Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

That Old Tree posted:

I'm sympathetic to worrying that a game line is "dead", because it absolutely does become harder to push for games and find players for a game that isn't actively supported.

On the other hand, "active support" is reserved only for the relative megabucks earners of this hobby which are uniformly not great, so whatever. Plus most of these people will probably be jumping on the new train in a year or two no matter what they say now.

I'm sure a lot of those tears are PF Society related.

You know, the 'living campaign' that never in a decade figured out how to reliably handle characters past level 12 because the game just breaks for casters after that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm sure a lot of those tears are PF Society related.

You know, the 'living campaign' that never in a decade figured out how to reliably handle characters past level 12 because the game just breaks for casters after that point.

Exactly like the campaigns it was based on. Go figure.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Very Paizo of them to look at an edition of D&D that isn’t getting any official support and selling a replacement version to the fans.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Saw my first "they turned PF into an MMO" take already, and I just live for this.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So is P2.0 their take on 4e or 5e?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kurieg posted:

So is P2.0 their take on 4e or 5e?
5e, looks like.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
It's like a normal spell list, but it goes to 10. :black101:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

LongDarkNight posted:

It's like a normal spell list, but it goes to 10. :black101:
Goes to eleven.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Goes to eleven.

Well yeah, if they're not in the Forgotten realms anymore they can do that :v:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Saw my first "they turned PF into an MMO" take already, and I just live for this.

Link please? I know someone who would have so much glee at this.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Remember: they haven't even released anything yet.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

That Old Tree posted:

I'm sympathetic to worrying that a game line is "dead", because it absolutely does become harder to push for games and find players for a game that isn't actively supported.

On the other hand, "active support" is reserved only for the relative megabucks earners of this hobby which are uniformly not great, so whatever. Plus most of these people will probably be jumping on the new train in a year or two no matter what they say now.

You're not wrong, but also I'm pretty sure for most of the people posting here the difficulty in getting people to play smaller games is just business as usual.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Thomamelas posted:

Link please? I know someone who would have so much glee at this.

It was in a Discord chat so unfortunately I can’t link it. The comment was spurred by the suggestion on Paizo’s podcast that they’d move away from spell slots to some sort of casting cool down mechanic.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Comrade Gorbash posted:

It was in a Discord chat so unfortunately I can’t link it. The comment was spurred by the suggestion on Paizo’s podcast that they’d move away from spell slots to some sort of casting cool down mechanic.

Well, they hired Ssalarn (who did a bunch of stuff for Dreamscarred Press and Drop Dead Studios), so I'd be surprised if there isn't something that breaks the original PF mold in the final product.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Here is some of the changes someone listening to a podcast was able to get:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/comments/82j4ua/glass_cannon_crew_sits_down_for_the_first_ever/dvarlin/

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

quote:

It seems like the number of actions a spells costs during combat is dependent on the number of components it has. Acid Splash has a Verbal and Somatic component, so it requires 2 actions. However, Shield only has a Verbal component, so the caster can cast both spells in their turn.
Well that sounds fiddly as hell and a bookkeeping nightmare.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

quote:

Shields no longer give a flat AC bonus. Instead, you spend 1 action to ready it, giving you its AC bonus and an extra reaction. (I like this, in theory)

You can spend Reactions to do various things. For example, "Nimble Dodge" gives you an AC bonus vs a single melee attack. Fighters get a lot of Reaction options.

Wow, what hot, exciting non-caster gameplay.

Kurieg posted:

If it were any other company I would just assume that spell action cost is determined to balance the spell and is included in the spell stat block, and then the number and nature of components it has is just based on how many actions it takes to cast, not the other way around.

But alas, this is Paizo and Pathfinder.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Kurieg posted:

The action economy changes in general seem pretty drastic.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kurieg posted:

Not really, no? Like I know boo hiss Pathfinder but it's literally just "you get 3 points, this action costs 2, this action costs 1."

You could put a little number next to the spell and you're good to go.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

DalaranJ posted:

The action economy changes in general seem pretty drastic.

