Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Pendent posted:

It hadn't really hit me how large the Astraeus is until I saw those pictures. It looks absolutely gorgeous on the table with the rest of your army and I'm very glad to hear it did fairly well for you.

Yeah that thing is hilariously big, seeing it in the promo pictures didn't do it justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Pendent posted:

It hadn't really hit me how large the Astraeus is until I saw those pictures

same... :catstare:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Yeah that thing is hilariously big, seeing it in the promo pictures didn't do it justice.

The promo pictures are baaaaad. FW should hire me.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I have 2 boxes each of (non-sniper) scouts and devastators due today for my DA. Obviously I'm gonna abuse the hell out of Grim Resolve & Weapons from the Dark Age with 4 plasma cannons, but what should I arm the rest of them with?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
As someone who never played Tau before 8th, I'm pretty happy with the previews and leaks so far. Bit sad at the increased cost of gun drones having just bought twenty, but that doesn't seem an unfair increase given how good they are.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Booley how long did it take you to paint that?

I'm leaning towards embracing a fully terrible idea and possibly fielding this for 3000 points. I'm less worried about the detachments and instead figured I would focus on the composition. Anything in italics already has paint on it and therefore must be included.

pre:
Blood Angels - 3000 Points
HQ
Captain in Gravis Armour
Primaris Librarian
Primaris Lieutenant (Power Sword)

Troops
5x Intercessors (Grenade Launcher, Power Sword)
5x Scouts (Combat Knives)

Elite
3x Aggressors (Boltstorm Guantlets)
3x Aggressors (Boltstorm Gauntlets)
Primaris Ancient

Fast Attack
3x Inceptor (Plasma Exterminators)
3x Inceptor (Assault Bolters)

Heavy Support
5x Hellblasters (Plasma Incinerators)

Dedicated Transport
Repulsor (Las-talon, Onslaught Gatling Cannon, 2x Krakstorm Grenade Launchers, 5x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers)
Repulsor (Las-talon, Onslaught Gatling Cannon, 2x Krakstorm Grenade Launchers, 5x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers)

Lord of War
Astraeus Super-Heavy Tank (Twin Lascannon, 2x Ironhail Heavy Stubbers, 2x Las-Ripper)
Can someone do me a favor and verify if Scout Sergeants can take a combat knife and a chainsword? That would give them two extra attacks, right?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

xtothez posted:

I have 2 boxes each of (non-sniper) scouts and devastators due today for my DA. Obviously I'm gonna abuse the hell out of Grim Resolve & Weapons from the Dark Age with 4 plasma cannons, but what should I arm the rest of them with?

Bolters? To be honest I look at Scouts as really cheap roadblocks. That's why for my BA force I'm looking at silly things like giving them all combat knives and seeing if I can have the Sergeant go akimbo.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm leaning towards embracing a fully terrible idea and possibly fielding this for 3000 points. I'm less worried about the detachments and instead figured I would focus on the composition. Anything in italics already has paint on it and therefore must be included.

pre:
Blood Angels - 3000 Points
HQ
Captain in Gravis Armour
Primaris Librarian

Troops

Elite
Primaris Ancient

Fast Attack

Heavy Support

Dedicated Transport

Lord of War
Astraeus Super-Heavy Tank (Twin Lascannon, 2x Ironhail Heavy Stubbers, 2x Las-Ripper)
Can someone do me a favor and verify if Scout Sergeants can take a combat knife and a chainsword? That would give them two extra attacks, right?

I'm imagining what it would be like to field a Shadowsword against this list and, uh, :black101:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It took me about a week? A day or two to build, a day of priming and painting the repulsor plates (which are just spray metal, wash, drybrush. If I'm building repulsors I'd do them all at the same time), 4 days to go from primer to finished on everything else.

