Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Paul MaudDib posted:

A 1060 is pulling in about $1.47 a day before electricity, $1.27 after electricity (at 0.16/kwh, for just the GPU). Bearing in mind that the rest of your system has its own idle power consumption, probably not worth tearing up your system for $1 a day (plus all the fees).

Looking up the kwh that my provider gives me (UK here) it's actually worth even less than that. Scheduled task it is. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fauxtool posted:

they are both hynix so something else must be at play. They were bought new at the same time but maybe had a different production date and bios version?

Place them in the same system and test em.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they originally were in the same system and the one exhibited the same odd behavior so thats why I separated them to check. It games fine so im ok with it.
The "bad" one is at work so i can only physically do things to it a few days a week so im mostly trying driver and software fixes through remote desktop.

I checked via gpu-z and they have the same bios. Its not a dealbreaker that it cant mine well since its for gaming and it does that great. Its stable in benchmarks and runs at the correct specs. I just know which one to sell first when the time comes.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 7, 2018

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Thats really weird.

hth :(

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I had to have the Bitcoin Talk talk with a client today. One of their tenants complained about something so we dispatched a tech over. Tech found a motherboard and PSU just sitting on a table with several XFX cards haphazardly connected using dangerous looking cables. He's billing him flat rate for power and apparently their bill is up $100+ from last year. He should kick the guy out, but I think he took the wrong message and will just bring in more miners and charge for power until the building burns down.

PSU was 1300W and I'm pretty sure that section is only wired for 15A.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

future ghost posted:

PSU was 1300W and I'm pretty sure that section is only wired for 15A.

15A is good to 1800W IIRC. And PSUs over 850W get expensive fast. Quality ones at least.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
the chances of a "1300w" psu actually being able to sustain that load are pretty slim.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

tehinternet posted:

15A is good to 1800W IIRC. And PSUs over 850W get expensive fast. Quality ones at least.

The rating on a circuit breaker is a peak rating. For continuous load you need to derate by 20% to allow for wire heating/etc, so a 15A circuit is only good for 12A on a continuous basis. At 120V that's 1440W.

You can get an electrician to install heavier wiring and then you can use a "100%-rated" breaker that will trip at 15A, but since you've got heavier wiring this is not hugely different from just installing a 20A circuit and using a standard 80% breaker. Which should make conceptual sense here - the wire can carry what it can carry, it doesn't care whether the breaker has "80%" or "100%" printed on it. But there might be slight differences in what is allowable under code for one vs the other. You'd have to ask Three-Phase what the difference is (edit: just PM'd him).

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

the chances of a "1300w" psu actually being able to sustain that load are pretty slim.

If it's a nice Seasonic or EVGA gold/platinum/titanium, yeah a 1300W PSU will actually probably go to 1400W or more before it trips out. And these days those are merely "high-end" models, the flagship platinum/titanium models are even more absurdly over-engineered.

If it's cheap Chinese junk marketed to miners, well, enjoy your house-fire.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 8, 2018

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I didn't know anyone made decent power supplies at that rating. That's... interesting. SLI isn't a thing anymore, so that means that if mining evaporates, so does the entire market for those things.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The rating on a circuit breaker is a peak rating. For continuous load you need to derate by 20% to allow for wire heating/etc, so a 15A circuit is only good for 12A on a continuous basis. At 120V that's 1440W.

You can get an electrician to install heavier wiring and then you can use a "100%-rated" breaker that will trip at 15A, but since you've got heavier wiring this is not hugely different from just installing a 20A circuit and using a standard 80% breaker. You'd have to ask Three-Phase what the difference is (edit: just PM'd him).

If it's a nice Seasonic or EVGA gold/platinum/titanium, yeah a 1300W PSU will actually probably go to 1400W or more before it trips out. And these days those are merely "high-end" models, the flagship platinum/titanium models are even more absurdly over-engineered.

Paul MaudDib posted:

You can get an electrician to install heavier wiring and then you can use a "100%-rated" breaker that will trip at 15A, but since you've got heavier wiring this is not hugely different from just installing a 20A circuit and using a standard 80% breaker. You'd have to ask Three-Phase what the difference is (edit: just PM'd him).

This is a good post and Three Phase is a good goon. Played DayZ with him back in the day.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I didn't know anyone made decent power supplies at that rating. That's... interesting. SLI isn't a thing anymore, so that means that if mining evaporates, so does the entire market for those things.

A good high-end PSU will dump an entire circuit's worth of power at 12V with nary a ripple. They are no joke.

