Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

SPOILERS FOR THE LAST FEW EPISODES OF REBELS BELOW. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

So How many fate points would you need to flip to
be saved from death by someone pulling your rear end out of the normal flow of spacetime into the Jedi webway?

I'm thinking at least 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Just 1 Fate Point but you have to have the trait director's favorite character.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I rolled my eyes so loving hard during the explanation for why one character is okay to save but the other isnt, that they detached from the sockets and launched into low earth orbit.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
With no exaggeration, the series would have actually been much better if they just didn't do anything with the World Between Worlds.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

kingcom posted:

I rolled my eyes so loving hard during the explanation for why one character is okay to save but the other isnt, that they detached from the sockets and launched into low earth orbit.

For those of us who didn't watch it, what was the explanation?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

CaptCommy posted:

Kanan's dying act was to hurl the rest of the crew away from an explosion. If they pulled him out before he did that, the other rebels would have died. Ahsoka was pulled out of the encounter with Vader at Malachor V, also during an explosion but after she'd done the critical thing so pulling her out didn't cause a paradox. Didn't seem that eye-rolly to me.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

CaptCommy posted:

Important lessons about loss and sacrifice.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm gonna be playing an Age of Rebellion game soon, and I've never played with this system before. I think we're going to be sticking to the core book, because the GM has never GMed this system before, and I think hasn't actually GMed since the '90s, which might get interesting. He's played a heap of Dungeon World with me though, so I think it'll be ok. We have watched all the movies and some Rebels and stuff, don't care about the EU novels etc, and aren't going to be sticking terribly close to the canon.

The game will be set towards the start of the rebellion. We'll be hunting down various people who have been assisting the empire. I have two character concepts and I'd like some advice on how I'd best go about doing them:

An ace pilot, decorated veteran of the clone wars. At the battle of <somewhere>, his fighter was disabled and General loving Skywalker ordered the battle group to retreat without launching recovery boats (or whatever). Drifted for a couple of days trying to breathe lightly before being picked up by a (scavenger, smuggler, something) and making his way back to his squadron, where he was disciplined for "desertion". Refused the next mission by pointing his blaster at the CO and refusing to get in the spaceship. Granted a medical discharge (after a court martial or whatever uncovered the details), has spent the last 10 years as a space trucker. Can fly/drive anything, but gets the shakes when he thinks about fighter combat.

A droid engineer (astromech?). Similar to the above scenario, but was the sole survivor of a corvette or transport getting hosed up because of stupid orders. I guess a droid could have drifted for years, slowly repairing the ship. Something went "wrong" with his programming during that time, and now he's pissed off - he knows he wasn't rescued because there were "no life signs" on the ship. Knows spaceships inside out, wants to turn spaceships inside out with planted explosives. Nobody notices a engineering droid...

e: Also, if there's a player's rules primer or short "how to play" document or something somewhere I'd love to hear about it.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 10, 2018

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

I'm gonna be playing an Age of Rebellion game soon, and I've never played with this system before. I think we're going to be sticking to the core book, because the GM has never GMed this system before, and I think hasn't actually GMed since the '90s, which might get interesting. He's played a heap of Dungeon World with me though, so I think it'll be ok. We have watched all the movies and some Rebels and stuff, don't care about the EU novels etc, and aren't going to be sticking terribly close to the canon.

The game will be set towards the start of the rebellion. We'll be hunting down various people who have been assisting the empire. I have two character concepts and I'd like some advice on how I'd best go about doing them:

An ace pilot, decorated veteran of the clone wars. At the battle of <somewhere>, his fighter was disabled and General loving Skywalker ordered the battle group to retreat without launching recovery boats (or whatever). Drifted for a couple of days trying to breathe lightly before being picked up by a (scavenger, smuggler, something) and making his way back to his squadron, where he was disciplined for "desertion". Refused the next mission by pointing his blaster at the CO and refusing to get in the spaceship. Granted a medical discharge (after a court martial or whatever uncovered the details), has spent the last 10 years as a space trucker. Can fly/drive anything, but gets the shakes when he thinks about fighter combat.

