Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Which, to be fair, is perfect Gambit characterization.

Exactly. Gambit to me is the sleeziest PUA that barely understand consent, that sometimes throws exploding playing cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I can't imagine what I'd like to see them on, except the curb.

on the one hand, it's less disappointing with spencer since I already didn't care about asm

on the other hand, if it was anyone else I would care about asm

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'll never understand how comic writers, especially modern comic writers can write so many series at once.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'll never understand how comic writers, especially modern comic writers can write so many series at once.

Panels have gotten pretty loving big.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Does anyone who isn't Bendis five years ago write more than 2-3 series at a time? I'm sure it's hard, but it's not like the 60's where Stan Lee was writing all the dialog and either Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko was drawing everything and coming up with most of the plots.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Before all this he also wandered into Ghost Rider's comic and exposed Johnny Blaze as being Ghost Rider, accidentally framed him for several crimes in the process, kicked his rear end, then when he realized Johnny wasn't a bad guy he just left without even apologizing. Johnny, now wanted by the cops and known to be a demon-thing by his friends and coworkers, had to leave town forever.

The thing in this list that makes me feel sorry for Johnny Blaze the most is that he now has to live out the rest of his life knowing that Dr. Druid once kicked his rear end.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think Charles Soule was doing six or seven monthlies at his height of working for everyone at once.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Skwirl posted:

Does anyone who isn't Bendis five years ago write more than 2-3 series at a time? I'm sure it's hard, but it's not like the 60's where Stan Lee was writing all the dialog and either Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko was drawing everything and coming up with most of the plots.

For a while there, Jeff Lemire was writing Descender, Moon Knight, Old Man Logan, and Bloodshot on top of writing and illustrating Royal City.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Sinners Sandwich posted:

There was something Chris Claremont said when he got interviewed on Jay & Miles a couple of years ago that I thought was interesting. I'm paraphrasing, but basically, he got into a space where if he did screw up and write a bad comic, he knew he'd always be able to come back and take another swing in a month. It freed him up to just do the work without agonizing over every little thing, because it's a serial medium and there was always next issue if he needed to fix things.

I've been assuming that that's how you can get people who can write six monthly series at once.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

So I assume Duggan is sticking with Guardians? He's gotta be somewhere.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I really hope so. After today's thing with Groot I pray that he never leaves Guardians.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

JordanKai posted:

For a while there, Jeff Lemire was writing Descender, Moon Knight, Old Man Logan, and Bloodshot on top of writing and illustrating Royal City.

Lemire is a workhorse. He's still on Descender, Bloodshot, and Royal City, plus Black Hammer and its spinoffs, Gideon Falls, the Terrifics, and now the Sentry. I thought maybe he was doing Hawkman going forward too?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Why sleep when you can work yourself to death

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Panels have gotten pretty loving big.

Decompression. It takes me about 3-4 times a s long to read something from the 80s than a current comic book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Also, I don't think writing comics for the big two pays very well, I think it was Kieron Gillen who said you only need to sell around 10,000 at Image to get the equivalent of what he was being paid to write Uncanny X-Men.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Lemire is a workhorse. He's still on Descender, Bloodshot, and Royal City, plus Black Hammer and its spinoffs, Gideon Falls, the Terrifics, and now the Sentry. I thought maybe he was doing Hawkman going forward too?

I forgot all about Black Hammer. That was going on at the same time as all the comics I mentioned too. Wild.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Also, I don't think writing comics for the big two pays very well, I think it was Kieron Gillen who said you only need to sell around 10,000 at Image to get the equivalent of what he was being paid to write Uncanny X-Men.
In trying to find a tweet from someone who was talking about this, I found this site that claims to have surveyed creators on their page rates. Assuming it's accurate, Marvel pays between $30-120 per page for scripts.

McKeever says he was getting paid $110 back in 2011:

https://twitter.com/seankmckeever/status/966001100582195200

And yeah, a successful (10k+) Image book makes good money, but there's not really too many of those. In January, nine Image books sold that much: Walking Dead (84k), Paper Girls (22k), Spawn (two issues at 19k), Kill or be Killed (16k), Monstress (15k), Outcast (12k), Southern Bastards (12k), Days of Hate (10k). 40 total appeared in the top 300.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, I know there's not a lot comics that achieve that level of success at Image, I was more mentioning it because 10k a month is well below the threshold for what would get canceled at Marvel or DC.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

According to the last issue of Hawkeye, there's going to be something involving Kate Bishop starting up in August.

