Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Yoko Taro teamed up with a console hacking group to force the ps4 to overwrite the hard drive's partition table when the ending is finished?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i recommend that people who haven't played this game try to guess what the next bit is

9S really does get to kill them all

or

A2 and 9S team up to Yoko Taro for writing them such a miserable story

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Welp, here we are.

You better put your back into it and push all the way to the end, TDI!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Seshoho Cian posted:

Not only is it her sword, notice which arm 9S grabs it with.

"I live on, through this arm!"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Get owned 9ass

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if 9S meant to fall on the sword. He certainly didn't intend to live through this.

The uncomfortable, horrible pause of what is essentially a young traumatized man in agonizing pain bleeding out as he realizes that he's not going to get a poetic beautiful death the way he's obviously been building up to in his head?

That's the punchline.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Synthbuttrange posted:

Get owned 9ass
:emptyquote:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jetrauben posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if 9S meant to fall on the sword. He certainly didn't intend to live through this.

The uncomfortable, horrible pause of what is essentially a young traumatized man in agonizing pain bleeding out as he realizes that he's not going to get a poetic beautiful death the way he's obviously been building up to in his head?

That's the punchline.

This fits and I like* it.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It bothers me that the thing separating both endings isn't really your choice, but rather plot bullshit. Why didn't 2B stop A2 in ending C? Why does the character you selected as the winner accidentally impale himself after 2B's memories pull an ex machina? Why didn't the ark trigger in the previous ending? I know the answer is :yokotaro: but it's still a little bit disappointing.

The easter egg and the hacking of the ending are great stuff though. I'm half expecting a repeat of Nier's ending D, watching TDI delete all his months of hard work. Again. But that'd probably be too easy, it's probably going to involve one last really bullshit hacking minigame boss fight bullet hell rhythm minigame hybrid from hell first.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, Arkham Asylum was pretty obscure.

Remember that Wikipedia can be edited by literally anyone and shouldn't necessarily be relied upon. Batsman isn't a very well known character.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

My favorite bit about endings C and D is that in C, A2 compassionately and selflessly sacrifices herself to stop the railgun and destroy the tower, accidentally genociding the Machine race, and in D here kill-crazy hosed-up murder-machine 9S accidentally clears the way for the Machines to escape the cycle of vengeance and live among the stars.

YoRHa are fuckin' cursed to be fuckups, man.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

GimmickMan posted:

Why didn't the ark trigger in the previous ending? I know the answer is :yokotaro: but it's still a little bit disappointing.

Well, this one has an explanation at least; A2 hacked the tower and blew it up before it could launch.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

My favorite bit about endings C and D is that in C, A2 compassionately and selflessly sacrifices herself to stop the railgun and destroy the tower, accidentally genociding the Machine race, and in D here kill-crazy hosed-up murder-machine 9S accidentally clears the way for the Machines to escape the cycle of vengeance and live among the stars.

YoRHa are fuckin' cursed to be fuckups, man.

I dunno.

2E's pretty good at murdering 9S.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

chiasaur11 posted:

I dunno.

2E's pretty good at murdering 9S.

2E's like the pinnacle of android competence overall in this game

also: given her monologue in the beginning, shouldn't 2B killing Emil be the canonical ending, since he's responsible for preventing the aliens from just taking over and resulting in this ten-thousand-year-long war in the first place? (not to mention representing :yokotaro: visually in the first place)

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i recommend that people who haven't played this game try to guess what the next bit is

Either the game installs a save file for Nier if the player has no trophies from it or a download from PSN that will delete if the player decides to buy it.

Or a week of real time defragging the PS4's hard drive.

Or the real game begins and its a heavy metal themed RTS?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Title card drop.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
The final ending is the wreckage of the Machine Lifeform Ark transforming into a giant stubby man to fight the lunar Human Server (which is shaped like a huge Pod).

Platinum Gam[e]s

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Jetrauben posted:

That's the punchline.

