Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Like just calling it SHOGUN would work pretty well. SAMURAI would be a more direct translation but not work as well as its better known, or something like ASHIGARU which I guess could work but has less cool connotations.
are you just talking out of your rear end here, I'm pretty sure in ff7 the name of the group is soldier written in katakana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Like just calling it SHOGUN would work pretty well. SAMURAI would be a more direct translation but not work as well as its better known, or something like ASHIGARU which I guess could work but has less cool connotations.
these are all ludicrously terrible translations

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they should've called seed SEIEKI

like I can get the point you're going for, shinra's a japanese-ish company in a western-ish setting, very blade runner. there's a dude named Hojo and stuff. But considering that in the Japanese they use a lot of western terms for their organizations and equipment, there's a lot of bosses with western names, and Rufus, the heir of the company, is a blonde kid named, well, Rufus, they're kind of being westernized themselves. SOLDIER's name is another example of that. Localizing their name into something Japanese would mess with that point.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 8, 2018

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

they should've called seed SEIEKI
unironic agreement, if only for all the american chuunis that'd go around the playground calling themselves SEIEKI first class

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
and then the ffxiii organization PSICUM

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I can take random capitalisations but gently caress off with random apostrophes

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The most tortured acronym for any fictional organization is BLADE from Xenoblade Chronicles X.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chumbler posted:

The most tortured acronym for any fictional organization is BLADE from Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Because I needed to spend a little more to reach the $100 mark for the Sony "spend $100, get $15 back" thing, I bought Dandara and because I didn't want to buy a game at full price and just let it sit until it was on sale for way less later, i started it immediately. It's also not that long, so I beat it.

Overall it's a pretty cool Metroidvania. While it was clearly made with Phones in mind, the movement is still unique and cool and honestly still probably works better with a controller than a phone. Really the only thing I really dislike was that they shoved in Souls mechanics (leveling up via enemy drops, one price for every upgrade that get more expensive every time you level, losing all your leveling currency when you die with one chance to retrieve it where your body was, reusable healing that refills at checkpoints) and literally every one of them make the game less fun because it's not the type of game that works that well with them.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I played about five minutes of the FFXV demo, starting with the combat tutorial. Weird that the default for attacking is circle and the default for dodging is square, made my dude look pretty silly

al-azad
May 28, 2009

homeless snail posted:

アドルフたん

Would've been funnier if they gave her a mustache.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Oh also the soundtrack is dope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFi7nnYXk8g

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Little known fact: Kirby is actually an acronym, for Kirby Is a Real Bud, Yeah!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
More like a real butt :twisted:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Holy poo poo what's your problem with Kirby

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

kirby doesn't even have a butt, his digestive system is single ended, his mouth is like a super cloaca

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Olive! posted:

Kirby is a cop

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Olive! posted:

He sucks.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Raxivace posted:

He sucks.

Sometimes he blows.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

For real though Kirby owns.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

is there anything that kirby wouldn't suck

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

homeless snail posted:

gordo and shotzo

e:scarfy is ill-advised

e2: and mumbies

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

homeless snail posted:

a gun, for being the dirty cop that he is

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/DoodledStars/status/970513255801090048

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

kirby doesn't even have a butt, his digestive system is single ended, his mouth is like a super cloaca

What's the difference in the digestive process between "swallowing" something - apparently causing it to cease to exist, and converting it to a star that is then regurgitated??

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Regy Rusty posted:

What's the difference in the digestive process between "swallowing" something - apparently causing it to cease to exist, and converting it to a star that is then regurgitated??

the same as whatever turns shy guys into yoshi eggs

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

when kirby swallows say, poppy bros, it is quickly metabolized and directed towards kirby's various glands and follicles that excrete a cute hat on his head and bomb in his hand

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

also kirby is bulimic and pukes up everything when you arent looking

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

everyone in this thread forgetting the important squeak squad kirby lore that he can store things he swallowed in a nebulous void if they are in bubbles that he can use later or combine for new effects.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I played Celeste at a friends house and while I don't think it's 10/10 I thought it was alright.

Got around to getting it on the ps4 as I didn't want to deal with my pro controller switch pad and I guess it's either a really bad port or I encountered the most unfortunate ear splitting hard lock ever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I picked up Vermintide II tonight. This game is hard as gently caress no matter what difficulty setting you choose, like holy poo poo you are going to die a lot. Left 4 Dead was a much easier game in comparison.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I played Celeste at a friends house and while I don't think it's 10/10 I thought it was alright.

Got around to getting it on the ps4 as I didn't want to deal with my pro controller switch pad and I guess it's either a really bad port or I encountered the most unfortunate ear splitting hard lock ever.

Get to chapter 6 asap. Gamings ambrosia. Rest of the game is ok imo but that one part was phenomenal

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Real hurthling! posted:

Get to chapter 6 asap. Gamings ambrosia. Rest of the game is ok imo but that one part was phenomenal

Will do

Got through the 8-bit thing in about 20 minutes so that was a fun surprise. Near the end of the hotel stage though every time I died the music would start a new loop over itself until it was just loud screeching. The game started to horribly stutter and lock up for 10-15 seconds at a time until it froze entirely. Kiinda took me outta my gameplay

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

this whole "reboot everything from the early 2000s" thing is really starting to wear thin

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/971515451820953601

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

DC Murderverse posted:

this whole "reboot everything from the early 2000s" thing is really starting to wear thin

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/971515451820953601

:ughh: never thought i'd read THAT loving name again

i remember reading that name in loving magazines

al-azad
May 28, 2009

He was disbarred and basically run out of town so a happy ending came out of Jack Thompson.

e: He teaches inmates constitutional law now so I actually have like a sliver of respect for him.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe I'm just getting too old and square, but I wouldn't be against fewer depictions of brutality in media. That actually inciting violence is of course very dumb. If I remember right, a bad or frustrating game is much more likely to do that, because a bad or frustrating anything can do that.

• Locked thread