Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Vitamean posted:

If there's anything I'm bitter about losing from all the reshuffling, it's the Altissia sequence showing in the name change trailer. The trailer also has some radical frame dips and looks more cutscene heavy, so it's not a total loss.

Yeah, what we got in the game was kind of a bummer. But at least it went by quick enough to not be as incredibly disappointing.

What a loving boring fight tho. That part dragged a bit but overall it was done quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
considering how badly altissia performs and looks in the console version even as it is, i'm pretty sure the stuff in that trailer was essentially impossible.

e: lets not forget
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq9rqOziAPY

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Actually I just remembered the ferry system, so I take back what I said about Altissia going quickly if you're planning to knock out the hunts while you're there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vitamean posted:

If there's anything I'm bitter about losing from all the reshuffling, it's the Altissia sequence showing in the name change trailer. The trailer also has some radical frame dips and looks more cutscene heavy, so it's not a total loss.

That whole sequence in the trailer turned out to be a pre-rendered cutscene mockup to look like gameplay, so I'm not sure if you could even say it was "lost."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

esperterra posted:

Actually I just remembered the ferry system, so I take back what I said about Altissia going quickly if you're planning to knock out the hunts while you're there.

also there's a couple areas on the map with ferry routes drawn to them which you can never visit because altissia is a shitshow

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

corn in the bible posted:

also there's a couple areas on the map with ferry routes drawn to them which you can never visit because altissia is a shitshow

It's the most clearly unfinished part of the game, imo. There being a bunch of unused stuff during the train sequence is only super clear if you go out of bounds, but just looking at the Altissia map you can see what they were originally going for and it's disappointing. But the story doesn't linger too long there, at least. Oh, and World of Ruin was clearly unfinished as well, but at least had the benefit of time being of the essence to explain away it being so short and not letting you really explore.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

there's a bit where you get off the train and a guard says THIS ENTIRE TOWN IS CLOSED TODAY SORRY

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Is the royal edition upgrade worth it?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Azubah posted:

Is the royal edition upgrade worth it?

How much is it, anyway? I know I'm going to buy it b/c I have a Square related sickness, but I haven't even peeped the price yet. It adds some new playable content afaik as well rear end more cutscene stuff in the final chapter, but I'm not sure how significant.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I saw it on PSN for $15.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh so like 20CDN. Not too bad, I guess. It also has a first person view and lets you use the boat, which I completely forgot about.

e: oh it might make the armiger not poo poo, too

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It also adds some content/cutscenes at the world of ruin apparently

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

It expands the final city area a fair bit. Multiple new bosses, cutscenes, a super boss, etc.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm looking forward to going back to it.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

imo it wasn't worth $15. The boat is drivable but the only thing you can do on it is fish. You can't land anywhere except Altissia, Cape Caem, and Galdin Quay so if you were hoping any of those little islands were explorable you will be disappointed.

e: personally I'm not a fan of what they did with ch 14, it's nice that the city is bigger but it comes at the cost of a bunch of stuff that makes the chapter less tonally unified and more melodramatic just for the sake of melodramatics. It was a short and sweet line to the end before and now it's a bit meandering and silly. again, just my two cents

melodicwaffle fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 7, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

On the plus side I loving love the fishing minigame in XV.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im glad i beat the game the month it came out so when i get into it again when they finally cease support its going to feel like how the FFVII remake should

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

In two years they'll release IMPERIAL EDITION which will make the train driveable

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

That whole sequence in the trailer turned out to be a pre-rendered cutscene mockup to look like gameplay, so I'm not sure if you could even say it was "lost."

Oh I'm not saying I thought it was actual gameplay. Just that comparing it to what we ended up getting out of Altissia makes it sting a bit more.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

In two years they'll release IMPERIAL EDITION which will make the train driveable

It will include the 90 odd missing armiger weapons

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I want chocohugs..

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

melodicwaffle posted:

imo it wasn't worth $15. The boat is drivable but the only thing you can do on it is fish. You can't land anywhere except Altissia, Cape Caem, and Galdin Quay so if you were hoping any of those little islands were explorable you will be disappointed.
Overly accurate to what happens if you buy a boat with your bros.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

the truth posted:

I had no clue about that. Based on how the lore and world origin story actually goes, that would have been a very different game.

FF XV is cool, relatively short, and fun. Hope you all enjoy it.

