Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Xabungle features a character named El Condor. His last name is Condor, and his first name is El.

And Rag is the best character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Rag's cool, but I think I liked Fatman, Chill and Timp more. Chill is one of the best child characters in anime to my mind, alongside Princess Anna in Overman King Gainer. Which is also a comic Tomino show.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Never heard of Dunbine, that looks cool as hell (even if it probably gives me Gor flashbacks). Will give it a watch when I'm done with VOTOMS.

I've said it before but VOTOMS rules. The set pieces are amazing. I just finished a great mini-arc set on a dead, bombed-out world with Heavy Metal vibes where the heroes cross a desert under a neon pink dying sun, scavenging oxygen canisters from skeletons and melted tanks and poo poo because the planet's atmosphere was rendered unbreatheable by the war. The style and feel is so good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Marx Headroom, also give Vifam a go if you like weird old sci-fi. It has probably the best child characters in any medium.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Guy Goodbody posted:

Xabungle features a character named El Condor. His last name is Condor, and his first name is El.

loving Jiron losing his poo poo about El Condor being a terrible name after that arc is golden. Love that awful boy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Guy Goodbody posted:

I see someone doesn't want to bring culture to this hellhole.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

Marx Headroom, also give Vifam a go if you like weird old sci-fi. It has probably the best child characters in any medium.

Thanks, looks great! man Tomino mustve been one hell of a busy guy

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Marx Headroom posted:

When you make Tomino make too many shows at once, you get Moon-Moon.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Marx Headroom posted:

I think Tomino was only involved with the planning stages of Vifam.
The actual director was Takeyuki Kanda, who also directed Dragonar, parts of Dougram and 08th MS Team.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Zoids!

https://twitter.com/takaratomytoys/status/968324740405342208

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Jesus, the hair on those kids. That's some Yu-gi-oh poo poo right there.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hellioning posted:

Jesus, the hair on those kids. That's some Yu-gi-oh poo poo right there.
No, it can't be Yu-gi-Oh hair because those kids just have wild extensions of normal hair, not randomly cut out geometric shapes slapped onto a person's head in random patterns and called hair.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I heard L-Gaim has bad subs but this torrent seems fine. What's the story behind the bad subs?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Xabungle has a bench seat in the back that folds down for more cargo space

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snooze Cruise posted:

The one that ends with Rag getting the poo poo beat out of her

I just got to that episode. Yeah, that was uhh... a bit much.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Guy Goodbody posted:

I just got to that episode. Yeah, that was uhh... a bit much.

Yeah, like Xabungle is probably my favorite thing Tomino has done that I have seen (need to get around Dunbine one of these days) but I came pretty loving close to dropping the series when that happened.

Its just bad and uncomfortable and it feels like it goes on forever.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Argevollen mini-review: I watched two and a half episodes of it and it was the driest thing I've ever seen, yikes. Like, I like political military drama, I like squad-level stuff, and yet it was the most by the numbers "I've seen gundam and other anime before" show I've ever seen.

I thought about continuing and then decided I'd be better off looking through my backlog instead and I found Tekkaman Blade, which isn't a mecha show, but it does open with a robot-man fighting bugs in space for five minutes before this happens, so it's already a billion times better.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I think that's further into Argevollen than I got. I got really excited for the chunky mech designs and then the main suit looks like a rejected Kamen Rider spinoff design. Nobody has any charisma either, and I really wasn't given much of a reason to care about the conflict either.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Muffinlord posted:

I think that's further into Argevollen than I got. I got really excited for the chunky mech designs and then the main suit looks like a rejected Kamen Rider spinoff design. Nobody has any charisma either, and I really wasn't given much of a reason to care about the conflict either.

"there's a war between these two nations. oh no. there's a bunch of characters. the squad leader is silent and smart. the newbie soldier is hot-blooded. the civilian engineer lady is forgetful. aren't you excited."

Not with that level of cardboard I'm not. :sigh:

The mech fights in it were okay, but I was sleeping through the opening of the third episode, so... yeah. Nope.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah, like Xabungle is probably my favorite thing Tomino has done that I have seen (need to get around Dunbine one of these days) but I came pretty loving close to dropping the series when that happened.

