Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
If you're on a mac, Logic has a built-in binaural panning feature that works pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Where's the best place to post demos to get feedback now? The old sketches thread is pretty dead.

I have 1.5 EPs demo'd with no vocals and just wanted to get feedback on the composition and stuff, but I don't think it warrants a thread for itself.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

syntaxfunction posted:

Where's the best place to post demos to get feedback now? The old sketches thread is pretty dead.

I have 1.5 EPs demo'd with no vocals and just wanted to get feedback on the composition and stuff, but I don't think it warrants a thread for itself.

There is a “Are you recording/writing your next album?” Thread here that would probably be a decent place to start.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834831&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've been reading that thread but it seems to be mainly almost finished albums or talk about actually recording. My poo poo is just bedroom demos that aren't even completely finished in terms of writing.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I guess if it's synthy the 'how do i make electronic/dj' thread or the synth thread or if its guitarry the guitar thread.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What scale is this song's melody in? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cCc7xv6uCk

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I'm not great at theory, but it sounds like C Harmonic minor to me. C minor scale except with a major seventh.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

C natural minor. The first phrase is C D Eb D C D Bb. The Bb is sustained and the B natural is just a pickup into the second phrase; if they were reversed it would be harmonic minor.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Melodic minor would allow for both :)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

With regards to the binaural chat here, this was just released from Sennheiser:

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2018/02/13/free-binaural-vst-sennheiser/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_onYCgzzL4

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

^^^that is cool as hell, thanks for posting it!

does anyone know of any good resources for learning electrical engineering that are geared toward musicians? i got an ms-20 mini last year and have really enjoyed it, but i'd love to get into actually building modular synthesizers and effects pedals on my own. all the things i've checked out so far have been pretty bone-dry & general—MIT has a free course up, and All About Circuits has some good stuff, but i have a hard time tracking with those things because i kinda already know a lot of the basics and don't understand how to apply anything those courses discuss in my intended direction.

my ideal is something like a youtube series where someone explains how circuits/resistors/capacitors/etc all work by building a simple synthesizer or effects pedals as a demonstration, but all i can find are people who don't explain things beyond "get this part, put it here" and/or don't know enough about video production/editing to get anything across clearly.

i did pick up a copy of "Make: Modular Synthesizers" on amazon but it hasn't arrived yet, so i don't know what kind of skill level it requires as a base and i'm worried it'll be too advanced if my only experience is building cables and repairing my broken e-drum pads.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Lookmumnocomputer on youtube has some simple projects and explains them a bit while showing how to build them.
Then he goes crazy with them like building a synth with 100 simple oscillators.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

ha! his cereal box distortion video was actually what inspired me to finally look into doing this—i've been binging through his channel the past couple weeks, and he does some seriously cool poo poo. his explanations are mostly over my head at this point, though, which is why i've been looking for a resource to explain projects like his in more detail. like, "i'm putting this resistor here because x and this transistor here because y" type stuff.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainViolence posted:

ha! his cereal box distortion video was actually what inspired me to finally look into doing this—i've been binging through his channel the past couple weeks, and he does some seriously cool poo poo. his explanations are mostly over my head at this point, though, which is why i've been looking for a resource to explain projects like his in more detail. like, "i'm putting this resistor here because x and this transistor here because y" type stuff.

Brian Wampler has a bunch of videos where he kinda does this in passing. Anything where he talks about modding pedals is guaranteed to at least help you identity different parts of a circuit (ie "this is the clipping section, having two diodes on one side and one on the other gives you asymmetric clipping which sounds more open and less compressed")

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

Brian Wampler has a bunch of videos where he kinda does this in passing. Anything where he talks about modding pedals is guaranteed to at least help you identity different parts of a circuit (ie "this is the clipping section, having two diodes on one side and one on the other gives you asymmetric clipping which sounds more open and less compressed")

I was just about to post this. I watched a couple of his videos and he does explain what each component does at each location, and as you mentioned, this is especially true on his modding pedal videos.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

oh, good to know! i subscribed to him a while back after seeing one of his videos posted in some thread here but haven't really dug into his channel yet. i'll give it a shot. thanks, everyone!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy poo poo, I love his channel! I've always toyed with the idea of actually making gear, at least just for myself, and might actually get into it in the next little while. Thanks for posting about it, that cereal box distortion one is great. For reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fin8Yno69pY

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I got a LP-facsimile from Warmoth that I have been slowly putting together, but I only recently realized that I hammered in one of the bridge posts without settling the groundwire in first :negative: How do I get the post out or, failing that, connect it to the ground wire? Nothing else has been put into place yet since that will only make things worse.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Thumposaurus posted:

Lookmumnocomputer on youtube has some simple projects and explains them a bit while showing how to build them.
Then he goes crazy with them like building a synth with 100 simple oscillators.

I liked the furby organ

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Quick question to any Aussies. I want to rehaul my first electric guitar. I was going to order from GFS which isn't too pricey. But once you add shipping and conversion it comes to like AU$300. I bought the guitar new for 250.

So yeah, anyone know of an Australian parts place? They don't need to be brand name stuff, I just want it working again.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

You're probably not going to save anything by shopping locally. What you save in shipping you will more than pay for in 'Australia tax'. And you probably won't save that much in shipping anyway.

Paying more for upgrades than the price of the original item seems to be a right of passage in many hobbies.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
I am pretty good at playing piano by ear, but sight-reading continues to be a nightmare to me. It's not so much the notes, but the rhythm. If I know the music already, it's usually a walk in the park, but mostly because my hands just naturally kind of know where to go without the music.

My girlfriend does musical theatre and is increasingly bringing home sheet music that is incredibly complex. For example, tonight's work is Revolting Children from Matilda, which alternates between 4/4 and 7/8 periodically and goes VERY fast with semiquavers galore. I have NO idea how to count quickly in 7/8 to the resolution of semiquavers. Does anyone have any advice as to how to better grasp this? I even struggle to count quavers if it's 4/4 or 3/4 because I'm often counting the crotchets. Even if my toe is tapping double time, this seldom helps.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I am pretty good at playing piano by ear, but sight-reading continues to be a nightmare to me. It's not so much the notes, but the rhythm. If I know the music already, it's usually a walk in the park, but mostly because my hands just naturally kind of know where to go without the music.

My girlfriend does musical theatre and is increasingly bringing home sheet music that is incredibly complex. For example, tonight's work is Revolting Children from Matilda, which alternates between 4/4 and 7/8 periodically and goes VERY fast with semiquavers galore. I have NO idea how to count quickly in 7/8 to the resolution of semiquavers. Does anyone have any advice as to how to better grasp this? I even struggle to count quavers if it's 4/4 or 3/4 because I'm often counting the crotchets. Even if my toe is tapping double time, this seldom helps.

Count quavers as you walk, each step is a crotchet. Count in different crotchet-based time signatures, not just 4/4, e.g. 3/4 and 5/4. After you stop losing count, start systematically clapping (or tapping your leg if you want to be discreet) quavers: eight measures on the downbeat of 1, then downbeat of 2, downbeat of 3, downbeat of 4, then + of 1, + of 2, + of 3, + of 4.

Then count 7/8 while walking (no clapping). First measure your steps will be on "downbeats"/odd numbers, second measure they'll be on "upbeats"/even numbers. Do the clapping systematically as well.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I too am a rhythmically challenged goon, I'm a beginner violin player who can handle classical music because I played classical guitar 20 years ago. I started learning jazz violin because improv is something I was never any good at and oh god, off beat is killing me.

But my question is actually this - I have chordbot on my phone for accompaniment which is a neat tool but it only plays chord progressions in sequence. I'm looking for something for android that would let me assign chords to buttons I could control with a footpad (I don't actually have one, but I think there should be a USB keyboard somewhere that could stand to get most of the keys ripped out). So step on a key, play a chord on repeat, or a drone, since rhythm is an issue, step on another, play that one. The main issue here is I don't know enough about this stuff to do a proper google search :v:

p.s. the ability to make custom arpeggios would be a plus

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

Jazz Marimba posted:

Count quavers as you walk, each step is a crotchet. Count in different crotchet-based time signatures, not just 4/4, e.g. 3/4 and 5/4. After you stop losing count, start systematically clapping (or tapping your leg if you want to be discreet) quavers: eight measures on the downbeat of 1, then downbeat of 2, downbeat of 3, downbeat of 4, then + of 1, + of 2, + of 3, + of 4.

Then count 7/8 while walking (no clapping). First measure your steps will be on "downbeats"/odd numbers, second measure they'll be on "upbeats"/even numbers. Do the clapping systematically as well.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean count crotchets as I walk, rather than quavers?

And I'm not sure what you mean by eight measures on the downbeat? Have I understood that to mean 2 bars of 4/4? I'm not sure what you mean "downbeat of two" etc.

Thanks!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Jason Sextro posted:

I got a LP-facsimile from Warmoth that I have been slowly putting together, but I only recently realized that I hammered in one of the bridge posts without settling the groundwire in first :negative: How do I get the post out or, failing that, connect it to the ground wire? Nothing else has been put into place yet since that will only make things worse.

Screw one of the mounting posts into it and carefully use a claw hammer to pull it out. Pot another piece of wood on top to protect the guitars top.
Or stewmac has this tool
http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Maintenance/Schatten_Knob_and_Bushing_Puller.html

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean count crotchets as I walk, rather than quavers?

And I'm not sure what you mean by eight measures on the downbeat? Have I understood that to mean 2 bars of 4/4? I'm not sure what you mean "downbeat of two" etc.

Thanks!

I'm American and am about 14% sure I used your terminology correctly, so here's a worksheet I put together

edit: "downbeat of 2" means when you say "two", vs. "+ of 2"/"and of two" is when you say "and" after that "two", e.g. verbosely counting a single measure of music would be:
downbeat of one
and of one
downbeat of two
and of two
downbeat of three
and of three
downbeat of four
and of four

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 7, 2018

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

Jazz Marimba posted:

I'm American and am about 14% sure I used your terminology correctly, so here's a worksheet I put together

edit: "downbeat of 2" means when you say "two", vs. "+ of 2"/"and of two" is when you say "and" after that "two", e.g. verbosely counting a single measure of music would be:
downbeat of one
and of one
downbeat of two
and of two
downbeat of three
and of three
downbeat of four
and of four

I'm sorry but this has just confused me more! As I understand, I am doing left / right steps, with each step as a crotchet. I am also presumably saying "and" to represent the quavers between these notes?
If this is correct, I'm still lost as to the emphasis of the downbeat shifting across the bar, presumably indicated by the x-crotchet in your score?
If you're happy, I wouldn't mind talking over PM. I'm sure we can clear up the confusion quickly, but I don't wanna derail the thread!

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I'm sorry but this has just confused me more! As I understand, I am doing left / right steps, with each step as a crotchet. I am also presumably saying "and" to represent the quavers between these notes?
If this is correct, I'm still lost as to the emphasis of the downbeat shifting across the bar, presumably indicated by the x-crotchet in your score?
If you're happy, I wouldn't mind talking over PM. I'm sure we can clear up the confusion quickly, but I don't wanna derail the thread!

Yes, count all quavers, saying aloud "one and two and three and four and". The x is clapping. PM me if you have more questions; I can (should've?) add a couple more things to the worksheet for clarity.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I've been getting more and more into music production and have a bunch of money put away to give myself a birthday present.

My options right now are a Push 2 with a Live 10 upgrade license or a Komplete Kontrol.

Which one would you chose and why? Or any other cool music making device I guess

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Unless your primary focus is learning piano, I would 100% opt for the Push. It is purpose built for Ableton and nothing really compares to it in terms of sheer versatility.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm experimenting with playing scales over different chords, and I have a theory question.

So let's say I'm playing a chord progression of G major > C major > D major and then that repeats. I play the G major scale over the G chord, C major scale over the C chord, etc

but if I wanted to play in mixolydian, would that mean I just use G mixolydian over G, C mixolydian over C, etc? Or am I misunderstanding how modes work?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Sure, you can do that. Modes are literally just scales. I think you might be thinking you should use one mode for a set of chords/a chord progression? Which yeah, you can do, but not so much with the example you gave, because there’s some pitches that are not common between all three chords. If it were C major, G major, D Minor, you could do all of that with a C major scale or a G mixolydian scale, or a couple other scales too.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hawkgirl posted:

Sure, you can do that. Modes are literally just scales. I think you might be thinking you should use one mode for a set of chords/a chord progression? Which yeah, you can do, but not so much with the example you gave, because there’s some pitches that are not common between all three chords. If it were C major, G major, D Minor, you could do all of that with a C major scale or a G mixolydian scale, or a couple other scales too.

Thank you for the reply! I know about using one scale over a chord progression, but I'm trying to expand my playing a bit by using multiple scales when I solo over a progression. What you said definitely makes sense though. If anyone has any other tips for this type of stuff, that would be great.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it

Kvlt! posted:

Thank you for the reply! I know about using one scale over a chord progression, but I'm trying to expand my playing a bit by using multiple scales when I solo over a progression. What you said definitely makes sense though. If anyone has any other tips for this type of stuff, that would be great.

Your C Major, D Major and G Major are the major chords in G so you would normally play everything using the G Major scale. The modes for each chord would be C lydian, D mixolydian and G ionian, which are all the same seven notes but starting from a different base. Switching to playing the same mode on each chord (ie mixolydian on C, D and G) would mean using a different mode to the one in the key.

Of course that's fine if it sounds good and can be used to good effect but if you're just noodling about you'll have odd sounding notes all over it.

I think you already know this but I'm not really sure what it is you're asking.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I think Kvlt's talking about the idea of playing a mode over a progression, instead of the 'correct' basic major or minor scale. So if you have a G major progression, the related scale is G major, and you'd just use that over the whole progression, all the different chords. But you could also play something else, and G Mixolydian is a popular one to use, because it swaps that slightly cheesy major 7th for a cooler flat 7th

You can do that kind of thing, it's just that the 'correct' scale shares the same notes as the chords in the progression (the chords are actually built from those notes). If you use a different scale, now some of the notes are different, and they might clash with what you're hearing in the chords at a particular moment. That's not necessarily a bad thing, that's the colour you're bringing to the music - a typical blues sound is playing the minor pentatonic (with the tritone of all things thrown in) over the major progression. It works!

You can go further with this idea - you could shift between G Major and G Mixolydian in different parts of the song, or over certain chords, to control where that colour is applied while still basically staying in G. You could completely change the root of the scale to fit each chord you're playing (like with your G mixo over G, C mixo over C), or just do it once to shift the tonality of the song so it's like you're emphasising the C chord instead

One thing to bear in mind (and this is where you start to see the complexity going on in music) is that you're already sort of doing that 'different scales over each chord' thing, like duggimon says. You can think of it as playing a G major scale over a C chord, but if you take those same notes and start on the C, you get a C Lydian mode (that F# is a plain F in normal C major). So in that sense, the same scale looks like a different mode over each individual chord in the progression. And if you like, you can play a different mode over them! There's no right or wrong answer here, it's all just music - it's something you need to explore, see what sounds good or creates a certain mood, and see how other musicians manage to make cool things happen with similar tricks

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

baka kaba posted:

I think Kvlt's talking about the idea of playing a mode over a progression, instead of the 'correct' basic major or minor scale. So if you have a G major progression, the related scale is G major, and you'd just use that over the whole progression, all the different chords. But you could also play something else, and G Mixolydian is a popular one to use, because it swaps that slightly cheesy major 7th for a cooler flat 7th

I can barely follow this discussion but I love that despite my lack of theory knowledge, I know exactly what you mean when you say “slightly cheesy major 7th”. It’s funny how music can be described in a non-technical way and people just get what you mean because that’s how they hear it too.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Right? And honestly a lot of music is written by people who don't really know what they're doing, they just know that doing this sounds better than that, or that this thing sounds cool. It honestly makes learning theory kinda awkward because when you learn the basics, you end up with a set of rules that only seem to apply to like, Bach or really early Beatles or something - cheesy major 7ths are definitely in there. It just doesn't seem to work for other stuff you might like - and there are explanations, sometimes with really complicated analysis behind it, but really a lot of the time it was just the writer going "hell this sounds neat, gonna do that". Music theory is really about "why's this sound good then?"

But honestly I don't know much theory, and what I do know is more about ideas to try. It's worth learning a bit just to open some doors and give you some neat tricks, that maybe you wouldn't have found on your own

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

basically like 75% of why I want to learn music theory is to figure out what it is about the songwriting for musicals that makes me want to chew off my own limbs to get away

every time I'm working for the theater company I'm in with off and on (as their live sound person and one of their "is willing to help lift heavy things" people), whenever one of them gets ahold of the PA system to put on music for while we're all working, I can basically tell within like two-three bars if something's a showtune or not, basically because if it's a showtune, it ends up sounding like nails on a chalkboard to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

If someone is critiquing a hip-hop beat I made and suggested “modernizing” the drums a bit, what does that mean? I’m waiting for clarification but figured I would ask here. Is it more on the sample selection or the processing of the drums?