A droid engineer (astromech?). Similar to the above scenario, but was the sole survivor of a corvette or transport getting hosed up because of stupid orders. I guess a droid could have drifted for years, slowly repairing the ship. Something went "wrong" with his programming during that time, and now he's pissed off - he knows he wasn't rescued because there were "no life signs" on the ship. Knows spaceships inside out, wants to turn spaceships inside out with planted explosives. Nobody notices a engineering droid...

e: Also, if there's a player's rules primer or short "how to play" document or something somewhere I'd love to hear about it.

Okay so go buy the Edge of the Empire beginner game. It teaches you how to play really well and gives you a good setup.

Dungeon World is the game you should be thinking about. Let every player be creative and inventive any time they get some advantage and let them go nuts with triumphs. The game is all about flying at the seat of your pants from one crisis to the next so the big thing for the GM to think about is not locking down a linear story as you are flooded with ways the players can drag things off in a new direction.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I am starting a session of EoE for the first time this Thursday. Any tips for a new player? I just want to be some sort of droid scoundrel is all I know so far.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!

RC Cola posted:

I am starting a session of EoE for the first time this Thursday. Any tips for a new player? I just want to be some sort of droid scoundrel is all I know so far.

My recommendation is to have a combat and a non-combat skill you specialize in. Computers and Mechanics are really good opportunities for you to do a lot of stuff. Being specialized is good, but I wouldn't go crazy with it.

Other than that, it's kind of hard to make a "bad" character, especially if you're having fun with it.

EDIT: I also recommend getting either a cheat-sheet with combat actions/maneuvers and what you can do with advantages/triumphs/disadvantages/despairs. The hardest thing for people to wrap their heads around, from what I've seen, is the way combat works. Having a familiarity of what you can do with, say, No Successes but 2 Advantages on an attack roll will make the game a lot easier and more enjoyable.

FuriousAngle fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 12, 2018

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

RC Cola posted:

Spend as much of your starting XP as you can on increasing your characteristics - character creation is the only time you can do this. Beyond that, see above.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Clanpot makes a good point... to increase your characteristics you're going to have to go through an entire specialty tree. And as a droid, you're going to have to pick 1 or 2 dump stats to have a 1 in. You're just going to have to accept the fact that you'll be pretty good at one thing, okay at another, downright terrible at a few and average at the rest. I'd resist the urge to put a 5 in any characteristic unless you want to be abysmal at everything else.

One more thing to note if you want to minmax your efficiency- Try to double up on skills right out of the gate. If you can get one rank for your career and one rank for your specialty, go for that. 1 skill with 2 yellow is better than 2 skills with 1 yellow for XP cost reasons as well as dice rolling ones.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

5 brawn marauder is the only true build.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

FuriousAngle posted:

EDIT: I also recommend getting either a cheat-sheet with combat actions/maneuvers and what you can do with advantages/triumphs/disadvantages/despairs. The hardest thing for people to wrap their heads around, from what I've seen, is the way combat works. Having a familiarity of what you can do with, say, No Successes but 2 Advantages on an attack roll will make the game a lot easier and more enjoyable.

Does such a document exist for us GMs to be able to hand to new players as a reference? As I've been running the system and struggling through it by trial and fire (including one Sun morning session I had to cancel completely because I realized 15m and one player action in that I was sorely unprepared to do anything that day) I'm starting to realize what's really really important to understand and remember. I'm confident I could make one, but if one already exists, I'd rather just use it!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Quidthulhu posted:

Does such a document exist for us GMs to be able to hand to new players as a reference? As I've been running the system and struggling through it by trial and fire (including one Sun morning session I had to cancel completely because I realized 15m and one player action in that I was sorely unprepared to do anything that day) I'm starting to realize what's really really important to understand and remember. I'm confident I could make one, but if one already exists, I'd rather just use it!

I've found this set of sheets to be really useful in my games.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Trying to build my first character for Age of Rebellion. I've narrowed my choices somewhat and I'm leaning toward being an droid pilot who can also do mechanics/engineering stuff so maybe later I can switch to engineer. If I've understood the general advice properly, I should spend most of my starting xp on stats, right?