I like that list, though I think I'd try to take 2 more 5-man intercessor squads and 1 more HQ of some sort, particularly one with a jump pack if you're willing to go away from pure primaris, otherwise maybe a librarian dread, sanguinary priest, or techmarine. That would get you 9 total CP and the 4 intercessor squads will do a good job of screening your firebase. I'm worried that only the 2 squads + the scout speedbumps are too thin and will get wiped quickly.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

It took me about a week? A day or two to build, a day of priming and painting the repulsor plates (which are just spray metal, wash, drybrush. If I'm building repulsors I'd do them all at the same time), 4 days to go from primer to finished on everything else.

I like that list, though I think I'd try to take 2 more 5-man intercessor squads and 1 more HQ of some sort, particularly one with a jump pack if you're willing to go away from pure primaris, otherwise maybe a librarian dread, sanguinary priest, or techmarine. That would get you 9 total CP and the 4 intercessor squads will do a good job of screening your firebase. I'm worried that only the 2 squads + the scout speedbumps are too thin and will get wiped quickly.

Yeah, I'd definitely feel far too light on bodies with that list at 3k points. I'd probably consider dropping one of the Repulsors and use those points to buy a buttload of Incercessors to hold the line and make more use of what I assume will be a Standard of Sacrifice on the Ancient.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Received my replacement Imperial Fists Chapter Repulsor Doors from Forge World. They sent the wrong set again. Argh.

I think they must have them flipped in their system compared to what is shown on the website. Maybe?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

I'm imagining what it would be like to field a Shadowsword against this list and, uh, :black101:

Yeah the Shadowsword would murder stuff pretty quickly. On the other hand the Shadowsword murders stuff pretty quickly in general and Primaris aren't exactly known for surviving... anything.

Booley posted:

The only non-Primaris I would want to field would be scouts (as proto-Primaris). The thing I'm curious about is what about that force would be a firebase? My thought was largely to put the Aggressors and characters into the Repulsors and have them move forward. I'm sure at 3000 points nothing would survive but to be honest it's Primaris so I'm not expecting much.

The general thought is to focus on the "core" of 1500 points which is below, and then add to it as appropriate:

pre:
Blood Angels - 1500 Points
HQ
Captain in Gravis Armour
Primaris Librarian

Troops

Elite

Fast Attack

Heavy Support
For the other 1500 points I've been thinking Knights, Primaris Vehicles, Baneblade and Shadowswords, etc. I figure I have plenty of time to figure that out while I focus on the 1500 points but I'm curious as to what people recommend. I already have a Baneblade that I might repaint. If I do IG stuff I'll go mostly bone for it, for the Knights it would be purple with platinum edging, and then obvious more Primaris would get the existing color scheme.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The 3000 points is also for the Apocalypse game. The biggest army I have to field on my own is 2500, so maybe I should focus on that instead.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm planning on building some Scouts for my Salamanders army. Mainly as a way to get a Battalion. Do I keep them cheap with bolters or give them fun stuff like snipers and Heavy Bolters?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Floppychop posted:

I'm planning on building some Scouts for my Salamanders army. Mainly as a way to get a Battalion. Do I keep them cheap with bolters or give them fun stuff like snipers and Heavy Bolters?

Sniper rifles are only 4 PPM higher than bolters.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Floppychop posted:

Do what's fun. Heavy Bolters are particularly fun since you can use that mortal wound stratagem. The main reason I'm looking at combat knives for Blood Angels is because they look like a lot of fun in CC.

Does anyone have a copy of the rules handy and can tell me if Scout Sergeants can take a combat knife and chainsword?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Sounds legal to me.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do what's fun. Heavy Bolters are particularly fun since you can use that mortal wound stratagem. The main reason I'm looking at combat knives for Blood Angels is because they look like a lot of fun in CC.

Does anyone have a copy of the rules handy and can tell me if Scout Sergeants can take a combat knife and chainsword?

"The Scout Sergeant may replace his bolt pistol and boltgun with items from the Sergeant Equipment list."
"Any model may replace his boltgun with a sniper rifle, an Astartes shotgun or a combat knife."

