Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Sorry I think I didn't explain myself well. What is the gap I highlighted in pink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

How do you think a letter 'g' fits in a line?
e: your example seems to have line height slightly above 1em, otherwise you'd have to cut the parent block if you want to narrow it further.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

huhu posted:

Sorry I think I didn't explain myself well. What is the gap I highlighted in pink?

What gap? :smug: But seriously, it's space for descenders. You should also set line-height: 1; if you really want it nestled down as much as it could be (I added that and the border to demonstrate in the screenshot)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
How's this for a web fizzbuzz:
What's going on here, and what are a few ways to get it to what you wanted?
<div style="display:inline-block;width:40px;height:20px">
<div style="display:inline-block;width:20px;height:20px"></div>
</div>

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."

Analytic Engine posted:

</div>

I believe I can generalise here: wut

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Analytic Engine posted:

Start a new career making homemade artisanal jams?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Analytic Engine posted:

</div>

[long boring history]

Code like the above was normal in the Frontpage era. I am happy that ended.

Tei fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 8, 2018

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

I suppose you'd never see this "bug" if you automatically minify code, since it strips the return character out from the sibling divs

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

People minify HTML? :psyduck:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
This might belong in the Ruby thread, but is there a good way, in Jekyll, to concatenate several pages together? I have a guide for some projects, with each project broken into three phases, and a page for each phase. Easy enough. However, my boss wants to be able to print off the entire guide at once, all three phases together. At present, the best way I can see is to create a fourth page to cover the entire guide, but that would mean it has to be kept in sync with the other three pages. Alternatively, I can just have the one mega-page, and use JS to switch back and forth between phases of the project, but I went with Jekyll to avoid that sort of thing.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

kedo posted:

People minify HTML? :psyduck:

It depends on the target audience I think. I have. It can actually strip 30-50kb out of a pure html site if you do it. Think static single page site.

It's really just stripping whitespace and comments. Mostly useful for mobile viewing.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I have our templating engine strip all white space on output because why not? The browser dev tools can still generate the tree view just fine.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Question: does anyone have experience with Google Optimize breaking events in a React app? I have an input that calls a function onFocus which works fine normally. However the cLiEnT added in Google Optimize to do some A/B work and now when optimize runs it seemingly prevents my events from firing properly.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Tei posted:

[long boring history]

Code like the above was normal in the Frontpage era. I am happy that ended.

Can you PM me the long boring history? I see stuff like this in legacy codebases and have to explain old-timey web quirks to people

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 9, 2018

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

duz posted:

I have our templating engine strip all white space on output because why not? The browser dev tools can still generate the tree view just fine.

The prettify feature is being deprecated in pugjs. Which is ok, white space between elements can have weird effects

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
My HTML build step not only strips whitespace, I have it reduce all my tags down to one letter. :colbert:

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Lumpy posted:

My HTML build step not only strips whitespace, I have it reduce all my tags down to one letter. :colbert:

Which letter?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Variable 5 posted:

Which letter?

Pretend I knew how to type the "poo" emoji here.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Lumpy posted:

Pretend I knew how to type the "poo" emoji here.

💩
If you're on windows you can type them from the touch keyboard.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Shy posted:

💩
If you're on windows you can type them from the touch keyboard.

I can type them from my computer too, but I refuse to on principle.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Man you guys are living in the future with that tech.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nolgthorn posted:

Man you guys are living in the future with that tech.

Or the past

:nexus:

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Stop it stop showing off!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I hope this is the best place to ask this, but is Wordpress still the best option for people who're looking for an online store + blogging platform? Asking because I have a client (she sells locally-sourced jams and chutneys) who wants both of these things and they're intrigued by Wix. She tried the Wix trial and likes it, but Wix seems to use a packaged, monthly-subscription pricing model that lumps in a bunch of maybe-not-necessary features and she wants to reduce her costs as much as possible.