Here's what I've come up with:

Brawn 2, Agility 3, Intellect 3, Cunning 2, Willpower 2, Presence 1. (Wound 12, Strain 12, Soak 3)

Skills: Astrogation, Mechanics x2, Piloting (Planetary) x2, Piloting (Space) x2, Gunnery x2, Ranged (light).

Talents: Let's Ride (1/round mount/dismount vehicle or beast as incidental)

Weapons: Light blaster pistol, Frag grenades. Gonna see if those can be integrated into my chassis.

Does that look like I've hosed up?

e: The talent comes from an extra 5xp of duty reduction. Is that worth it or should I start with 10 duty instead of 5?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

AlphaDog posted:

Trying to build my first character for Age of Rebellion. I've narrowed my choices somewhat and I'm leaning toward being an droid pilot who can also do mechanics/engineering stuff so maybe later I can switch to engineer. If I've understood the general advice properly, I should spend most of my starting xp on stats, right?

Here's what I've come up with:

Brawn 2, Agility 3, Intellect 3, Cunning 2, Willpower 2, Presence 1. (Wound 12, Strain 12, Soak 3)

Skills: Astrogation, Mechanics x2, Piloting (Planetary) x2, Piloting (Space) x2, Gunnery x2, Ranged (light).

Talents: Let's Ride (1/round mount/dismount vehicle or beast as incidental)

Weapons: Light blaster pistol, Frag grenades. Gonna see if those can be integrated into my chassis.

Does that look like I've hosed up?

e: The talent comes from an extra 5xp of duty reduction. Is that worth it or should I start with 10 duty instead of 5?

Looks perfectly serviceable, but Piloting (Planetary) will probably have its use dictated by the type of campaign you're playing in.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

It depends- I usually blow all of my duty on extra XP because I see 5-10xp as absolutely worth it. My GM doesn't use the Duty system which made it even better for me in the long run, but even at the beginning I think all I missed out on was an extra strain threshold. So it's really your call, but I'd recommend spending at least SOME of your duty on XP.

Also, I recommend picking up at least a point of Cool at some point. With that 1 Presence it'll really help you out in the initiative/regaining strain department.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I've always thought that piloting should be one skill, and not split into planetary and space. It doesn't make any narrative sense for a character to be good at one and not the other.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Quidthulhu posted:

I just made a Google Docs folder with a bunch of stuff I've collected. Feel free to check it out and use anything you like.

Check it out!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

wiegieman posted:

I've always thought that piloting should be one skill, and not split into planetary and space. It doesn't make any narrative sense for a character to be good at one and not the other.

Rename Planetary to "Driving" and have it be for land vehicles, racing machines, etc. problem solved.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

jivjov posted:

Rename Planetary to "Driving" and have it be for land vehicles, racing machines, etc. problem solved.

But that's just papering over the problem, which is that the Wheelman character is someone you expect to be good at both flying and driving, especially in Star Wars.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

wiegieman posted:

But that's just papering over the problem, which is that the Wheelman character is someone you expect to be good at both flying and driving, especially in Star Wars.

I dunno... I feel like being good at driving a car and being good at flying a helicopter are pretty different skills. There might be some overlap or synergy, but with any flying vehicle you're thinking in 3d and with cars you're really just thinking in 2d. I feel like the better solution would be to allow anyone whose class skill includes Planetary to take Space piloting as a class skill and vice versa, even if they're not listed as a class skill. Or you could use half of your ranks in Planetary in Space and vice versa.

