Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I would definitely read a manga about ippo becoming a mangaka

Edit: I would also read if date became opposed coach

I think the manga really started going to crap when it was too lazy to ever draw legs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

http://netabare.city/archives/26012

1213 raws are out.

Ippo, his mum, Kumi and Itagaki's sister Nanako are having dinner, and Nanako mentions how she wishes she could've seen Ippo with a world title.

Kumi wants to change the subject, while Nanako claims that Ippo probably could've done it. Ippo's mum is astonished to hear this. It turns out she never watched or followed Ippo's career, because she didn't like the idea of her son getting punched around. Kumi doesn't like the discussion because she doesn't want any regrets that Ippo has to be dredged up.

Ippo says that he doesn't have any nostalgia for the ring, and has no reason to go back to boxing, but because it was such a huge part of his life, he'll never be able to forget his time as a professional athlete. He admits he has some regrets and things he wishes he could've done, and how he made some promises he was never able to keep - specifically his promise to Kamogawa to show the completed new Dempsey roll - but he did the best he could, so he feels he can hold his head up high and apologise for his failures and thank everyone for his experiences.

Ippo says that before he boxed, he had nothing he could be proud of, and he's satisfied with how he's been able to change and grow.

Ippo's mum just expresses relief that he's finally retired, notes that he's not depressed about quitting, and as long as she can live without worrying about the well-being of her son, she's satisfied.

Kumi's happy with this turn of events, and we learn that it's part of her deranged grand plan to delete all traces of boxing from Ippo's life, from Ippo's habit of shadow boxing or any individuals that bring up the sport.

Shinoda from the gym then turns up, begging Ippo to return to the ring, much to the dismay and fury of Kumi. Shinoda apologises for interrupting their dinner, and once again begs Ippo to come back. Kumi yells at him, and accuses him of lacking compassion, and how she can not, in good conscience agree to such a thing in her position as a nurse. Ippo and Kumi try to explain that he can't return to the ring, when it turns out Shinoda needs Ippo to act as a cornerman for a fighter at the gym.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
hahaha that deathstare from Kumi. Must run in the family

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
The old Over-The-Shoulder, Mouth-Fully-Open panel that reflects no real emotion and that Morikawa loves so much returns in the full force.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is ippo as a cornerman the worst idea or worst idea

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Stairmaster posted:

probably

but drat if I don't want to see it

I would be fine if this is the direction the series is taking

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Stairmaster posted:

He would probably be super supportive and do his best to not gently caress up. Bonus points if it is itagaki who he is cornering for as he challenges Imei.

That said, I feel like being ringside at a fight is going to stir old feelings up. Kumi is gonna be pissed!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
This is taking an oddly autobiographical turn.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
ippo is george foreman, he will return at 38 and claim the title

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

He will market a popular brand of grills.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Remember like, ippos first five fights where he worked so hard on learning to dodge?

Rip ippo when he returns to the ring after being a cornerman gets him excited again

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012
Maybe after being a corner man and watching some fights, it'll finally get into Ippo's head that the point of boxing isn't to take the most hits to the head.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

(if someone is winning)

Dig deep, and find your Yamato spirit!

(if someone is losing)

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Nilbop posted:

(if someone is winning)

(if someone is losing)

Not nearly enough stuttering and being unsure what to do so saying nothing.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
So Ippo is now a manga artist

The only truly honorable profession

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

He's going to stumble into an innocent and completely justified reason to be super loving racist.

