Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Looking at the Wyvernsnipe-enabled HBGs (gently caress not having access to Wyvernsnipe, I don't care how good the other half of the guns are), it seems to me like the Diablos gun is the obvious all-around choice. Anyone have any advice/experience to the contrary before I go and break my millionth goddamn Diablos face?

(why are so many good weapons made out of the only monster I don't like :smith: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Waroduce posted:

Should i keep running the nergi axe? Everyone's talking about the new elemental hotness but I am not kitted for it, and I don't feel like putting together a whole separate set of like affinity armor to counter act the diablos blades -affinity.

Kit for how you want to play. If you decked out in full crit gear you might clear a 10 minute fight in 9 minutes. But if you spend 3 hours farming that gear when you'd rather be doing something else ...

But if you WANT that crit gear, or are just out of stuff to do and are looking for goals, a crit set is a fine thing to work toward.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Is Vaal's beam pure physical?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I just tried charge blade for the first time. After looking back and forth between the game and the weapon guide on my phone while muttering 'what the gently caress' at the controls, I eventually got it together and pulled off consistent SAEDs. Now I have never shot up heroin in my life but I imagine it feels very similar to landing a SAED right on the monster's nose.

Brine
Aug 3, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

Is Vaal's beam pure physical?

Yes. It’s raw damage, along with the wind attacks from Kushala.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I just tried charge blade for the first time. After looking back and forth between the game and the weapon guide on my phone while muttering 'what the gently caress' at the controls, I eventually got it together and pulled off consistent SAEDs. Now I have never shot up heroin in my life but I imagine it feels very similar to landing a SAED right on the monster's nose.

The erection I get when I hit a true charge greatsword hit to the head of a monster is, along with the Great Wall of China, the only man-made thing visible from space.

Brine fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 7, 2018

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Brine posted:

Yes. It’s raw damage, along with the wind attacks from Kushala.

The erection I get when I hit a true charge greatsword hit to the head of a monster is, along with the Great Wall of China, the only man-made thing visible from space.

Not visible from space.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

RoboJoe posted:

My Wiggler support build is this:

My gems are:
1x Friendship Jewel 1 - to max out Wide-Range
1x Satiated Jewel 1 - I always like Free Meal especially on a consumable spamming build like this.
3x Gobbler Jewel 1 - for Speed Eating.

I have speed eating so I can use mega potions quickly to heal up people if I’m running low on potion mushrooms, but that’s not essential at all, you can get by on just mushrooms and putting something else in those slots.

I have paralysis attack to help paralyse monsters which happens fairly frequently, but if you’re not interested in the paralysis you can change the Vespoid Vambraces and Girros Greaves for something else, which I may do myself at some point.

I’m sure someone has a more optimal build but this works for me :shobon:

E: I forgot to mention, the Mega potions are because the big heal mushrooms (Mandragora) don’t work with wide-range, and you might run low on standard potion mushrooms during a fight.

Thanks, I'll play around with it!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hr43-muGwg

I love this guy's work. :allears:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think he can use it when he’s not full-black-spikey, but it’s when he’ll use it the vast majority of the time. If your weapon is out and he roars, and his spikes are fairly grown, hold R1 during the roar animation, and the analog stick towards the closest “edge” of Nerg. You’ll start sheathing and running as soon as possible, and if you go towards the edge then when he dives you’ll have the most clearance. You want to panic dive as he comes down, don’t be afraid to hit it a little early.

Alright, I'll give it some more shots. I'm sure I could use more defense as well, I've gone through hr with roughly 260 so far, too busy playing dress up and screwing around with skills. Time to get serious!

How in the hell did I manage to solo Nerd the first time christ.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah this guy is awesome is this cover is amazing

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Been playing MH4U to sate my lust for murder while at work, and I really wish MHW had a better variety of monsters. Not necessarily “more” of them, just diversify a bit outside of dinosaurs and dragons. I had my first Nerscylla fight in 4U today and loved it! A big rear end spider and you’re running around in an area of multilevel spider webs. Or the Seltas Queen. Love the more insect like monsters and they’d look amazing with the gen 5 graphics.

Edit: Are Generations and XX considered part of the 4th Gen or are they technically 5th gen and MHW is actually 6th gen?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I made the following set to gently caress around with. Please poo poo on it and tell me why it’s bad.

Jagras chopper III [attack gem, NEB gem]
Bazel helm B [earplug gem, defense gem]
Damascus chest B [sheath gem, medicine gem, satiated gem]
Diablos Nero gloves B [footing gem, crisis gem]
Bazel coil B [footing gem]
Death stench feet B [steadfast gem, steadfast gem]
Attack charm III

Earplugs 5
Attack 4
Focus 3
Tremor resist 2
Stun resist 2
Handicraft 2
Def boost 1
Recovery up 1
Quick sheathe 1
Free meal
Resuscitate
NEB

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

chaosapiant posted:

Been playing MH4U to sate my lust for murder while at work, and I really wish MHW had a better variety of monsters. Not necessarily “more” of them, just diversify a bit outside of dinosaurs and dragons. I had my first Nerscylla fight in 4U today and loved it! A big rear end spider and you’re running around in an area of multilevel spider webs. Or the Seltas Queen. Love the more insect like monsters and they’d look amazing with the gen 5 graphics.

Edit: Are Generations and XX considered part of the 4th Gen or are they technically 5th gen and MHW is actually 6th gen?

MHW is vanilla 5th gen, hence the lack of monsters and everyone calling you a fiver. ;)

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Emron posted:

I made the following set to gently caress around with. Please poo poo on it and tell me why it’s bad.

Attack charm III

Earplugs 5
Attack 4
Focus 3
Tremor resist 2
Stun resist 2
Handicraft 2
Def boost 1
Recovery up 1
Quick sheathe 1
Free meal
Resuscitate
NEB

Um because you should be shoulder charging through all roars like me :smug:

*Proceeds to gently caress up shouldering through every roar*
*Wishes I just put in earplugs*

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Um because you should be shoulder charging through all roars like me :smug:

*Proceeds to gently caress up shouldering through every roar*
*Wishes I just put in earplugs*

Earplugs are the best skill in Monster Hunter, period.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Emron posted:

Attack charm III

Earplugs 5
Attack 4
Focus 3
Tremor resist 2
Stun resist 2
Handicraft 2
Def boost 1
Recovery up 1
Quick sheathe 1
Free meal
Resuscitate
NEB

Find a way to get that Stun Res 2 to Stun Res 3. Not being able to get stunned ever is so much more useful than your stuns lasting 40% as long.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Had to kill Nerg 3 more times to finish off the 8* limited bounty. 3 fails in a row due to other people carting, often the poor host, so I switched from bow to the top metal horn that does Attack, Defense L and uh, wind resistance to try to keep them alive. This didn’t work for the next one so I finally tried out full wide range + horn in desperation.

Despite their best efforts, being buffed to insane levels and me knocking back mega potions when they got low made for three smooth sailing kills. Last one got me a gem!

Def XL + armorskin + adamant seed + hardskin powder forcefully applied to every pubbie on the quest makes it very hard for Nerg to one shot them all. And the same again for attack speeds everything up quite nicely.

When I play Souls games I usually wear my ability to solo the game as a badge of pride but in MHW I think my solo playthrough was on easy mode.

The true Monster Hunter experience seems to start when you're being impeded my teammates. I have so much to learn.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

BrightWing posted:

So if even one of his spiky spots aren't full black then he won't dive? Also, can you break black spikes or do you have to wait for him to do that?

Head and wing spikes are the trigger.

You can still break the black spikes, but it's hard because they will bounce anything that doesn't have mind's eye.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

qbert posted:

Find a way to get that Stun Res 2 to Stun Res 3. Not being able to get stunned ever is so much more useful than your stuns lasting 40% as long.

I plan to sub out the def gem for one more stun resist one once I get it. Totally agree. I’d like to get the tremor resist to max too for a No More Bullshit build, but I don’t think I have the slots for it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Emron posted:

I plan to sub out the def gem for one more stun resist one once I get it. Totally agree. I’d like to get the tremor resist to max too for a No More Bullshit build, but I don’t think I have the slots for it.

Tremor resist is not as relevant as often as the others. I'd personally just replace that with something like Health Boost 3. I think a lot of people don't realize that Health 3 allows you to hit 200hp, and is the ONLY way you can hit 200 hp in the game, which is a huge difference from 150 and can single-handedly prevent getting one-shotted by tempered Elders in the postgame.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

qbert posted:

Tremor resist is not as relevant as often as the others. I'd personally just replace that with something like Health Boost 3. I think a lot of people don't realize that Health 3 allows you to hit 200hp, and is the ONLY way you can hit 200 hp in the game, which is a huge difference from 150 and can single-handedly prevent getting one-shotted by tempered Elders in the postgame.

What about handicraft? I get annoyed at the small sharpness on the Jagras hacker, especially compared to the Nerg GS.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Emron posted:

What about handicraft? I get annoyed at the small sharpness on the Jagras hacker, especially compared to the Nerg GS.

Handicraft is a fine skill but works best when paired with a weapon that actually pushes the sharpness into a higher color tier. If all you cared about was extending the gauge while staying in the same color, I believe a Protective Polish deco would work better, but I know they're much rarer to come by.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

TaurusOxford posted:

Earplugs are the best skill in Monster Hunter, period.

Evade window 5. Be the roll to win Dark souls meme

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I know how frustrating it is to get roar'ed out of a True Charge or other big nasty combo, but that's just a fleeting moment compared to straight up being able to kill the monster faster. Even if I screw up the roll (or, for GS, shoulder tackle) through the roar, I make up for it by being able to stagger the monster more often. As far as Stun Resist goes, I can survive your average hit from a TED while stunned so the only time I'd consider getting stun resist is if I'm fighting two sanics in an arena. And *that* is an Arena quest with pre-set builds.

If HGE were 3 points instead of 5 I'd be more tempted but as it is it's a costly crutch. Same if Stun Resist were a 1 point skill rather than 3.

