Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
I just heard from one of our outside salesmen that one of our contractors drilled through every single truss in a spec house he's building in order to run PEX. :wtc:

When we quoted a price of $100 per truss to fix it in situ, he became indignant, because, "I've done that in all my houses, and I've never had a problem." :psypop:

Pics to follow if I can convince said salesman to let me have them. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

One Legged Ninja posted:

I just heard from one of our outside salesmen that one of our contractors drilled through every single truss in a spec house he's building in order to run PEX. :wtc:

When we quoted a price of $100 per truss to fix it in situ, he became indignant, because, "I've done that in all my houses, and I've never had a problem." :psypop:

Pics to follow if I can convince said salesman to let me have them. :)

Wait, what? Is this going to be a finished attic or something? Why the hell would he do that instead of just tacking it up using talons?

e: Are you sure he meant trusses and not joists? (In which case, there are acceptable ways to drill joists...)

Farmdizzle fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 7, 2018

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ashcans posted:

You just have to train them to bring you tools and parts. Replace those block-in-hole toys with screws and bolts, they'll learn quick.

Not quite skilled enough, we are working on it.

Proteus Jones posted:

You can get a Border Collie to assist.

She's useless, she thinks she's a cat.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

FogHelmut posted:

She's useless, she thinks she's a cat.

Of course she is confused, you wont let her bark and dress her in peoples clothes.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

The kid took after the wrong parent in the looks department. I feel bad for her.

That's just natures way of making sure you certain people don't smash it with a rock because they think it's someone else's kid.

Also I take care of my niece and feel really accomplished for getting the roomba running to cut down on the most visible clumps of dog hair. Get an Ergo baby and learn to strap her on your back if you ever want to be productive again! (Beyond the whole raising a child without attachment-disorders thing)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

This is where I am. I have everything to redo our half bath except the energy. There is a softball sized patch in the wall that they did a terrible job fixing. It is the mesh is visible, unpainted, and has developed another quarter sized hole in the same spot because the prior owner didn't believe in door stops. We weren't concerned when we bought the house because we planned to redo the bathrooms but other issues took priority and then our daughter was born.

Bonus Baby Pic:

At least you know how to build a functional kid!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

JEEVES420 posted:

Of course she is confused, you wont let her bark and dress her in peoples clothes.

It's not a barking collar, we had been out front earlier that day and I didn't want her running into the street. It just makes a beep sound when I press a button.

You can blame my wife for the clothing.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

Farmdizzle posted:

e: Are you sure he meant trusses and not joists? (In which case, there are acceptable ways to drill joists...)

Nope.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Why wouldn't he just tack on to the tops of them

surely this way was more work

why

WHY

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Is there not code enforcement for this? We have specific building regulations about where and how much you can drill through beams like this.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

At the same time, I'm wondering why the water lines aren't in the foundation, like pretty much every other house I've ever seen.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Queen Victorian posted:

My fiance and I bought a Victorian (still working on a project thread OP) and while the house is generally rock solid, there's some superficial poo poo that just pisses me off. Let's do some multiple choice:

If I were the previous owner of a fine Victorian and I wanted to remove some main floor doors in favor of open walkways between rooms, what would I do with the unsightly notches in the door jambs leftover from the hinges? Would I..

A) Do nothing?
B) Glue in wooden shims and stain them to match the woodwork?
C) Smear crusty gray putty everywhere?

If you guessed C, you are correct:

I seriously don't get why this was done instead of nothing - it looks so much worse than just having the visible notches and screw holes. Now not only do I need to find additional solid wood five panel doors to replace the missing ones (also replace all the antique brass hardware that was on those doors), I have to chisel all this poo poo out and fix the crusted up woodwork so I can hang the new doors.

That looks like stainable wood filler that was never stained.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Darchangel posted:

At the same time, I'm wondering why the water lines aren't in the foundation, like pretty much every other house I've ever seen.
Doubles as a sprinkler system.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

oh no we accidentally hooked up the sprinklers to the hot water line ow ow

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

If the sprinklers are going off it's probably already quite hot.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

the ol' spicey sprinkler system

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

Jaded Burnout posted:

Is there not code enforcement for this? We have specific building regulations about where and how much you can drill through beams like this.

Yes. I'm guessing that's why he needs to have them fixed.

Darchangel posted:

This house is on a slab, for some stupid reason (Reason: it's cheaper). Why anyone would choose not to have a basement where it's possible is beyond my imagination. But, as I said, it's a spec house, so as long as it looks good from the outside, no fucks are given once it's sold.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Once while inspecting a building we realized the sprinkler guys had accidentally mixed up the main sprinkler feed with bone hurting juice. owww oof my sprinkler tree.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Baronjutter posted:

bone hurting juice

Is that a euphemism for hydrofluoric acid or something? How does one get "bone hurting juice" in a sprinkler feed?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's a meme. "Oof owie my bones."

