Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I've been playing guitar for almost 25 years now (Viola for almost 21). My take is that, if you constantly discover new stuff to do with your instrument, poo poo never gets boring. For example: Since I'm a godless sodomite (aka a Lefty), getting violins set up as a lefty was hard as poo poo back in the 90's. Then, when my hands started to grow, I found myself feeling that the violin was just not doing it for me. So, one of my classmates from music school convinced the teacher in charge of the repair shop to set a viola left-handed and pushed me to try it.

BAM. That whole "One fifth below the violin" thing? I felt in loving love with it. Now, while I do keep a Violin with me, but 9 times out of 10, I play Viola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

To paraphrase David Byrne playing out of time is fine so long as the whole band is playing out of time together.

It helps if you assume the drummer is always right (even when he’s completely loving not).

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

kjetting posted:

You can also have a really original playing style with inventive riffs/grooves/lines that inspire other musicians. You can be really great at being exactly right for your band and their songs with your limited skillset, or at least have a great personality that makes up for everything.

jean-paul gaster from clutch is one of my favorite drummers precisely because of that, although he actually does have pretty good technique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G22m_Bu4SEo

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

massive spider posted:

To paraphrase David Byrne playing out of time is fine so long as the whole band is playing out of time together.

It helps if you assume the drummer is always right (even when he’s completely loving not).

Yeah that's what I mean by it not being too important if you can keep time perfectly without help, if everyone just listens to the drummer's time even if he/she isn't great the whole band can be wrong in the same way.

Also because you can always just have a strobe metronome around to stay on time, or if you're going for in ear monitors you can probably just mix a metronome signal into that, plenty of ways to help yourself out.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Exactly, this! It’s the worst thing and unfortunately the mindset gets celebrated in the guitar world way more than other instrument communities for some reason.

It is truly the ultimate stupid music poo poo.

Yeah, it's really dumb. A lot of people think that if you "learn too much" or whatever, then you automatically transform into a robot who physically can't play anything but Bach to a metronome. The same people who think this end up never learning to discover what their instruments can really do, and most of their playing time ends up being them locked into looking at the fretboard and spending their concentration on putting their fingers on the right frets, only to finally be able to play like 1 of 8 pre-baked phrases they've memorized.

Think of it like speaking. Would you rather have a full grasp of grammar and vocabulary so you can be in a position tell any joke or story or whatever you want? Or would you rather say "all that learnin' does is take away from what you really want to express in your heart maaan" while having to concentrate as hard as you can on simply forming the vowels and consonants required to speak that sentence?

I mean it's cool if you're Henry Kaiser and the only thing "in your heart" that you want to express can be expressed by just banging and stuttering around on your instrument like an ape for the rest of your life, but guess what. People who know their instruments inside and out can do that too, it's just that they can also do a lot more if they want.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 7, 2018

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

The Muppets On PCP posted:

jean-paul gaster from clutch is one of my favorite drummers precisely because of that, although he actually does have pretty good technique

He's pretty awesome, and the cool thing about him is that he just sounds really groovy and you don't notice how sick some of the stuff is until you start listening closely to the drums.

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah, it's really dumb. A lot of people think that if you "learn too much" or whatever, then you automatically transform into a robot who physically can't play anything but Bach to a metronome.

Everything bout this post is true. I mostly play in punk bands, but I will still practice playing classical stuff like Puccini's caprices or techniques like tapping or sweeping for variation when practicing at home. I'll probably never do full-on Malmsteen sweeping in any of my bands, but practicing the technique helps with my picking and hand coordination timing. It becomes a part of my tool box. I even think playing other instruments makes me better at playing the guitar and vice versa.

I think guitarists like Michael Angelo master Batio are what makes people think there's such a thing as too much instrument knowledge. When you hear him explain his technique he's also pretty cocky about it: "Yeah, I mastered the guitar and every technique at top speed, so I decided to also master everything at top speed on a left-handed guitar. After mastering that I decided to learn playing mirrored with my fretting hand above the neck and then with my arms crossed. I'm currently working on mastering all the same techniques with my feet" And then play some real silly and meaningless dual voice tapping polyphonies with a real serious face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ6oABxbSaM

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

GreatGreen posted:

:words:

if they want.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
There's a difference between "oh, ok this song's in F# minor here's the chords, follow along" and "here's my dissertation on why locrian is better than dimished in the cases of odd time signatures of the keys F B and sometimes C above 180bpm but below 195bpm."

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, one of those should get you tossed in a locker along with your instrument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZVdR19E5mU

Just kiddin'. I've been guilty of partaking in that modal conversation. :mmmhmm:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
There’s totally a difference. What I’m saying though is that learning more, or even learning a lot, doesn’t necessarily transform you into a nerdy autistic douche who can only think of music as a math problem, which seems to be the most popular assumption made by people arguing in favor of ignorance.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, those people that argue in favor of ignorance require to get an emergency operation of basebal bat to the knee.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

There's a difference between "oh, ok this song's in F# minor here's the chords, follow along" and "here's my dissertation on why locrian is better than dimished in the cases of odd time signatures of the keys F B and sometimes C above 180bpm but below 195bpm."