Chainsword is on the Sergeant equipment list. Looks like you can replace your boltgun with a combat knife as per bullet point two,and your bolt pistol with a chainsword as per bullet point one?

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 7, 2018

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

For the other 1500 points I've been thinking Knights, Primaris Vehicles, Baneblade and Shadowswords, etc. I figure I have plenty of time to figure that out while I focus on the 1500 points but I'm curious as to what people recommend. I already have a Baneblade that I might repaint. If I do IG stuff I'll go mostly bone for it, for the Knights it would be purple with platinum edging, and then obvious more Primaris would get the existing color scheme.

Do you have other Guard stuff or just the superheavy? I'm probably going to start playing a mix of Blood Angels and Guard myself soon and it looks like it could be a ton of fun. You can really focus on the fun, elite stuff with your Space Marines because you have a ton of bodies and fire support from the Guard.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Stephenls posted:

"The Scout Sergeant may replace his bolt pistol and boltgun with items from the Sergeant Equipment list."
"Any model may replace his boltgun with a sniper rifle, an Astartes shotgun or a combat knife."

Chainsword is on the Sergeant equipment list. Looks like you can replace your boltgun with a combat knife as per bullet point two,and your bolt pistol with a chainsword as per bullet point one?

sniper rifle and thunder hammer :madmax:

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 7, 2018

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The only non-Primaris I would want to field would be scouts (as proto-Primaris). The thing I'm curious about is what about that force would be a firebase? My thought was largely to put the Aggressors and characters into the Repulsors and have them move forward. I'm sure at 3000 points nothing would survive but to be honest it's Primaris so I'm not expecting much.

Your aggressors, hellblasters, repulsors and astraeus would form a solid firebase. I think it's a crime to put 750 points into a tank and then run your captain and lieutenant away from it. You can still be mobile if you need to since the captain and lieutenant don't have any meaningful shooting, so advancing with them or the aggressors isn't a problem. Typically you'd want to try to use that force + the intercessors to push up and grab 2-3 objectives, and then use your inceptors (with upon wings of fire) and scouts to grab other objectives. Since you aren't running deepstrike assault, death company or a murder commander you should have lots of CP available for moving units around and rerolls.

I think a techmarine would be a really solid choice, even though he's not technically a primaris marine (you can convert him to look like one no problem). He's 61 points, repairs D3 lost wounds, and each wound on the astraeus is 30 points. So on average if the astraeus isn't killed he'll make his points back the first time it gets damaged.

I just made this list, and while I don't think it would be top-table competitive it would be an interesting and fun list to play. 4 HQ and 6 troops gets you double detachment for a total of 9 CP, you've got 2 inceptor squads to go snag objectives and kill elites, the repulsors and astraeus should be able to do a solid job of killing tanks and you've got lots of horde clearing.

pre:
++ Unbound Army (Faction) (Imperium - FW Adeptus Astartes) [36 PL, 738pts] ++

+ Lord of War +

Astraeus Super-heavy Tank [36 PL, 738pts]: Ironhail heavy stubber, Storm bolter, Twin lascannon, Twin macro-accelerator cannon
. Two las-rippers: 2x Las-ripper

++ Unbound Army (Faction) (Imperium - Blood Angels) [122 PL, 2262pts] ++

+ Dedicated Transport +

Repulsor [16 PL, 350pts]: Fragstorm grenade launcher, Ironhail heavy stubber, 2x Krakstorm grenade launcher, Las-talon, Onslaught gatling cannon, Twin lascannon
. Two fragstorm grenade launchers: 2x Fragstorm grenade launcher

Repulsor [16 PL, 350pts]: Fragstorm grenade launcher, Ironhail heavy stubber, 2x Krakstorm grenade launcher, Las-talon, Onslaught gatling cannon, Twin lascannon

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 165pts]: 4x Hellblaster, Plasma incinerator
. Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