Ultimately, I personally don't feel like it's a big enough deal to warrant a house rule, but I definitely see your point.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

In my game I just made Planetary a free skill for two people. That way the group always had someone to fly speeders but they don't have to spend points on a skill that isn't used much.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Hi guys! In my infinite stupidity "wisdom" I agreed to run an online game in AoR for some of my friends. The gist of the set-up is that they're going to be playing a commando team (which won't just include blowing poo poo up but going undercover occasionally and all that good stuff). My experience is... limited, to say the least - I've played Death Watch and Shadow Run with homebrewed settings as a player, so I'm not going into this 100% blind, and I've read so many articles on how to be a good GM that they're coming out of my eyeballs, but I'm painfully aware that's an entirely different kettle of fish. I feel especially intimidated since all of my players have played TTRPGs before and a good number are gigantic Star Wars nerds like myself. Thankfully they're more than willing to help make life easier for me. What I'd like to know is:

1. Are there any "gotchas" I should be aware of when it comes to this system, particularly as a new GM? I've read this entire thread so I know that combat can be highly lethal early on, and difficulty tends to break down a bit at higher levels, but I feel like there's got to be more to keep an eye on... right?

2. Are there any dice/check cheat sheets I could look at so that I'm not constantly having to dive back into a core book while I get comfortable with the system?

3. Related to #1, is there a good way of gauging whether a given combat encounter would be "just right" or if I'm setting the players up to fail (or conversely, making it a snoozefest)?

4. I know the AoR core book covers it, but I didn't find it particularly helpful in this regard: how can I use Duty to provide plot hooks and complications? I get the feeling it's the nature of the beast but it feels like Duty isn't as good as Obligation at making life interesting for the party.

Apologies if this is better suited to the GM advice thread.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Soup Inspector posted:

1. Are there any "gotchas" I should be aware of when it comes to this system, particularly as a new GM? I've read this entire thread so I know that combat can be highly lethal early on, and difficulty tends to break down a bit at higher levels, but I feel like there's got to be more to keep an eye on... right?

My advice- story over rules. Don't worry about your players breaking the game, and don't be afraid to lay the smack down on them. Player characters are INSANELY hard to kill. If they mop the floor with your badguys or run away, just fine-tune your next encounter. Look at the first few sessions as a learning experience and you'll do fine.

Edit: Remember, you can use destiny points to save NPCs you want to keep tormenting the players. Similarly, they can get creative with Destiny point use to introduce plot elements that can help them, or to push the story along when they get stuck. Destiny Point use is, in my opinion, one of the best things about the system.

Soup Inspector posted:

2. Are there any dice/check cheat sheets I could look at so that I'm not constantly having to dive back into a core book while I get comfortable with the system?

I posted a link to my google drive, but here it is again. Hopefully something in there could help you. It's also got a lot of equipment and NPC "cards" for quick reference.

Soup Inspector posted:

3. Related to #1, is there a good way of gauging whether a given combat encounter would be "just right" or if I'm setting the players up to fail (or conversely, making it a snoozefest)?

There's no way I've found. You gotta feel out how your players spec their characters, I think. But don't be afraid to throw enemies at them in waves. Did they easily beat the squad of three storm troopers? UH OH! Here come three more squads of FIVE! And each of them is led by an officer! CRAP!

Soup Inspector posted:

4. I know the AoR core book covers it, but I didn't find it particularly helpful in this regard: how can I use Duty to provide plot hooks and complications? I get the feeling it's the nature of the beast but it feels like Duty isn't as good as Obligation at making life interesting for the party.

That's something you're going to have to ponder. Rather than doing a roll for EVERY session, maybe just do one for every mission. The Duty that's activated becomes the mission's focal point. Did your pilot's Space Superiority duty get activated? The team needs to sabotage a TIE manufacturing factory. Did the spy's Intelligence duty get activated? That mission's going to be a recon of an Imperial listening station. Did nobody's duty get activated? You can either have the group choose, or choose on your own.

Duty is fun because it can help you tailor missions to particular characters to keep each player involved.

Or you could do what our GM did and just throw it out the window- Everyone has an objective and you just play those out. That's fine too! If everyone has problems wrapping their heads around Duty and wants to do away with it that really shouldn't affect the game negatively at all.

Edit: One final note about planning- When I was GMing I planned everything loosely. You don't need every single element of a mission planned out in advance. If you can encourage your players to contribute things they'll do a lot of the work for you.

FuriousAngle fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 13, 2018

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Soup Inspector posted:

Hi guys! In my infinite stupidity "wisdom" I agreed to run an online game in AoR for some of my friends.