When you search the internet you can find some amusing things. Along those lines, I saw a paper some tool wrote about Chopin's preludes where he kept saying they resolved "incorrectly", lol.

Learning all you can, theory, harmony, technique etc. is all great and I heartily endorse it, but don't be that guy.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Also I just want to say Ringo is super underrated. Incredibly tight groovy drummer with personality in every hit. I’ll defend him to the death.

While we’re at it, Paul is a genius on the bass and was always doing sneaky awesome poo poo. Never got the appreciation he deserved purely as a bassist.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

He has an incredible sense of groove and can play in a way that enhances the feel of the sonf and shows a great sense of playing with musicians. Not just with Clutch, either - he did a weird one-off bluesy jam album with Per Wiberg under the name King Hobo a few years back, and it’s got some good stuff on it.

I’ve been on a huge death metal kick lately, and the thing that gets me about the drumming is that, while it’s often impressive from a speed and technique standpoint, there’s not as much of a groove so everything sounds too full. Hearing drummers do poo poo other than constant 16th bass drum hits is such a joy, especially when it sets up a proper groove.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Also I just want to say Ringo is super underrated. Incredibly tight groovy drummer with personality in every hit. I’ll defend him to the death.

While we’re at it, Paul is a genius on the bass and was always doing sneaky awesome poo poo. Never got the appreciation he deserved purely as a bassist.

Quincy Jones would vehemently disagree with you haha

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
this is what doing loads of (i assume) coke and actually applying yourself to playing drums can result in: 280bpm blast beats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abTGam8QIwo

Hedningen posted:

I’ve been on a huge death metal kick lately, and the thing that gets me about the drumming is that, while it’s often impressive from a speed and technique standpoint, there’s not as much of a groove so everything sounds too full. Hearing drummers do poo poo other than constant 16th bass drum hits is such a joy, especially when it sets up a proper groove.

Jamie Saint Merat from Ulcerate is one of my favourites for weirdly groovy poo poo, 0:40 is pretty rad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn7H_dRydJU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MrSargent posted:

Quincy Jones would vehemently disagree with you haha

Quincy is completely full of poo poo but I love him so he gets a pass.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
My favorite John Lennon-ism was when he was asked if he had Ringo Starr play drums on his solo album because he's the best drummer in the world. Lennon laughed and said that Ringo isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles.

That said, Ringo was the Beatle that was on more Beatles recordings than any other. I think a large part of it is personality. There's an ok documentary on Netflix about session musicians (I think its called Sidemen?) and it has a part where Rob Zombie was talking about how small the pool of great musicians with great personalities is.

As for the topic of people choosing to be ignorant about technique or theory, there's a difference between what one plays (cool song/sick riff/sweet scales), how one plays it (technique), and why (theory). Some people just do what they want and get the minimum technique to do it to a fulfilling degree. Some people don't question it. And this is all good, but being proficient in how or why doesn't change the what.

Although I did just express an everyone is right to enjoy their musical hobby their own way feeling, my personal pet peeve is when a person wants to record a song with others and cannot play to a metronome. Losing your sense of rhythm because a box is chirping at you bothers the hell out of me.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rifter17 posted:

my personal pet peeve is when a person wants to record a song with others and cannot play to a metronome. Losing your sense of rhythm because a box is chirping at you bothers the hell out of me.

i always took it as a sign that person never played along with songs

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

I think he got plenty of appreciation.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

i always took it as a sign that person never played along with songs

Yeah it's a separate skill that has to be learned. I worked with a few drummers when I was younger who were great at keeping time on their own but found a metronome so distracting that they just kinda lost their groove entirely. They learned eventually, but it was frustrating for a while. I think it's harder on drummers than on most other musicians, because a lot of guitarists and bassists learn their poo poo as "I play along with the drums" or "I play along with the drums and bass", while drummers who don't practice with a metronome or backing track learn "everyone else plays along with me".

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Your ability to play along with a metronome is not a measure of anything other than your ability to play along with a metronome. We tried click on a song in the studio because the recording tech/producer wanted to try a different tempo a few ticks slower than we had played it before, and the drummer found it really distracting and couldn't "line up" correctly with it. He's not a bad musician, he just hasn't rehearsed with a metronome. My sister in law plays in another band. She has played drums for a way shorter time, but instantly tacked onto the click. She has played other instruments and been a vocalist in the past, so maybe it's about being used to conforming to someone else (drummer/percussionist)'s beat.

