Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Maybe she thinks they'll expand to full size as they freeze?

I've got some ice cube trays that I use for specialized reasons (specifically, they make huge cubes that are perfect for my 64oz water bottle), but for normal glasses, I use the ice maker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Garrand posted:

Just got an email from Progressive saying I'll be saving 70 dollars on my next 6 months insurance installment because I'm such a good driver. Checking what the next bill is I get a little confused because it doesn't look really any different than my last one. I check my old statement: even with the "savings" I'll be paying 30 dollars more this time than last time. So without those savings they'd be charging me $100 more than just 6 months ago, a full 20% increase in my bill.

I'm the sole driver of a 13 year old car and average less than 5 miles a day. gently caress insurance companies.

Yup - about 6 years ago I moved into a new apartment complex that was about a 10 min drive from my old place. Same county, different city, and my insurance went up almost $130 every 6 months. I called them out on their bullshit and got them to reduce it back. When I’m driving a 10 year old car and literally nothing else but my address changes, you bet your rear end I’ll fight tooth and nail or go elsewhere.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Is it just me or has youtube drastically increased the number of ads lately? I used to be able to listen to a playlist and go through 5 or so songs before an ad, but now it seems like there is a 90 second ad between every single song. I always have to be like "this doesn't seem like music" and stop what I'm doing and click skip ad.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Time to turn on adblock. First it was an ad before the video played. Then they added ads halfway through videos. Then pop-up ads over the video you have to keep closing. Now it's just non-stop ads everywhere and the site is unusable.

There used to be the argument that blocking ads hurt channels because they got a bit of revenue from it, but now everything that isn't a huge company has already been demonetized anyway.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Is it just me or has youtube drastically increased the number of ads lately? I used to be able to listen to a playlist and go through 5 or so songs before an ad, but now it seems like there is a 90 second ad between every single song. I always have to be like "this doesn't seem like music" and stop what I'm doing and click skip ad.

Like half the ads actually are music and often longer than the content if you're not able to reach it to skip, so sometimes I'm like "why the gently caress is this lovely rock song playing in a reggae playlist" for way too long before I realize it's a romantic gum commercial.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The primo “this music seems not right” ad was the Ford truck ad with “Fortunate Son” except “Some folks are born, made to wave the flaaag...... OOOOOOH they’re red white and blue” was the only spoken lyric and everything else was instrumental

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

there's also Iggy Pop's 'Lust for Life' via royal caribbean and Of Montreal's 'Wraith Pinned to the Mist' via outback steakhouse. marketing types being myopic seems par for the course.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The primo “this music seems not right” ad was the Ford truck ad with “Fortunate Son” except “Some folks are born, made to wave the flaaag...... OOOOOOH they’re red white and blue” was the only spoken lyric and everything else was instrumental

Ram did the same thing with Chris Stapleton's song Parachute, they literally only used the first line "Street lights along the highway".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

InediblePenguin posted:

Ice makers take up space in the fridge that could be used for storing food and only work if you have a water hookup to attach to the fridge, which my kitchen lacks, but it's really hard to find a new fridge without the drat ice maker built in
I just realised why I've never seen a fridge with an ice maker. I'd never really thought about how such a thing would work and I guess I assumed you put water in manually? But now it also makes sense why Americans treat fridges like ovens (ie. leave them when they move and expect to find one waiting in the new place they move into) if they're actually hooked up to the water supply.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
My lovely FEMA trailer has a freezer attached to the water supply, and it is filtered water at that. Even shithouses deserve drinkable water in our country. No healthcare or a livable wage or a house to replace the one you've lost, but the water straight into the icebox won't kill ya!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I'm American and the fridges at the places I've lived have been about 50/50 on having ice makers but I'd really rather just use a tray and have the extra freezer space. Like, wtf are you doing on a regular basis that requires a constant supply of ice cubes?

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Thin Privilege posted:

Or you can have a constant look of anger and/or hatred and/or “about to murder you”. Then people always move quite a distance away. Works for me. (It’s not intentional, and people (who know me and thusly know I’m not going to kill them) always point it out and I have no idea why I look like that. I guess I’m just ugly :smith: or maybe :unsmigghh: ?

