Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caufman
May 7, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

FYI both him and mom are safe and sound!

Pics or visual descrptions, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
So I'm helping teach a woman at my church German. She's a Tatar who speaks Russian, English, and Spanish. Her daughter married a Turkish man from Germany, and she wants to speak to her new son-in-law. :3:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Caufman posted:

Pics or visual descrptions, please.

Descriptions:
1 healthy baby boy 7lbs 14oz; 23 in long. Super cute and full of poop. He has this head of crazy old man hair and we love it.
1 equally healthy wife. Also super cute, but not as full of poop.

Content: our priest came to the hospital today and did the prayers for childbirth which was really nice. When he comes and does prayers at our home or whatever I never know if I'm supposed to participate in the parts I know or just let him pray. This time I erred on the side of mumbling something resembling prayer.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

Descriptions:
1 healthy baby boy 7lbs 14oz; 23 in long. Super cute and full of poop. He has this head of crazy old man hair and we love it.
1 equally healthy wife. Also super cute, but not as full of poop.

Keep it funky, my brother. We are all born between urine and feces, and that's just how it is on this funk of an Earth.

Slimy Hog posted:

Content: our priest came to the hospital today and did the prayers for childbirth which was really nice. When he comes and does prayers at our home or whatever I never know if I'm supposed to participate in the parts I know or just let him pray. This time I erred on the side of mumbling something resembling prayer.

Escalation spotted.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

-

pidan fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 13, 2018

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

-

pidan fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 13, 2018

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Well, I like Ben-Hur, but it's debateable on the historical veracity front. As far as versions go, I the film nerd prefer the silent-movie version from the 1920s, but it's a silent movie so ymmv.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
People liked Silence but I haven't seen it yet

*is that too late period? The church I work for is watching Last Days in the Desert, the Obi Won Kenobi story and people are enjoying it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

CountFosco posted:

Well, I like Ben-Hur, but it's debateable on the historical veracity front. As far as versions go, I the film nerd prefer the silent-movie version from the 1920s, but it's a silent movie so ymmv.

follow up: hail, caesar

the mission is really good too, although it plays pretty fast and loose with history

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
do a religion, sing a music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgWm047RU7E

(this group of people have a bunch of stuff on youtube, if you want to hear what shapenote singing sounds like when it's not sung at top volume by a hundred people)

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Hail Caesar is actually really, really good, and actually very thoughtful theologically. The orthopriest featured in it was, I thought, quite a flattering portrayal of an orthopriest. The Doctor from Voyager makes a very good Rabbi.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJEiDRi4Itc

e: i only just got that the company is literally "capital"

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Although watching it now, I did cringe a little when he called what I would imagine to be a Metropolitan "Patriarch."

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Spotted in the historical fun facts thread:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

pidan posted:

Yesterday I watched the movie RISEN with my unchurched nbfriend, and we both really enjoyed it. Are there some similar movies you can recommend?
Criteria:
- about the bible or early / historical Christianity
- theologically in line with dogma
- entertaining to watch, maybe in the style of a normal mainstream movie, but I'll try other styles if they're good

Apparently reviewers generally found RISEN :mediocre: and it's true that the second half gets a bit preachy. But our standards aren't that high.

I enjoyed the TV show 'AD: Kingdom and Empire' which is historically a mess but is a p good dramatisation of Acts if you're into that sort of thing. It's probably terrible in a million ways but I liked it.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

StashAugustine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJEiDRi4Itc

e: i only just got that the company is literally "capital"

I laughed more than once.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Senju Kannon posted:

it’s a rare religion that has both nuns and transgender nuns

one might say there are none

edit: i mean MAYBE tibetan buddhism or theravada, and you could try zen but let’s be honest american zen sucks. definitely tendai or shingon might but you’d have to learn japanese, at least jlpt 1 level and i’m jlpt 4 at best

I'm 95% certain that there are at least some Hindu ladies-only holy orders that are fine with transgender* individuals.

