Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Whatever weapon you have on your sentinels don't really matter. They never hit.

IE, take heavy flamers, they work very well with the screening/objective scoring role and completely avoid this problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Autocannons are my current go-to. 2 points more than useless multilasers.

Lascannons are good to draw extra shooting and occasionally hurt stuff, but are expensive.

Heavy flamers are good, but pricy. Good for shoving in people's faces.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Felime posted:

Autocannons are my current go-to. 2 points more than useless multilasers.

Lascannons are good to draw extra shooting and occasionally hurt stuff, but are expensive.

Heavy flamers are good, but pricy. Good for shoving in people's faces.

I really like the idea of having a pack of armored sentinels with autocannons roaming around the table making a nuisance of themselves. They're just fragile enough that allocating real anti-tank weapons to killing them feels like a waste, but just tough enough that they don't go down easily to small arms fire so I feel like they'd be just about perfect in a skirmishing role. Autocannons seems like the way to go there since they're flexible enough to hurt most vehicles but can still kill a few infantry models if necessary.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Missile launchers, I now have eight havocs with them. Are they as garbage as people claim?

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Well my order of Arco_flaggelents and Crusaders just came in, I thought they were metal but they are quite clearly resin. This is my first time working with resin, is there anything I need to know or things I should keep an eye out for? I have heard too many horror stories.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Missile launchers, I now have eight havocs with them. Are they as garbage as people claim?

They work a treat against T7 armour and below but cost as much as a lascannon which can effectively deal with heavy tanks. I like their flexibility but they aren't the best at either anti tank or anti infantry and you're paying a premium price for them.

4d6 frag missile shots from a Devastator squad on overwatch is freaking hilarious though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Ready for a dank new Badcast? No? Well too bad, because here it is!
https://40kbadcast.com/2018/03/07/40k-badcast-27-the-grundlehive/

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Foul Ole Ron posted:

You're basically paying for a generalist weapon when the best option is typically something more specialized. A squad with lascannons is obviously going to be better against vehicles, but worse against light infantry. If you're ok with that, rock the missile launchers. They may not be OPTIMAL, but they've still got their uses and will never lack for a target.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Speaking of GW's best model (Sentinels) I wrote an index review article on fast attack choices for Genestealer Cult

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2018/03/warhammer-40000-genestealer-cult-index_6.html?m=1

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Serotonin posted:

I'm thinking Aggressors with my Raven Guard using Strike from the Shadows is a thing

That would be fun. Especially if you also have plasma Inceptors.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
So after losing my local record magnus kill to him charging a bunch of grey knight paladins on the top of turn 2 and getting hammered to death after failing to accomplish anything I've regained my record by killing him at the bottom of turn 1.:getin:

I was kind of distracted being in a lot of pain and made exactly the same mistake I did last time of not sufficiently screening and it looked like i he was gonna charge my redemptor and murder it, but after casting every buff on himself for extra attacks a 3++ and -1 to hit then it rolled around to ahriman to cast warp time with his +1 to cast and he rolled a 1 and a 2, so he used his rerolls from magnus and a general reroll to get: another 1 and 2. So then it rolls around to my turn and magnus is in range of basically my entire army; my aggressors, my plasma inceptors, my hellblasters, my las repulsor, my redemptor and sergeant chronus in an auto/las predator, everything under a chapter master and a Lieutenant and i just pummeled him and pummeled him he lost 6 wounds to just the predator cannon until I had fired literally everything in my army and magnus was sitting there one 1 wound. He was going to get healed for d3 next turn and honestly still probably murder at least my redemptor so as a last ditch effort I threw the surviving 3 men from my nearest intercessors into a charge. He still had a 3++ and was still at -1 to being hit, but even so I roll, got 2 power sword hits 2 basic hits, wound and got a single power sword wound through and he chains rolls 2s for his save and loving dies to my original intercessor sergeant of the army. :black101:

In the end I spent the rest of the game pretty much clearing up with my only losses being all my troops choices, a contemptor dread and a librarian.