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

A sprinkler blasting HF all over would certainly be something

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Get a baby carrier, strap that baby in, and start working with her on your back.

Strap that baby, make her screed! :dukedoge:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Buff Skeleton posted:

A sprinkler blasting HF all over would certainly be something

you'd need to use wax lines for it, which is great because the flames would melt them automatically

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Please keep us in the loop on the final outcome here.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Hmm I have this flexible tubing, 2 feet of clearance above the trusses, and it's new construction and I have all the access space in the world.

BETTER DRILL SOME HUGE HOLES

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

xergm posted:

Is that a euphemism for hydrofluoric acid or something? How does one get "bone hurting juice" in a sprinkler feed?

Why would you ask that here in one of the forums where posting memes is a crime? :negative:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/bone-hurting-juice

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I hope the electrical was hanging out above it the whole time too.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I know gang nails are much stronger than they appear but the 'workmanship' on that joint is hideous, notwithstanding the vandalism by plumber performed afterwards.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

One Legged Ninja posted:

Yes. I'm guessing that's why he needs to have them fixed.

This house is on a slab, for some stupid reason (Reason: it's cheaper). Why anyone would choose not to have a basement where it's possible is beyond my imagination. But, as I said, it's a spec house, so as long as it looks good from the outside, no fucks are given once it's sold.

Most houses in Texas are on slabs, and, amazingly, the water pipes are run through the slab. They can do that. You just have to, you know, plan ahead. Almost like having a plan or blueprints.
Maybe that's weird where you live, but pipes in the slab are pretty much the standard here in TX.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So since we're talking about supports and the cutting there of, I saw this posted to a group on FB, how bad is this?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ExplodingSims posted:

So since we're talking about supports and the cutting there of, I saw this posted to a group on FB, how bad is this?

That depends on the size of the tub.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cartoon posted:

I know gang nails are much stronger than they appear but the 'workmanship' on that joint is hideous, notwithstanding the vandalism by plumber performed afterwards.

The main problem with it is the upright 2x4 is poor: it's missing a half inch or so at the end, due to the board having a foot of live edge at the bottom.
Cheapskate builders don't want to pay a premium for higher quality wood, nor do they want to throw away a lot of rejects boards from a bundle, so they just use them regardless. The gap isn't actually going to make a huge difference in that truss, but it is ugly and if it were my home, I'd probably pay for better quality lumber.

ExplodingSims posted:

Those are engineered beams, and they're all ruined. They'll have to be replaced or the section of floor they're supporting is likely to collapse under ordinary loads.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ExplodingSims posted:

http://www.ahjengineers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Allowed-hole-charts-for-Trus-Joist-products.pdf

You'd have to consult a table to be sure, but those holes look real big and I'd be surprised if they're OK

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

The main problem with it is the upright 2x4 is poor: it's missing a half inch or so at the end, due to the board having a foot of live edge at the bottom.
Cheapskate builders don't want to pay a premium for higher quality wood, nor do they want to throw away a lot of rejects boards from a bundle, so they just use them regardless. The gap isn't actually going to make a huge difference in that truss, but it is ugly and if it were my home, I'd probably pay for better quality lumber.
Yeah, I think you got it: it's hard to see, but it's not an actual gap between the members, just a missing corner on the vertical one. There's still face-face contact there, just not the full 1.5" width. Probably like 1". I thought there was a full on gap in there, I think that's what Cartoon saw as well.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 8, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Most houses in Texas are on slabs, and, amazingly, the water pipes are run through the slab. They can do that. You just have to, you know, plan ahead. Almost like having a plan or blueprints.
Maybe that's weird where you live, but pipes in the slab are pretty much the standard here in TX.

Slabs are normal for any place that doesn't have to deal with frost lines or burst pipes.

Basements are for dumb snow-havers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

My former code enforcement self is causing me to spontaneously writing a stop work order.

This "contractor" is going to need to provide a serious financial apology.

ExplodingSims posted:

NO NO NO NO NO NO.

I don't even need to look at the tables to know that's permafucked.

Also:

Queen Victorian posted:

multiple choice:

A. THE CORRECT ANSWER IS A. WHAT THE gently caress.

B is fine if the are stained and completely dried away from the original frames. But that's a lot of effort for little gain.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 8, 2018

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Motronic posted:

My former code enforcement self is causing me to spontaneously writing a stop work order.

This "contractor" is going to need to provide a serious financial apology.

