Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Tomahawk posted:

dumb question but i know nothing about warhammer but this game is fun and a lot of you seem to be really knowledgeable about the warhammer lore. are there books or comics or something? i thought this was just a tabletop game

It's a setting that is predominately a miniature game, but with plenty of licensing. It's been around for 35 years and is popular with gamestore types globally, so there is a lot of supplemental material like books and comics. There is also a traditional tabletop RPG in the setting, with a lot of splat books that go into significant detail.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Like I originally bought this game alongside my TT RPG group because we thought it looked cool to go kill a shitload of shrieking ratmen together, then it just turned out to be extremely good and one of the best co-op action games I've ever played.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tomahawk posted:

dumb question but i know nothing about warhammer but this game is fun and a lot of you seem to be really knowledgeable about the warhammer lore. are there books or comics or something? i thought this was just a tabletop game

For a good starting place on books and the like the Gotrek and Felix books are pretty great.

The Tabletop RPG game also goes pretty in depth on lots of stuff. And there are other various novels and sites you can visit to learn more.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
ignore Age of Sigmar

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Agrajag posted:

gotrek and felix

MonsterEnvy posted:

For a good starting place on books and the like the Gotrek and Felix books are pretty great.

These are some of the aforementioned fun novels, focusing on the eponymous heroes Gotrek Gurnisson and Felix Jager as they get around the world. Gotrek is a slayer and doing the slayer life, trying to find his glorious death in battle and Felix, as repayment for Gotrek saving his life, swears an oath to record his journey all the way to his death, so that everyone'll know he's cleared his name and then some.

The main series are also named like Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer and so on, you get a pretty good read of an angry dorf and his bud traveling the land and fighting all manner of monsters. The main recurring villain is a screw up, skaven Grey Seer named Thanquol as well, so you get a fair bit of this guy too "Though Thanquol thinks himself a tactical genius, a mighty sorcerer and a brave leader, Thanquol is, like all Skaven, a maniacal egotist and a complete coward who flees at the first sign of trouble. While it is true he has phenomenal sorcerous skill and great cunning, Thanquol prefers to leave the dirty work to his underlings: in particular his bodyguard, the ferocious Rat-Ogre he calls Boneripper. There have been thirteen Bonerippers, nearly all of which have been killed by Gotrek and Felix." :v:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There's a lot of hate for Age of Sigmar in here that's mostly justified, but Malign Portents has been genuinely good and compelling.

It also washed a lot of the "Space Marine heroes from beyond time and space to save the world!" veneer off of the Stormcaste, which is a good thing.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 8, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Strobe posted:

There's a lot of hate for Age of Sigmar in here that's mostly justified, but Malign Portents has been genuinely good and compelling.

It also washed a lot of the "[s]Space Marine[/b] heroes from beyond time and space to save the world!" veneer off of the Stormcaste, which is a good thing.

Yeah Agreed recent stuff has been pretty good. The setting still has problems but stuff is starting to get explained which is nice.

My biggest problem with the setting is the scale it's a tad too big. (I just ignore the stupid renames.)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Minrad posted:

controversial opinion for pubs: grimoires are optional

Especially considering that unless you are shooting for Champion gear the rarity doesn't really matter. All it really does is get you some bonus xp, which is what, 60 extra XP on top of the 600 you get from quick play completion with four people?

Who gives a poo poo about getting 140 power oranges

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Especially considering that unless you are shooting for Champion gear the rarity doesn't really matter. All it really does is get you some bonus xp, which is what, 60 extra XP on top of the 600 you get from quick play completion with four people?

So I stopped playing vermintide 1 before all the crafting stuff came out. Is there no way to upgrade items that you already have?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Liking the zealot, but having trouble choosing a ranged weapon. I just miss one shotting special vermin. I'm using the sniper crossbow, but have people found a pleasant ranged weapon for the zealot?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Bright wizard is the last character I want to lvl up to 12 to get all the characters above the noob levels and try them out. I've pushed my gear power level up to 220+s without doing champion games, been opening all the boxes on my lvl 30 dwarf for higher orange change for more mats. I think you could hit max power drops for items just playing all the characters to max level. Would prob take at least 3x times longer than playing champion difficulty though, one big downside.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 8, 2018

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a bug on the dwarf ranger that causes him to be permanently invis to the enemies? I swear I just had a game where the first half was just about normal and then suddenly the enemies just ignored me for the rest of the round. I don't think it was related to my smoke grenade either because I remember being hit after using it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

yeah, this is the ridiculous thing about it at most power levels--your poo poo is going to be numerically worse than what boxes are giving you 5 games from now so why get a second grim if it's going to endanger your life that much

I mean I'm all for them if it's clear we can do it, but many times, these people can not do it

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If your really just shooting for exp, recruit would be the fastest, less horde/bullshit spawns to wipe a run, if you don't care about item power level at all. You can craft the highest power level you can drop and it increases as you craft more. I would say that the item boxes on champion would be worth it to go for the grims. Means less mats to make them into oranges.

After level 15, I was basically always in full orange items. Wait for a blue and upgrade it to orange.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 8, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The main reason to go for grimoires is that the added challenge is fun if you think you can handle it. :colbert:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I have upgraded all my gear to orange cuz it feels cool and I have fun bonuses and yeah, I'll end up replacing it but who cares? I have a warhammer that makes me attack faster and by Taal, I'm gonna swing at zombies and rats like a motherfucker

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Been running some Ironbreaker Drakefire Pistols for the last few hours and drat if that isn't a fun build.
In fact all Bardin careers are fun.
Bardin owns.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Having an orange necklace( healing item trait/chance not to use potion/ heal 2 people with medkit/ natural bond elf passive) makes runs alot easier. Trinket for bomb trait and charm for buff potion trait help alot too.

