant that machine empires couldn't demand tribute (because it required the OG domination tradition, and anyone with a cosmetically-or-mechanically swapped version didn't qualify), but when they fixed that they actually included a specific "not Inward Perfection" requirement on the demand tribute action, where there wasn't one before. So, while I'd LIKE to think it was just a mistake, honestly it probably is intentional.

Inward Perfection can still HAVE tributaries, by all appearances, but the tributaries themselves have to request it. As a, um, bonus, this means that IP empires can't gain the subjugation CB on anyone, so one fewer way to get in an aggressive war as IP. Which is probably why they did it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah humanoid ships all look like dildos and butt plugs with big goofy turrets plopped on top like they're a boat, really not a fan but their star trek starbase style stations are nice.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It would be real nice if we could like, click a "custom" ship type, and a new menu pops up like for biotrophies, and there's selections for military, civilian ships, stations, colosii, etc.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Truga posted:

It would be real nice if we could like, click a "custom" ship type, and a new menu pops up like for biotrophies, and there's selections for military, civilian ships, stations, colosii, etc.

Yeah being able to mix and match to make a set you like would be cool. Not that you ever really see any of your ships outside of the designer though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

As long as you're very carefully not taking any sections with weird wings sticking out, yes. They're great. :v:

(Still, my new favourite is the Kurogane-shipset you can add via workshop. The ships are rather exotic and lack any kind of turrets, but they have one awesome thing going for them: They look fantastic. Also, they're perfect for machine empires.)

You can find it here.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I feel bad when the stellaris artists go on about how new ship sets are so so hard to do because of all the animations and turret placements and how most workshop ships don't have fully animated turrets and poo poo when I think most people don't care about that stuff. I'd rather have 20 ship sets that are just a nice selection of static sectional models than 8 with turrets you'll never notice unless zoomed way in and even then end up making the ship look ugly and unbalanced anyways.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

When I play, like 90% of my time is spent at the galaxy map level. When I do go into a system, it's usually zoomed out at or near as much as possible OR I'm messing with a planet where the planet window covers most of the screen (and I'm not looking at the rest anyway).

Ship model is almost entirely irrelevant to me.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The only time I really see ships are the little silhouettes from the fleet view, which I wish were a little more detailed and showed the actual silhouette of that particular model of ship so I could easily tell them apart at a glance.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I always zoom into battles and go super slow mo if it is sufficiently large enough. I have a few pretty mods that enhance the experience though. Also weed, I guess.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I always zoom into battles and go super slow mo if it is sufficiently large enough. I have a few pretty mods that enhance the experience though. Also weed, I guess.

I do this too, minus the weed.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

ConfusedUs posted:

lol now I want to play a race of conspiracy theorists.

DARK MATTER CAN'T MELT CONTINENTS. THE DESTRUCTION OF ALDERAAN WAS AN INSIDE JOB!

A FE that doesn't have planetary destruction technology and refuses to believe that it's possible would own.
Just in general a FE that lacks X technology and destroys anyone who gets it out of spite/malice/wounded pride.
"Nobody has ever opened the wormholes, they're full of space monsters, and anyone who says different is getting loving melted back into the primordial ooze."
A FE that only cares about protecting interstellar creatures, so they go to war with you if you kill the Stellar Horror or the Dragon.
"One of a kind lifeforms, irreplaceable, nobody harm a hair on our perfect pets' heads."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Yeah I like a good shipset but I don't remember the last time I cared about turret visuals or anything. Combat just doesn't take place at the scale where they are at all relevant.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Relevant Tangent posted:

A FE that doesn't have planetary destruction technology and refuses to believe that it's possible would own.
Just in general a FE that lacks X technology and destroys anyone who gets it out of spite/malice/wounded pride.
"Nobody has ever opened the wormholes, they're full of space monsters, and anyone who says different is getting loving melted back into the primordial ooze."

I really want a new pacifist or xenophile FE that interacts with gateways somehow. Like it sets up this vast interstellar network of gateways, but starts cutting off assholes who start wars and stuff.

When they awaken, they turn the whole network into toll roads and anyone who refuses to pay gets the "Nice homeworld you got there..." treatment.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Soooo, status update from xenophile space hydras

My closest neighbor is a bunch of Inward Perfection jackoffs. Sure, fine, whatever. I've got migration treaties with other people.

The problem is they expanded their borders over a Cybrex artifact point I hadn't researched yet because no level 5 Scientist. I know Inward Perfection can't do most things, is it possible to butter them up enough for them to at least open their gat dang borders for a minute? I don't WANT to Liberation War them over a Cybrex Artifact but...

I absolutely will :black101:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Captain Oblivious posted:

Soooo, status update from xenophile space hydras

My closest neighbor is a bunch of Inward Perfection jackoffs. Sure, fine, whatever. I've got migration treaties with other people.

The problem is they expanded their borders over a Cybrex artifact point I hadn't researched yet because no level 5 Scientist. I know Inward Perfection can't do most things, is it possible to butter them up enough for them to at least open their gat dang borders for a minute? I don't WANT to Liberation War them over a Cybrex Artifact but...

I absolutely will :black101:

Playing as Inward Perfectionists right now and there's nothing stopping me from opening borders. So if you can get on their good side they should open up to you, I presume.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The only way you'll get into their territory is to declare war. You'll be able to enter during the war and for a few years afterwards before they close down again.

However, 2.0 helps you out a bit. If you go long enough without getting precursor stuff, other empires will sometimes ring you up and offer you one that they found. Kind of like that one event where you find some empire's lost literary masterpiece and can give it to them (or set it on fire). Just in reverse.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So I had a funny idea. I wasn't sure if it would work however. Or if there was any interest in it.

Looking at the multiplayer portion of Stellaris I noticed that people say it features what appears to be drop in gameplay. IE: You can log in, take over an empire, log out for the night and have the AI take over, and either log in later or have someone else log in to take it over. Assuming that's right, I was thinking of a neat little experiment. Since the Star Trek total conversion mod is literally it's own game by itself and has so many features that the base game doesn't have like:

- Federations actually being able to vote or participate in group wide measures and being able to extend diplomatic actions and sanctions to groups outside of their own federation instead of just being a way to survive larger superpowers.

- Advanced megastructure projects and unique race mechanics for just about every race (Of which there are like 40-50 of them.).

- Entirely new race mechanics supporting spaceborne and nomadic only races. Alongside a pretty crazy number of race specific mechanics/gameplay changing features. Just to give a few examples:

The minor race called the Krenim can literally dick around with the space time continuum and the established events that have taken place in the game, assuming they don't get completely eaten by the Borg in the early game. This lets them alter their portion of the map or even redact fleets and alter the ideologies of some nations through temporal fuckery.

The Voth live in mobile super-habitats that double as a colossus sized combat capable dreadnoughts that they can build late game. No idea how the mod makers managed this, but it's a thing.

The Romulans can found an intelligence agency to conduct espionage while the Founders/Dominion can replace leaders (and even national leaders) with Changelings. This has it's own effects, like stealing research if you replace a scientist, or outright trying to co-opt a nation without them knowing it by replacing their president/warlord/emperor/whatever.

The Federation can actually play a pacifistic game where they do diplomacy and exploration to expand and absorb other nations without fighting a war. This includes new ship mechanics where you can send a ship to a planet with a "diplomatic delegation" module installed and get trust and diplomacy bonuses. This is on top of being able to give member worlds unique benefits like research buffs, unique technologies that other races could only get, and more.

- Multiple crises going at once with a far higher number of them possible and some even independently dependent on a certain race doing things. The Borg for instance can piss off the Undine, thereby causing them invade the galaxy and go a-purgin' until someone finds a way to counter-invade them or shut down their access to the main game map.

- Extremely different/in depth ship and combat mechanics that are entirely different from anything in the base game. See the diplomacy module as one example. The rest really has to be seen to be understood. Suffice to say that the original ship design system is gone entirely in favor of something more nuanced.

- Vastly different things that can occur from game to game depending on if a given empire follows it's canon story line route or not. For instance, if playing in the Mirror Universe as the Terran Empire you can have a civil war occur and choose to side with the alien rebels or the humans. This changes their entire play style and layout. Ditto for the Federation, which actually has to be formed first and can even be pre-empted by the Xindi if they're careful and a bit lucky. If the Xindi manage to destroy Earth?...Well, hope you like the chance of having a bunch of xenophobic refugees wanting to go all Imperium of Man on the galaxy. Alternatively, they could have an initial mini-Federation with a few Xindi races if they play their cards right.

Given all that I was thinking that would make for an interesting multiplayer game. So I was considering hosting a dedicated server on normal speed where you could drop in and play as a certain empire. Or hosting a server at a regular assigned time of the day every day so that everyone could get their time in to play. It's a slower paced game than base Stellaris so this could work out by letting people dick around at their leisure or even let multiple people coordinate over running a single empire over the course of a single play through.

I have no idea how viable that'd be though. Or even if there's a decent enough number of goons to justify it.

So TL;DR: Is anyone up for a dedicated server to play that mod on?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 7, 2018

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I don't zoom in that often but when there's a particularly huge battle I do. Set it down to slow speed and check out all the sweet action as it unfolds. The cool animations/effects and ship designs aren't lost on me at least.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

zooming in can actually teach your star tactics.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Archonex posted:

Looking at the multiplayer portion of Stellaris I noticed that people say it features what appears to be drop in gameplay. IE: You can log in, take over an empire, log out for the night and have the AI take over, and either log in later or have someone else log in to take it over.

I've heard this is currently quite problematic because the AI empires currently get big maintenance cost reductions on their fleets. You log into an AI empire and see a massive mineral deficit, but they can keep on running like nothing's happening. It's undocumented and occurs at all difficulty levels.

It's significantly more relevant now than it used to be because of the large mineral maintenance costs of ships.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Don't mind me, I'm just building a few habitats

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

ConfusedUs posted:

I really want a new pacifist or xenophile FE that interacts with gateways somehow. Like it sets up this vast interstellar network of gateways, but starts cutting off assholes who start wars and stuff.

When they awaken, they turn the whole network into toll roads and anyone who refuses to pay gets the "Nice homeworld you got there..." treatment.

I would pay for a DLC that doubled the number of empires that can be generated and that changed half of those empires to Fallen Empires of various types and is just the story of your Empire trying to deal with all this crazy poo poo that the previously somnolent lords of creation are demanding of you and the other newcomers as they awaken.

Surprise, your neighbors are Enigmatic Keepers of Knowledge, Xenophobic Techlords, the Anti-Psychic Hypocrites, and Bob, who went to sleep for a few thousand years and is waking up curious about the changes that have taken place while they were asleep

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah humanoid ships all look like dildos and butt plugs with big goofy turrets plopped on top like they're a boat, really not a fan but their star trek starbase style stations are nice.

I dunno about you but I'm not sticking anything with that many gribblies or 45 degree angles up my butt.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Am I missing something, or is the war exhaustion system incredibly retarded? I literally can't engage in a battle without reaching 100%, even when my enemy retreats. Seems impossible to win if you are the smaller opponent. And why the gently caress does it tick up when I'm doing literally nothing? I'm not sure what I am supposed to do. Built starbases but they're not really much good considering it takes about 15 seconds for a good sized enemy fleet to take them out while it takes approximately five millenia for my fleets to crawl across my territory. I like the new system in theory but in practice it's frustrating as gently caress.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 7, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

War exhaustion goes up over time slowly, losing military assets also causes it to go up. Avoid losing ships, stations, and armies, also avoid getting your planets occupied.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

OwlFancier posted:

War exhaustion goes up over time slowly, losing military assets also causes it to go up. Avoid losing ships, stations, and armies, also avoid getting your planets occupied.

So uh how do I avoid losing ships and stations while also being able to engage my enemy? How am I still getting more war exhaustion then my enemy from a battle even though they're the ones running away?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Magil Zeal posted:

I've heard this is currently quite problematic because the AI empires currently get big maintenance cost reductions on their fleets. You log into an AI empire and see a massive mineral deficit, but they can keep on running like nothing's happening. It's undocumented and occurs at all difficulty levels.

It's significantly more relevant now than it used to be because of the large mineral maintenance costs of ships.

I don't know about the base game but part of the fix in the Star Trek Mod is that there is something like a fifty ship cap for every individual empire in the Star Trek mod. This is partially because ships can be a hell of a lot more powerful (To give an example, you can research tech that lets them deploy marines while bombarding a planet instead of having to send a transport fleet. Ships that can repair themselves in small increments over the course of days or months is an early unlock too, as are drydocks to do long distance campaigns.) and multi-purpose.

If it's not something attached to the base game in a hard coded way however I could mod it out however if that's a deal breaker. The Steam Workshop gives you access to the mod files when you download it so it would be as easy as making the necessary alterations and adding it as an upload in a private games thread.

DarkCrawler posted:

So uh how do I avoid losing ships and stations while also being able to engage my enemy? How am I still getting more war exhaustion then my enemy even though they're the ones running away?

What i've learned is that it's valuable to invest in defenses to outlast your opponent. Run smaller fleets that do hit and run strikes on their starbases and stations instead of one gigantic doom fleet. Exhaustion occurs when you lose something. But it also occurs when the enemy loses something too. So the trick is to have one big fleet that does the primary engagements while you have guerrilla fleets that can warp in and take out enemy assets/be able to retreat at a moment's notice.

It also helps if you have fortified starbases on your borders that act as defensive stopgaps. Even one can gently caress up the enemy's war plans and put them on the defensive or force them to lose too many ships to be viable in combat down the line.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 7, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

it's not undocumented, let's please not import that kind of nonsense from the paradox forums. it's a flat 50% upkeep reduction for all things, fleets, buildings, etc. for the AI that has been present from the beginning. this was once common knowledge but has blown up into a ridiculous controversy.

anyway, yeah, taking over an empire that has been AI from the start of the game can be problematic. i'm not sure if the AI would bungle the economy if a player set it all up and then let the AI take over for a while, though, other than maybe building up too much of a fleet.

DarkCrawler posted:

So uh how do I avoid losing ships and stations while also being able to engage my enemy? How am I still getting more war exhaustion then my enemy from a battle even though they're the ones running away?

war exhaustion per ship loss is related to your naval cap. if the enemy has a larger naval cap than you, an even battle where both sides lose the same number of ships will give you more exhaustion than it does them, and vice versa.

this also means that starbases are great for running up enemy exhaustion, because the loss of defense platforms/the starbase itself gives no exhaustion, but the enemy casualties taken while seizing it will.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DarkCrawler posted:

"Running away" isn't losing, if you're just causing their craft to disengage that doesn't count as a loss, because they can repair and come right back at you.

What are you fighting and what are you fighting with, also what sort of power levels are we talking?

Jazerus posted:

this also means that starbases are great for running up enemy exhaustion, because the loss of defense platforms/the starbase itself gives no exhaustion, but the enemy casualties taken while seizing it will.

Are you sure about that? Because I've gained exhaustion from losing a starbase + platforms before, I don't think losing the base gives you any in 2.02 but the platforms I think did in 2.0 at least?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 7, 2018

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Jazerus posted:

it's not undocumented, let's please not import that kind of nonsense from the paradox forums.

By a strict definition of the term "undocumented" yes I think it is. I don't personally care all that much because I'm used to it across various strategy titles but it's not mentioned anywhere in-game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DarkCrawler posted:

The system is pretty good but the calculations could use a bit better balance. I've never had this problem, but a lot of people have the same complaint. They're clearly 'winning' the war but their exhaustion is going up at the same rate or even higher due to their own losses and the enemy constantly escaping from battles.

I've found the key is to not let the enemies retreat. Push forward with your fleet, keep chasing them, find where they ran away to and finish them off. Once you finally actually destroy their fleet they get crazy exhaustion and fold.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Jazerus posted:

it's not undocumented, let's please not import that kind of nonsense from the paradox forums. it's a flat 50% upkeep reduction for all things, fleets, buildings, etc. for the AI that has been present from the beginning. this was once common knowledge but has blown up into a ridiculous controversy.

It's not in the defines, and it directly contradicted Wiz's multiple statements that the AI doesn't get piles of resources, which in fact was a nuanced observation that it doesn't get free resources and not that it doesn't get a reduction in resource use, very precise wording

And the only way you can figure it out is by doing the testing and noticing that the amt subtracted is less than what is indicated

Like that's the definition of not documented, it doesn't tell you anywhere that it's doing something at odds with the rest of the rules of the game and you have to figure it out through testing

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's not in the defines, and it directly contradicted Wiz's multiple statements that the AI doesn't get piles of resources, which in fact was a nuanced observation that it doesn't get free resources and not that it doesn't get a reduction in resource use, very precise wording

And the only way you can figure it out is by doing the testing and noticing that the amt subtracted is less than what is indicated

Like that's the definition of not documented, it doesn't tell you anywhere that it's doing something at odds with the rest of the rules of the game and you have to figure it out through testing

jesus christ who cares

the AI needs all the help it can get, the people asking for a no-bonus-AI easy mode are going to play that way once after wiz implements it and then figure out that it isn't actually fun to roll over AIs who are Pathetic by 2250

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

DarkCrawler posted:

Sound like your enemy is using hit & run tactics to wear you down. Attacking with long ranged weapons like missiles and then retreating ASAP before the enemy has time to make up for it with their short ranged firepower is a good strategy that appears to be working as intended.

I just never thought the AI would actually pull it off.