I am just assuming it's going to be a new series.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
A force! A force!

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

What kind of force?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Hawkeye and the Wolverines. Hawkeye, Wolverine (Laura), Jonathan (wolverine), Old Man Logan, and Honey Badger.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Autism Sneaks posted:

Hawkeye and the Wolverines. Hawkeye, Wolverine (Laura), Jonathan (wolverine), Old Man Logan, and Honey Badger.

You left out half the Wolverines.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If my dream of an all woman team lead by Kate comes to fruition I will be able to die happy. Many years from now.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

hadji murad posted:

You left out half the Wolverines.

Those were just the ones that made sense in my head. The Orphans of X arc of All-New Wolverine probably stretched the credulous limits of a Laura/HB/OML/Daken/Creed/Lady Deathstrike team-up, and there still wasn't Jimmy Hudson or the Wolverine hopping around with the Space Stone. I'm still probably forgetting some!

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Genuinely thought for a second that was an upper decker on the last page of Infinity Countdown rather than an infinity stone. To be fair to me, though, that does seem like something he would do.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Like no one expected Voyager to be anything but a villain in disguise right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Like no one expected Voyager to be anything but a villain in disguise right?

I thought that was implicit in her introduction.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Autism Sneaks posted:

Those were just the ones that made sense in my head. The Orphans of X arc of All-New Wolverine probably stretched the credulous limits of a Laura/HB/OML/Daken/Creed/Lady Deathstrike team-up, and there still wasn't Jimmy Hudson or the Wolverine hopping around with the Space Stone. I'm still probably forgetting some!

There is of course Albert. The robot Wolverine who hung around with a little girl robot called Elsie Dee. (LCD.)

And there was a Wolverine made of alien nanites from that Heuston Wolverine Max series (The Best There Is).

And the lil' Wolverine from the X-Babies that Mojo created.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Was the Wolverine MAX comic any good?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Speaking of Wolverine, did he get hyped up and resurrected for the Infinity series and then he drops his Stone somewhere off panel and fucks off? Lol

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Little Mac posted:

Speaking of Wolverine, did he get hyped up and resurrected for the Infinity series and then he drops his Stone somewhere off panel and fucks off? Lol

Yeah pretty much. With an upper decker no less.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Aw, Black Bolt is ending next month. :smith:

At least Crusher is back!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Was the Wolverine MAX comic any good?

The Best There Is?
It's not a Max series as in being out of continuity. It was just super violent and with a bit of body horror.

But I really liked it. Nice 12 part limited series with great art by the guy who drew Black Summer and Robocop.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Erica Henderson off Squirrel Girl
https://twitter.com/EricaFails/status/972287432459800576

Book will still continue, wonder if Ryan North is staying on it, or if it will be a different creative team entirely.

Edit: We also need a new thread title or a new thread.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Honestly, I'd wrap the comic just to preserve it's singular creative focus. Around 50 issues and a graphic novel by one team. It's pretty much just them and Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo who've pulled off something like that in the big two any time recently.

Save us from the Henderson haters swearing they can now buy the book cause everyone stopped having bucked teeth.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 10, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Personally I'm glad someone else will be drawing Squirrel Girl, but I won't deny Henderson had a couple good ideas, like she came up with some really great costumes for Doreen(much better than the costume she had been wearing since GLA brought her out of limbo), and even though she sucked at drawing it properly I do appreciate that she gave Squirrel Girl a body type that is both oddly rare in comics but also fitting for a physically active hero

Hopefully whoever replaces her will keep up both trends

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It took literally two posts to conflate "art I don't like" with "poo poo art that sucks", a new record for Squirrel Girl. Going out on top!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mr. Maltose posted:

It took literally two posts to conflate "art I don't like" with "poo poo art that sucks", a new record for Squirrel Girl. Going out on top!

I actually didn't say that, I just noted an inconsistency in her art

I mean I still think she's a mediocre artist at best and that only a couple artists at Marvel are outright worse than her, also I find it idiotic that people are willing to defend meh art so readily on this site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You don't understand how art works, got it.

• Locked thread