I used to play drums in a few bands, I really sucked at it and my only real "skill set" was playing a fast d-beat and 16th note snare fills. But I managed to play along with a click for a recording session where the rest of the band couldn't make it so I had to record the drum part alone. Not chirps, though. I think we recorded a kick hit and a snare hit and built a click from those that I then quickly recorded a track of the guitar part over so that I had another instrument to play along with in addition to the click.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

I mean it's cool if you're Henry Kaiser and the only thing "in your heart" that you want to express can be expressed by just banging and stuttering around on your instrument like an ape for the rest of your life, but guess what. People who know their instruments inside and out can do that too, it's just that they can also do a lot more if they want.

Henry Kaiser does know how to play the guitar(he's released cover albums with like classic rock songs and stuff), he just doesn't want to play it normally most of the time because he's a free improv guy. On the other hand, if he just did free improv without learning guitar the normal way first, that would be fine as well. But most free improv guys are very skilled at their instruments so it's not really a great genre to use for this example.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
You could educate yourself about the instrument and music in general or you can buy an instrument that is ridiculous because you will never be able to master it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYnEmNzJNeM

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Groundbreaking design from PRS:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Hmmm yes, the classic Scatocaster.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
And for the low low price of only $2,300.

Seriously.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Finally those Samick Greg Bennett guitars that every pawn shop has but now at bluesdad prices!

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

GreatGreen posted:

Seriously.

:wtc:

a great usa strat is like 1/2 of that

a great mexico strat is a 1/4 of that

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
a benetton body and a david duke neck

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Clayton Bigsby posted:

What. Why. No.

Is John Mayer salty with Fender or something?

GreatGreen posted:

Like... isn't that in the ballpark of a Fender Custom Shop guitar? Or what the best US-Made Deluxe not-Fender Strat/Tele guitars (G&L and whoever that guy who relics Warmoth guitar kits and then sells them at stupid high prices) cost?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Wark Say posted:

What. Why. No.

Is John Mayer salty with Fender or something?

I think the idea was to make it similar to one of his old favorites, but gently caress. It's like going to Ford saying that you want them to make you a signature car based on your favorite 50s Corvette.

I'm sure it's finely crafted and a lovely instrument and all that poo poo, but PRS has some nice designs of their own and don't need to be jumping on the Stratocaster/Telecaster bandwagon most other manufacturers seem unable to escape.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It’s just before 11am and Henry Juszkiewicz is pacing in his office trying to think of some new ideas to save his company. He looks down at his right hand. It is filled with his own acrid poo poo. “Ah-HA!” He exclaims before hurling the whole steaming mass at the farthest wall. “Neon Green J45!!! Henry, you’ve done it again old boy!” He says before collapsing to the ground and pissing himself.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2018/J-45-Neon-Green.aspx

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
A neon green acoustic is only cool if it's played by a 90's guitarist fresh out of rehab and going on Unplugged. Even then only if they freshly spraypainted a beater from the pawn shop.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

You could educate yourself about the instrument and music in general or you can buy an instrument that is ridiculous because you will never be able to master it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYnEmNzJNeM

I knew what video that was going to be. What a loving tosser

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It’s just before 11am and Henry Juszkiewicz is pacing in his office trying to think of some new ideas to save his company. He looks down at his right hand. It is filled with his own acrid poo poo. “Ah-HA!” He exclaims before hurling the whole steaming mass at the farthest wall. “Neon Green J45!!! Henry, you’ve done it again old boy!” He says before collapsing to the ground and pissing himself.

If that were a <$400 Yamaha or Ibanez acoustic I'd buy that in a heartbeat but no way is that happening at Gibson pricing.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

You missed the funniest part.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
Ringo was the least over-hyped Beatle.

I've been playing some Beatles songs on bass, and I have a lot of respect for McCartney's bass lines. They are very well thought out.

A human heart posted:

But most free improv guys are very skilled at their instruments so it's not really a great genre to use for this example.

If I was ten (okay twenty) times as good at guitar and ten (twenty) times as creative, I would play like Joe Morris, or maybe Marc Ribot.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Actuary X posted:

Ringo was the least over-hyped Beatle.

I've been playing some Beatles songs on bass, and I have a lot of respect for McCartney's bass lines. They are very well thought out.

Definitely some great walking bass lines in there.

And yes, Ringo is by far the coolest Beatle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Actuary X posted:

If I was ten (okay twenty) times as good at guitar and ten (twenty) times as creative, I would play like Joe Morris, or maybe Marc Ribot.
For a few years, I worked as an engineer for Sara Valenzuela, and although the "work" part was always very... um, "lax" (mostly due to lack of money), but thanks to her connections, I actually got to meet Marc Ribot. Because back then I was a dumb twenty-two year-old, my first thought when meeting him was "Tweaky old gently caress". THEN I saw his guitar collection, AND THEN I heard him play.

:tviv: