Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RatHat posted:

Heck wasn't Kurapika of ambiguous gender for a long time?

I think he was confirmed as male relatively early on, though it may have taken a few arcs for it to be explicit, but characters definitely acknowledged his androgyny and he even disguised himself as a woman when capturing Chrollo in Yorknew at the least, yeah.

Topic of Kurapika and Tubeppa, actually, just had a realization. The reason I've been thinking about Tubeppa recently is that, rereading things, she's very interested in Kurapika; immediately after he made the call about Nen beasts, Tubeppa, despite her team seemingly not knowing about Nen, realized that he was trying to force a stalemate and wanted more information on him. Her people attending the Nen training are there to try to get him to work with them because Tubeppa thinks he'd be a good ally and "wants his brains". She recognizes his intelligence and desire to deter conflict, and given her goal of stopping the first four princes, becoming king, and granting amnesty to the lower ones (according to Shimano, the maid, at least), their goals are roughly aligned. She is also "allied" with Tserriednich (the two clearly hate each other, so she likely thinks he's less of a threat than Benjamin, Camilla, and Zhang Lei and wants them dead first), and thus could be a route to him for Kurapika, so the two working together, however briefly, seems rather likely to me.

Now, I just remembered Tubeppa's weird Nen beast that needs a "research partner" to function. While fitting with her being a scientist and such, it seemed like an ability that is very unlikely to be used here, particularly given the lack of Nen users among her team. (Or, presumed lack at least; in theory Silent Majority's user could be one of them, but I doubt it.) But, well, as above, she is looking for a partner, and one who happens to know how to use Nen and is intelligent enough to potentially figure out her weird tankfrog's ability even: Kurapika. I have a feeling that we will not only see Kurapika and Tubeppa meet and try cooperating, but that Kurapika will make use of the frog at least once for some purpose or other, possibly being a key part of a plan of his even.

Not sure of much beyond that (beyond that I'm not giving Tubeppa good chances to live despite this, unfortunately; I do like her, but she isn't one I'm expecting to make it to the end), and even this I can't be sure of given how unpredictable the series can be, but, it seems reasonable to me at least.

TL;DR: Tubeppa's Nen beast needs a partner to work, and Tubeppa is trying to partner up with Kurapika, so we might actually see the frog in action if/when they team up.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

I think he was confirmed as male relatively early on, though it may have taken a few arcs for it to be explicit, but characters definitely acknowledged his androgyny and he even disguised himself as a woman when capturing Chrollo in Yorknew at the least, yeah.

IIRC, the disguise scene in Yorknew was when Kurapica was first confirmed to be male.

I think the 1999 anime director has said that he still thinks of Kurapica as female, which some people have suggested is the reason the 1999 anime gives Kurapica more emotional vulnerability than he has in the manga. Though the 1999 anime softens (for lack of a better word) other characters as well, especially Killua, so I don't think it's entirely due to sexism.

I like 1999 as it's own thing, but it is unfortunate that you can't just pick up the manga where it leaves off; you have to unlearn a lot of nuances of characterization.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Silver2195 posted:

IIRC, the disguise scene in Yorknew was when Kurapica was first confirmed to be male.

That is possible; I couldn't remember the specifics, or if it was confirmed out-of-comic earlier than in-comic, which is why I said "relatively early", and while that is in the first half (third or quarter even?) of the manga's run it's definitely still a while in too. At the least, I think it wasn't any later than that; definitely pre-Greed Island.

Meanwhile, bringing back my theory regarding Sakata and Silent Majority, I thought of some other things that might point to him being responsible: First, besides having a gun that could punch through Gyo-boosted defenses, he's the one who shot up the snakes after it killed Barigen, before anyone else could do anything. Could have just been him reacting to them, but also could have been him wiping them out before someone else could try to get a better look or capture one, or the snakes did something potentially implicating him, or something. Covering up evidence, etc.

