Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Every kind of shooting is bad tho.

So overall, we're doin' p good on the "less shootings" front and should keep it up.

Edit: Fewer shootings? Someone tell me because I went to school in America and don't know.

A good way to keep it up would be by getting rid of guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

A good way to keep it up would be by getting rid of guns
You should form some kind of association to advocate for that.

I hear that sort of thing is very effective.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I know its been a joke since like, the West Wing, but NRA members elect the NRA board directly and if 5 million +1 anti gun people joined the NRA then boom its an organization for common sense gun control in America.

It costs money to join but once you won you'd control all the money plus all the money the 5 million gun nuts gave them.

Who could afford to back such an endeavor? Michael Bloomberg could it would cost him like 1.5 billion dollars, ( 5 million 300 dollar life memberships) but in the end when they made him head of the NRA i guess he could give it all back to himself or something. He has 50 billion dollars so it wouldn't really be that big of a deal for him one way or the other.

Come to think of it with all that money he could do some real damage to the gun industry by buying gun and ammunition manufacturers.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 8, 2018

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I wholly expect the existing NRA board would unilaterally implement totalitarianism in their organization if that were even under threat of happening.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

hakimashou posted:

I know its been a joke since like, the West Wing, but NRA members elect the NRA board directly and if 5 million +1 anti gun people joined the NRA then boom its an organization for common sense gun control in America.

It costs money to join but once you won you'd control all the money plus all the money the 5 million gun nuts gave them.

Who could afford to back such an endeavor? Michael Bloomberg could it would cost him like 1.5 billion dollars, ( 5 million 300 dollar life memberships) but in the end when they made him head of the NRA i guess he could give it all back to himself or something. He has 50 billion dollars so it wouldn't really be that big of a deal for him one way or the other.

Come to think of it with all that money he could do some real damage to the gun industry by buying gun and ammunition manufacturers.

I can't imagine why people would be reluctant to literally give money to an organization they find abhorre t, what retarded poo poo is this

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

hakimashou posted:

Cerberus Capital already did that.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I can't imagine why people would be reluctant to literally give money to an organization they find abhorre t, what retarded poo poo is this

To try to take it over.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

hakimashou posted:

To try to take it over.

And in the meantime, assuming this asinine plan would actually be successful, you'd be funding something you're against

Sounds fuckin rad where can I sign up

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Also if a bunch of alcoholics joined MADD...

Hold on a bit guys I gotta go pitch this at the bar.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

hakimashou posted:

To try to take it over.

Again do you seriously think the NRA would just go "well'p, guess that's it folks, pack it in, we've been bamboozled !!!" if people tried that?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If you hate Nazis so much why don't you join the trad workers party and change it from the inside said the brain genius

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Also if a bunch of alcoholics joined MADD...

Hold on a bit guys I gotta go pitch this at the bar.

Driving drunk would still be illegal we just wouldn't have as many people telling high school kids not to do it

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Now I'm writing a screenplay where the Spanish Inquisition is reimagined as an attempted Jewish takeover of the Catholic Church. The hero is a young Tomás de Torquemada as portrayed by John Leguizamo.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Kazinsal posted:

Again do you seriously think the NRA would just go "well'p, guess that's it folks, pack it in, we've been bamboozled !!!" if people tried that?

They'd face a class action suit from 5 million people who got scammed out of 1.5 billion dollars, bankrolled by a dude with 48.5 billion dollars probably which would wreck them pretty bad.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah Michael Bloomberg that's the hero we need right now

Shut up

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
you prob wouldn't need anywhere near 5 million new members anyway, its only "life members" who get to vote and surely a great many of them don't bother.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

hakimashou posted:

you prob wouldn't need anywhere near 5 million new members anyway, its only "life members" who get to vote and surely a great many of them don't bother.

Oh phew that changes everything

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah Michael Bloomberg that's the hero we need right now
Was Bloomberg the one who tried to get the NYPD anti-aircraft missiles or was that Giuliani?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I for one can't wait to give fifteen hundred us American dollars, which is roughly what I make in a month, to an association I abhor, so that I can vote and MAYBE change things when I elect Michael loving Bloomberg

Holy poo poo yeah sign me the gently caress up why aren't we all jumping on this right now

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

hakimashou posted:

Fewer, fewer goes with countable words.

less violence, fewer shootings

Nah, less can be used with countable words. If it was good enough for Alfred the Great, father of English literature, it's good enough for me.