FuriousAngle's stuff is completely on-point. I was also recently asked by one of my players to write down some random thoughts on the system (and GM'ing your first game in general, since I came into GM'ing a newbie as well), so you can feel free to dig into that a bit. It's a bit longwinded but I tried to be somewhat comprehensive :shobon:

https://pastebin.com/RcLLcd0S

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Thanks a ton for being an information goldmine! Sorry for missing your Drive link, FuriousAngle - I was so wrapped up in trying to figure out how I was going to word my questions I missed it. That pastebin was also very handy, Drone.

FuriousAngle posted:

My advice- story over rules. Don't worry about your players breaking the game, and don't be afraid to lay the smack down on them. Player characters are INSANELY hard to kill. If they mop the floor with your badguys or run away, just fine-tune your next encounter. Look at the first few sessions as a learning experience and you'll do fine.

Edit: Remember, you can use destiny points to save NPCs you want to keep tormenting the players. Similarly, they can get creative with Destiny point use to introduce plot elements that can help them, or to push the story along when they get stuck. Destiny Point use is, in my opinion, one of the best things about the system.

Alright, that's a relief. I had heard horror stories of stormtroopers and other such "low tier" encounters mopping the floor with the PCs. Though as I believe has been pointed out in the thread before, that just provides an easy segue for the prison break sequence that practically every Star Wars film has.

The party getting stuck is something I'm concerned about, particularly since not all of my players are familiar with FFG SW and I'm not the most out-of-the-box thinker around (something I'm trying to improve!). I trust they'd be able to come up with some unorthodox solutions though. I certainly won't discourage them, since my motto for this is "Whatever is fun for the players".

On a scale of "this isn't a good idea" to "your players are fully justified in kicking you in the nuts, hard", how bad an idea is it to give them a NPC assistant (even if it was suggested by one of the players)? They'd spend 99.9% of the time hanging out on the ship just briefing the party (where appropriate) and offering advice over their comlinks or something if they need a hint (though they won't have the answer to everything). They might also have one or two skills that the group lacks in the event the party really digs themselves into a rut. But the emphasis would be very much on ideally letting the party do it themselves, with the NPC giving them a little assistance if the situation allows it and then fading back into the background ASAP as the absolute last resort. Maybe provide an occasional plot hook or something for the party (i.e. a bounty hunter ransacking their ship whilst they're gone and taking the NPC as a hostage for a trap). Hell, if it becomes obvious the NPC is superfluous or pissing off the players I'd get them out of the way. It's the party's story, after all.

FuriousAngle posted:

There's no way I've found. You gotta feel out how your players spec their characters, I think. But don't be afraid to throw enemies at them in waves. Did they easily beat the squad of three storm troopers? UH OH! Here come three more squads of FIVE! And each of them is led by an officer! CRAP!

I see. For what it's worth I haven't really gotten any information on what my players are thinking of playing aside from a pilot and potentially two spies (it's a 5 man group). So it's of particular concern to me because - and correct me if I'm wrong - that doesn't seem like the most combat-worthy set-up.

FuriousAngle posted:

That's something you're going to have to ponder. Rather than doing a roll for EVERY session, maybe just do one for every mission. The Duty that's activated becomes the mission's focal point. Did your pilot's Space Superiority duty get activated? The team needs to sabotage a TIE manufacturing factory. Did the spy's Intelligence duty get activated? That mission's going to be a recon of an Imperial listening station. Did nobody's duty get activated? You can either have the group choose, or choose on your own.

Duty is fun because it can help you tailor missions to particular characters to keep each player involved.

Or you could do what our GM did and just throw it out the window- Everyone has an objective and you just play those out. That's fine too! If everyone has problems wrapping their heads around Duty and wants to do away with it that really shouldn't affect the game negatively at all.

Edit: One final note about planning- When I was GMing I planned everything loosely. You don't need every single element of a mission planned out in advance. If you can encourage your players to contribute things they'll do a lot of the work for you.

