Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Aphrodite posted:

I mean, they're likely specifically made to be as close to the limit as you can get. That's not suspicious.

Well, I was thinking that if it were slightly over the limit, they'd declare it as under to avoid reducing sales - but I guess you make more sense.

Of course, what is more likely is that the capacity is lower than they declare anyway...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
New flavorizers for my grill.

This Chinese knockoff of the eyeball mic filter:

Both loving own.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

spog posted:

Not to piss on your Cheerios, but that powerbank is too large to be carried on a plane.

http://blog.ravpower.com/2017/04/flying-planes-power-banks/

God loving da-

spog posted:

oh poo poo, I mistyped the numbers on my calculator.

Whew.

quote:

Remember to handcarry them.

Was planning on it anyway but good to know it can't go in checked bags.

Trabant posted:

That's a 2.5mm plug, or at least it was on my wife's QC35 (series 1).

Why Bose insisted on that? Money, probably.

Yep, 2.5mm looks right. Will order a dongle or replacement cable.

It's pretty lame that Bose skimped on the cable (and stopped including the airline adapter on the series 2) considering how expensive they are.

E: VV yeah, not that big a deal, it's like a $5 adapter and you're right that most people will probably rarely/never use it. Just lame that it was packaged with the series 1 QC35 and they removed it in series 2 while charging the same price. If it's $5 retail, it probably only cost them an extra 25 cents to throw one in the box.

Lawen has a new favorite as of 18:12 on Mar 7, 2018

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lawen posted:

It's pretty lame that Bose skimped on the cable (and stopped including the airline adapter on the series 2) considering how expensive they are.

I can't think of the last time I used mine. I don't think it's that crazy to think most people don't use it ever.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Lawen posted:

God loving da-

Whew.

Was planning on it anyway but good to know it can't go in checked bags.

I am always cautious about these things because I was going on a long, once-in-a-lifetime trip and found a 50,000mah power bank on Amazon that was a great buy as it meant I could keep all my devices charged, despite using them non-stop all day, without needing to buy expensive extra batteries.

Two days before the flight, I learnt of the restriction and had to pay for next day delivery to get a couple of 7,000mah power banks as I was screwed without those extra batteries.

When I returned, I realised that the 50,000mah powerbank was actually a 10,000mah with a lying description and label.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spog posted:

When I returned, I realised that the 50,000mah powerbank was actually a 10,000mah with a lying description and label.

How did you find that out?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Does the TSA even know/care about this? Like, are they really gonna do some napkin math every time someone comes through with a power bank?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

How did you find that out?

When I did this:

I realised that it must contain, at most, 5 of these 18650 lithium cells. Typical capacity at the time for a quality cell was 2,300mah per cell with the expensive ones making just over 3,000mah and there was no way that this one used expensive cells. 5x2300=11,500 and I am sure it uses cheap poo poo ones so the capacity is less than that.

This video confirmed my suspicions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoXWzS76RB8

(EDIT: he forgets to say in the video, but the comments say 6-8,000 mah)

spog has a new favorite as of 18:53 on Mar 7, 2018

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Jmcrofts posted:

Does the TSA even know/care about this? Like, are they really gonna do some napkin math every time someone comes through with a power bank?

Yea, I fly with tools all the time and my carry-on bag occasionally has four or five screw gun batteries in it and I have never ever had anyone pull one out and look at it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Jmcrofts posted:

Dunno about TSA, but a competent scanner in another country can simply look at the stated capacity printed on the side and see if it is <32,000mah

So, even though mine was actually compliant, the lying label on it would have caused them to seize it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

spog posted:

Dunno about TSA, but a competent scanner in another country can simply look at the stated capacity printed on the side and see if it is <32,000mah

So, even though mine was actually compliant, the lying label on it would have caused them to seize it.

If anything the lying label is worse than the higher capacity. Speaks to build quality, which can speak to likelihood to cause a thermal runaway mid-flight.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Even though the original was probably a farce designed to sell oddities, I love the Voynich Manuscript.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

If anything the lying label is worse than the higher capacity. Speaks to build quality, which can speak to likelihood to cause a thermal runaway mid-flight.

I have a power pack that I bought from Aliexpress for like 10 bucks, I don't remember the rating but it will charge an iPhone 7 almost 4 times.

I am terrified of it and only plug it into charge it on top of a marble baking slab and only when I'm home/awake to keep an eye on it. When I'm not using it I keep it in a pelican case in the hope that the limited oxygen inside will keep it from getting too out of hand if it does decide to ignite.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That seems like a weird thing to skimp on and I love AliExpress.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The cheap 18650 batteries can explode. It's common in the vaping community.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

I have a power pack that I bought from Aliexpress for like 10 bucks, I don't remember the rating but it will charge an iPhone 7 almost 4 times.