It's almost like they should describe them using 'Minor, Move, Standard'.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Not really, no? Like I know boo hiss Pathfinder but it's literally just "you get 3 points, this action costs 2, this action costs 1."

You could put a little number next to the spell and you're good to go.

I imagine there will be class features that let you bypass material components.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

LuiCypher posted:

It's almost like they should describe them using 'Minor, Move, Standard'.

How much did PF1 change in playtest? Did they actually change the design at all?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

RIP grognards.txt, but this is just so good. Hnnnnng this feels so nice, it's been a while.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

DalaranJ posted:

How much did PF1 change in playtest? Did they actually change the design at all?

Combat Feats as a category got a big change.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

Yeah, mostly just making it even more like 3.5 and removing a neat thing from martials I can’t remember anymore. I still preferred the Open Dev process in Beast the Primordial.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 7, 2018

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Sounds a bit like they're taking a page or two from WFRP2.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

"When a wizard summons a monster to give flanking for the rogue's sneak attack or casts bull's strength to enhance the fighter or uses a wall to divide the enemy or brings the barbarian back from the brink with breath of life, that's Pathfinder."

When you buy a make-believe tavern for $5000 and lock yourself into a protection racket, that's Pathfinder.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

When wizards do everything, that's Pathfinder.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
The D&D Next vs Pathfinder edition warring on Facebook is :kiss:.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

LongDarkNight posted:

The D&D Next vs Pathfinder edition warring on Facebook is :kiss:.
Let_them_fight.gif

Serf
May 5, 2011

when they are exhausted shadow of the demon lord can show up to finish them both off

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
You know, when Palladium started selling "Raw Preview" editions of their books - basically the final draft without the art or layout, I was like "Ha ha, that's so funny, that you would think I would buy an unfinished book, ha ha, what a ridiculous company. Ha ha."

Serf
May 5, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

You know, when Palladium started selling "Raw Preview" editions of their books - basically the final draft without the art or layout, I was like "Ha ha, that's so funny, that you would think I would buy an unfinished book, ha ha, what a ridiculous company. Ha ha."

so like a printed book or a pdf?

does palladium even do pdfs?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Steam does it all the time.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

Yeah, mostly just making it even more like 3.5 and removing a neat thing from martials I can’t remember anymore. I still preferred the Open Dev process in Beast the Primordial.

You have a terrible gimmick.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void

Some Pathfinder Fanboy posted:

If all of this is about having a second 5e, then thanks but no thanks. Pathfinder is perfect as it is. We prefer Pathfinder because is different. Certainly more complicated than 5e, but that's magic part of it. To be able to create and play with any kind of character I can think of, is all I need, and I've already got it with Pathfinder. :)

"You can't change anything! Our literal clone of D&D is too unique!"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Paizo should’ve made another company that’ll sell Routesearcher which is an exact clone of pathfinder in its current state

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kurieg posted:

You have a terrible gimmick.

At least Beast tried to improve, and failed, instead of seeking to make things worse ala PF’s playtest :colbert:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

At least Beast tried to improve, and failed, instead of seeking to make things worse ala PF’s playtest :colbert:

Uhhh....

Pretty much the only thing I've heard that actually changed mechanically out of playtesting is that prior to playtesting the Beasts with Flying Horrors didn't actually have an atavism that allowed them to fly.
And they removed "You Are Meat" because the condition it tagged people with was loving broken, but re-introduced it as a story specific nightmare that only affects other supernaturals until they sufficiently suck the Beast's dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Uhhh....

Pretty much the only thing I've heard that actually changed mechanically out of playtesting is that prior to playtesting the Beasts with Flying Horrors didn't actually have an atavism that allowed them to fly.
And they removed "You Are Meat" because the condition it tagged people with was loving broken, but re-introduced it as a story specific nightmare that only affects other supernaturals until they sufficiently suck the Beast's dick.

Oh, mechanically, they’re both hosed :haw:

I remember that it changed some of the fluff to make the idea of it more palatable. It didn’t succeed, but There Was An Attempt