Just like ole Papa Morikawa did.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Literally the first fight with miyata, takamura said never to drop his guard and get hit in the head, no matter what :negative:

Takamura should’ve been his coach the whole time

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
remember that plot thread where the other trainer at the gym was upset because none of the boxers he was handling ever became champions, while the boxers kamogawa handled did?

lol

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lol, Kumi after years of being a side character will step up to be the mean shrew keeping Ippo from fulfilling his brain-damage prophecy

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

remember that plot thread where the other trainer at the gym was upset because none of the boxers he was handling ever became champions, while the boxers kamogawa handled did?

lol

Kamogawa is great at inspiring people, especially people with potential who otherwise wouldn't, to box. It's just that no one at the gym is qualified to be a trainer other than Takamura.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Step 1 of Coach Kamogawa's Amazing Road to Ultimate Inspiration - wheel out your brain-damaged best-friend whose head looks like a blight-ridden potato and have him screech half-sentences about how great boxing is before he seizures himself to death.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kamogawa's philosophy of gently caress physical injuries or long term damage, just keep fighting and never give up until you win is dumb as hell.

It's this philosophy that cut his own boxing career short. I guess it could be justified as an act of revenge, since Ralph Anderson essentially brain damaged his best friend, but gently caress it's a terrible philosophy to teach an up and coming prizefighter. Take the loss and live to fight another day. His idiot ideas should die with the dumb old man.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

george morikawa must be taught to feel guilt

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So did the guys who do the "official" translations just give up out of anger? We're up to 1215 now and Manga Stream still doesn't have a chapter past 1204.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can't blame him, things have gotten thoroughly retarded.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Monaghan posted:

Kamogawa's philosophy of gently caress physical injuries or long term damage, just keep fighting and never give up until you win is dumb as hell.

It's this philosophy that cut his own boxing career short. I guess it could be justified as an act of revenge, since Ralph Anderson essentially brain damaged his best friend, but gently caress it's a terrible philosophy to teach an up and coming prizefighter. Take the loss and live to fight another day. His idiot ideas should die with the dumb old man.

It really is funny how Kamogawa's own history is a direct refutation of his methods. How could the author himself not realize this? I mean, Ippo has been forced to retire (and abnormally early I think?), but the comic itself doesn't seem to be casting any blame towards Kamogawa.

I feel like if Miyata had stayed with their gym he would have been a good influence on Ippo. Instead, him leaving ended up being pointless because he never even fought Ippo (in case anyone forgot!).

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
sendo took a really long break at one point which seemed to be really great for him. ippo never did this. shame really

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

thats not to say ippo took no breaks but by the time he took his first long one the damage was already done. anyway i hope the manga ends rn i can't be bothered anymore

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

It really is funny how Kamogawa's own history is a direct refutation of his methods. How could the author himself not realize this? I mean, Ippo has been forced to retire (and abnormally early I think?), but the comic itself doesn't seem to be casting any blame towards Kamogawa.

I feel like if Miyata had stayed with their gym he would have been a good influence on Ippo. Instead, him leaving ended up being pointless because he never even fought Ippo (in case anyone forgot!).

Miyata as manager would have been good

"What the gently caress are you doing, you stupid rear end in a top hat? Stop doing that retarded Dempsey poo poo, you're already ahead on points. And stop thirsting for me, you loving weirdo."

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
He should have just taken a page from Kenta Kobashi, the greatest boxer in the series

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, Ippo has been forced to retire (and abnormally early I think?),

He's like loving 21 or something.

Coach Kamogawa runs a lovely little gym that nobody but these 5 guys go to because all his trainees end up brain damaged and retired before they could even graduate from college.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nilbop posted:

He's like loving 21 or something.

Coach Kamogawa runs a lovely little gym that nobody but these 5 guys go to because all his trainees end up brain damaged and retired before they could even graduate from college.
He's 25.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
That's still extremely young o retire punch drunk lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I hope famous boxer Tyke Myson shows up at Ippo's doorstep to give him the pep talk he needs. Ippo returns to the ring with a renewed vigor, biting off ears and poo poo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Hell of a rematch with mashiba

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Jose posted:

what the gently caress are u a mod of now. ganbarre.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tbp posted:

what the gently caress are u a mod of now. ganbarre.

gbs

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

the Ippo of the forums

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

The match ends with Mashiba feeling utter terror towards the new Ippo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestonJew posted:

the Ippo of the forums
:rant:

Jose posted:

That's still extremely young o retire punch drunk lol
Yeah, it is. :(