+ HQ +

Primaris Captain [6 PL, 95pts]
. Bolt rifle and bolt pistol with optional power sword: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle, Power sword

Primaris Librarian [7 PL, 101pts]: 3. Soulwarden, Force sword, The Veritas Vitae, Warlord

Primaris Lieutenants [5 PL, 74pts]
. Primaris Lieutenant: Power sword

Techmarine [4 PL, 61pts]: Boltgun, Power sword, Servo-arm

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [6 PL, 111pts]
. 2x Aggressor
. . 2x Auto boltstorm gauntlets and fragstorm grenade launcher: 2x Auto boltstorm gauntlets, 2x Fragstorm grenade launcher
. Aggressor Sergeant
. . Auto boltstorm gauntlets and fragstorm grenade launcher: Auto boltstorm gauntlets, Fragstorm grenade launcher

Aggressor Squad [6 PL, 111pts]
. 2x Aggressor
. . 2x Auto boltstorm gauntlets and fragstorm grenade launcher: 2x Auto boltstorm gauntlets, 2x Fragstorm grenade launcher
. Aggressor Sergeant
. . Auto boltstorm gauntlets and fragstorm grenade launcher: Auto boltstorm gauntlets, Fragstorm grenade launcher

+ Fast Attack +

Inceptor Squad [10 PL, 177pts]: 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant
. Two plasma exterminators: 2x Plasma exterminator

Inceptor Squad [10 PL, 177pts]: 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant
. Two plasma exterminators: 2x Plasma exterminator

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 95pts]: Auxiliary grenade launcher, Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor
. Intercessor Sergeant: Power sword

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 95pts]: Auxiliary grenade launcher, Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor

Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts]
. Scout: Combat knife
. Scout Sergeant: Chainsword, Combat knife

Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts]
. Scout Sergeant: Chainsword, Combat knife

++ Total: [158 PL, 3000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

Do you have other Guard stuff or just the superheavy? I'm probably going to start playing a mix of Blood Angels and Guard myself soon and it looks like it could be a ton of fun. You can really focus on the fun, elite stuff with your Space Marines because you have a ton of bodies and fire support from the Guard.

I have a box of Tempestus Scions and will likely be buying more since their heads work really well for Scouts. I was goofing around with the idea of fielding Stormtroopers as cheap troops, plus a Stormtrooper Shadowsword looks vaguely terrifying when shooting at Titans. Painting a large guard force scares me so if I did something it would probably be a Battalion of Scions, a Baneblade, and possibly a Shadowsword.

Incidentally if anyone has some spare Tempestus Scion helmets I'd love to buy them.

Stephenls posted:

Awesome, thanks. I was thinking of a way to differentiate the Sergeant from the rest of the guys using weapons (I gave everyone a chainsword since I had them) and that seems like a good way to do it.

Booley posted:

Your aggressors, hellblasters, repulsors and astraeus would form a solid firebase. I think it's a crime to put 750 points into a tank and then run your captain and lieutenant away from it. You can still be mobile if you need to since the captain and lieutenant don't have any meaningful shooting, so advancing with them or the aggressors isn't a problem. Typically you'd want to try to use that force + the intercessors to push up and grab 2-3 objectives, and then use your inceptors (with upon wings of fire) and scouts to grab other objectives. Since you aren't running deepstrike assault, death company or a murder commander you should have lots of CP available for moving units around and rerolls.

I think a techmarine would be a really solid choice, even though he's not technically a primaris marine (you can convert him to look like one no problem). He's 61 points, repairs D3 lost wounds, and each wound on the astraeus is 30 points. So on average if the astraeus isn't killed he'll make his points back the first time it gets damaged.

I just made this list, and while I don't think it would be top-table competitive it would be an interesting and fun list to play. 4 HQ and 6 troops gets you double detachment for a total of 9 CP, you've got 2 inceptor squads to go snag objectives and kill elites, the repulsors and astraeus should be able to do a solid job of killing tanks and you've got lots of horde clearing.