Artum fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 8, 2018

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Pendent posted:

Inceptors have by far the best synergy. Between The Red Thirst and Upon Wings of Fire they turn into this terrifyingly mobile unit with great shooting, decent durability and they're even ok in assault if you pick your targets properly.

Intercessors and Reivers are both great as well. Having your basic troop unit wounding T3 on 2's in assault will never not be funny and Reivers make great harassers. I'm particuarly fond of MSU with carbines but there's arguments for the knives as well, especially in larger squads.

Agressors are so good at shooting they're hardly a bad choice but there's not any particular synergy since they don't have fly so you really want to keep them out of assault.

Everything else is basically fine but there's not a particular reason to take them as Blood Angels instead of a chapter who's tactic is more focused on shooting (Dark Angels for Hellblasters etc)

Thanks! I'll keep this in mind.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Do you guys think that my "core" list would be better for BA, DA, or the SM Codex?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do you guys think that my "core" list would be better for BA, DA, or the SM Codex?

It's mostly mobile shooty infantry so I'd honestly think about Raven Guard or Ultramarines. Imperial Fists could be cool too

Pyrolocutus posted:

Thanks! I'll keep this in mind.

I'm happy to answer any other questions about Blood Angels stuff if any come up. I absolutely adore the codex and it's my only currently playable army so I know it pretty well.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

It's mostly mobile shooty infantry so I'd honestly think about Raven Guard or Ultramarines. Imperial Fists could be cool too

I still don't understand the appeal of Imperial Fists. What about them makes them not terrible?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I still don't understand the appeal of Imperial Fists. What about them makes them not terrible?

They're routinely the best looking marine army on the table :3:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Bring fortifications, murder poo poo with impunity with bolters ignoring cover until the enemy tries to charge you. Fall back out of the fortifications, then murder the gently caress out of the fortifications with the enemy inside. They'll lose more models in the resulting destruction, and you'll be effectively charge-proof with the bulk of your firepower.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pendent posted:

I really like the idea of having a pack of armored sentinels with autocannons roaming around the table making a nuisance of themselves. They're just fragile enough that allocating real anti-tank weapons to killing them feels like a waste, but just tough enough that they don't go down easily to small arms fire so I feel like they'd be just about perfect in a skirmishing role. Autocannons seems like the way to go there since they're flexible enough to hurt most vehicles but can still kill a few infantry models if necessary.

As the 1d4chan article points out (and I had never thought about this before) they don't have a descending table so they have to get killed dead.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

the Fists primarily recruit from the underhives of Segmentum Solar Hive Worlds, including Necromunda. So a certain percentage of Imperial Fists were Juvies on a Necromunda warband. 's cool

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

zeal posted:

the Fists primarily recruit from the underhives of Segmentum Solar Hive Worlds, including Necromunda. So a certain percentage of Imperial Fists were Juvies on a Necromunda warband. 's cool

On the one hand, that is p. cool. But on the other hand, they grow up to be Imperial Fists so how cool can it actually be?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Being able to dig stuff out of cover more easily is potentially really strong. Raven Guard or Ultramarines would probably be better overall but for sheer offensive power you might enjoy the Fists.

Schadenboner posted:

As the 1d4chan article points out (and I had never thought about this before) they don't have a descending table so they have to get killed dead.

That had occurred to me, yeah. I'm honestly beginning to consider working toward what could be described as a Tallarn Sentinel Spam list because it sounds hilarious to play.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Imagine if when the game started your opponent removed all of your cover giving scatter terrain, that's fighting fists/iron warriors.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schadenboner posted:

On the one hand, that is p. cool. But on the other hand, they grow up to be Imperial Fists so how cool can it actually be?

read the Beast Arises books

Imperial Fists are cool af

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

Imagine if when the game started your opponent removed all of your cover giving scatter terrain, that's fighting fists/iron warriors.

