Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Nessa posted:

When I went to my current dentist a year and a half ago, I told them I would need more shots and they were just like, "You have red hair, so that makes sense."
Good lord, I didnt know there was a genetic component to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Spudalicious posted:

Hello fellow not-going-to-the-dentist dude! I recently sucked it up and went after about 11 years of not going for various reasons. I had a slight cold sensitivity in one area of my mouth so decided to go.

My experience was great, dental medicine has come a fair way in the past decade. There are now a bunch of fancy xray things and water picks and whatevers. To make a long story short I had not too much wrong, 4 minor cavities requiring fillings and a bigger one that they said maybe needed a root canal so I just went ahead and did it. One thing that struck me about the dentist now vs then is how they communicated with me throughout the procedure, informing me of what we were doing in my mouth and where we were at in the procedure which was very nice and helped keep me calm and less bored.

One thing my dentist said that you can't really deal with with just yourself is the scale that builds up on your teeth (even with decent brushing/flossing), for that they need to scrape and the longer it sits on your tooth the worse it gets. I didn't think I had any and my cleaning session took forever because there was so much.

Good luck to you, I wish you well in your going/not going to the dentist.

Thanks for the response and info, Spud.

Also, thanks to all of the other posters who responded.

Yes, I will schedule a teeth cleaning this week (and give a report).

Cheers.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

buglord posted:

Good lord, I didnt know there was a genetic component to that.

Gene mutations!

https://backbaybostondentist.com/998-2/

I had platinum blonde hair as a kid, but now it's more of a strawberry blonde. Enough that a dentist will just believe me when I say I need quadruple the dose of novacaine.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Sorry about being absent for so long. I've been going through some tough times in the hygiene program and have neglected to check up on this thread. I had to retake a semester and have been doubling down on studying so I can still graduate this December and finally have a job in January. I'll try to post in this thread a couple times a week or something whenever I have a slow day.

I'll post whenever I have time and remember to, is what I mean.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Rockopolis posted:

What is the raddest filling material? Is it still gold, or is there anything else cool? I brush/floss/rinse/dentist, but if I get a cavity somewhere visible, my next filling has to be blinged out.

As a hygienist I don't actually do fillings but I still know everything about how they are placed and worked with.

Filling uses a variety of materials, the most common is amalgam which is a combination of silver, tin, copper and a surprising amount of mercury (it's safe, trust me). They have a very tin-foil look. There's also composites, which can be any shade of white you'd like. Gold is used for crowns, and is the best material for the job due to how it will gradually mold around the tooth. Most people prefer porcelain fused to metal because it looks more natural even though it is more fragile than gold.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Even if it is safe, why use a metal that is known to be extremely toxic in your mouth?

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

The Skeleton King posted:

Filling uses a variety of materials, the most common is amalgam which is a combination of silver, tin, copper and a surprising amount of mercury (it's safe, trust me).

This is interesting to read. Both my dentist and my sister (who is a hygienist) have told me that no one really does amalgams anymore, except by special request (almost always ornery old people). Is this a region-specific thing?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Even if it is safe, why use a metal that is known to be extremely toxic in your mouth?

The amount of mercury you ingest from these fillings is far less than you're exposed to from eating common seafoods.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
Dentists always say you shouldn't brush your teeth straight after drinking acidic drinks, because the acid softens the enamel and the brushing could erode it.
So say you have been on Hard cider all night, come home smashed, then decide to collapse into bed.
Which is worse, brushing before you go to bed or leaving your teeth unbrushed - or would mouthwash with no brushing be better than either?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Cool, thanks for the info!

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I've only gotten 3 cavities in life. I've also got sealants on my molars which also helps prevent me from getting cavities. The downside is that I build up a shitload of calculus. My hygienist wants me to come back every three months because of this. Only problem is money. My hygienist said a water pik wouldn't work for me.

What can I do about calculus?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Violet_Sky posted:

I love my trusty TI-89

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Violet_Sky posted:

I've only gotten 3 cavities in life. I've also got sealants on my molars which also helps prevent me from getting cavities. The downside is that I build up a shitload of calculus. My hygienist wants me to come back every three months because of this. Only problem is money. My hygienist said a water pik wouldn't work for me.

You can either prevent it from building up in the first place by brushing and flossing better or you go get a cleaning to remove it.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Violet_Sky posted:

I do every 4 months. Even though insurance only covers 2 a year. Never been billed.

Calculus hasn’t a thing to do,with sealant though? Brush your teath better.

Pheel73
Apr 15, 2009
Is there such a thing as brushing or flossing too much?

Recently I opted for some long over due braces both upper and lower. I'm terrified of them staining my teeth any worse so I've been brushing about 4 times a day and flossing only at night. I also use a Waterpik in conjunction with the floss. I use a SoniCare electric brush if that makes a difference.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Had all four wisdom teeth (all but one erupted) out under only local anesthetic and have only taken ibuprofen since. Virtually no pain! hashtag blessed

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Had all four wisdom teeth (all but one erupted) out under only local anesthetic and have only taken ibuprofen since. Virtually no pain! hashtag blessed
Three of mine came out fine but man I definitely needed the arcoxia for the fourth

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The one non-erupted one (lower left) definitely took a lot of work to get out, they had to remove bone & etc. to get it. It just didn’t hurt. Novacaine (or whatever it actually is) doesn’t always work to full effect on me so I was very suspicious when they told me I would only feel pressure, nothing sharp. Heard that bullshit before! But it actually worked, so that was cool. They did like four shots per tooth though.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Would you have any concerns with me using one of those cheap Dentek scalers on my own teeth? I use a Sonicare and most of my cleanings over the last three years (when I started flossing daily instead of 4x a week) are over pretty quickly. Or quicker than they used to be, at any rate.

Hey how long does a cleaning take you on average? 10, 15, 20 minutes?

Something like this on Amazon. I like how it feels. I kinda want to go for three cleanings a year like homeboy up above.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

azzenco posted:

Would you have any concerns with me using one of those cheap Dentek scalers on my own teeth? I use a Sonicare and most of my cleanings over the last three years (when I started flossing daily instead of 4x a week) are over pretty quickly. Or quicker than they used to be, at any rate.

Something like this on Amazon. I like how it feels. I kinda want to go for three cleanings a year like homeboy up above.

1 hour max

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Unload My Head posted:

This is interesting to read. Both my dentist and my sister (who is a hygienist) have told me that no one really does amalgams anymore, except by special request (almost always ornery old people). Is this a region-specific thing?
Really? I have seen amalgams far more often than composites. Then again, most of my patients are only at my school's clinic because they are poor (or middle class and can't afford both healthcare and dental insurance because America) or old. I suppose you might be right, since 60% of the patients we get are old.

Scudworth posted:

The amount of mercury you ingest from these fillings is far less than you're exposed to from eating common seafoods.
Truth.

Ohnonotme posted:

Dentists always say you shouldn't brush your teeth straight after drinking acidic drinks, because the acid softens the enamel and the brushing could erode it.
So say you have been on Hard cider all night, come home smashed, then decide to collapse into bed.
Which is worse, brushing before you go to bed or leaving your teeth unbrushed - or would mouthwash with no brushing be better than either?

This is true. You should wait a few hours after exposing your teeth to any strong acids, such as vomiting, lemons, or high acidity beverages. Drinking some water to reduce the acidity of your mouth, or simply rinsing it with water, should help. Be sure to brush the next day for sure though.

However, I would caution against allowing strong acids into your mouth very often. You'd be surprised with how quickly acid erosion can outpace your tooth's ability to recover. There's no real "optimal rate" of consuming acidic beverages, so you will have to just keep track of what you drink and be careful not to overdo it.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

azzenco posted:

Scaling your own teeth?! As in with a bladed instrument?!:stare:

as for cleanings, it usually only takes about an hour on average if you include all of the other things I have to do first (medical charting, extra oral exam, chart and note updates, etc).

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Unload My Head posted:

It is a money thing. amalgams are still in use. They could charge 2x-2.5x on your insurance/under deductible for the composites.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 14, 2018

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

This is true. You should wait a few hours after exposing your teeth to any strong acids, such as vomiting, lemons, or high acidity beverages. Drinking some water to reduce the acidity of your mouth, or simply rinsing it with water, should help. Be sure to brush the next day for sure though.

However, I would caution against allowing strong acids into your mouth very often. You'd be surprised with how quickly acid erosion can outpace your tooth's ability to recover. There's no real "optimal rate" of consuming acidic beverages, so you will have to just keep track of what you drink and be careful not to overdo it.

When my mom was pregnant with me, she had such severe morning sickness for most of the pregnancy that she was hospitalized multiple times for several weeks with an IV because she simply could not keep any food down.

The sheer amount of vomiting that she went through with 2 pregnancies like that led to all the enamel on her teeth wearing off. Her teeth are super fragile and break easily. She once had a tooth crumble in her mouth after biting into a soft ham and cheese sandwich.

I'm pretty worried about the same thing happening to me when I become pregnant in the future. Should I just take some ant-acids or something?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Sounds rough but not surprising. I don't know if ant-acids would help. I would warn you that vomiting is not the only thing that damages oral health during pregnancy, the changes in hormones can cause all kinds of problems. I would suggest reading up on oral complications from pregnancy to get a clear picture and consult with your primary physician about what you can do, since pregnancy in general is not really my area of study.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

SamDabbers posted:

I love my trusty TI-89

Lol.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yo skeleking is teeth grinding some actual awful thing for my mouth and teeth? Dentist suggests me getting a mouth guard which is like $400 and lol insurance isn’t covering that even partially.

I’m willing to pay up if it’s good in the long run, but I’ve always grinded my teeth and never thought much of it.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I've similarly noticed that when I'm engrossed in work or something, I'll start clenching my jaw or tapping my teeth together in tune with some song I'm listening to or playing in my head. It's not like I'm smashing my teeth together, it's fairly light tapping, but I find that I do it every day as soon as my mind wanders.

Is this a habit I absolutely need to break if I don't wanna be toothless in 50 years?

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

Thanks for taking the time to answer that - I have already given up soda (diet stuff, but still has Phosphoric and citric acid in it), but was just wondering about alcoholic drinks.
A swish with water/mouthwash it is!

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Ohnonotme posted:

Thanks for taking the time to answer that - I have already given up soda (diet stuff, but still has Phosphoric and citric acid in it), but was just wondering about alcoholic drinks.
A swish with water/mouthwash it is!

Not a dentist by any means, but maybe drink some milk? Milk is basic and should help neutralize any acids left in your mouth.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
What do you think of the ultrasonic toothbrushes? I have a Sonicare at home but picked up a 30 dollar fairywill for travel. Do I need to shell out 200 for a travel brush?

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Why can't you just take your Sonicare with you?

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

azzenco posted:

Why can't you just take your Sonicare with you?

My wife and i share, so she uses it as well.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Oh... legit.

Seanzor
Mar 22, 2013

buglord posted:

Yo skeleking is teeth grinding some actual awful thing for my mouth and teeth? Dentist suggests me getting a mouth guard which is like $400 and lol insurance isn’t covering that even partially.

I’m willing to pay up if it’s good in the long run, but I’ve always grinded my teeth and never thought much of it.

Do you have medical insurance? My wife got a mouth guard from an orofacial pain Dr. to address muscular jaw pain and migraines (it totally solved her problems), and it was covered under our medical plan. If your dental won't cover it, try getting one through your medical.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

lord1234 posted:

My wife and i share, so she uses it as well.

Gross!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

would a regular sports mouth guard work?

So are alkaline drinks... good for your enamel?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 17, 2018

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

There are separate tooth brush heads.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
He uses it to brush his teeth, she uses it to clean her rectum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

lord1234 posted:

There are separate tooth brush heads.

What a pain in the rear end

Ohnonotme posted:

He uses it to brush his teeth, she uses it to clean her rectum.

What a pain in the rear end

• Locked thread