I like these suggestions very much - I was going to riff on Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy's structure of a handful of "minor" missions (either player suggested/caused or of my own design, but ideally the former) chained with larger "major" missions (with the same proviso as minor missions) and the occasional downtime. I suppose that's why I've been struggling to figure out how to slot Duty into situations. Though even without considering Duty I'm going to draw upon my players' backstories - I already know one of the spies comes from Ryloth and basically escaped Hutt servitude, so I'm hoping to have his cronies cause trouble a few times. I should also stress that if one of those "minor" missions ends up turning into something bigger as a result of my players' actions I'm A-OK with ditching the structure I had planned.

Would it be a faux pas to have Force using opponents (albeit of the "barely trained" variety) at some point? I don't plan on the party gaining Force powers, and this would likely be more of a mid-late campaign threat, but I am concerned the party might cry foul if they don't think they got enough warning (though I don't want to ruin a potential "Oh poo poo!" moment either). Similarly, what sort of shenanigans related to the Force and/or the Jedi/Sith could the party pull off?

Again, thanks for the tips! And sorry for the rambling.

Soup Inspector fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 13, 2018

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

A word of caution about minion groups- throw enough of them in one group and they are NASTY. The more minions in a group, the better their skills are. So maybe try testing the water with two squads of three troopers. Or even a squad of 3 troopers and a sergeant, lieutenant, or another rival level NPC. If you're throwing 4 yellow dice at a player right off the bat it can get gross quickly.

When in doubt check out published adventures. The intro adventures that come with the starter kits are pretty great.

NPC ASSISTANT:

Great idea, just remember he's a prop. I've seen too many GMs introduce NPC assistants that end up hogging the spotlight. One option would be to introduce someone competent that can get them through a tough spot, instill confidence that they can rely on that character, then kill that character. "See how N0-0B does this. Watch as he does that! Oooh he used a destiny point! This is a guy who can get stuff done! He'll be a great asset to... oh wait, he got blown to scrap. I guess you're on your own now." But I wouldn't keep the training wheels on for too long for various reasons.

COMBAT/NON-COMBAT:

If your whole group doesn't want to do combat that's fine, there's plenty of other stuff for them to do. The game isn't like D&D where it kind of pushes you toward combat.

FORCE USING OPPONENTS:

Again, I'd test the waters to see how your players react to it. Always ask for feedback. If they encounter a fallen Jedi or fallen Apprentice and hated it? Never do it again. But if they come back to you with glowing praise of how cool it was for them to take down someone with a light saber? More. Do more Force users.

FORCE USING PLAYERS:

I've found from playing a Force user that FUs aren't really any better or worse than non-FUs. They're spreading their XP between three points (Force Powers, Skills, and Talents) as opposed to just two (Skills and Talents). The best case scenario you'll probably get at the beginning is one of them to use Foresee, which lets you give them a blurry Force vision and encourage the plot that way. But with these guys, it's really limited based on what you'll allow. Don't want them using the Force? Don't let them take any Force specialties. Want them to be able to dip into it a little? Allow Force Sensitive Emergent or Force Sensitive Exile- that should limit their powers. You can also limit what powers they have access to. At least until they find that holocron.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Kanan's dying act was to hurl the rest of the crew away from an explosion. If they pulled him out before he did that, the other rebels would have died. Ahsoka was pulled out of the encounter with Vader at Malachor V, also during an explosion but after she'd done the critical thing so pulling her out didn't cause a paradox. Didn't seem that eye-rolly to me.

okay so I don't follow any new star wars stuff (should any of this be spoilers?) but does Malachor V not get blown up or are they just ignoring KOTOR2 but using the same locations.

My current campaign I've finished designing has the player group chasing down a unique black gemstone that's up for auction that a Hutt crimelord wants to use as a fake eye for his favourite pet rancor, although it turns out to be a power source that powered the mass shadow generator. Whole thing turns into a low key covert op struggle between the imperials and rebels over who gets it, while the players are just trying to steal it oceans 11 style.

I mean it goes without saying don't worry about star wars canon etc. but I was relying on some scavengers having found it floating near the shattered remains of the planet.