I was talking to a contractor the other day (totally unrelated field) and it’s 100% true what he said: an idiot can do more damage in a day than an expert can fix in a week.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

:golfclap:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

tangy yet delightful posted:

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Motronic posted:

Also:

A. THE CORRECT ANSWER IS A. WHAT THE gently caress.

B is fine if the are stained and completely dried away from the original frames. But that's a lot of effort for little gain.

I get the sense the previous owners, while not doing anything majorly bad to the house, didn't really appreciate it for what it was (a fine Victorian). They also didn't know it very well (despite having lived in it for about 15 years) - inspector found all sorts of obvious poo poo that was not in the disclosure that should have been. Was a huge contrast to this other old house we looked at and actually got to talk to the owner - dude had owned the house for 30+ years and had spent a lot of time unfucking the house from ill-advised "improvements" by the owners before him and had come to know the house like the back of his hand. For example, the previous owners had removed and trashed the pocket doors, so the current owner had covered the ravaged slots and damage with nice color-matched panels and added nice French doors on hinges. (I really wish my fiance had been on board with that house... I loved it but he hated it).

kid sinister posted:

That looks like stainable wood filler that was never stained.

Yeah that's my main theory - I've used pre-colored wood filler for gouges in my apartment floor (and no doubt will again after we rip out some gross carpeting from the upstairs rooms and need to fill in nail/staple holes), but the work is just so goddamn sloppy and rough. And in your face - it would bother me to the point of overcoming my natural laziness and doing something about it (or just not even starting). I understand the starting and never finishing though (but less so when the WIP state is such an eyesore) - happens to me all the time, and happened in my family home - we remodeled it when I was a kid, and there were unfinished bits lingering for a decade or more after we moved back in.

Oh man, speaking of the family home, I have some crappy construction stories to tell about it. I wish I had pictures, but all photos taken of it were on film and I don't have access to any of them and it was remodeledrebuilt in the 90's.

Anywho, the house was a shoddy summer house in northern California built around 1900. I don't believe it was meant for year-round habitation because even though it had a furnace and a Franklin stove, it had no insulation. In fact, it was single wall construction, which meant the exterior shingles and interior plaster was affixed to the same piece of wood. The only reason this worked for so long was because the climate was incredibly mild.

My great grandmother bought the house in the 20s and over the decades, added a bunch of lovely additions with flat tar and gravel roofs that ALL leaked. The dining room was an addition, and my dad had garbage bags stapled to the ceiling to contain the chronic low-level leaking and prevent damage to the dining room table. The additions were also crooked enough you could race marbles across the room. That reminds me - the house didn't really have a foundation - just footings and piles, and it was built on a steep hillside in earthquake country.

The interior. I guess the interior was nice a long time ago, but all the woodwork was hidden under countless layers of paint, the floor was gouged and scratched (when I'd do my coloring on the floor as a little kid, I'd capture the damage on the floor like I was doing an etching or something). There were bullet holes in some of the window panes. These were apparently left over from when my grandpa was a kid and had a beef with some bullies - they shot at the window with a BB gun. The kitchen had been updated in the 70s, which meant the floor was pumpkin orange linoleum and the appliances were avocado green. The carpeting upstairs dated to the 70s as well, and it was poo poo-brown shag. The single bathroom in the house seemed to have been last updated in the 30s or 40s. Was also tiny.

House was literally falling apart. One corner of the house had been completely taken over by ivy to such an extent that there was ivy growing INSIDE the house and had been for decades. My dad wanted to get rid of it but did not because he realized that it was highly likely that the ivy was load-bearing. Also one time we got home from something and it was drafty inside and leaves were on the stairs. My mom went upstairs to the main bedroom (which had access to an upstairs deck) and the deck door had been blown out of its (rotten) frame by a small gust of wind and was lying across the floor. Basically a ton of the stuff that happened in The Money Pit happened to my childhood home for real so first time I saw that movie it was like watching a documentary of that loving deathtrap of a house. Final straw was when my mom asked my sister's friend's mom why she always had the girls play at her house and never at ours, and she said it was because she was afraid our house would collapse with her daughter inside.

Then came the remodel - house was absolutely a teardown, but if we'd scraped it and built new from scratch, the zoning would have hosed up the house's placement on the lot and forced us to build on top of my great grandmother's huge mature garden (think priceless 80-year-old cut leaf maples and stuff) and limited the new structure to two stories (old house was three stories plus a sub-basement thanks to the hillside slope). So my dad, who is a crafty bastard when he needs to be, bamboozled the town council and "remodeled" the house, which was Ship of Theseus shenanigans to keep the remnants of the old house propped up (it completely disintegrated during partial demolition) until he built the new house around it. Town council is still salty about being bamboozled and it's been like 20 years.

That's the story about the house I grew up in.