* - i am slightly less certain about whether the exact classification of the transgender individual would be adequately close to, well, transgender as such; there's at least a lot of third-gender sort of stuff in various Hindu traditions, and a shitload of "I'm a dude, but seeking enlightenment by emulating the lover of a god who is also a dude", but I mean, it's Hinduism, there's gotta be some overlap somewhere

That second option really is surprisingly common along the intensely religious, lots of people have Rama or Krishna as a Fantasy Husbando.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i don't want to count any chickens before they hatch, but if things go as hoped i will be an uncle soon. and today, i was asked to be a godparent!! now i feel a large amount of responsibility

does anyone have some good things to read? the baby will likely be baptized Catholic, but my brother didn't convert so the kid will probably also be raised with some Lutheran influence too

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GreyjoyBastard posted:

That second option really is surprisingly common along the intensely religious, lots of people have Rama or Krishna as a Fantasy Husbando.
extremely emotional catholics (but i repeat myself) of all genders will do this with christ as well. there are also male saints who imagined the wound in christ's chest was a breast and that they were nursing from it

Caufman
May 7, 2007

System Metternich posted:

Spotted in the historical fun facts thread:

Someone is taking the call to get butts in pews too far.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

This is what happens when they introduce guitar playing pastors!!!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Calvinist dog corrects owner: No one is a good boy.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

pidan posted:

Are there some similar movies you can recommend?

The Robe is worth seeing and was pretty influential in its time. Not as classic as Ben-Hur but better than most from that era when whitewashed biblical dramas were a dime a dozen.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

pidan posted:

Yesterday I watched the movie RISEN with my unchurched nbfriend, and we both really enjoyed it. Are there some similar movies you can recommend?
Criteria:
- about the bible or early / historical Christianity
- theologically in line with dogma
- entertaining to watch, maybe in the style of a normal mainstream movie, but I'll try other styles if they're good

Apparently reviewers generally found RISEN :mediocre: and it's true that the second half gets a bit preachy. But our standards aren't that high.

Zeffereli's Jesus of Nazareth was pretty good. It's long, though....it's a miniseries more than a movie.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

For an unconventional look at the passion, you could always check out Pasolini's "La Ricota."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMNZLBBuZFY

Hope you know italian or french!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Pasolini also directed the best straight adaption of the Gospels: The Gospel According to St. Matthew, which even made it on the Vatican's list of recommended films. Ironic in a way, since the man was an avowed atheist.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CountFosco posted:

For an unconventional look at the passion, you could always check out Pasolini's "La Ricota."

For a moment I got confused and wondered what a nice mild cheese had to do with the death of Christ.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GreyjoyBastard posted:

For a moment I got confused and wondered what a nice mild cheese had to do with the death of Christ.

we can hardly expect a hindu to believe in cheesus

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

Pasolini also directed the best straight adaption of the Gospels: The Gospel According to St. Matthew, which even made it on the Vatican's list of recommended films. Ironic in a way, since the man was an avowed atheist.

I watched part of that in church once. The pastor and I had a bit of a chuckle about it given the other things Pasolini has directed.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
How do you guys handle interfaith, interdenominational, or faithful vs faithless relationships? Catholics, was it a point of contention that the non-Catholic had to agree to raise the children Catholic? Is anyone in a marriage with a non baptized person? What are the rules for that? What’s the dynamic of dating a non-believer or even atheist?

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Fun bit of trivia - in the film, Philip is played by a young Giorgio Agamben (yes, that one).

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Saint Oscar Romero.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/03/07/591644491/salvadoran-archbishop-oscar-romero-gunned-down-in-1980-will-become-a-saint

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

:dance: San Romero, pray for us!

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

this is great news, can't wait for all the conserative catholics who hated romero to have to pretend they always liked him now that he's a saint

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Fun bit of trivia - in the film, Philip is played by a young Giorgio Agamben (yes, that one).

wait WHAT

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Thirteen Orphans posted:

How do you guys handle interfaith, interdenominational, or faithful vs faithless relationships? Catholics, was it a point of contention that the non-Catholic had to agree to raise the children Catholic? Is anyone in a marriage with a non baptized person? What are the rules for that? What’s the dynamic of dating a non-believer or even atheist?

I'm a liberal Christian, my wife is an atheist. We don't really discuss it 99% of the time. We respect each other's beliefs and leave it at that.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

Watching his films, one gets the sense that his personal beliefs were probably a bit more nuanced than a simplistic "atheist" label can describe.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm a liberal Christian, my wife is an atheist. We don't really discuss it 99% of the time. We respect each other's beliefs and leave it at that.

This is all you need.

Oh, and actually discuss poo poo like how to raise the kids ahead of time instead of just assuming your spouse will be cool with whatever you're planning.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

HEY GUNS posted:

wait WHAT

Sure. It's how I usually think of him, primarily an actor who played bit parts who then went on to write some things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

can i plz get some godparenting advice :mad:

• Locked thread