One thing I can say, although I'm not very experienced/good is as other people have said, you don't need to put too much detail into how the story will go - just a general idea is good enough - but putting a lot of effort into encounters is best because I found I could make the encounters more meaningful and have actual tension if I wasn't just winging together some NPCs for the party to fight.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 13, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I don't think the kotors are considered canon

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Correct; the KotOR games are in the Legends continuity

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
fair enough, makes sense

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

wiegieman posted:

Agreed 100% its just a really dumb skill split that comes up very rarely and doesn't make any sense for the setting.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I mean they have to be out of the explosion at some point and kanan has to be engulfed by the explosion at another point in time. So all he has to do is wait until the ship is taking off and then pull kanan out the split second before kanan gets engulf. It would be like trying to pull someone out of the way of lightsaber the split second before they get hit, you know just impossible no way of ever making that work.

FuriousAngle posted:

A word of caution about minion groups- throw enough of them in one group and they are NASTY. The more minions in a group, the better their skills are. So maybe try testing the water with two squads of three troopers. Or even a squad of 3 troopers and a sergeant, lieutenant, or another rival level NPC. If you're throwing 4 yellow dice at a player right off the bat it can get gross quickly.

When in doubt check out published adventures. The intro adventures that come with the starter kits are pretty great.

One thing I'll bring up about minion groups, the purpose of these groups is to have your players fight large hordes of enemies without the actual damage output of large hordes of enemies. 10 stormtroopers individually are actually far more lethal than a single group with 10 stormtroopers in it (the 10 will just be far more accurate).

For a fresh out of the gate group, especially if you dont have anyone with a Ranged(Heavy) weapon (like a blaster rifle etc), a few stormtroopers are actually going to be pretty dangerous to the party so its entirely contextual to your party how powerful everyone and everything is. Do your session 0 with character creation and figure out what everyone is going to be (post here if you want and im sure we can give advice) and then start working out the kinds of threats they should face.

Soup Inspector posted:

I see. For what it's worth I haven't really gotten any information on what my players are thinking of playing aside from a pilot and potentially two spies (it's a 5 man group). So it's of particular concern to me because - and correct me if I'm wrong - that doesn't seem like the most combat-worthy set-up.

I like these suggestions very much - I was going to riff on Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy's structure of a handful of "minor" missions (either player suggested/caused or of my own design, but ideally the former) chained with larger "major" missions (with the same proviso as minor missions) and the occasional downtime. I suppose that's why I've been struggling to figure out how to slot Duty into situations. Though even without considering Duty I'm going to draw upon my players' backstories - I already know one of the spies comes from Ryloth and basically escaped Hutt servitude, so I'm hoping to have his cronies cause trouble a few times. I should also stress that if one of those "minor" missions ends up turning into something bigger as a result of my players' actions I'm A-OK with ditching the structure I had planned.

Would it be a faux pas to have Force using opponents (albeit of the "barely trained" variety) at some point? I don't plan on the party gaining Force powers, and this would likely be more of a mid-late campaign threat, but I am concerned the party might cry foul if they don't think they got enough warning (though I don't want to ruin a potential "Oh poo poo!" moment either). Similarly, what sort of shenanigans related to the Force and/or the Jedi/Sith could the party pull off?

Again, thanks for the tips! And sorry for the rambling.

Another big big big point to bring up, do not think of this game in terms of D&D style gameplay. Unlike D&D combat is often something that provides the group with zero reward while offering serious risk so there is really no reason to seek it out. Don't build combat encounters, build a problem the players need to solve and provide that may potentially draw combat into it or combat stalls the problem solving. Basically you want to avoid combat where the only solution is to just kill all your opponents. This is especially true if you have a group that isn't combat heavy.

That mission structure is not a bad idea and given the incredible power to influence the narrative that FFG SW offers, going through the isolated missions until they click with something and/or a villain you had escapes whom they really hated leads them to a bigger issue. Having said they, feel free to go deep into something from left field if the players take a liking/interest to it. My biggest example is players getting a Triumph on a Charm check allowing you to turn a character into a long term ally. Having that go off against your Imperial Agent Nemesis or Inquisitor is just fuel for some drat good storytelling and you need to run with it.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 14, 2018

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Soup Inspector posted:

Hi guys! In my infinite stupidity "wisdom" I agreed to run an online game in AoR for some of my friends.

