Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Echo Chamber posted:

I'll take every opportunity to say there's virtually nothing redeeming about Into Darkness.

There's nothing redeeming about Into Darkness besides the prologue and score.

I wish it was a rehash of TWOK. If it was, it would have been way better than what we actually got.

Things that were okay about Into Darkness for me:

-Prologue and score, like you said
-SFX were pretty slick
-Some okay humor with Scott
-I liked their take on the Klingons
-At least there's some attempt at social commentary in there, which is more than can be said for the previous three films
-USS Vengeance plot was decent enough, I enjoyed those battle scenes
-9/11 truther stuff is stupid but weird enough to make the film a small pop history oddity in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Whaaaaaat - looking into this led me to discover Syfy made a Ringworld miniseries as well. Why doesn't anyone tell me about these things? Was that any good (I already know the answer in my heart)?
It looks like they were developing it but never actually made it to TV. Probably spent that money on Sharknado vs. Megatopus.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Drink-Mix Man posted:

-SFX were pretty slick
-At least there's some attempt at social commentary in there, which is more than can be said for the previous three films
-9/11 truther stuff is stupid but weird enough to make the film a small pop history oddity in the future

"I'm pretty sure we're helping him."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nessus posted:

It looks like they were developing it but never actually made it to TV. Probably spent that money on Sharknado vs. Megatopus.

Oh, that's kind of a relief then, but also kind of a disappointment.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

VitalSigns posted:

It's fine, it's not great, but it's fine.

It has potential.

It could be fine, or even good, if things go well.

Not yet.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Abe Lincoln just called Uhura a negress what the hell is going on

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Klingons in into darkness wear trenchcoats with huge HUUUGE lapels. Once you see it you can't unsee it.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
TNG used only public domain stuff because they were cheap. That's the only reason we don't see references to Cagney & Lacey or Sade or whatever.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Geekboy posted:

TNG used only public domain stuff because they were cheap. That's the only reason we don't see references to Cagney & Lacey or Sade or whatever.

Sherlock Holmes wasn't entirely public domain when they did "Elementary, Dear Data", they just assumed it was. :downs:

(And MGM apparently wasn't too happy about DS9's "Our Man Bashir"...)

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Our Man Bashir is a very good episode.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I think it kind of works in a "the animatronic shark sank again, so let's try something else" sort of way. Mostly. It gets a bit suspicious after a certain point, though. Like, "Why doesn't anyone remember any media after 1925?"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

Sherlock Holmes wasn't entirely public domain when they did "Elementary, Dear Data", they just assumed it was.

By all rights it should be, the estate has been doing some shady poo poo where they claim the first few stories being public domain doesn't mean the character himself is

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Geekboy posted:

I think it kind of works in a "the animatronic shark sank again, so let's try something else" sort of way. Mostly. It gets a bit suspicious after a certain point, though. Like, "Why doesn't anyone remember any media after 1925?"
One of the things I liked in the Abrams Trek films is the recurring presence of the Beastie Boys, because they *are* modern, but presumably endured, perhaps because Vulcans appreciated hip-hop and encouraged its preservation.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

BRAG ALL YOU WANT!!! BUT DONT GET BETWEEN ME AND THE BLOOD WINE!!!!!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

numberoneposter posted:

BRAG ALL YOU WANT!!! BUT DONT GET BETWEEN ME AND THE BLOOD WINE!!!!!

It's too bad Terry Farrell was allergic to the prosthetic glue. She would have been great in that episode

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

8one6 posted:

It's too bad Terry Farrell was allergic to the prosthetic glue. She would have been great in that episode
In the CGI remaster, she will be.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

8one6 posted:

Why would that one have been different from all the rest?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Why would that one have been different from all the rest?

Because Dax knew more about Klingons than Martok.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Also Terry Farrel was good during the few times she got to act as something other than “smart and aloof.”

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Drink-Mix Man posted:

-SFX were pretty slick
- Special effects were forgettable. I have trouble remembering any nice set pieces after the first ten minutes.
- I don't remember laughing at any jokes.
- Klingons were only in the movie for like a minute and left no impression beyond being space orcs.
- Social commentary, if you pretend it's not trutherism, is the laziest take on the Bush/Cheney era and the war on terror, years after the Bush administration was over. A kid could have vomited out a better take on militarism after a ten minute brainstorming session. I would have preferred no pretense of being a "smart" movie with stuff to say.
- Evil spaceship is a threat because it's bigger.
- I don't want to remember this movie. And considering the direction Beyond took, neither did the studio.

STID is the rare kind of uniquely awful movie where singling out any specific flaw or problem does a disservice to how the whole wreckage is greater than the sum of its parts.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 7, 2018

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nessus posted:

Yeah, I always figured they lean so much on stuff that was at least semi-classic when TNG et al. was made because that would be at least semi-futureproof. Didn't they have some episode of B5 where Penn and Teller play inexplicable future comedians?

Yeah, it was the episode where part of the station gets sealed in a magic zone and dead people from the past visit some of the characters. There were also one or two references to "Rebo and Zooty" earlier in the show; Sheridan loves them, Londo doesn't get them at all.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I don't care about Penn and Teller, but I liked how they explained how different species find different things funny and made Delenn laugh. Babylon 5 always did a good job making their universe feel real.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
in tng have the vulcans/romulans had interstellar travel for millenia? how are there vulcan/romulan ancient artifacts all over the place

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

underage at the vape shop posted:

in tng have the vulcans/romulans had interstellar travel for millenia? how are there vulcan/romulan ancient artifacts all over the place

Yes, the Vulcans have been in space for a long time. Then they had a civil war, nuked themselves back to the stone age, and it took them a very long time to climb back up. One of the reasons the Vulcans are so worried/impressed by humanity is that Earth bounced back from WW3 in just a few decades.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I tripped and fell into the Star Trek novel rabbit hole and read one about Dr. McCoy spending 30 years haunted by dreams that are actually memories of his life that didn't happen in the timeline where he saved Edith Keeler.

It was good. I found the premise fascinating. But Christ, the concept is pretty dark.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

underage at the vape shop posted:

T'Rump did this

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

McNally posted:

I tripped and fell into the Star Trek novel rabbit hole and read one about Dr. McCoy spending 30 years haunted by dreams that are actually memories of his life that didn't happen in the timeline where he saved Edith Keeler.

It was good. I found the premise fascinating. But Christ, the concept is pretty dark.

How is that possible, I thought none of them existed because Hitler won World War 2

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
The Federation didn't exist. Don't think there was anything said about any particular people not existing.

Also which novel was this? Sounds vaguely familiar.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Nessus posted:

One of the things I liked in the Abrams Trek films is the recurring presence of the Beastie Boys, because they *are* modern, but presumably endured, perhaps because Vulcans appreciated hip-hop and encouraged its preservation.

Similarly, I liked the inclusion of Love and Happiness in DISCO because people will definitely still be using that song to get laid.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Hipster_Doofus posted:

David George's " Provenance of Shadows", part of his Crucible trilogy. The trilogy is about the aftermath of The City on the Edge of Forever, and the effect the events had on McCoy, Spock, and Kirk.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hipster_Doofus posted:

The Federation didn't exist. Don't think there was anything said about any particular people not existing.

This has always been a thorny question in the multi-universe take on things, because logically speaking even things like a slight shift in the begetting of oneself might lead to a different fusion of gametes and thus instead of "you" it's essentially your brother or sister.

And that leaves aside other things leading to knock-on effects where a slight change of accidental mishaps means your great-grandfather never met your great-grandmother. Or being like Fry and doing the nasty in the pasty.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Epicurius posted:

David George's " Provenance of Shadows", part of his Crucible trilogy. The trilogy is about the aftermath of The City on the Edge of Forever, and the effect the events had on McCoy, Spock, and Kirk.

Whoa, this sounds really great; I'll have to check it out. I really need to start reading novels again anyway.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I've got a Captain Kirk question. Captain Kirk, in popular culture is this devil may care, gung-ho, violent impulsive maverick, thinking the rules don't apply to him, and quick with his fists and phaser pistol.

Except, if you watch TOS, he's not. Kirk comes across in it as risk-averse, obsessed with the safety of his ship and crew, tightly wound and often brooding on his choices. He's generally a stickler for regulations and even a little bit of a martinet with his crew. Every time hes described by someone else, its either as a bookworm, as a prodigy, or as personally ambitious. And while he's not afraid to use violence, he usually gets out of bad situations by outwitting or charming his enemies.

In other words, the Captain Kirk of the TV show is pretty much the opposite of the Captain Kirk of the public imagination.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

How is that possible, I thought none of them existed because Hitler won World War 2

I think it's the timeline where he saves her and stays trapped in the past to witness the consequences of that action.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Epicurius posted:

I've got a Captain Kirk question. Captain Kirk, in popular culture is this devil may care, gung-ho, violent impulsive maverick, thinking the rules don't apply to him, and quick with his fists and phaser pistol.

Except, if you watch TOS, he's not. Kirk comes across in it as risk-averse, obsessed with the safety of his ship and crew, tightly wound and often brooding on his choices. He's generally a stickler for regulations and even a little bit of a martinet with his crew. Every time hes described by someone else, its either as a bookworm, as a prodigy, or as personally ambitious. And while he's not afraid to use violence, he usually gets out of bad situations by outwitting or charming his enemies.

In other words, the Captain Kirk of the TV show is pretty much the opposite of the Captain Kirk of the public imagination.

Pretty much. I think that gap has widened as TOS has gotten older and a lot of people have decided that it's so old that it's not worth watching. If they bothered to watch some episodes of TOS, they'd gain a better understanding of Kirk as a character, as well as TOS itself.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Epicurius posted:

In these cases, Kirk is usually being compared and contrasted with Picard.

The real person that description applies to is, of course, Captain Sisko.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Epicurius posted:

In the public imagination, Kirk is Han Solo but with a phaser instead of a blaster.

Or, to keep it Star Trek appropriate, he's The Outrageous Okona :v:

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.

Epicurius posted:

I was in my early 20s when I read it so take this with a grain of salt, but at the time I thought this was the best Trek book I'd ever read. Also that it was just a legitimately great book, Star Trek or not. It got me back into reading Trek novels for a while but almost none of them came close to my experience with this. The two follow-ups (one on Spock and one on Kirk) were decent but didn't hit me like this one did. Coincidentally I had an urge to reread it a couple nights ago to see if it held up...I've never had that desire with a Trek novel before.

King Diamond
Dec 26, 2005

Epicurius posted:

So what is your question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Epicurius posted:

I don’t see a question in your post but yeah, you are completely correct that Kirk’s popular image is just inaccurate. There was an article last year in Strange Horizons which, while I remember it being kind of douchey, called this out in exhaustive detail, with a particular focus on the inaccuracy of the image of Kirk as a ladies’ man.

I think that probably the biggest explanation for this phenomenon, which I don’t think the article touched on, is the TOS movies, which feature a major plot arc about Kirk rebelling against Starfleet and generally being maverickish. The fact that this is the character’s midlife crisis after a pretty exemplary career is ignored. Another big factor is the fact that most people nowadays, even people who like Trek, probably haven’t watched TOS seriously in ages. The average image of TOS nowadays comes from JJTrek (which operates exclusively on the level of moronic, pre-existing generalizations like “Captain Kirk is a devil may care maverick!”) and other, intentional parodies.