Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

apparently i turned 15

guessing it's best not to look back on the "funny" phriday threads that led me to :10bux: here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
a surprisingly large number of goons joined way back in the fall of 2001, something really funny must've happened right around then but i forgot

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
my first reg is from 2005, but i hardly ever used it and eventually lost all of my log-in info and switched email addresses. it's probably for the best, because i really don't want to be associated with 25 year old me anyway.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i'm glad radium destroyed all my posts from over a decade ago

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

President Beep posted:

i really don't want to be associated with 25 year old me anyway.

loving :same:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

loving :same:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

a surprisingly large number of goons joined way back in the fall of 2001, something really funny must've happened right around then but i forgot

lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

wait, really? i wasn't aware that the archives only went so far back

and yeah that's def a good thing

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Silver Alicorn posted:

my 10 year anniversary is coming up :toot:

10 years, lol.

:negative:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i joined SA in 2006, probably after seeing the ansche chung second life penis attack. rereg'd after losing an '08 election toxx to a ron paul dbag in LF

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

is "jesus christ" still on the forums? he was the oldest reg regular poster i saw, either 2000 or 99

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Rex-Goliath posted:

wait, really? i wasn't aware that the archives only went so far back

and yeah that's def a good thing

well kinda it depends on the subforum

you can go back to october 2001 in dnd

fuctifino posted:

HUNT FOR BIN LADEN'S 20 TERROR SHIPS... DEVELOPING...

Thats all it says on Drudgereport.

Just when you think that things cannot get any worse, the thought of weapons of destruction hidden on the many of thousands of freighters that go from country to country (and often to the heart of major big cities) is not a pretty thought.

Seems linked to the event in the English channel at the moment.

Time to go to bed

Edited to say: Why do I get the feeling that something is planned for Xmas? Maybe it's payback time for us bombing them during Ramadam.... *sigh*

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
time is the fire in which we all burn

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I like how ol musky is using very obvious prototype tesla tractors to do a publicity shipment between the battery factory and the tesla plant and is calling it a “production trip”

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

whoa oh bin laden
ramadam

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/shanedphillips/status/971452806505746432

Lyft is teaming with Allscripts, one of the nation's leading electronic health records companies, to integrate its platform into the daily routines of 2,500 hospitals, 45,000 physician practices and 180,000 physicians, reaching an estimated 7 million patients.

A desktop application allows medical facilities to call multiple cars at once, and sends patients ride details via text messages. Healthcare providers cover the cost of the ride unless otherwise specified.

looks like lyft found a nice buck in that racket

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i got another one of those bizarre spam mails that i think are fascinating since they're basically what scammers have figured out appeals to idiots:

quote:

Confirmed: the son of Elon Musk is now the smartest living person alive.

After scoring a record high on the Mensa test this morning, he is now considered smarter then his father and even Bill Gates.

This new brain supplement had all the judges on Shark Tank going crazy

Raise your IQ levels and brain power with this new brain supplement that will change your life

Elon Musk gave his son this while growing up

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i like how 9 years is the new guy here
(it's been 13 years since i first set foot on this dead comedy forum)

pffft, fuckin' '05

(i actually didn't notice his reg date)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i had an account banned back before you could re-reg and then shared with another poster for awhile before getting my own, so this isn't really me

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

https://twitter.com/shanedphillips/status/971452806505746432

Lyft is teaming with Allscripts, one of the nation's leading electronic health records companies, to integrate its platform into the daily routines of 2,500 hospitals, 45,000 physician practices and 180,000 physicians, reaching an estimated 7 million patients.

A desktop application allows medical facilities to call multiple cars at once, and sends patients ride details via text messages. Healthcare providers cover the cost of the ride unless otherwise specified.

looks like lyft found a nice buck in that racket

ah that truly innovative business model: skimming medicare money

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

lancemantis posted:

ah that truly innovative business model: skimming medicare money

looks like someone's disrupted nana's weekly pill organizer.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

so what was the post

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

my bitter bi rival posted:

so what was the post

apparently you get one when you post fml now

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
I once jokingly said in a FB Messenger convo that I didn't feel like going out because I felt depressed about the imminent heat death of the universe. 15-30 minutes later I got loads of suicide and depression prevention hotline ads in my instagram feed.
so yeah great job Facebook

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

a truly dystopian demise: death by options.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

ate all the Oreos posted:

i got another one of those bizarre spam mails that i think are fascinating since they're basically what scammers have figured out appeals to idiots:

... Holy poo poo you could train an adversarial neural network to send spam with CTR and conversion rate as a loss function

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Media Bloodbath posted:

I once jokingly said in a FB Messenger convo that I didn't feel like going out because I felt depressed about the imminent heat death of the universe. 15-30 minutes later I got loads of suicide and depression prevention hotline ads in my instagram feed.

I feel like this would make me feel far worse

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Media Bloodbath posted:

this is them honestly trying to help people, like they probably think they're doing a great job at it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

this is them honestly trying to help people, like they probably think they're doing a great job at it

performance metric: person posts on fb messenger again

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

atomicthumbs posted:

... Holy poo poo you could train an adversarial neural network to send spam with CTR and conversion rate as a loss function

adversarial text gen is research poo poo
like, pay a team of phd's 300k research poo poo

adversarial face gen is just alright, if you're not willing to do research poo poo

if you were able to pay phd's 300k, you would prolly do something else

spammers, as usual, are doing markov chains

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

my bitter bi rival posted:

so what was the post

"i'm married to [h.p. hovercraft]"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

adversarial text gen is research poo poo
like, pay a team of phd's 300k research poo poo

adversarial face gen is just alright, if you're not willing to do research poo poo

if you were able to pay phd's 300k, you would prolly do something else

spammers, as usual, are doing markov chains

I think you mean team of postdocs if that entire team budget is $300k

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

dunno, the month of May seemed fairly quiet autumn month to me

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

lancemantis posted:

yeah, sorry. 300k each

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

lancemantis posted:

what do you need 20 postdocs for

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

A lightbulb needs to be changed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

i read a microsoft research paper a while back that proved that spam emails are most effective when their claims are the most absurd

they had a bunch of game theory and mathematical proofs but the high-level summary is: the spammer can only follow up on so many leads, and a person who figures out the scam at some point prior to putting their credit card in the mail means all the time spent working on them was wasted. so it's in the scammer's interest to make the stories as insane as possible, as a sort of filter -- only the dumbest and most gullible people will respond, and those are the ones who are most likely to go all the way.

unexpected result but also makes perfect sense