In a similar vein to this and the spiky jacket comment, if you're wearing huge, prominent knee-high boots (preferably black leather/faux leather [also chunk heel, not the dainty little 'sexy' spike heels]), people seem to just slide out of your way. And this is coming from an average height woman.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

fizzymercy posted:

My lovely FEMA trailer has a freezer attached to the water supply, and it is filtered water at that. Even shithouses deserve drinkable water in our country. No healthcare or a livable wage or a house to replace the one you've lost, but the water straight into the icebox won't kill ya!

Are you implying that not having your fridge connected to the water supply means you don't have access to potable water? The water coming out of my taps is perfectly safe to drink, it just doesn't flow directly into my freezer. I have to take the intermediate step of putting it into a tray and putting the tray in the freezer.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Tap water here is technically "safe to drink" in that you won't get any weird diseases from it but it definitely needs to be filtered if you don't want to puke it up 30 minutes after drinking it.

Filtered water is fine for cooking, bottled water for coffee or tea.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I'm American and the fridges at the places I've lived have been about 50/50 on having ice makers but I'd really rather just use a tray and have the extra freezer space. Like, wtf are you doing on a regular basis that requires a constant supply of ice cubes?

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-Iced-Tea-Maker/dp/B000M3BUVI

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Tap water here is technically "safe to drink" in that you won't get any weird diseases from it but it definitely needs to be filtered if you don't want to puke it up 30 minutes after drinking it.

Filtered water is fine for cooking, bottled water for coffee or tea.

Where is this? That sounds like a nightmare. Here the tap water tastes great.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Iowa, where all of the pig farms run their pig poo poo straight into the rivers.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

When companies post interesting looking jobs that you are qualified for, but when you read the job description it says wacky bullshit like "you should be a coding ninja" and need to "assassinate problems like James Bond" and I instantly know I'd probably hate everyone I'd be working for/with. Is it so much to ask to want a work environment that's somewhere in between flippant "hip"/modern style like that and soulless ultra-serious robots?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Man, I'd leap at a job description like that because at least it'd mean I might not wind up surrounded by 60-year-old conservatives who apparently can't wait to regale me with their opinions on "the Mexicans."

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Parasol Prophet posted:

Man, I'd leap at a job description like that because at least it'd mean I might not wind up surrounded by 60-year-old conservatives who apparently can't wait to regale me with their opinions on "the Mexicans."

I hope you like libertarians who can’t wait to talk to you about bitcoin

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Andrast posted:

I hope you like libertarians who can’t wait to talk to you about bitcoin

and also racism and sexism too

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Spent all week so far working with temp staff that can barely speak English, which is a pretty goddamn big hurdle when dealing with a lot of older, generally racist old folk.

Communication is key in this job and its getting pretty loving ridiculous how reliant on agencies we've become.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

InediblePenguin posted:

and also racism and sexism too

I did say they were libertarians

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I've been seeing these on facebook (until I had ublock zap them) and it's the worst kind of clickbait:

Actually it would be the worst if they found a way to put your friends or relatives on there, but this is close enough.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
One of my pet peeves about myself is that part of me can't stop myself from clicking on lovely clickbait sometimes.

Brain: You don't need to click that, dumbass. You know it'll be bullshit or stuff you already know.
Hand, fingers: Sorry! Can't hear you over our desire to know which celebrity has aged poorly, or what Full House star did something shocking recently! We'll be regretting not clicking on it for an unacceptable amounts of minutes if we don't!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is not clickbait. Bruce Willis died years ago and what you see in movies these days is a living flesh husk.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
there was a noreaster yesterday and the state closed the highways to tractor-trailers so of course we didn't get a delivery at work today and i wish our customers would be a little bit better at maintaining the difference between "annoyed at a bad situation" and "yelling about it at somebody who is not in charge of the weather nor the DOT's decision-making"

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Seventh Arrow posted:

I've been seeing these on facebook (until I had ublock zap them) and it's the worst kind of clickbait:

Actually it would be the worst if they found a way to put your friends or relatives on there, but this is close enough.

Since 2008, actually

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MisterBibs posted:

One of my pet peeves about myself is that part of me can't stop myself from clicking on lovely clickbait sometimes.

Brain: You don't need to click that, dumbass. You know it'll be bullshit or stuff you already know.
Hand, fingers: Sorry! Can't hear you over our desire to know which celebrity has aged poorly, or what Full House star did something shocking recently! We'll be regretting not clicking on it for an unacceptable amounts of minutes if we don't!