I am terrified of it and only plug it into charge it on top of a marble baking slab and only when I'm home/awake to keep an eye on it. When I'm not using it I keep it in a pelican case in the hope that the limited oxygen inside will keep it from getting too out of hand if it does decide to ignite.

:3: It will be outside that pelican case in no time flat in the event of a dead short while charged.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

Solid buy on the jag!

I bought a few panels of this:

I then detonated my home office, organized the closet, reclaimed a bunch of floor space, and purged a ton of old poo poo.

I've got my humidor and a few more things back in the shelves now, but that's kinda the spread. I'm most happy having my router, NAS, and modem off the floor, so now one of my backups isn't impacted by a spilled drink:

I'm very excited

This freaking owns. I want to do this to my spare bedroom closet.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

That seems like a weird thing to skimp on and I love AliExpress.

Yea, I didn't really think about it before hand. It's a few years old now and it works so well I have not replaced it.

H110Hawk posted:

:3: It will be outside that pelican case in no time flat in the event of a dead short while charged.

Huh, is it that rapid of a reaction or is there an oxidizer in the battery? My wife has some asbestos welding pads, maybe Ill wrap it in that.

Every name brand pack I have bough has been crap, so my little Chinese timebomb is all I got.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anker is my go to small electronics brand these days. Great prices, super reliable, and sturdy as hell. My Bluetooth speaker was $30 from them and compares favorably to $150 ones and the battery lasts forever.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah Anker is almost always your best choice. I have two banks and they both are reliable as hell.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

Huh, is it that rapid of a reaction or is there an oxidizer in the battery? My wife has some asbestos welding pads, maybe Ill wrap it in that.

I'm no batterytician but I think lithium ion batteries work by moving around an oxygen lithium molecule. Overheating can result in those becoming free from the shackles of their oppressors.

H110Hawk has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Mar 7, 2018

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

I'm no batterytician but I think lithium ion batteries work by moving around an oxygen molecule. Overheating can result in those becoming free from the shackles of their lithium oppressors.

Its not quite that, lithium batteries work by moving about lithium, once a battery hits a certain temperature it enters a feedback reaction discharging all its stored energy very quickly causing the entire thing to heat up to over a thousand degrees in a process called thermal runaway. This will destroy the battery pack and vent flammable electrolyte at high temperature into the surrounding air. Its not directly venting oxygen but when the evaporated electrolyte gas mixes with the oxygen in the air surrounding the battery and the heat from the pack then it is likely to go boom.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Depending on the chemistry type the cathode is often made from metal oxides, which contain enough oxygen to sustain a battery fire even in the absence of oxygen.

Lithium ion/polymer batteries are tons of fun. Overcharge it, and a slight shock (being dropped or smacked hard) can set it off like a grenade. Overdischarge it and you can end up with a cell short, which can lead to a fire.

Mu Zeta posted:

The cheap 18650 batteries can explode. It's common in the vaping community.

I would take any claims of "cheap 18650s failing" from the vaping community with a grain of salt. Likelier explanations: they tried to save a dollar or two by buying unprotected cells (lacking an internal circuit to prevent overcharging/discharging) and overcharged/discharged them, or else same cost-saving scenario but their e-cig draws more current than the cell is rated to handle, resulting in it overheating and exploding/catching fire.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Keeping with battery chat, where can I buy 18650s from where I can be reasonably certain I'm getting a good one? I got a little weed thing it is powered by them and it would seriously unchill if it suddenly caught fire.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
If you don't mind waiting for them to slowboat over from China - https://www.fasttech.com has some of the best prices on the internet.

Otherwise - any reputable seller on Amazon selling branded cells (ie, Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, LG, etc.) should be safe.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

bongwizzard posted:

Keeping with battery chat, where can I buy 18650s from where I can be reasonably certain I'm getting a good one? I got a little weed thing it is powered by them and it would seriously unchill if it suddenly caught fire.

Stick with Sony, LG or Samsung cells and most importantly stick with a well known battery retailer like Ilumn if you want to reliably get good, authentic cells. Even they've been tricked a few times with fake cells but you run a much higher risk if you go the Amazon/ebsy/third party reseller route.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

100% Dundee posted:

Stick with Sony, LG or Samsung cells and most importantly stick with a well known battery retailer like Ilumn if you want to reliably get good, authentic cells. Even they've been tricked a few times with fake cells but you run a much higher risk if you go the Amazon/ebsy/third party reseller route.