Its just bad and uncomfortable and it feels like it goes on forever.

Speaking of which, I just saw Xabungle 24, and did Greta kill herself? What the gently caress?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

StrixNebulosa posted:

I thought about continuing and then decided I'd be better off looking through my backlog instead and I found Tekkaman Blade, which isn't a mecha show, but it does open with a robot-man fighting bugs in space for five minutes before this happens, so it's already a billion times better.

hell yeah

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This entire fight owned

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Tekkaman Blade is cool, but I'm watching it alongside original 70s Tekkaman and holy poo poo 70s Tekkaman owns so hard.

The last episode I watched had Tekkaman have gay sex with a space bird to explode everything and save the world.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Argevollen mini-review: I watched two and a half episodes of it and it was the driest thing I've ever seen, yikes. Like, I like political military drama, I like squad-level stuff, and yet it was the most by the numbers "I've seen gundam and other anime before" show I've ever seen.
I finished it a while back. It wasn't worth it. I think I finished M3: The Dark Metal at about the same time, and that was much more rewarding and satisfying.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

MarsDragon posted:

Tekkaman Blade is cool, but I'm watching it alongside original 70s Tekkaman and holy poo poo 70s Tekkaman owns so hard.

The last episode I watched had Tekkaman have gay sex with a space bird to explode everything and save the world.

I have questions about how gay sex works in Tekkaman's world.

Daler Mehndi posted:

I finished it a while back. It wasn't worth it. I think I finished M3: The Dark Metal at about the same time, and that was much more rewarding and satisfying.

I remember trying that one a few years back and I didn't click with it...but hey, it actually had characters, which is a huge plus.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I said it before, but M3 was just too dark for me. Like, literally. Orange hadn’t figured out how to make their CG visually-comprehensible in low-light scenes yet, and all the mech fights were at night.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have questions about how gay sex works in Tekkaman's world.

So there's a magic space bird that's only half a bird until it combines with its mate, and then everything explodes. Then one combined with Tekkaman.

There you go.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

:parrot::birddrugs:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i tried watching M3 when it aired, and mostly just remember getting kind of bored with it. it felt like it was trying to be weird and edgey without much substance to back that up?

is it actually way better than my fuzzy memory of it? i think i stopped at like, episode 3

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Only off-franchise or one-off robot shows I really liked were Heroic Age, Gigantic Formula and Kuromukuro.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

well it was in srw a couple times so it gets a resounding "close enough" on the mecha scale

but congratulations on your massive move upwards in quality

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Goddmanit, Xabungle needs to stop introducing awesome ladies and then immediately killing them in the same episode.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jiron: "I'm going to go out in the Gallia. Chill, you get in the legs. Rag, you follow in the Xabungle"
That guy who isn't Fatman or Cotset: "What about me?"
Jiron: "You're a minor character, stand on the bridge"

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Goddmanit, Xabungle needs to stop introducing awesome ladies and then immediately killing them in the same episode.
If you mean Tron Miran, that legit made me upset. Because I forgot for a moment there that it was Tomino writing. :rolleyes:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daler Mehndi posted:

If you mean Tron Miran, that legit made me upset. Because I forgot for a moment there that it was Tomino writing. :rolleyes:

Toron and Greta. And you don't have to spoiler Toron, the preview for her episode said she was gonna die

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The world of Xabungle is like, really cool to me and I think it has my favorite explanation of why their are giant robots in this setting, but yeah, the show is a lot of "yo here are some cool women and now they are going to either die or suffer or -spoiler-"

It really bums me out because there is so much I love about the show and its characters.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
is l-gaim any good? i want it to be good

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Relin posted:

is l-gaim any good? i want it to be good

I've been really enjoying it. It's pretty mild Tomino, I think I'm like 22 episodes in and the only person who bought it died pretty much at the start of the whole thing. The entire first arc is the hero trying to return a guy's ATM card, if that's any indication.

You can also see a lot of proto-Zeta in the mecha designs, which is cool as hell, and the first opening song is honestly one of my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
It's time. For L-Gaim.