I was thinking of it the other way around and using the Repulsors to move the Aggressors, Captain, Lieutenant, and Ancient forward to take advantage of the +1 wound. I agree that using the Captain and Lieutenant on the Astraeus makes a lot of sense (and I also like the Techmarine idea).

Maybe by this summer GW will give me more Primaris options. I'd love a Primaris Inceptor Captain.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I was thinking of it the other way around and using the Repulsors to move the Aggressors, Captain, Lieutenant, and Ancient forward to take advantage of the +1 wound. I agree that using the Captain and Lieutenant on the Astraeus makes a lot of sense (and I also like the Techmarine idea).

Maybe by this summer GW will give me more Primaris options. I'd love a Primaris Inceptor Captain.

Aggressors are not really an assault unit. A squad of 3 is 7 attacks hitting on 4s. You can punch a tank reasonably well, but you're not going to fight any real assault units. You really want to make them come to you and deal with a ridiculous number of bullets.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Just chiming in, Techmarines are fun and useful, and not that pricey. Every game I use them in they've effectively doubled the wounds on my heavy hitters. I really hope there's a Primaris Techmarine eventually.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

Aggressors are not really an assault unit. A squad of 3 is 7 attacks hitting on 4s. You can punch a tank reasonably well, but you're not going to fight any real assault units. You really want to make them come to you and deal with a ridiculous number of bullets.

Fair point.

So just looking at things if I took that 1500 point core I could add a Baneblade w/ four Lascannon/HB Sponsons, three Tempestus squads with 2 Hot Shot Volley Guns, a Tempestus Command squad with 4 meltaguns, a Tempestor Prime, and a Psyker for 1000 points. Good idea?

Can Militarum Tempestus regiments not take Baneblades? Looks like they can't. Cool, I might just skip the Tempestus regiment entirely and go Imperial Soup. Assassins for everyone!

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 7, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SRM posted:

Just chiming in, Techmarines are fun and useful, and not that pricey. Every game I use them in they've effectively doubled the wounds on my heavy hitters. I really hope there's a Primaris Techmarine eventually.

Yeah I freely admit that I haven't spent much time looking at them because my builds seem to be infantry heavy.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Fair point.

So just looking at things if I took that 1500 point core I could add a Baneblade w/ four Lascannon/HB Sponsons, three Tempestus squads with 2 Hot Shot Volley Guns, a Tempestus Command squad with 4 meltaguns, a Tempestor Prime, and a Psyker for 1000 points. Good idea?

Can Militarum Tempestus regiments not take Baneblades?

You can't pick scions as the regiment for anything with <regiment>, so no.

I've got some Scion heads. Remind me the next time we meet up to play.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

There has to be at some point. Tech-Marines are one of the coolest looking SM characters, and will hopefully get more awesome being bigger.

But on the flip side, they did really mess up the Chaplain, so who knows.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Felime posted:

You can't pick scions as the regiment for anything with <regiment>, so no.

I've got some Scion heads. Remind me the next time we meet up to play.

Awesome. My goal is to get this Hellblaster squad done by Friday. If I can get the Inceptors assembled I could field my 1500 point core.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

What are good Primaris choices for a chapter using BA rules?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pyrolocutus posted:

What are good Primaris choices for a chapter using BA rules?

Inceptors have by far the best synergy. Between The Red Thirst and Upon Wings of Fire they turn into this terrifyingly mobile unit with great shooting, decent durability and they're even ok in assault if you pick your targets properly.

Intercessors and Reivers are both great as well. Having your basic troop unit wounding T3 on 2's in assault will never not be funny and Reivers make great harassers. I'm particuarly fond of MSU with carbines but there's arguments for the knives as well, especially in larger squads.

Agressors are so good at shooting they're hardly a bad choice but there's not any particular synergy since they don't have fly so you really want to keep them out of assault.