Doubt he intended to go out that way, but pretty sure he was planning on taking himself out too at the end of all of this anyway.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

ManSedan posted:

The final ending is the wreckage of the Machine Lifeform Ark transforming into a giant stubby man to fight the lunar Human Server (which is shaped like a huge Pod).

Platinum Gam[e]s

Dammit, it’s going to be this, isn’t it

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Pascal already did the Platinum-mandated giant robot melee fight for this game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'll say this: ending E is the only time I've simultaneously laughed and cried at a video game

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Ending E is wonderful.

Also I was hoping you'd show off hacking A2's pause menu. Is it here or in her ending she screams at 9S to get out of her head?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
there's still one quest to be completed, 9S

don't you want 100%, 9S?

in your last useless breath

open your inventory

and eat the fuckening mackerel

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Zerilan posted:

Doubt he intended to go out that way, but pretty sure he was planning on taking himself out too at the end of all of this anyway.

9S: Can't even get DYING right, the gently caress-up.

I love Ending E, looking forward to this. People who haven't played this game and seen the ending themselves (seriously what the hell is wrong with you, go get this game now! I think it's still on sale on Steam actually) are going to love this poo poo.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

FeyerbrandX posted:

Or the real game begins and its a heavy metal themed RTS?

That's not Yoko Taro, that's Tim Schafer.

Though, the balls it took to hide an RTS inside what was advertised as a semi-open-world Rare-style action-adventure game is pretty on-par with some of the poo poo Taro's pulled (in both good and bad ways).

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This thread was so good about not pulling the "Oh my god you guys, I can't wait for you to experience []!" thing, too

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Also Childhood's End is a pretty good book but YorHa units don't look enough like Satan for the reference to work correctly, imo

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Wow way to spoil that Satan is the final boss.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

The real surprise is that we’ll be the ones playing as Satan

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Is this going to result in another deleted save game?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The real Devils are the friends we made along the way.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Either the game installs a save file for Nier if the player has no trophies from it or a download from PSN that will delete if the player decides to buy it.

That would be amazing if they gave you back your nier save file

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Wow way to spoil that Satan is the final boss.

this isn't hit indie game The Binding of Isaac though??

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Machine and Androidkind manage to put aside their differences, join forces, and make a real human, with a real soul, to restart hope for all life in the universe. This human is the man in the fighter jet who shoots down Caim.

How did he get in the past? We never know, that part of the dialogue is censored.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
People have been saying how good the voice acting is for 9S as he goes more and more off the deep end and they're right, but that death scene was really impressive, conveying not only the pain and horror of being stabbed in the gut but also the frustration as he realizes he's about to die like a chump after all he's been through. Without any actual dialogue. Extremely good stuff. What a weird compliment to make but there it is.

I have no idea what could possibly come next so I'm guessing this'll end with the ark carrying machine memories going into space and crashing into the ark from SOMA carrying human memories, destroying both of them instantly, roll credits, that's all folks :v:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The voice acting at the start of the fight was really good too, 9S just sounding completely overcome by emotion like he's simultaneously about to burst out crying and laughing.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

9S dying :stare:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Billzasilver posted:

The real surprise is that we’ll be the ones playing as Satan

Ah, so that's the twist! The fourth protagonist is Yoko Taro himself!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

That was super-uncomfortable in a game full of such moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

GimmickMan posted:

It bothers me that the thing separating both endings isn't really your choice, but rather plot bullshit. Why didn't 2B stop A2 in ending C? Why does the character you selected as the winner accidentally impale himself after 2B's memories pull an ex machina? Why didn't the ark trigger in the previous ending? I know the answer is :yokotaro: but it's still a little bit disappointing.

1) A2 was winning in ending C, so she had the luxury of aiming for the arm that was infecting 9S instead of trying to kill him as a last ditch defense. Hence, the guilt trip didn't trigger because she was helping him.
2) because 9S is an idiot.
3) the ark was active in ending C too, but A2 hacked into something (either the ark or the railgun) and triggered the self-destruct.

• Locked thread