Second, extremely circumstantial, but Silent Majority needs to kill its victim or it'll cause backlash. When Velereinte accused Sakata of being the one who actually killed Barigen, since he shot him before the was absolutely confirmed dead, Sakata responded that it was obvious that Barigen was dead then. Likely just him defending himself from the accusation, but if he was the ability's user, he'd presumably know that it was successful by that point; he definitely wouldn't have shot if he wasn't sure, at least, as that'd presumably risk causing backlash by accidentally killing Barigen and the snakes early, canceling the ability.

Third, he and his partner, Hashito, immediately tried to arrest Loveely, publicly trying to pin the blame on her. Again, admittedly a thing that someone who isn't behind it could reasonably do anyway, but also fits with him trying to cover for himself. The killer used her as the ability's vector and was hoping for her to create a distraction to get an opportunity to use it, so also using her as a scapegoat follows.

Fourth, he was also the first or one of the first on the scene when Muhan died in the latest chapter, again killing most of the snakes personally. As before, could just be a coincidence, or could be him having gotten in position before he activated the ability so he could be there first, deflect suspicion by being the one to kill the snakes and "help" Kurapika, while also, well, see my first point.

Fifth... Actually, I wound up disproving my fifth point in at least two ways while doing research to support it. So never mind that one.

Anyway, while I feel like I'm forgetting something else, there's all these little things that, while not concrete proof, feel like they at least hint towards Sakata possibly being behind it. It's circumstantial evidence at best, but that's more evidence than we have on anyone else (i.e. Nothing), so if I had to bet now I'd put my money on him. Possibly acting independently, possibly under Zhang Lei's orders; given the first two princes knowing about Nen, the third prince and at least some of his team knowing as well, but hiding that to be underestimated and pull off something by surprise, could be possible, assuming I didn't forget something that explicitly shows that he can't be aware of Nen. Either way,, at first Sakata was presumably trying to kill off or sabotage a competitor to his prince, then, when Kurapika shook up the succession war by mentioning Nen beasts over the emergency channel and offering to teach people Nen, he started taking advantage of the situation, causing chaos and sowing mistrust between Kurapika and the others, attempting to limit the competition's knowledge and force Kurapika towards his own prince by pushing away any other potential allies. Or something like that. This is conjecture at this point, but I think it makes some sense as a motive at least.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 5, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
silent majority was likely what killed the rest of the bodyguards long before kurapika started inviting in outsiders. if it is someone close, that leaves only bill and the smart maid. if it isn't someone who was there from the start, why would they start killing woble's bodyguards remotely, then come over and hang out while continuing to kill? they could have simply kept their distance and remained completely safe.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

silent majority was likely what killed the rest of the bodyguards long before kurapika started inviting in outsiders. if it is someone close, that leaves only bill and the smart maid. if it isn't someone who was there from the start, why would they start killing woble's bodyguards remotely, then come over and hang out while continuing to kill? they could have simply kept their distance and remained completely safe.

Like I said, to take advantage of the situation; Kurapika publicly revealing Nen and Nen beasts hosed up many advantages people who had Nen had (Benjamin changed his entire strategy as a result of this after talking with his sergeant), and also started pushing people together to share information and stuff. After that, Sakata, or really most people who it could conceivably be, would want more information on others for their prince/themselves, but also would not want their competitors who are in the dark regarding Nen to learn more. Going to the Nen training sessions to spy while sabotaging things via a power that can't be traced back to you enables both, though Sakata, being accepted as a bodyguard for Woble until the next banquet, is in a particularly good position for it since Kurapika and co. wanting to ally with Zhang Lei makes him, if not exactly trusted, at least someone they're going to keep around. Also, well, Zhang Lei told him to go with Kurapika, so he kind of has to, whether the prince is in on the plan or it's just coincidence and Zhang Lei genuinely knows nothing about Nen.

