Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah but that's kind of the core criticism. There exists a +2 starbase technology and it's tier 1. You get +4 from an Ascension Perk! Like Baronjutter says every perk really ought to feel game changing and incredible and be something that will the driving force behind differentiating empires from each other.

I'd junk the +10% research speed into enigmatic engineering. I'd remove the first tier of psionics entirely because all it loving does is give you 2-3 psionic leaders before you get to the next step, compare that to cybernetics which gives every leader a strong bonus and 20% habitability to all your pops. Half the ascension perks are just plain boring if not entirely shite.

How do you rate tradition tree opener/finishers? Curious because like Nevets said research has a +5% that you get even faster than +2 starbases, and people are all about taking the +10% perk. Which is .. kind of less than finishing the discovery tree (you get 10% + something).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for all the perks to actually be interesting, but it isn't exactly "shite". There are several that are more situational, but even the one that I think is actually poo poo (+5 core worlds) I accept that it exists for people who hate sectors. Even one vision has a solid place in some setups, along with interstellar dominion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Lum_ posted:

The Krenim don't have any specific events which is fine because they are the race that start closest to the Borg so they are eaten first.

They do start access to some really powerful temporal technologies though. They literally start with the only large fire rate improvement tech. Which is also the end game fire rate improvement tech. And each use of the equipment is basically using a dangerous tech in the field. And though they have a reduced chance for it to go haywire (They have a civic/trait that means that they're basically the only empire that can use temporal technologies on a small scale without knowing that it's gonna gently caress them over in at least some small way down the line.) they also have an increased chance to get more and more temporal technologies as time goes on. So if the Krenim are smart and set up a colony towards the galactic center/away from the Borg or are just tenacious enough to survive poo poo can potentially go down on their end of the galaxy given enough time. Which is fitting with the Year of Hell episode of Star Trek that they showed up in.

I don't know if they get a buff or something but from personal experience the AI for the Krenim can also be insanely tenacious. I once saw the Krenim get involved in an absolutely brutal 20-30 year long interstellar war with the Borg starting from maybe 15 years after the start of the game. We're talking, every ship lost repeatedly only for them to fling more fleets at the Borg while colony ships tried to flee the region to the south-west in an attempt to outrace the never-ending incursion of probes and spheres. The Borg just ground them down with probe after probe being thrown at them until the collective's superior production capabilities and a lucky pyramid research tech won out against the Krenim's increasingly frenzied war effort. Leaving the Krenim trapped on their planets waiting for them to be scooped and assimilated one by one as the resources became available for the Borg to do it.

That's when I sent that 12k Federation fleet I mentioned clear across the galaxy to police the region and guard their last planet capable of building a shipyard. All while funneling them minerals until they could start building ships again. Which took a bit since by that point their homeworld had been assimilated. Because after watching that go down I was not letting the Borg get near my empire in that game. Even with a massive tech advantage they ripped apart many of my smaller ships like tissue paper. I ended up using the Krenim as a sort of back-water, post apocalyptic, and utterly time hosed buffer state to ensure the rest of the galaxy's safety.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 7, 2018

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

ZypherIM posted:

How do you rate tradition tree opener/finishers? Curious because like Nevets said research has a +5% that you get even faster than +2 starbases, and people are all about taking the +10% perk. Which is .. kind of less than finishing the discovery tree (you get 10% + something).

It's kind of different, isn't it? Like, faster science means more bigger better everything, and it snowballs. And you can't ever have enough science. Every little scrap is useful.

Starbases... motherfucker, I have forty starbases and I probably only need half of them.

(I do think the research perk is kinda eh)

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

ZypherIM posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for all the perks to actually be interesting, but it isn't exactly "shite". There are several that are more situational, but even the one that I think is actually poo poo (+5 core worlds) I accept that it exists for people who hate sectors. Even one vision has a solid place in some setups, along with interstellar dominion.

It's a question of marginal utility. You tend to have a handful of Really Important Starbases, and then everything else is just energy or anchorages. +4 starbases is only as good as your 4 least useful starbases. On the other hand, every point of tech is exactly as good as every other point of tech. +10% research speed is good because it's another unique stacking bonus to something that you can never have enough of. Even minerals and energy have stockpile limits, so eventually it stops mattering if you're at +500 or +550 minerals. But since tech points just keep making your techs faster without any cap or diminishing returns, you want to stack every bonus you can find.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I was comparing the effect you're getting from a perk versus a tech or tree opener/finisher. The perk seems weighted at x2 what the tech gives, and in-line with a tree finisher/opener (10% research, +2 starbases and -20% upgrade cost).

Once you've got 40 starbases you've got like what, half the galaxy? You're already into victory lap territory at that point.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

ZypherIM posted:

Once you've got 40 starbases you've got like what, half the galaxy? You're already into victory lap territory at that point.