She already has a domain name + hosting at separate companies (and an existing website that she hates and wants to overhaul, which is why she approached me). So I'm thinking of just using a nice paid Wordpress theme running Woo Commerce and launching it for her. I just wasn't sure if WP or Wix or whatever is the best option around, these days.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 12, 2018

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Also look at Squarespace as an alternative to Wix, but you are otherwise on the right track and it really only affects how much work you want to put in to maintain the site after launch.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Fool posted:

Also look at Squarespace as an alternative to Wix, but you are otherwise on the right track and it really only affects how much work you want to put in to maintain the site after launch.
The goal is to put in minimal (let's say 'zero') work to maintain the site after launch. This client's needs are pretty simple, but she definitely isn't tech savvy enough to ever want to deal with anything beyond selling/listing her products for the online store and writing the occasional blog entry.

EDIT: Thanks guys. Will probably recommend a non-WordPress solution mainly because of the streamlined simplicity it would give my client. Leaning towards either Wix or Shopify.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 12, 2018

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

Also look at Squarespace as an alternative to Wix

Also worth mentioning Shopify here

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

melon cat posted:

The goal is to put in minimal (let's say 'zero') work to maintain the site after launch. This client's needs are pretty simple, but she definitely isn't tech savvy enough to ever want to deal with anything beyond selling/listing her products for the online store and writing the occasional blog entry.

So yeah, stick with Wix, Squarespace or Shopify.

I don’t know about Wix, but Shopify has its own merchant provider and Squarespace uses Stripe. If that helps at all.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

FWIW the code I posted was not about inline styling, it was an example of inline-block siblings having an "extra" space in the rendered DOM due to the return character in the HTML

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5078239/how-do-i-remove-the-space-between-inline-block-elements

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Hello, I am trash and please tell me why my portfolio project is also pathetic, worthless, and not good enough to get an interview with tia https://wanderrful.github.io/korean-learning-app/

Known reasons:
  • The spinning check-mark at the end is dumb and should be replaced with something more simple
  • There should be a hint message that pops up after X wrong answer attempts
  • There should be some kind of prompt to specifically tell you to translate the thing to English
  • Redux hasn't been successfully shoehorned in randomly just for the sake of it

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Even if you're kidding that attitude makes me hate it!!!!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Nolgthorn posted:

Stop it stop showing off!

Wait, that works?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Wait, that works?

It does! Emoji are Unicode symbols.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Love Stole the Day posted:

Hello, I am trash and please tell me why my portfolio project is also pathetic, worthless, and not good enough to get an interview with tia https://wanderrful.github.io/korean-learning-app/

Known reasons:
  • The spinning check-mark at the end is dumb and should be replaced with something more simple
  • There should be some kind of prompt to specifically tell you to translate the thing to English

I can't get past question one but my instinct tells me it's using some kind of overly elaborate library for something otherwise simple. Oh, yeah it's using bootstrap, and therefore also jquery. Oh holy it's also using react. Well, at least you're demonstrating your ability to use it for the pros.

Good lord, the webpage is approx 600 bytes, but the html/css hauls it up to more than half a meg. For what it's doing I don't like the size of it.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Known reasons:

It'd be nice to see what I've already tried/guessed

E: it'd be really nifty if you found the longest common substring with what the user enters and what you're expecting and indicated it somehow in that list as a guide

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 12, 2018

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Known reasons:

You nailed it on the spinning check-mark, that's got to be replaced

Edit: The answers are "secret," "chicken," and "pencil." I used google translate.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Fool posted:

Do not look into Squarespace, it makes absolutely zero sense because it tries to be too flexible, in a very obtuse way because trying to replace things that you could do in three lines of code with a bizarre and ill-conceived GUI makes things much easier, right???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I thought about making a website builder that is intentionally not meant for professional looking websites. But instead mimics Geocities neighbourhoods of old, and lets you sort of drag and drop elements that look like 90's era stuff. Webrings, animates gifs, stuff like that.

Is there any market? It could advertise 5MB of free space on the top, it could be basically like old times again.