Playing as kruber I had the grenade not use trait proc 5-6 times in a row on a mission. We failed and wiped though.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 8, 2018

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

The main reason to go for grimoires is that the added challenge is fun if you think you can handle it. :colbert:

Some classes also have talents that buff you if your team has a grim, which is a super neat concept imo.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm not a huge fan of the Pyromancer level 10 talents. The 100% heat dissipation with a grimoire is pretty darn good. But the 50% damage reduction while disable and 15% spell charge while under 35% health is just... bad.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Those grim talents stack with 2 grims? So the WHC gets 50% dmg boost and not just 25%?

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool
Some of the illusions are... interesting.

Why yes, I would love to not see the thing I am aiming at, thank you crossbow skin!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The real way to power level is to kick open the lobby browser and slam into anything in progress.

It won't work with elves, but there's a decent chance you'll pop in at the end of a level. :v:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gamerofthegame posted:

It won't work with elves, but there's a decent chance you'll pop in at the end of a level. :v:

Also games in the process of losing and people rage quit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Chaos warriors need a dick hitbox for Bardin.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Gamerofthegame posted:

The real way to power level is to kick open the lobby browser and slam into anything in progress.

last week i popped into my brother's v1 game, they were in the cart while it said i was joining. i never saw any game screen and loaded directly to a victory screen and i also completed a mission for doing nothing :c00lbert:

Trizzdog
May 5, 2014
Original Proprietor of Space Dank

JBP posted:

Chaos warriors need a dick DONGLITZ hitbox for Bardin.

Haven't had much time to play but got Bardin up to Slayer. Ironbreaker is more my style and will be my "serious mode" dawi, but Slayer is incredible fun. Mash left click and F until your keyboard and mouse explode. Dodge like a pro, right click blocking is for wimps. Max out damage and die the glorious death you've always wanted.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

JBP posted:

Chaos warriors need a dick hitbox for Bardin.

I've been playing a lot of Bardin and it makes me laugh that I have to jump to get headshots on them.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is there some satire we are missing with the Warhammer Fantasy setting, like we all missed with 40K for the longest time?

Far as I can tell, things are relatively cool in Warhammer Fantasy land, as opposed to 40K's "Everything and everyone is terrible and for the Emperor's sake can the Chaos Gods just come and put us all out of our misery already?"

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Half the aristocracy is probably vampires or chaos cultists. The Skaven have burrowed under most major population centers and are ready to flood the earth. Chaos winds turned your peasant family into spawn. Otherwise things are good.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Unlucky7 posted:

Is there some satire we are missing with the Warhammer Fantasy setting, like we all missed with 40K for the longest time?

Far as I can tell, things are relatively cool in Warhammer Fantasy land, as opposed to 40K's "Everything and everyone is terrible and for the Emperor's sake can the Chaos Gods just come and put us all out of our misery already?"

Fantasy had always been Tolkein extreme edition coupled with world history (until age of Sigmar which is p dumb) and 40k started out like a 2000AD setting filled to the brim with satire before mutating into a twelve year old's creative writing essay.

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!
Also the knife eared pieces of poo poo probably knew about all of this and did nothing to stop it. THEIR ARROGANCE HAS DOOMED US ALL!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Unlucky7 posted:

Fantasy has it's craziness and stuff, but yeah it's a lot more straight up than 40K, even at it's greatest stretches.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

belt posted:

Is there a bug on the dwarf ranger that causes him to be permanently invis to the enemies? I swear I just had a game where the first half was just about normal and then suddenly the enemies just ignored me for the rest of the round. I don't think it was related to my smoke grenade either because I remember being hit after using it.

Known death bug, you fix it by healing. Also the most likely cause of a reset if it happens.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

If you want to know more about Warhammer lore, or WH40k, the wikis that exist are just absurd. Who wrote this? Who did this, you'll ask yourself, as you read a single article for a couple days

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/The_End_Times

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Space_Marines

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Madcosby posted:

Liking the zealot, but having trouble choosing a ranged weapon. I just miss one shotting special vermin. I'm using the sniper crossbow, but have people found a pleasant ranged weapon for the zealot?

I haven’t used the zealot yet but if he can use the volley crossbow, just use that. It won’t one shot specials but it fires quickly and consistently enough to lock them down and kill them efficiently, and you still retain a close in gently caress you for junk like maulers, stormvermin, and leeches.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

This game is real good! I have been deleting bosses with huntsman Kruber + repeater handgun.

The only thing I don't like is when you or the host DCs and it just shits you out to the keep and you get nothing for your trouble. I'd like failed mission exp at least.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Tom Gorman posted:

If you want to know more about Warhammer lore, or WH40k, the wikis that exist are just absurd. Who wrote this? Who did this, you'll ask yourself, as you read a single article for a couple days

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/The_End_Times

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Space_Marines

hmm, why is that box in the scroll bar so tiny now

oh my god

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I prefer this

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/The_End_Times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I certainly hope the launch day patch is just a laundry list of bug fixes.

Unchained is annoying to play otherwise. Her passive is broken in a few key ways
  • If you take damage while grabbed, it still applies overcharge. I feel like they can just shut off the passive and have you take full damage while disabled.
  • "Bleeding Out" counts as damage for Overcharge. I've been revived, only to immediately explode, which I imagine will be real fun for my reviver when FF is on.
  • At high Overcharge, if you use your active the game may say "Oh that didn't count." and blow you up despite having no Overcharge. This could be a lag thing, but you still use the skill, so you're downed and still have the explosion on cooldown.
I've also heard rumors she's not getting melee buffs from her passive, but it's hard to test with dummies still broken.

• Locked thread