Also, it being Bill or Shimano is a very boring twist that at least half the people speculating on the subject have come up with, and doesn't feel like something Togashi would do here. Kurapika tested them both with his chain anyway, so unless they have a means of fooling that, it can't be them. And we know there's another hidden Nen user among the people taking the lessons thanks to Yurikov's internal monologue, so whoever they are they're up to something.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 5, 2018

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I think the 1999 anime director has said that he still thinks of Kurapica as female, which some people have suggested is the reason the 1999 anime gives Kurapica more emotional vulnerability than he has in the manga. Though the 1999 anime softens (for lack of a better word) other characters as well, especially Killua, so I don't think it's entirely due to sexism.

I like 1999 as it's own thing, but it is unfortunate that you can't just pick up the manga where it leaves off; you have to unlearn a lot of nuances of characterization.

Pretty sure Kurapica was confirmed as male before the hunter exam even began. It's just the first anime that was silly with it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I feel like Leorio probably straight-up asked him early on? Or something like that.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I will never back down from the theory that going undercover as a woman is just a genius tactic to forever trick people into assuming that Kurapika must be male.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

He's shirtless on one of the manga covers.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Clarste posted:

Yeah, that's something a lot of people took as an out of comic (sort of) confirmation, since they'd have never have done that if he was a girl. I think that also happened in Yorknew. Oh wow, I looked it up, and that was for volume 14, which was entirely Greed Island chapters. Weird. Looking at the wiki's chapter summaries, it doesn't even include the one where Kurapika made a cameo appearance when Gon and Killua warned him about "Chrollo" being in the game, that happens in the next volume. He's not actually in volume 14 at all.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 5, 2018

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Don't we know as canon that the silent majority user is someone who is taking the Nen class? Because Yurikov/Furykov knows who they are and knows that they're pretending to gradually learn Nen? In which case it's not Bill or the maid. Personally I agree with Roland that Sakata seems like a pretty good guess.

Speaking of names, I might just go through and get the Viz names for everyone in a list somewhere because they seem to change a lot in the MS translations. Does anyone know if there's a good index anywhere of which WSJ issues have Hunter chapters in them? I have all of the issues corresponding to the Succession Arc there's just so many hiatuses I don't want to go through each one and look.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

hito posted:

Don't we know as canon that the silent majority user is someone who is taking the Nen class? Because Yurikov/Furykov knows who they are and knows that they're pretending to gradually learn Nen? In which case it's not Bill or the maid.

Speaking of names, I might just go through and get the Viz names for everyone in a list somewhere because they seem to change a lot in the MS translations. Does anyone know if there's a good index anywhere of which WSJ issues have Hunter chapters in them? I have all of the issues corresponding to the Succession Arc there's just so many hiatuses I don't want to go through each one and look.

no, he knows that there is a hidden nen user there, but it doesn't necessarily follow that it must be the owner of silent majority.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

no, he knows that there is a hidden nen user there, but it doesn't necessarily follow that it must be the owner of silent majority.

Plus he is not interested in sharing anyway.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yeah, it might not be the hidden Nen user, but it seems like a fair guess. Basically, there are three options:

1. It's Bill or Shimano and they not only have a way of fooling Kurapika's chain, but were taking advantage of it when he tested them.
2. It's one of the people in the class, and thus the hidden Nen user, Velereinte (big guy with curly hair who guards Marayam), or one of Harkenburg's guys.
3. It's someone outside the class and Woble's entourage.

3 almost isn't even worth speculating about, since in that case we have nothing to go on and it could be basically anyone, for any reason. Still possible, sure, but if that's the case we likely won't see it coming.

1, there's some arguments there; they're the only ones besides Kurapika who were in Woble's group during the first assassinations, unless Oito's sabotaging herself for some reason, and we don't know whether the puppet can relay its senses back to the user or not; if it can't, then that'd disqualify pretty much everyone else unless they somehow were sneaking around in Woble's chambers. However, that'd also rule out Bill, since during the first lesson he was in the back training Oito and thus couldn't see the things Silent Majority's user was commenting on in the room, unless he was walking away from her bed to peek in periodically and somehow escaped notice. (Or he used En and no one noticed somehow, but that seems unlikely since this arc and the stuff before it established that En is not stealthy.)

Besides that, again, there's the matter of Kurapika's chain, which Bill would have had to fool not once but twice, having been tested after the first assassinations (on whether he knew about the succession war or not) as well as after the one during the first lesson. It could theoretically have been tricked, but it feels a bit rear end pull-y given how it works, and the few ways Kurapika was thinking would work would have required outside manipulation (someone manipulating memories, etc.) that don't make sense here. Also, Shimano saved Kurapika's rear end when the three phone calls came instead of letting him get nothing from Benjamin and alienate Zhang Lei, which doesn't fit with her trying to sabotage things. Plus, there's the thing I mentioned before regarding Bill tanking Vincent's shots; Kurapika noted that a Nen-user, or at least a Conjurer like himself, would have difficulty defending against certain guns even with Nen, which a military (and thus well-armed) man who came to kill Nen users would definitely have, and since Silent Majority is either a Manipulation or a Conjuration, its owner should have similar Enhancement defense ability to Kurapika. Worse, really, since Emperor Time boosts Kurapika and he'd definitely use it in a life-or-death situation. It's possible it's one of them, sure, but I don't think it is. It just doesn't fit.

So, that leaves us with 2, it's someone who's there now. We can probably rule out Harkenburg's guys, unless one of them is brilliant and not only figured out what his prince's Nen beast does on his own, but he managed to perfectly match his companion and fake having Nen but not knowing about it. Also, someone with that kind of power and that level of evil being a part of Harkenburg's crew (and faking the feather marking possibly, since Benjamin's guy watching them seemed to think that it doesn't stick on people not loyal to Harkenburg and his ideals, which the assassin definitely doesn't follow) seems unlikely.

Velereinte... I guess it's possible? Don't have much evidence in favor of that though. Someone working for Marayam or Momoze shouldn't be picking off weaker princes who'd want to ally with their own anyway, though I guess Momoze herself didn't realize that given her beast's actions. (Also, I remember Kurapika's screening catching out some Kakin people as well, if they were hiding anything and such. I can't remember the specifics though, so I'm not sure if not getting screened out would exonerate him. Or Bill really, though we've already established that Bill being it would require him fooling the chain so him getting through the screening would fit too. I'll take another look into this.) Nope, screened hunters could have been hired anyway. Though I think Kurapika would remember if a guy he screened out showed up there anyway.

Lastly, we have the hidden Nen user. Yurikov noted that them hiding their Nen capabilities indicated a lot of experience with stealthy operations, since it was so perfect you wouldn't be able to tell without his tricks, and figured they were likely an assassin based on that and other things. So they seem like a fair bet, even if they may indeed be a red herring or up to something else instead. Most of the other possibilities are worse fits, at least.

From there, if you do think it's them, then it's a matter of trying to figure out who and why. While some can be ruled out (Yurikov's not it, Bhavimaina probably isn't either since his ability is a counter-type one, it probably isn't Dajin since him hiding his Nen use from Tserriednich seems like asking to be killed with that Nen beast lurking around, etc.) it's harder to find someone anything points to. Sakata's the only one I've really thought of anything for, and even that is admittedly not much.

I hope we get some more information before the reveal; it feels like it's meant to be a mystery for the readers to think about, so it'd be kind of disappointing to have all this buildup and then it turn out to be something that had no clues at all beforehand and any time thinking about it was pointless.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Plus he is not interested in sharing anyway.

Yep. Yurikov's such a dick he not only isn't going to tell anyone else there, but he even avoided thinking the person's name in order to spite the readers as well.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 6, 2018

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Besides that, again, there's the matter of Kurapika's chain, which Bill would have had to fool not once but twice, having been tested after the first assassinations (on whether he knew about the succession war or not) as well as after the one during the first lesson. It could theoretically have been tricked, but it feels a bit rear end pull-y given how it works, and the few ways Kurapika was thinking would work would have required outside manipulation (someone manipulating memories, etc.) that don't make sense here.

Well, if you're creating a nen ability specifically for the purpose of committing the perfect crime, why not have it make you into the perfect criminal in the process? I can imagine something like an ability where you take your intent to kill someone and separate it from yourself entirely, leaving it as an automated process until it's complete. No one could ever catch you.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Clarste posted:

Well, if you're creating a nen ability specifically for the purpose of committing the perfect crime, why not have it make you into the perfect criminal in the process? I can imagine something like an ability where you take your intent to kill someone and separate it from yourself entirely, leaving it as an automated process until it's complete. No one could ever catch you.

That's complicated (though I suppose that fits this series really), but it is an interesting idea. Could explain other aspects of Silent Majority's weirdness too, like it relying on visible snakes that can be killed and take time to work, or it using another person as a vector who also needs to spot the puppet for the ability to work: They'd be limitations to enable that kind of power. It'd also make the backlash even nastier, since you would have no expectation of it and thus it'd be more likely to kill you. Especially if it takes your ability to use Nen (which would fit Shimano being able to lie about having Nen to Kurapika); becoming a "normal" person for the power's duration and being completely vulnerable should it fail is a harsh drawback, even if it also enables you to hide better.

While I don't know how likely it is, I do like that idea quite a bit. About the only theory where it's Bill or Shimano I like so far, really.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Clarste posted:

Doesn't matter; Kurapika will always be a girl in my heart.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

What if Silent Majority’s user is just hiding in the room like under a chair or in a plant or something and is really good at zetsu?

The scene in Yorknew where Kurapika takes off the wig rules because it’s like
“I didn’t expect the chain user to be a girl.”
“Who says I am?” *takes off feminine wig to reveal equally feminine hair*

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

What if Silent Majority’s user is just hiding in the room like under a chair or in a plant or something and is really good at zetsu?

Perhaps the most unexpected returning character thus far, Meleoron comes back as the assassin's accomplice, having learned to hold his breath for much, much longer than before, and otherwise spends much of his time amusing himself by doing things like messing with Kurapika while hidden. The assassin is revealed when he abruptly dies of lung cancer and leaves Silent Majority's user unguarded.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

We truly are seeing only the proverbial 'tip of the iceberg' of this arc. Look attentively at the second half of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q6SMqb1wF8

Look at how many characters there are! Several of them still haven't appeared. For example Tsubeppa, which we speculated maybe she was going to die soon given the lack of POV from her side, it has several characters from her faction here:

The third row only seems dedicated to her fellow scientists.

And let's think how Kurapica isn't anywhere close enough to his objective. After all this Silent Majority business ends, I think he will try to talk with Halkenburg in the next banquet, to make an alliance. And the point of that alliance was to try to get in contact with Tserriendich as he was supposed to be in good relations with Halk.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 6, 2018

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

this is like day 3 of the 60 day trip so yeah we just started

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Turin Turambar posted:

We truly are seeing only the proverbial 'tip of the iceberg' of this arc. Look attentively at the second half of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q6SMqb1wF8

Look at how many characters there are! Several of them still haven't appeared. For example Tsubeppa, which we speculated maybe she was going to die soon given the lack of POV from her side, it has several characters from her faction here:

The third row only seems dedicated to her fellow scientists.

And let's think how Kurapica isn't anywhere close enough to his objective. After all this Silent Majority business ends, I think he will try to talk with Halkenburg in the next banquet, to make an alliance. And the point of that alliance was to try to get in contact with Tserriendich as he was supposed to be in good relations with Halk.

Well, this is more support for my ideas regarding Tsubeppa, since we're apparently getting a much better look at her, and one of the best ways for that is Kurapika going and meeting with her. Even if it doesn't go how I predicted, I'm glad we'll be seeing more of her at least; she was one of the ones I was curious about since the first reveal of the princes.

And yeah, this arc is going to be massive unless we get some serious time skips. Hopefully the release schedule doesn't get as bad as the Chimera Ant arc, because it looks like it can easily be as long as it was.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Kild posted:

this is like day 3 of the 60 day trip so yeah we just started

sigh~ what is it with boats. authors cannot get off them.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tangent from the above, why did people switch from "Tsubeppa" to "Tubeppa", actually? From what I've seen the character for the first syllable is "tsu", and "Tsubeppa" flows better in my opinion. Was that how Viz decided to go with it and everyone else followed? Same with Harkenburg-Halkenburg, the former sounds better, at least in my opinion.