Yeah, prices are already going nuts. I bought a 1300W G2 for $165 about 18 months ago for a build when I was suspecting I had power problems, nowadays they are over $400. I have a 5820K (can pull 200-300W when overclocked) and I had a 980 Ti at the time (350W) and I wanted to leave open the option of SLI (so up to 1000W actual load) while not stressing it out too badly. Apart from mining that's pretty much the only use for a PSU like that anymore - like if you went with a Threadripper or Skylake-X and dual-1080 Ti or dual-Vega build. Wouldn't buy it at the current price, I'd be thinking real hard about a 750W or a 1000W, but at that price I'm glad to have a super-PSU with a 10y warranty.

As such, I don't get why mfrs haven't already started catering to miners more here - nobody needs six strings of SATA and three strings of Molex on their 1300W PSU, give us a couple more strings of PCIe so we don't have to pull 75W through a SATA connector that's rated at 35W. SATA connectors are the cause of the vast majority of the rig-fires that I see on Reddit or whatever - it's actually safer to use a Y-splitter on PCIe 6-pin than to use SATA even if you are just plugging right in, just get the new risers with the PCIe plugs.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 8, 2018

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
SLI in the maybe future is partially why I've kept this 1050W Seasonic - that and it's really quiet at ~90% efficiency with the load I have on it. If I had to pay for it instead of getting it in a trade I wouldn't have though since it's completely overkill for me.

Actually their PSU may be less wattage than the tech reported as it's Gigabyte branded. Which is honestly even scarier for flammability given how many cards they have strapped to it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Bitmain expected to release Ethereum ASICs in April:

quote:

Bitmain, which has already been supplying mining ASICs for Bitcoin in the past several years and is one of the top-5 clients of TSMC, is ready to release ASIC products for mining the cryptocurrency Ether in April at the earliest. The products are expected to shore up the performances of related upstream suppliers including TSMC, Advanced Semiconductor Engineering (ASE) and Global Unichip (GUC).
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180308PD207.html

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I see you have discovered the Bitmain F3 leaked a month ago :monocle:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Risky Bisquick posted:

I see you have discovered the Bitmain F3 leaked a month ago :monocle:

Tbf digitimes is more respected than whatever crypto newsie site was posted the last time

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So this is basically going to crash the GPU market hardcore, right? Or will people just switch to some other shitcoin?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So this is basically going to crash the GPU market hardcore, right? Or will people just switch to some other shitcoin?

I actually just did the math on this and came up with the following guesstimates. Top 5 coins by market cap:
  • ETH: 9.5 million GPUs
  • ETC: 386k GPUs
  • ZEC: 1.08 million GPUs
  • ZEN: no data
  • BTG: 100k GPUs
(from Coinwarz, using 28 MH/s for Ethash coins, which is 570/580 performance, and 500 H/s for Equihash, which is 1070 Ti/1080 performance)

Obviously there is a tier of shitcoins below that but at a rough guesstimate, Ethereum makes up about 3/4 of the entire GPU-mining economy. So yeah, if ASICs push GPUs out of the Ethereum pool then there's enough GPUs there to quadruple the difficulty on every single other coin, ish.

In reality it's a little more complicated than that, because AMD GPUs are comically bad at mining everything except Ethereum (Polaris) and Cryptonight (Vega), so 10 million AMD GPUs is only equal to 5 million NVIDIA GPUs on most of the other coins, but that's still doubling the difficulty on every other coin. Also, as difficulty rose, a certain amount of people would cash out their rigs and so on, but it would not be a good time for profits.

My assertion is that ASICs should be no more than 5-10x more powerful than a general-purpose GPU on ASIC-resistant coins. On the other hand, if you assume that difficulty goes up by 5x then gross income goes down by 5x too, so a 570 (one of the most efficient cards for Eth) would go from making $1.53 per day before electricity to making $0.306 per day before electricity, and at $0.16 per kWH that would be $0.46 per day... so they'd be underwater. And while mining with Polaris or Vega on altcoins would be still profitable at current difficulty, they're so inefficient that they'd probably be underwater if difficulty doubled.

Early rumors had the Bitmain ASICs at 2.5-4x the efficiency of Polaris at Ethash. However, it could also be significantly cheaper to produce them, since you can use many small dies instead of one big die. So it's hard to quantify what the impact will be on difficulty, apart from "up quite a bit". It all depends on how many they produce and how quickly they hit the market, and how quickly GPU miners go offline.