Even at 600 stars it's only like a quarter. But the point is true at half the station count:

Kaza42 posted:

It's a question of marginal utility. You tend to have a handful of Really Important Starbases, and then everything else is just energy or anchorages. +4 starbases is only as good as your 4 least useful starbases.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah alright the research speed perk isnt bad, it's just boring. There's a mod that adds extra utility to void borne and let's you build specialized orbital habitats around certain planet types. Sun's get a power focused habitat, molten planets get mining, etc. Mods go a long way to keeping the game engaging for me to the point where I give up one hour into an achievement run every time and just add mods.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

You could also think of +4 starbases as an eventual increase to Naval Cap equal to whatever number of anchorages that is. Or a boost to energy, if you go trading posts instead.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

+4 star bases seems most useful in higher density non-spiral galaxies, but, in that case, wouldn't +6 or +8 make waaaay more sense?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
You know, I was thinking that Tomb World starts had a weird / low resource allocation.

so obviously the solution is to buff one of the best traits :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

GotLag posted:

Colours:

I know that mods exist. I just don't think I should need them when colors could be four sliders for Red, Green, Blue, and Luminosity.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
+10% Research Speed ascension perk is probably the best example of something that is mechanically very strong but also a bad and boring perk.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I know that mods exist. I just don't think I should need them when colors could be four sliders for Red, Green, Blue, and Luminosity.

CMYK for life.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

You could also think of +4 starbases as an eventual increase to Naval Cap equal to whatever number of anchorages that is. Or a boost to energy, if you go trading posts instead.

You can only do a trading post if it's in a system that you've colonized (which IIRC gets you an additional starbase anyway) or that has a trader enclave. So it's really just an additional naval cap or for border outposts on enemy empires.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hey now, that's a 4 letter word in Paradox land.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Voyager I posted:

+10% Research Speed ascension perk is probably the best example of something that is mechanically very strong but also a bad and boring perk.

Yeah I always take it as my first pick, both mechanically and thematically as a fanatic materialist. Always running around min/maxing research. But it's boring, I've already declared my society is specially focused on research by picking fanatic materialist. Let me prioritize my society around research by building more labs. Or make the pick a little more interesting like +10% research speed, +chance for rare techs, decreased lab costs.

I mean not every pick needs to unlock a whole new mechanic, but picks that just do identally what some techs or ethos already does are boring filler. There's already +core planet techs, traditions, and government traits, +starbase techs and traditions, +research speed techs and ethos.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

We need more ethics based perks. Where's the Xeno love???

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Where the "ascension" perk that just lets me ascend like Ancients style?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I’ve read that, when playing Life Seeded games, you should really only colonize two or three worlds and put stations on a few more so that your scientific research on your home planet doesn’t take a hit.

If I’m trying to be a serious stellaris player what number of systems should I be looking to claim? I assume someone must have crunched the numbers and figured out at what point research starts to drop off. Also, does colonizing worlds let me claim more systems or do the colonies count towards the number that reduces the effectiveness of the prime planet?

Thanks!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Horizon Signal trip report:
I traded my best Scientist and a science ship for some research points :flaccid:.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I traded my best Scientist and a science ship for some research points :flaccid:.
That's not the end friendo. It's a long chain that can last for years.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So I’ve read that, when playing Life Seeded games, you should really only colonize two or three worlds and put stations on a few more so that your scientific research on your home planet doesn’t take a hit.

If I’m trying to be a serious stellaris player what number of systems should I be looking to claim? I assume someone must have crunched the numbers and figured out at what point research starts to drop off. Also, does colonizing worlds let me claim more systems or do the colonies count towards the number that reduces the effectiveness of the prime planet?

Thanks!
If you're trying to be a serious Stellaris player, don't play Life Seeded. It teaches way too many bad turtling habits.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Sorry, sometimes you don't hit jackpot, buddy.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Perks could do a rework, but what im most disappointed in terms of being interested is titan auras. I was hoping for game-changing stuff that really let you specialize fleets.

- shield bubble that protects their fleet at long range
- drone control mechanisms that reduce war exhaustion from losing corvettes and destroyers
- salvo control system that makes all your missiles fire at once with a bunch of bonuses

But instead they're like +5% fire rate.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Perks could do a rework, but what im most disappointed in terms of being interested is titan auras. I was hoping for game-changing stuff that really let you specialize fleets.

- drone control mechanisms that reduce war exhaustion from losing corvettes and destroyers
- salvo control system that makes all your missiles fire at once with a bunch of bonuses

If they made strike craft not poo poo, an aura that massively buffs build speed on hangar modules would be awesome.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Titans in general are oddly limited in their design, I was expecting more than one choice of module per section at the least.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Pylons posted:

If they made strike craft not poo poo, an aura that massively buffs build speed on hangar modules would be awesome.