Originally when it was Versus XIII, they would be worshipping Etro as Godess of Death. When it was changed to standalone, that aspect was reworked into a general Grim Reaper death figure. Then it turned out explicit death worship might've bumped the ratings in some western countries, so they toned it back, but a lot of the themes and designs remain, it's just more implied.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Is the story stuff an update for non-royal edition versions?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

esperterra posted:

On the plus side I loving love the fishing minigame in XV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYtiaUzAf3A

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is the story stuff an update for non-royal edition versions?

Nope, seems like that's Royal Edition only which kinda stings because I got the game just a couple weeks back. I guess I can just watch that stuff on YouTube.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MikeJF posted:

Then it turned out explicit death worship might've bumped the ratings in some western countries
Huh, really?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
So, any guesses on what ff16 will be like?

Also, how many ff games are there, including spinoffs and sequels, but not remakes?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The chinese version of FF15 had some things changed, like give Shiva a special costume.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lobster22221 posted:

So, any guesses on what ff16 will be like?

Also, how many ff games are there, including spinoffs and sequels, but not remakes?

It will probably get announced next year, if anything.

Does it need to have Final Fantasy in the title in all markets? Because the Final Fantasy Legend series is gonna gently caress everything up

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Barudak posted:

Does it need to have Final Fantasy in the title in all markets? Because the Final Fantasy Legend series is gonna gently caress everything up
Worse, Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon doesn't have FF in the name in any market!

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Barudak posted:

Good point. I'd say go for games that were marketed with the final fantasy name in japan. Even if they were not elsewhere.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Worse, Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon doesn't have FF in the name in any market!

Ah poo poo. Include those too.

Edit 2: Just to start a potential list, we have:

ff 1-15 (15)
after years(16)
x-2(17)
13-2, 13-3(19)
tactics, A1, A2, and I guess there was some kind of phone game? (23)
Crystal chronicles, echoes of time, my life as a king (26)
dissidia, duodecim, and I think NT (29)
Someone mentioned chocobo mystery dungeon, but I don't know the games in the series (30+)
brave exodus, did it have a sequel? (31++)
type-0 (32++)

What am I missing?

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 8, 2018

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Off the top of my head, Mystic Quest, multiple phone games, and Chocobo Racing!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You're missing Final Fantasy: Dimensions 1 and 2, TheatRythm Final Fantasy 1, 2, and 3, and World of Final Fantasy for 6 more games.

Are you counting the Crystal Defenders franchise?

Mobile is like, chock full of Final Fantasy games.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 8, 2018

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

If you try telling me the Bravely Defaults aren't final fantasy I will fight you. :colbert:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

final fantasy fables

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Crystal Bearers

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Do variant versions of a mainline game count; Dawn of Souls FF2 for instance has an entirely new post-game story thats rather beefy and FFIV for the GBA re-writes chunks of the plot to let you take whoever you want into the final dungeon.

Edit: Where does Ergheiz fall on this spectrum?

Barudak fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 8, 2018

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
~~Was mystic quest actually final fantasy in JP?~~ looks like it.

Additions to a subseries will be marked by a star for each additional title.

+ means an unknown number of entries in a subseries
? means it has questionable status under the final fantasy franchise.

ff 1-15 (15)
after years(16)
x-2(17)
13-2, 13-3(19)
tactics, A1, A2, and I guess there was some kind of phone game? (23)
Crystal chronicles, echoes of time, my life as a king crystal bearers(27)*
dissidia, duodecim, and I think NT (30)
Someone mentioned chocobo mystery dungeon, but I don't know the games in the series (31+)
brave exodus, did it have a sequel? (32 +x2)
type-0 (33++)
Chocobo Racing(34++)
Final Fantasy: Dimensions 1 and 2(36 +x2)
TheatRythm Final Fantasy(39 +x2)
World of Final Fantasy(40 +x2)
final fantasy fables(41 +x2)
mystic quest(42 +x2 )
revenant wings(43 +x2)
4 heroes of light(44 +x2)
I would say add on content like dawn of souls would not count.

Quickly looking up Ergheiz, It seems like it wasn't marketed as an actual franchise entry. I would not include kingdom hearts either.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

lobster22221 posted:

Was mystic quest actually final fantasy in JP?

Final Fantasy USA: Mystic Quest as per the box