Dude I am so glad you asked all these questions because I am also trying to set up an online game with pretty much the same experience going in as you. How are you going to be running yours? I tried to set up roll20 with the AoR character sheets and it just would not work, so I think I'm going to do Discord only.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Thanks a ton! I like the idea of killing off the assistant at some point. Though perhaps it's risking spotlight hogging, I wonder if it might be worth having them later return as an antagonist's henchman if the party particularly liked/hated them (so that they can have a nice dramatic confrontation/a cathartic beating of the NPC's face like a drum)?

I think I worded things a bit poorly with my last question - I was asking how I could make use of the Force (or rather Force related stuff) to make life interesting for a non-Force sensitive party, since I figure that even if they have a blast they're eventually going to want a more interesting set-up than shoot mans/infiltration. Like for a silly example of what I'm looking for, what might happen if they stumble upon a place strong in the Force? Could I bullshit something about them still getting visions ala Luke in the Dagobah cave even though they're not Force sensitives? What sort of cool Force related poo poo could I have them get up to? I know it's my game and I can just have whatever is good for the narrative happen, but I figure it couldn't hurt to get others' opinions and ideas.

And something I haven't quite puzzled out yet is this: at some point I'd like the group to be tasked with hunting down a spy in their midst. Unfortunately my strong point is much more in the "poo poo blowing up" side of things than the "puzzle" side. I also heard that Onslaught at Arda I handled its infiltrator segment poorly, so I'd like to avoid falling into the same traps. What would be the best way to go about it? And how should I handle, say, the culprit lying to the party? I'd like to give them at least some chance of figuring out they're being lied to, but if I ask them to roll a check I feel like that would be like lighting a huge neon sign saying :siren: "ENEMY SPY RIGHT HERE". :siren:

Radio! posted:

Dude I am so glad you asked all these questions because I am also trying to set up an online game with pretty much the same experience going in as you. How are you going to be running yours? I tried to set up roll20 with the AoR character sheets and it just would not work, so I think I'm going to do Discord only.

I'm glad to be of assistance (even indirectly)! Unfortunately I was probably going to take a stab at a "combined" Roll20-Discord set-up. All the major action happens on Roll20 with rolls and inter-session stuff being done via bot on Discord. Your experience doesn't fill me with confidence, particularly since I haven't managed to "get" Roll20 yet (my last experience trying to set up a test game - albeit for a completely different system - was an exercise in confusion and frustration). If I can't get Roll20 to stick for me I might do what you're doing. Sorry I couldn't help you more, man, but I wish you luck! :shobon:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I've been running my game through Roll20 using the "Advanced" Character Sheets (or whatever the fancy ones are called) and the Star Wars FFRPG dice module.

The dice module is great but it won't work unless you install the API for it (which I can walk you through if you need help), and that does require a subscription membership.

There is an FFG Dice app for iPhone and Android and you could have all of your peeps on Discord roll that and show you physically, but it also costs money.

I believe there is a Discord dice roller bot but I have no experience with it.

I can talk a bit about the quirks of Roll20 and how I run it if people would be interested as well! We run dice & map poo poo in Roll20 and voice/video chat on Discord. It works real well, especially for the players. I would not personally try to run this game online without two monitors, though. I find myself juggling a lot of windows.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Radio! posted:

I've run it with roll20 before and still run a game through it (playing some Shadow of the Demon Lord at the moment though). There is a discord dice bot you can get but the API for roll20 (requires a paid account to use) works extremely well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Quidthulhu posted:

I can talk a bit about the quirks of Roll20 and how I run it if people would be interested as well! We run dice & map poo poo in Roll20 and voice/video chat on Discord. It works real well, especially for the players. I would not personally try to run this game online without two monitors, though. I find myself juggling a lot of windows.

This would be a godsend for me, so I say go for it - unfortunately I'm too much of a cheapskate to shell out for the subscription. We haven't even started playing yet and being realistic I don't know how long my campaign is going to last, so I'd rather not waste my cash if it all comes crashing down a month from now.