In combination with NVIDIA potentially stockpiling for a new series of cards, and perhaps even a mining-optimized GPU series coming later this year... I think the smart money was on selling your cards a month ago and said as much at the time. It's probably not going to instantly crash when Bitmain launches, but it'll be downhill from there.

(now watch as Bitcoin prices quadruple and miners snap up every card for the next 6 months again).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 8, 2018

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
nicehash to coinbase withdrawals are back to .001 BTC, so my quest for mindless $10 amazon cards continues.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Tbf digitimes is more respected than whatever crypto newsie site was posted the last time

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2932282.0

It was originally leaked from a chinese website http://technews.cn/2018/02/12/bitmain-tsmc-dram/

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Point is, it is a second source, a little more reputable, and hopefully they did a little bit of independent verification (one can hope).

Yeah, that's the thread where I sourced the efficiency numbers. 650 MH/s at 750W is 3.7x the efficiency of a 570, or about 3.5x the efficiency of a 1070. Which is honestly just about where I'd expect a genuine Ethash ASIC to be.

The memory subsystem (chips+controller) of a GPU makes up about 10-20% of total power consumption, if you zeroed the power of the rest of the card you'd expect a 5-10x efficiency improvement. Of course you can't actually have a processor consume zero power, but ASICs can easily be hundreds/thousands of times more efficient, so you can get close enough that it's a rounding error.

The central idea of memory-hard ("ASIC-resistant") coins is that you can't really make the huge gains on memory performance like you can on processor efficiency. DDR3 is supposed to be a bit more efficient than GDDR5 on the small transfers that Ethash does, but it won't be 100x more efficient, I'd be surprised if it was more than 2x the efficiency, and that's a one-time gain. Maybe a little more if you went to DDR4 or DDR5, but not hundreds/thousands of times faster.

So, potentially still some gains for a couple more generations of ASICs to squeeze out, but it sounds about right for a first-gen ASIC on an ASIC-resistant algorithm. The bigger question is how Vitalik would respond... tweak the algorithm a bit to break the ASICs? It'd be a pain for miners, but it'd kill this generation of ASICs, at least. Speed up epochs so they hit the 4 GB barrier? That would break the current generation of ASICs but it would also screw anybody with 290s, 570/580 4 GBs, 1060 3 GBs, etc, and there's nothing stopping Bitmain from releasing an 8 GB version.

Some altcoins have proposed switching algos regularly, but it would have to be done on short notice to keep Bitmain from implementing them ahead of time, which would become a logistical nightmare (and effectively a form of centralization). And Bitmain can always just mine in-house and not tell anyone, so it would have to be done regularly and often, not ad-hoc.

If true, it's put-up-or-shut-up time for Vitalik on Proof of Stake. Proof of Work is inherently vulnerable to ASICs once it reaches a certain size and it becomes profitable to make ASICs. He's years behind schedule and has no progress to show for it.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 9, 2018

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
My work gave me a 200 dollar budget for a new power supply and the 1000 watt EVGA P2 was 199.99 at the time, it seemed fated. I was running SLI, but now it's a 1000 watt PSU running a single 1080 and a 5820K.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

I actually just did the math on this and came up with the following guesstimates. Top 5 coins by market cap:
  • ETH: 9.5 million GPUs
  • ETC: 386k GPUs
  • ZEC: 1.08 million GPUs
  • ZEN: no data
  • BTG: 100k GPUs
(from Coinwarz, using 28 MH/s for Ethash coins, which is 570/580 performance, and 500 H/s for Equihash, which is 1070 Ti/1080 performance)

Obviously there is a tier of shitcoins below that but at a rough guesstimate, Ethereum makes up about 3/4 of the entire GPU-mining economy. So yeah, if ASICs push GPUs out of the Ethereum pool then there's enough GPUs there to quadruple the difficulty on every single other coin, ish.

In reality it's a little more complicated than that, because AMD GPUs are comically bad at mining everything except Ethereum (Polaris) and Cryptonight (Vega), so 10 million AMD GPUs is only equal to 5 million NVIDIA GPUs on most of the other coins, but that's still doubling the difficulty on every other coin. Also, as difficulty rose, a certain amount of people would cash out their rigs and so on, but it would not be a good time for profits.

My assertion is that ASICs should be no more than 5-10x more powerful than a general-purpose GPU on ASIC-resistant coins. On the other hand, if you assume that difficulty goes up by 5x then gross income goes down by 5x too, so a 570 (one of the most efficient cards for Eth) would go from making $1.53 per day before electricity to making $0.306 per day before electricity, and at $0.16 per kWH that would be $0.46 per day... so they'd be underwater. And while mining with Polaris or Vega on altcoins would be still profitable at current difficulty, they're so inefficient that they'd probably be underwater if difficulty doubled.