R/savedyouaclick is great for this, especially since now all that clickbait is 30+ slides so you view an obscene amount of ads.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

InediblePenguin posted:

there was a noreaster yesterday and the state closed the highways to tractor-trailers so of course we didn't get a delivery at work today and i wish our customers would be a little bit better at maintaining the difference between "annoyed at a bad situation" and "yelling about it at somebody who is not in charge of the weather nor the DOT's decision-making"

gently caress people who think employees should have the answer to their stupid questions. “Why don’t you carry X product”

Yup, I handle distribution for the company. I can totally explain why.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

The Black Stones posted:

gently caress people who think employees should have the answer to their stupid questions. “Why don’t you carry X product”

Yup, I handle distribution for the company. I can totally explain why.

This kind of bullshit has been cranked to the max at my lovely retail job lately. The store is closing in a few months on account of being in a rural region that, if possible, is far more dead and gay than these wonderful forums.

Every other customer is all: “WHY ARE YOU CLOSING?” The store isn’t making money. “IS THERE A CHANCE YOU WILL MOVE TO X LOCATION?” No. “I THINK YOU SHOULD MOVE TO X LOCATION.” Okay? And, my personal favourite, “WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?!” What are you going to do? What am I going to do? Piss off.

It might not bother me so much if they ever made a distinction between me as a person and the corporate entity that is the store itself, but they don’t. I am personally responsible for everything that does or does not happen and should know all the details.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
In the vein of stupid retail customers?

I do not work for this store. I am a contractor. My uniform is a different color than every store employee here, and it does not have the stores name on it. The only question I can answer is "Where are the restrooms?". Pay attention, people.

I posted earlier about shopping carts outside of stores? There were 5 outside of a store, I bought 2 in, came back out and some complete rear end in a top hat saw that I was bringing them in and left their cart outside. Didn't even see them, they were gone by the time I got out.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I want to know what if it's about this Web site in particular that makes it so some posts' font sizes are large and them the next post is teeny tiny itty bitty font size.

I swear this doesn't happen on news articles or other forums. Oh :radium:

I mean, this is on my tablet and phone. Desktop browser is just fine and readable. Though I guess it does make it fun. Some posts are really excited and are yelling!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just use the app

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its very annoying when people don't know how to have conversations and it feels like you have to drag out anything from them and lead them past just one word answers or vague non statements that have no descriptions or specifics. Its not that they are in a bad mood or not wanting to chat, its just how they are and how they respond normally. Not their fault per se but god it can be frustrating.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Takezio posted:

In the vein of stupid retail customers?

I do not work for this store. I am a contractor. My uniform is a different color than every store employee here, and it does not have the stores name on it. The only question I can answer is "Where are the restrooms?". Pay attention, people.

In an even stupider vein, yes I happen to be wearing a red shirt and tan slacks today, no I do not in fact work at this, or any, Target.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I wish I liked tomatoes. I've tried them sliced, fried, in sandwiches and wraps, as soup, but I just don't like them. It'd be a ton easier ordering a burger our wrap if I liked tomatoes. I could enjoy salsa and pico de gallo!

It's not even a texture thing, which is why I don't like potato salad or deviled eggs. I like the taste of deviled eggs, but there's something about the way they feel in my mouth that just isn't right. Potato salad is the same way, even though I like all the ingredients to it.

It's frustrating, being picky like this. I've tried these things over and over again, but I just don't like them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I take it that anything with tomatoes even in it, like Bolognaise, is off the table too?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

BioEnchanted posted:

I take it that anything with tomatoes even in it, like Bolognaise, is off the table too?

I'm okay with tomato sauces. Which I think just makes it even weirder. I'm not super crazy about ketchup, though. I don't mind it, but it's typically not the first condiment I reach for, unless I've got super hot fries (like, fresh out of the fryer and melting flesh hot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I kind of have a thing about tomatoes too yet I love them in sauces or chili or whatever. It's not a big deal though, the only time it comes up are burgers/sandwiches or in salads and you can just take them off. The only thing I'll always ask restaurants to leave off is pickles though because the flavor soaks into other stuff more than stuff like tomatoes.

I think it's important to distinguish between having food preferences and being the dreaded "picky eater". If it prevents you from even trying whatever the food is when presented with it in a different way, that's being a picky eater. If you keep trying new things and just happen not to like it because of whatever ingredient you don't like, that's normal. This isn't really directed at anyone, it just bugs me when people jump on you for being a picky baby for stating an uncommon food preference.