Yeah, that's sort of what I meant, at this point I trust eBay more than I trust Amazon about poo poo like that. I'll check out that Ilumn place, thanks for the recommendation.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
If you need it ASAP you could also check out any vape shop. If they are a good shop they should care about battery quality and have good ones one hand.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

sterster posted:

If you need it ASAP you could also check out any vape shop. If they are a good shop they should care about battery quality and have good ones one hand.

Yeah but then I would have to go into a Vape shop, like I'm a druggie but I do have some standards.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Picked up a new to me car a few weeks ago.

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe M Sport. I also bought carbon fiber mirror covers and a carbon fiber rear lip spoiler. The mirror covers were mostly bought because there was a gouge on the factory painted ones and it was actually cheaper for me to buy new carbon fiber ones. I bought the spoiler because I saw some photos of them and they looked nice and it would make the mirror covers look more intentional.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Nice "coupe" lol :smug:

Just to confirm this, the security nazis at airports around Europe and Asia definitely check powerbanks, not always and not very closely, but I wouldn't bet on getting one past them.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
Nice "coupe" lol :smug:

Yeah, it's a dumb name and completely messes up their even numbers are two door car numbering strategy. I didn't even know it existed until I saw one on the road recently and wondered why there was a 4 door 4 series, then I looked up what it was and wanted one. Shocking amount of usable space inside with the seats down.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah Anker is almost always your best choice. I have two banks and they both are reliable as hell.

Thirding Anker and putting in a vote for RAVpower.

Lawen posted:

USB-C + 5 USB-A charger that can take 110-220V and just needs an adapter. This thing is brilliant (assuming you can charge all of your devices via USB) and is replacing several bulkier travel power gadgets I've been hauling around.

Confirming that this is a very good idea and saves a hell of a lot of space.
It also means you can charge them up all at the same time - often you'll find that the number of outlets is limited in your room.

I had one of these going and using a single outlet, I was simultaneously charging two mobile phones, a camera, a GoPro and a tablet.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

rockcity posted:

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe M Sport.

Congrats, and go team car buyers! The 4 series was probably the 5th most comfortable car I sat in (The 2 door version of the coupe :rolleyes: ) during my decade long search for a car.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Hirethor posted:

Congrats, and go team car buyers! The 4 series was probably the 5th most comfortable car I sat in (The 2 door version of the coupe :rolleyes: ) during my decade long search for a car.

Please entertain us with the top 5.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Hirethor posted:

I assume that means you tried a lot. I really like the seats in it. The M Sport adds motorized side bolsters that you can adjust to hug your body in too. It's definitely the lowest car I've owned which I don't mind though my wife hates getting in and out of it. Also because it has coupe doors there is no door frame to grab onto when you get in or out.

I'm also still pleasantly surprised every day how quick it is for a car that gets 30+ mpg without electricity help.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

spog posted:

I had one of these going and using a single outlet, I was simultaneously charging two mobile phones, a camera, a GoPro and a tablet.

At 3 amps total output, how quickly does it charge all of those at once?

EDIT: Ohhhhh I see now. 3A for the USB-C port alone.

The Ferret King has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Mar 8, 2018

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

FormatAmerica posted:

Please entertain us with the top 5.

1. Jaguar F-Type (surprising because it's a sports car)
2. Jaguar XF
3&4. Tie for Mercedes E-class and C7 Corvette (again, surprising sports car)
5. BMW 4 series

6. Special mention to Porsche (though I don't remember which model, either the Carrera or Cayman) for being comfortable, but also having an uncanny feeling of "well built". Sitting in it: Everything just felt right. Pushing buttons felt exactly how you want a button push to feel, closing a door felt exactly how you want a door to close, etc.

P.S. Other cars I've sat in during that time include but are not limited to: Subaru Impreza, Subaru BRZ, Nissan GT-R, Mazda 3, Mazda 6, Ford Mustang, Ford Taurus, Hyundai Santa Fe, Hyundai Genesis, some Lincoln SUV, Mercedes C-class, Chevy Camaro, some trucks, 2 different Subaru SUVs, Chevy Camero, every Lexus that was in the showroom at the time I visited, BMW 5(?) series, 2 Jeeps...

Hirethor has a new favorite as of 03:56 on Mar 8, 2018

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Keeping in mind the same feeling of “well-built” how did the Corvette compare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

Coredump posted:

Keeping in mind the same feeling of “well-built” how did the Corvette compare?

As far as I remember the Corvette was perfectly "solid", better than average, but not "uncanny". I seriously hated Porsche for a long time, but I now always recommend that anyone that gets a chance to sit in a new one definitely should.