Everything else is basically fine but there's not a particular reason to take them as Blood Angels instead of a chapter who's tactic is more focused on shooting (Dark Angels for Hellblasters etc)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

Inceptors have by far the best synergy. Between The Red Thirst and Upon Wings of Fire they turn into this terrifyingly mobile unit with great shooting, decent durability and they're even ok in assault if you pick your targets properly.

Intercessors and Reivers are both great as well. Having your basic troop unit wounding T3 on 2's in assault will never not be funny and Reivers make great harassers. I'm particuarly fond of MSU with carbines but there's arguments for the knives as well, especially in larger squads.

Agressors are so good at shooting they're hardly a bad choice but there's not any particular synergy since they don't have fly so you really want to keep them out of assault.

Everything else is basically fine but there's not a particular reason to take them as Blood Angels instead of a chapter who's tactic is more focused on shooting (Dark Angels for Hellblasters etc)

If you're willing to stretch the definition of Primaris to include Scouts (gotta get recruits somehow) then they look like a solid choice as well. They're stupid cheap and hit just as hard in assault as Intercessors if you give them combat knives, plus their Scout move is good for blocking and giving your deep strikers more room.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I really wish there were transport options for Aggressors other than the Repulsor.

I'd like to pick some up and run them with flamers, but not sure if footslogging those would be a good idea.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If you're willing to stretch the definition of Primaris to include Scouts (gotta get recruits somehow) then they look like a solid choice as well. They're stupid cheap and hit just as hard in assault as Intercessors if you give them combat knives, plus their Scout move is good for blocking and giving your deep strikers more room.

There's also the added bonus if you're going first that you can put them 9" outside your opponent's deployment zone, move, and then charge to try to knife through their screen or tie up exposed units.

As for actual Primaris units, I agree with Pendent but would add Intercessors as well, they're durable midfield objective grabbers with solid shooting especially if you can get them in cover. Add in a power sword for the Sargent and Red Thirst triggering on both the charge or being charged and they can be surprisingly nasty against opposing midfield/ harassing units. They won't go toe to toe with a dedicated assault unit but they also shouldn't have to.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

FromTheShire posted:

There's also the added bonus if you're going first that you can put them 9" outside your opponent's deployment zone, move, and then charge to try to knife through their screen or tie up exposed units.

As for actual Primaris units, I agree with Pendent but would add Intercessors as well, they're durable midfield objective grabbers with solid shooting especially if you can get them in cover. Add in a power sword for the Sargent and Red Thirst triggering on both the charge or being charged and they can be surprisingly nasty against opposing midfield/ harassing units. They won't go toe to toe with a dedicated assault unit but they also shouldn't have to.

I'm a huge fan of Intercessors- I even was before the codex! I just mixed them in with Reivers in my post because they have such similar statlines.

Last game I played my opponent charge some of the genestealer acolytes into an Intercessor squad. I interrupted and his face was pretty priceless when I explained I was going to be wounding him on 2's. Wiped out all but 2 of the 10 models after accounting for morale.

So yes, Intercessors are pretty solid for Blood Angels.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I figure the answer is probably "nope" but are the tidewall structures any good? They look like they could be funny with the fact that they're all open-topped, can take 10 infantry characters/1 infantry unit, and the shieldline's ability to wound shooters on a 6 save.

Obviously not making a list before these new rules hit, just skimming through battlescribe/armies40k and checking them out.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
How do people feel about equipping Tallarn Sentinels? For that matter should I be taking The scout or armored variant? I’m leaning towards auto cannons on the armored sentinels but there is a certain amount of appeal to using scout sentinels for board control

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Whatever weapon you have on your sentinels don't really matter. They never hit.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I'm thinking Aggressors with my Raven Guard using Strike from the Shadows is a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Whatever weapon you have on your sentinels don't really matter. They never hit.

Tallarn Sentinels hit on 4s after moving don’t they? That seems about as good as it’s going to get to for Guard shooting for the most part