Lpzie posted:

sigh~ what is it with boats. authors cannot get off them.

A significant portion of One Piece is on boats too, which is why it's going to last forever.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 7, 2018

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
I really hope we at least get to the continent before the next major break.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'd settle for the Kakin arc resolving.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Haha, no.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol it's far from reaching even a climax, much less resolving within 10 chapters or so.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Weren't the Spiders going to attack at the next banquet?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Hey I know it's not happening but as long as we're talking about our ideal places for the break to happen, that's mine.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Roland Jones posted:

Well, this is more support for my ideas regarding Tsubeppa, since we're apparently getting a much better look at her, and one of the best ways for that is Kurapika going and meeting with her. Even if it doesn't go how I predicted, I'm glad we'll be seeing more of her at least; she was one of the ones I was curious about since the first reveal of the princes.

And yeah, this arc is going to be massive unless we get some serious time skips. Hopefully the release schedule doesn't get as bad as the Chimera Ant arc, because it looks like it can easily be as long as it was.

Actually from looking at the video he has a sheet for each Prince with all of their staff.

Also it is currently Night 4 of the Trip.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Weren't the Spiders going to attack at the next banquet?

No. They are currently looking for Hisoka and are also seeking information for moving between floors.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

MonsterEnvy posted:

No. They are currently looking for Hisoka and are also seeking information for moving between floors.

We should get a bracket going on how many members survive the trip. Sucks, I like the phantom troupe/ dislike Hisoka

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

My prediction is that they will all destroy each other. As most maybe one single member of the Spiders survive, but the group itself will be dead.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

My prediction is that they will all destroy each other. As most maybe one single member of the Spiders survive, but the group itself will be dead.

I think Kurapica isn't quite ruthless enough to kill Kalluto, and my theory is that Kalluto only joined in the first place so he could get in Killua's good graces by betraying the other members to Kurapica anyway.

I'm not sure if Hisoka would kill Kalluto. Normally he'd restrain himself from doing so, since Kalluto is both "unripe fruit" and Illumi's brother, but he seems to be angry enough at Phantom Troupe right now to throw most of his principles, such as they are, out the window.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kalluto probably won't die because his power wasn't even used by Chrollo.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Turin Turambar posted:

I gotta say man, I don't think that is a very likely outcome. They may argue a lot but you gotta take two things into account;
1. Chrollo is there with them
2. They have an established way of settling internal disputes.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, while I think that some if not most dying here is fairly likely, it's not going to be them killing each other. Hisoka, Kurapika, and the other things on the ship are.

As for Kalluto, while I'd give him better chances of survival than most of the Troupe, it's not because of mercy from Hisoka; the clown's lost it. I mean, during the Election Arc, he was thinking of killing Alluka and thus letting Gon die, which would piss off Killua and require killing him too, thus pissing off Illumi and making him an enemy, so that he got at least one of the three even if it meant sacrificing Gon and Killua before they were "ready", and that was before he died and came back with an intense hate-on for Chrollo and the Troupe. If Kalluto encounters Hisoka and lives, it won't be because Hisoka wants to wait for him to be ready, but some other factor.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dazoner posted:

I gotta say man, I don't think that is a very likely outcome. They may argue a lot but you gotta take two things into account;
1. Chrollo is there with them
2. They have an established way of settling internal disputes.

I think he means when they said destroy each other they was talking about Hisoka and the Phantom Troupe. Not just the Phantom Troupe.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I’m expecting the Troupe and Hisoka to all be dead this arc (possibly minus Kalluto) and Kurapika to be on his deathbed from Emperor Time overuse. I’m assuming Leorio finding a way to rescue him will be part of his motivation in the Dark Continent arc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Some spoilers are out and it's like Togashi is reading the thread.