What's wrong with them? They're bugged or something right

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What's wrong with them? They're bugged or something right

They're bugged right now, yeah, they fly off the map in big battles, but also they're just *bad*. Or at least extremely underwhelming compared to any other sections they compete with. I honestly think they need to rework the way combat is entirely to make them worth using, but that's probably unlikely. As it is right now, battles take place over such a small distance that there's not much point to using them over more torpedo corvettes. The only real value they have is in forcing your opponent to have some flak to counter them, and IMO, that's just not worth it.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 8, 2018

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Thanks!

Well I made this thing. There's no hard rule really, whether or not building another outpost is worth it depends on how much science you're producing on planets, how much you value unity vs the resources you would get from the system, the opportunity cost of the influence and minerals spent and obviously how good any given system is. Not just economically, but any strategic value the system may have.

The tech cost formula is (base cost)*(1+0.02*(systems-1)+0.05(planets-1)), tradition cost is somewhat more complicated, basically (100+(number of traditions)^(some exponent))*(1+0.05*(tradition categories adopted))*(1+0.2*(planets-1)+0.01*(systems-1)). Not sure about that first part with the number of traditions and I'm too tired to check, but that's not really relevant here. Anyway in the long run any planet is likely a net positive research wise outside of edge cases like small empires that have a science nexus, unity-wise probably too unless you've got art monuments and Faith in Science research assistance going on everywhere. Systems start becoming net-negative later on when your planets become more productive/you colonize more, though.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

If you're trying to be a serious Stellaris player, don't play Life Seeded. It teaches way too many bad turtling habits.

Haha that may be true, but I really like the RP elements of having my race come up as part of some intergalactic science experiment. I don’t play the game multiplayer, but I would like to try to give my race its best shot and maximize their world’s potential.

Staltran posted:

Well I made this thing. There's no hard rule really, whether or not building another outpost is worth it depends on how much science you're producing on planets, how much you value unity vs the resources you would get from the system, the opportunity cost of the influence and minerals spent and obviously how good any given system is. Not just economically, but any strategic value the system may have.

The tech cost formula is (base cost)*(1+0.02*(systems-1)+0.05(planets-1)), tradition cost is somewhat more complicated, basically (100+(number of traditions)^(some exponent))*(1+0.05*(tradition categories adopted))*(1+0.2*(planets-1)+0.01*(systems-1)). Not sure about that first part with the number of traditions and I'm too tired to check, but that's not really relevant here. Anyway in the long run any planet is likely a net positive research wise outside of edge cases like small empires that have a science nexus, unity-wise probably too unless you've got art monuments and Faith in Science research assistance going on everywhere. Systems start becoming net-negative later on when your planets become more productive/you colonize more, though.

Thanks so much for this! I’ll look it over and incorporate it into my next game - this is just what I was looking for.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Pylons posted:

They're bugged right now, yeah, they fly off the map in big battles, but also they're just *bad*. Or at least extremely underwhelming compared to any other sections they compete with. I honestly think they need to rework the way combat is entirely to make them worth using, but that's probably unlikely. As it is right now, battles take place over such a small distance that there's not much point to using them over more torpedo corvettes. The only real value they have is in forcing your opponent to have some flak to counter them, and IMO, that's just not worth it.

It's really stupid my dang Galactica-class ships will make it to gun range before the first wave of strikecraft.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hrmm, should I spend 500 Influence to plant my flag in a system halfway across the galaxy that has three planets with a total of 40 population capacity, in a game where I have Mastery of Nature...

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

Lol +4 starbases?

Those kind of bonuses should at least scale with galaxy size or something.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Strike craft should be super buff and just stomp corvettes. Also nerf torpedoes.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Strike craft should be super buff and just stomp corvettes. Also nerf torpedoes.

Strike craft being terrible is probably the part of this game that makes me the saddest. I'd absolutely love to have a gigantic carrier class capital ship sailing the stars farting out hundreds of strike craft during engagements. Ah well :/

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Hrmm, should I spend 500 Influence to plant my flag in a system halfway across the galaxy that has three planets with a total of 40 population capacity, in a game where I have Mastery of Nature...

yes

500-ish influence is, maximum, 18 pop slots, and that's if you're just using land clearance on extremely small planets with lots of edict cost reduction. if you think you can defend that system, it's a much better deal, and i say this as someone who really likes mastery of nature

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Strike craft being terrible is probably the part of this game that makes me the saddest. I'd absolutely love to have a gigantic carrier class capital ship sailing the stars farting out hundreds of strike craft during engagements. Ah well :/

I think the ideal is being able to send them out across an entire system to engage a fleet.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I finally lasted long enough in a game to build not one but two ring worlds but this save is boring as hell... All of the AIs have buddied up, the fallen empires aren't doing poo poo, and the devouring swarm is by itself not expanding towards anyone.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If long range engagement actually worked right now (that is, forcing the enemy fleet to be fly across the system at combat speed while you pummelled them) then strike craft might be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

No matter what the ship AI is set to all my ships burn hard at the enemy fleet and end up in a big messy brawl. I kinda see them trying to make formations/lines based on their individual AI but that doesn't last very long into a battle.