I now understand.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Painting is a lot more fun with a partner.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I now understand.

It would be especially good for you since basically your entire army would get that bonus.

Edit: I look forward to being able to do hobby stuff with my son but he's only two so I have a while to wait.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Painting is a lot more fun with a partner.

Thin ur paints, bro sis.
:goonsay:

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I so wish Rocket Launchers (never use the m-word!) were good because there are so many cool guard models for them. But (except maybe with Elysians who can't take LasCannon?) they're garbo.

:sigh:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 8, 2018

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
“It’s very strategic,” says Dimitri of Warhammer “40K”, which is his game of choice. “It’s 10-fold more complicated than chess.”

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
:britain:-goon question: I have a guy, he's a Brigadier, he's a Baron of a place named "Stamberry Hive", his surname is Z, given names X and Y.

He's styled: "Brigadier The Right Honourable The Lord Stamberry Hive X Y Z", right?

What would his household soldiers be called: "The Baron Stamberry's Own" or: "The Baron Stamberry Hive's Own" or: "The Baron Z's Own"?

:ohdear::hf::confused:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Schadenboner posted:

:britain:-goon question: I have a guy, he's a Brigadier, he's a Baron of a place named "Stamberry Hive", his surname is Z, given names X and Y.

He's styled: "Brigadier The Right Honourable The Lord Stamberry Hive X Y Z", right?

What would his household soldiers be called: "The Baron Stamberry's Own" or: "The Baron Stamberry Hive's Own" or: "The Baron Z's Own"?

:ohdear::hf::confused:

I'm amused that this is even a thing.

You don't use Hive in there I think.

E: the A-Z list of lords titles has a lot more real world examples too.

Artum fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 8, 2018

susan
Jan 14, 2013

SRM posted:

Ready for a dank new Badcast? No? Well too bad, because here it is!
https://40kbadcast.com/2018/03/07/40k-badcast-27-the-grundlehive/

Noooo, my tale of Malcador the Guidance Counselor didn't make the cut :'( .

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Artum posted:

I'm amused that this is even a thing.

You don't use Hive in there I think.

E: the A-Z list of lords titles has a lot more real world examples too.

Yeah well I also have to name the various detachments according to order of precedence when armylisting so, you know: :spergin:.

E: Now here's the real question: does an abhuman tank unit outrank a human infantry one?

:thunk:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 8, 2018

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Schadenboner posted:

Yeah well I also have to name the various detachments according to order of precedence when armylisting so, you know: :spergin:.

E: Now here's the real question: does an abhuman tank unit outrank a human infantry one?

:thunk:

Heavens no have you seen them? wretches all of them etc.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Ranking any abhuman unit above human one would be a terrible faux pas.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Ranking any abhuman unit above human one would be a terrible faux pas.

What if the tanks are Baneblades and the humans are Penals?

E: Hath not a Jew Squat eyes?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 8, 2018

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Schadenboner posted:

What if the tanks are Baneblades and the humans are Penals?

Then it begs the question of what is the culture and organisation of your hive and its military that has abhumans operating something as important as baneblades.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Artum posted:

Then it begs the question of what is the culture and organisation of your hive and its military that has abhumans operating something as important as baneblades.

Do you want to be the one to try to take them away?

E: Serious answer is that the Six Leagues Confederation provides a lot of important minerals to the AdMechs. :shrug:

EE: Cyclops habeo. Pecuniam omnem mihi dabis. :v:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 8, 2018

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

susan posted:

Noooo, my tale of Malcador the Guidance Counselor didn't make the cut :'( .

You're telling me! I even answered who the commissar is going to prom with.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Serotonin posted:

I'm thinking Aggressors with my Raven Guard using Strike from the Shadows is a thing

I do it. It's a cool move. Just tuck them away unseen in case you don't get the first turn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I gotta wonder if some of the new Daughters of Khaine stuff are gonna be retooled as Drewkhary stuff.