Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Ramuh is soloable but still annoying. Another fun challenge is Ultima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Truga posted:

Won't that kind of poo poo get you banned though?

No more so then using ACT or Reshade. No one else in game can see anything the mods change and they don't affect pvp performance. Been using a couple myself for the last few months to get rid of all the extra crap on the strife vest so it's just a nice ribbed vest and also to have anime eyes.

There's also one for hiding the aether pack on MCH that I like.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Wacky Delly posted:

As a i340ish PLD I've been able to solo everything but Levi, although I haven't tried Ramuh yet. May have to try that tonight.

Edit: \/ Have to try that too

did ramhuh fine as a pld 340+

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Truga posted:

Won't that kind of poo poo get you banned though?

There was a bit of a scandal where players were being banned from posting glamour shots of their nude modded cat and dragon girls, but even then it was mainly because the watermark FFXIV puts on screenshots resulted in what could have been mistaken for Official SQEX FFXIV Pinups. That’s the only thing I have heard of regarding these kind of mods getting people in trouble.

Edit: It’s not like that WoW mod that let you shave half an hour off the Eye of C’Thun raid by deleting the elevator model and skipping the huge trash pack.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Can mods restore my butt?

Wait, no; can they give me an even better-than-the-old butt?!?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

Welcome to the internet, we can’t wait to show you what nexus has done with the place

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

i am tim! posted:

There was a bit of a scandal where players were being banned from posting glamour shots of their nude modded cat and dragon girls, but even then it was mainly because the watermark FFXIV puts on screenshots resulted in what could have been mistaken for Official SQEX FFXIV Pinups. That’s the only thing I have heard of regarding these kind of mods getting people in trouble.

Edit: It’s not like that WoW mod that let you shave half an hour off the Eye of C’Thun raid by deleting the elevator model and skipping the huge trash pack.

Dragongirls weren't modded as far as I remember, the screenshots were hella suggestive but made with what you can have in game. Mods of any kind are against the terms though so try to keep it to yourself.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Wacky Delly posted:

As a i340ish PLD I've been able to solo everything but Levi, although I haven't tried Ramuh yet. May have to try that tonight.

Edit: \/ Have to try that too

For Ramuh, make sure there aren't a lot of the lightning orbs out. They power up his attacks, and it ramps up pretty fast after a certain amount of them are out. The bonus is that picking them up makes him hit you for even less since they will buff your resistance. Leviathan as a tank, you just need to be north of about 40k health for the second Tidal Wave if you just want to skip the converter bull, so long as you aren't hit by his pre-Tidal Wave dashes that inflict resistance down. Easy enough for a Paladin to achieve.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for someone to mod out the doors in Uznair.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ramuh is kind of annoying on PLD since you have to be somewhat careful collecting orbs due to the healing debuff. It's easier on WAR since the debuff doesn't effect Equilibrium or Storm's Path.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Being Overloaded is a much better alternative to his attacks doing 16k. The healing reduction at 4 or 5 stacks isn't the end of the world, especially since his buster gets reduced from the effect. Clemency is still potent enough to carry you through, you may just need an additional cast or two during Requiescat.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Can't wait for someone to mod out the doors in Uznair.

People have actually tried this. The game does not decide which door is right until after a door is selected.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So where do you learn that dumb idol dance? Asking for a friend.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I have begun to level AST now that I am (temporarily) done leveling my DPSes.

Help me learn how to not be poo poo so I can queue for Raid Roulette. I've never really played a Healer before. :ohdear:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

So I'm very new to the game and just started doing party quests via the duty finder.

Is it normal to have nobody chatting or talking during these things? I don't mind but every time people just rush to finish and know what to do I guess.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

AngusPodgorny posted:

Ramuh is soloable but still annoying. Another fun challenge is Ultima.

In my low effort attempts at Ultima HM I keep getting five stacks and instantly dying just before I can finish him off. :saddowns: Except one time when I had three stacks and then they fell off because he forgot to re apply them in time somehow?

MrMidnight posted:

So I'm very new to the game and just started doing party quests via the duty finder.

Is it normal to have nobody chatting or talking during these things? I don't mind but every time people just rush to finish and know what to do I guess.

Welcome to the game! Yes, it's somewhat common for people to be quiet in dungeons unfortunately. Many people who play use a PS4 and may not have a keyboard plugged in, or just don't want to set the controller down to talk.

And there are also people who are just antisocial. But chatting more than a basic "hi" at the start can often get other people taking too.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 7, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MrMidnight posted:

People who don't talk in chat are edgelords and should be treated with disdain. :argh:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

As a healer keep people topped off and spam dots/your attack spell and your AoE on largee groups. Use cooldowns for oh poo poo moments or big pulls.

E: Also if your tank is going single group and you're easily topping them off, be considerate to the whole group and suggest to pull more groups.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 7, 2018

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I have begun to level AST now that I am (temporarily) done leveling my DPSes.

Help me learn how to not be poo poo so I can queue for Raid Roulette. I've never really played a Healer before. :ohdear:

Look at the party list.
Are you in with a WHM? Use Nocturnal Sect.
SCH? Diurnal Sect.
AST? Whichever they aren’t using :v:

Shields before any raidwide damage (this takes practice) and heals when needed, otherwise you’re a green DPS.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Thanks! But what if I'm solo healing?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Big aoes tend to be pretty telegraphed so apply an aspected Helios before regardless of which sect

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You’re still a green DPS and the tank had best adjust.

I like Diurnal Sect for dungeons ‘cause I’ve played WHM since ARR. Your goal is to cast Gravity until no enemies are left. Bring Lucid Dreaming, you’ll need it - also, Essential Dignity heals for more HP the lower your target is, so sneak in that extra cast.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

HenryEx posted:

So where do you learn that dumb idol dance? Asking for a friend.

There are a couple of dumb idol dances. There's the gold dance you buy from the gold saucer, and the songbird dance you get from either doing the little ladies event last year, or buying it from the mogstation if you didn't play when the event was going on.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Use Diurnal Sect. Noct preshield before pulls if you want to but Diurnal is better 99% of the time.
Cards are not hard. Don't make them more complicated than they have to be. Don't try to find edge case uses for Ewer and Spire because they're bad. RR them or shuffle them or Minor Arcana them. Don't hold Boles for the tank to use later. Just keep throwing dps cards at dps people - preferably whoever's doing the most work, or just expand them.
Only heal when people have the risk of dieing in the next while. If a dps is at 90% health, and there's not a 90% hp attack going around, ignore them. If they're at 50% and the aoe they won't dodge only does 20% damage, ignore them.
If you have nothing to do in the next 3 seconds, cast your dps spells..

That's solo and group advice. Don't use Noct in 8-man stuff unless you're running dual AST, or the content is something savage and you really, 100% need the shields. The regens are more useful and more efficient, and they stack with WHM regen. You don't need to shield through an attack that only does 50% of the group's HP, when it's cheaper to just heal through the damage. You use shields because you're at risk of dieing and can afford the efficiency hit, or the damage is high enough that healing through it is harder.

e: A little more: All proper healing is predictive, not reactionary. The more you know the fight, the more you know when you need to top people up, and when you can leave it for a while. It doesn't matter the content, you're going to find long windows when people just don't take relevant damage, so healing is about learning those windows to minimize healing and maximize doing something useful. Shielding is even moreso, because shielding a tank after a tankbuster, or the group just after a raid aoe goes out kinda defeats the purpose.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 7, 2018

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Sadly no but can I interest you in a Pregnant Futa

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tenik posted:

There are a couple of dumb idol dances. There's the gold dance you buy from the gold saucer, and the songbird dance you get from either doing the little ladies event last year, or buying it from the mogstation if you didn't play when the event was going on.
The "Songbird" dance is two bucks on the mog station last I saw.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Thanks for the advice! :dance:

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Random question about healer play:
When you're not solo healing, how do you split healing targets with the other healers? Sometimes when I heal in 8 or 24 mans it feels like I waste a lot of GCDs healing people that are already getting healed by somebody else, but I've never heard anybody, even in harder content, call targets for healing or split up responsibilities or anything outside of raise macros. Is there something I'm missing here? Never did any healing that wasn't solo healing in other games.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
In an organized group, you can split up responsibilities based off your cooldowns and what the fight actually does. I don't think anyone plans it out, but the healers just kinda get into a groove knowing what they can give and take.

In pug / pf play, you just overheal a lot and deal with it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

troofs posted:

Random question about healer play:
When you're not solo healing, how do you split healing targets with the other healers? Sometimes when I heal in 8 or 24 mans it feels like I waste a lot of GCDs healing people that are already getting healed by somebody else, but I've never heard anybody, even in harder content, call targets for healing or split up responsibilities or anything outside of raise macros. Is there something I'm missing here? Never did any healing that wasn't solo healing in other games.
I just drop a lot of Aspected Benefic and collect tomestones of bacon at the end.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
https://twitter.com/GalaickXIV/status/971161212636532737

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

In pug / pf play, you just overheal a lot and deal with it.

This but you don't actually heal at all and just let the pubby deal with it. :v:

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Fair enough, was just wondering if I'd been screwing it up this whole time.

Back to overhealing the tank, not paying attention to the DPS players, and out-parsing the DRG

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Brainamp posted:

This but you don't actually heal at all and just let the pubby deal with it. :v:

They'll do enough overhealing for the both you (please stop rolling medica ii's it's completely unnecessary)

KoB
May 1, 2009

hihifellow posted:

(please stop rolling medica ii's it's completely unnecessary)

never

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Eventually you get used to seeing someone pop up to 90% half a second before your Cure II lands.

Or that time me and the other WHM popped Benediction on the same tank at the same time.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

hihifellow posted:

rolling medica ii

🤬🤬🤬

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

every single pf paladin posted:

who the gently caress is scraeming "SWORD OATH" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never stop clemencying

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
I seem to have turned into a valley elf but at least I have the best emote again

My main is currently living in the bone zone on Balmung, so I moved my mostly-unused Midgardsormr character over to Excal. If you had a hole in your life and lower blood pressure from the lack of salt, you can add me as Estelle Mayi.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Thundarr posted:

In my low effort attempts at Ultima HM I keep getting five stacks and instantly dying just before I can finish him off. :saddowns: Except one time when I had three stacks and then they fell off because he forgot to re apply them in time somehow?

Welcome to the game! Yes, it's somewhat common for people to be quiet in dungeons unfortunately. Many people who play use a PS4 and may not have a keyboard plugged in, or just don't want to set the controller down to talk.

And there are also people who are just antisocial. But chatting more than a basic "hi" at the start can often get other people taking too.
With enough dps you can push him into phases where he's busy doing other things so the stacks fall off, so the only real danger is intercepting the orbs. I've done it with an i347 pld in sword oath and an i350 rdm (rdm is much harder because I have to time a vercure proc to live through the 4-orb set).

Even on PC I rarely talk in the middle of a dungeon unless there's downtime from a wipe or someone needing a break or something, because that means I'm not doing anything productive.