Early rumors had the Bitmain ASICs at 2.5-4x the efficiency of Polaris at Ethash. However, it could also be significantly cheaper to produce them, since you can use many small dies instead of one big die. So it's hard to quantify what the impact will be on difficulty, apart from "up quite a bit". It all depends on how many they produce and how quickly they hit the market, and how quickly GPU miners go offline.

In combination with NVIDIA potentially stockpiling for a new series of cards, and perhaps even a mining-optimized GPU series coming later this year... I think the smart money was on selling your cards a month ago and said as much at the time. It's probably not going to instantly crash when Bitmain launches, but it'll be downhill from there.

(now watch as Bitcoin prices quadruple and miners snap up every card for the next 6 months again).

The number of new altcoins is unrestricted and I expect gpu mining will continue to be barely profitable so long as idiots continue shoveling money into the cryptocurrency markets. ASICs in Ethereum will drive up the difficulty of a bunch of altcoins but then I think people will just make new ones

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So you’re saying buy the dip on graphics cards?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

People will still try to overclock Skylake-X.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So you’re saying buy the dip on graphics cards?

Thats what it sounds like

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Paul MaudDib posted:

So, potentially still some gains for a couple more generations of ASICs to squeeze out, but it sounds about right for a first-gen ASIC on an ASIC-resistant algorithm. The bigger question is how Vitalik would respond... tweak the algorithm a bit to break the ASICs? It'd be a pain for miners, but it'd kill this generation of ASICs, at least. Speed up epochs so they hit the 4 GB barrier? That would break the current generation of ASICs but it would also screw anybody with 290s, 570/580 4 GBs, 1060 3 GBs, etc, and there's nothing stopping Bitmain from releasing an 8 GB version.

Depending on the exact algo the coin is using, you can design hardware that's substantially more efficient than a general purpose CPU/GPU. Fixed function blocks for each crypto function, absurdly parallel memory, like 24 or 32 channels, all with a 1 gbit chip at the other end, etc. Tease out all the bottlenecks in the design, then make 10,000 of them a month for 3 months.

Even memory-hard algos are easy enough if you rejigger the entire memory subsystem to be as efficient as possible. All you have to be is 5x as efficient as the GPU/CPU miner guys before you win by default, which isn't that hard with LPDDR3/4.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Baikal has a cryptonight ASIC out. Efficiency works out to 9.73x as efficient as Vega 56.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

Baikal has a cryptonight ASIC out. Efficiency works out to 9.73x as efficient as Vega 56.

Isn't there also an Ethereum ASIC on the way too? Between Ethereum and Cryptonight that's like 90-ish percent of the GPUs in the global hash pool.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kazinsal posted:

Isn't there also an Ethereum ASIC on the way too? Between Ethereum and Cryptonight that's like 90-ish percent of the GPUs in the global hash pool.

Fake news, everyone knows that it's impossible to make a chip that processes Ethereum or Cryptonight, which is why all cryptomining is done with a pen and paper, idiot :rolleyes:

(see also: "surely they will be able to invent enough random shitcoins to absorb 90% of the GPUs on the market, God is dead and Santa isn't real and in the grimdark future we will all be gaming on consoles")

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Wuh oh

so we're starting our own buttcoin right

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

1gnoirents posted:

Wuh oh

so we're starting our own buttcoin right

This is not the first time the thread has contemplated a GoonCoin pump and dump ICO

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Ok i made 1000 GoonCoins by hand in excel all unique numbers can never be scammed because I have the master list. $100 each, pm me

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

1gnoirents posted:

Ok i made 1000 GoonCoins by hand in excel all unique numbers can never be scammed because I have the master list. $100 each, pm me

Sorry I forked (copy pasted) your fake coin into the true GoonCoin which is now known as GBSCoin and holds true to the principles Lowtax set before us in 1999

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

this is bullshit!!!!!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

This is good for GoonCoin.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

1gnoirents posted:

this is bullshit!!!!!

Just hodl, man. FYADCoin won't be a real threat to GoonCoin, Radium has told us he has a 4-point plan to ensuring future profitability for everyone.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

If you’re interested in decentralized load bearing drywall futures, I’ve found that GroverCoin is the way to go.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

This is a good thread. All my 5's.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
All the LowTax's financial issues would be solved if he just reminded the site SomethingCrypto.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Shitposting AI on the blockchain.

• Locked thread