At least 60% of my skill points are dedicated towards DPS in any given build, and that's on the low end because tank hbg requires Guard 3 to function well. I go much heavier with damage/crit on GS and Bow, and only occasionally digress to pick up a utility skill. I'm considering an Evade build for Swaxe and that's about it.

My one exception is Marathoner, which I get from my Kirin Horn Beta wig. Which I wear for fashion purposes on all of my sets, no exception.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I think DPS builds are fine if you're playing solo and are confident in yourself not to get carted, but from my experience playing with pubs, I would much rather have defensively-minded teammates who I don't have to worry about carting, even if it takes us an extra 1-2 minutes to kill the thing.

On a similar note, never play multi on an investigation that's 1-Faint.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i tried to help someone's SOS with the tempered kirin quest. Hes a GS user who spent the whole time running away and doing 0 damage body hits. I sleep kirin and he runs up 5s later and draw attacks him awake. Not even a charged attack. I left because im not going to carry that kind of dead weight. I hope he never beats tempered kirin and ruins my other hunts.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
If I SOS my quests and someone draw attacks a sleeping monster I immediately kick them. No excuse for that at high HR.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

qbert posted:

I think DPS builds are fine if you're playing solo and are confident in yourself not to get carted, but from my experience playing with pubs, I would much rather have defensively-minded teammates who I don't have to worry about carting, even if it takes us an extra 1-2 minutes to kill the thing.

On a similar note, never play multi on an investigation that's 1-Faint.

Or do, if you have a friend you can rely on to be at least as good as you are. Assuming you're good enough to be able to clear the 1-cart investigation on your own.

I feel like an Earplugs + Stun Res build isn't really going to help randos die less often, and even with tempered stuff I don't see randos dying often enough that it's a constant source of worry for me. Basically the only time I see this happening is when the host is sub-HR30, and it's usually the host dying which, I feel, is forgivable even if it means some of my time got wasted. If anything, that just means they actually needed the help and were using the SOS for its intended purpose.

And if you're really, really worried about dying, you could swap to tank hbg and not have to worry about anything. The Jagras gun is absurdly easy to build and wrecks face with an elementless gem, and you just need a single maxed Guard charm to cover your defensive needs. Everything else can be dedicated to pure damage.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Rathian Spike + feels way too rare for how many they want of them. I think to upgrade just one Rathian weapon it takes like 15 of them and they drop for me once every 5-8~ Rathian hunts breaking everything to maximize chances.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Rathian Spike + feels way too rare for how many they want of them. I think to upgrade just one Rathian weapon it takes like 15 of them and they drop for me once every 5-8~ Rathian hunts breaking everything to maximize chances.

You do harvest tails, right? Cutting off Rathian tails is the single best source of spikes.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

You do harvest tails, right? Cutting off Rathian tails is the single best source of spikes.

I do, it still only very rarely gives me spikes.

Got a shitload of plates though. I think RNGesus just doesn't like me lately.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've accidentally woken up suddenly-sleeping monsters before, it's easy to do if there's no voice comms and you're trying to keep up gauges or capitalize on your weapon's Go Time.

The real test of competence is if the pubbies don't let you sleep bomb the TED in the nest.

Fauxtool posted:

i tried to help someone's SOS with the tempered kirin quest. Hes a GS user who spent the whole time running away and doing 0 damage body hits. I sleep kirin and he runs up 5s later and draw attacks him awake. Not even a charged attack. I left because im not going to carry that kind of dead weight. I hope he never beats tempered kirin and ruins my other hunts.

Or this. You have my condolences.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Xarbala posted:

I feel like an Earplugs + Stun Res build isn't really going to help randos die less often

Earplugs I agree with you about, but I've seen countless deaths due to the player being in stunned state, even at HR 50+ that I feel comfortable recommending it.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Black spiral horns off of black diablos are the most annoying monster drop I've encountered so far. They have a chance to drop both low rank and high rank diablos horns instead which is super loving annoying. Eventually I just ended up hunting them just long enough to break the horns and leaving the quest to see if the right horns drop after like 7 or 8 hunts because I kept getting the crappy horns.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

qbert posted:

Stop getting hit.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Black spiral horns off of black diablos are the most annoying monster drop I've encountered so far. They have a chance to drop both low rank and high rank diablos horns instead which is super loving annoying. Eventually I just ended up hunting them just long enough to break the horns and leaving the quest to see if the right horns drop after like 7 or 8 hunts because I kept getting the crappy horns.

In a similar vein, I swear Majestic Horns are the most-required item in the game and I find myself having to farm them all the time. I made an ice LBG though that absolutely blasts horns and it feels very good

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Night Blade posted:

Stop getting hit.

I'm not, I don't run Stun Res 3. I don't mind recommending it to people who are still getting hit and slowly improving their skills, however.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Flytrap posted:

I've got Wyvern Gems and Rathian Rubies for days but I'm definitely feeling the pain of hunting for spikes to get my Royal Burst GL. I was blowing all my vouchers on investigations before I realized they aren't in the reward table.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

You are cutting the tail and breaking the back each time right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've got more Rathian Spike +'s than I know what to do with. Probably from my stint of Bow DPing everything for a while. Dragon Piercer can cut tails and usually breaks Rath backs before the tail actually pops off.