That rule you're quoting was just made-up by some sixteenth-century pedant with a stick up his rear end, it's not an English rule and has never borne any resemblance to how English-speaking people write or speak.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 8, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Was Bloomberg the one who tried to get the NYPD anti-aircraft missiles or was that Giuliani?

I was expecting it to be Rudy but nope that was Bloomberg

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Bloomberg has an insane amount of money and is a leading gun control activist.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

hakimashou posted:

Bloomberg has an insane amount of money and is a leading gun control activist.

And tried to get surface to air missiles for the NYPD, hard pass on electing him to literally any position of power including pta chairman

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

And tried to get surface to air missiles for the NYPD, hard pass on electing him to literally any position of power including pta chairman

What does the one thing have to do with the other?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

hakimashou posted:

He's poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also leading gun control proponent in America is a low fuckin bar

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

hakimashou posted:

The NYPD is the police force that had to special order new, harder to shoot, guns because they accidentally shot themselves so much.

Michael Bloomberg only makes bad decisions.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also leading gun control proponent in America is a low fuckin bar
Leland Yee was lookin' good for the job until he went to jail for gun running.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The NYPD is the police force that had to special order new, harder to shoot, guns because they accidentally shot themselves so much.

Michael Bloomberg only makes bad decisions.

Leland Yee was lookin' good for the job until he went to jail for gun running.

Also if you're in favor of increasing police arsenals you're not really that in favor of gun control since disarming the police is an important step two

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also if you're in favor of increasing police arsenals you're not really that in favor of gun control since disarming the police is an important step two
Disarming the NYPD should be step one.

Because seriously, they run a special 12lb trigger on their guns in an attempt to avoid cop self-blastings. Which helps explain why they never hit anything they shoot at and constantly shoot random passerby.

Edit: IIRC they also took away flashlights and issued weapon lights instead until one of them killed some random dude by accident while using his Glock as a flashlight.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The NYPD gets disarmed, everyone else in the city is armed, but you're only allowed to shoot police and it's presumed to be self defense

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The NYPD gets disarmed, everyone else in the city is armed, but you're only allowed to shoot police and it's presumed to be self defense
Convert Manhattan into a prison. Issue each resident below the top tax bracket a Mac-10 with a huge telescopic sight on it, an eye patch, and a black tank top, and make them all guards.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The same idea but we just take all of Bezos money and make him live in a lovely walk up with no electricity and busted plumbing and everyone can kick him in th nuts

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

Mandatory gun ownership for minorites and LGBT.

C'mon, GOP, prove how not racist you are.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

loving lmao. Yea I'm sure once elections are more fair, Jimbo isn't going to care about potentially overthrowing the government anymore. Did you see Oregon?
...yeah? Not every single last one of course, there are always going to be some hardliners but on the whole I would bet it would help lower this kind of sentiments dramatically.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

MixMastaTJ posted:

Mandatory gun ownership for minorites and LGBT.

C'mon, GOP, prove how not racist you are.

Mandatory is stupid but I am sure most minorities that were a victim of a hate-crime assault in the street or a targeted break in would have loved to have a gun to defend themselves with. Hell, one of the testimonies they chose for District of Columbia v. Heller was a gay man who was going to get stomped by a group of 10 guys that only was able to deter them when he took out his concealed carry handgun.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

patonthebach posted:

Mandatory is stupid but I am sure most minorities that were a victim of a hate-crime assault in the street or a targeted break in would have loved to have a gun to defend themselves with. Hell, one of the testimonies they chose for District of Columbia v. Heller was a gay man who was going to get stomped by a group of 10 guys that only was able to deter them when he took out his concealed carry handgun.

If have gun not happen

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

VitalSigns posted:

Notice how the metastudy of gun control and violence has been buried by pages of bad faith arguments and nitpicking pedantry about whether lobbying really affects anything maybe all those corporate campaign donations are just a charity for underprivileged politicians.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
In case anyone actually wants to comment on it and missed it...

https://www.bdsnet.de/downloads/study-firearms.pdf

https://ssaa.org.au/assets/news-res...by_firearms.pdf

Their conclusions were that poverty/income inequality were the common factors to having high homicide rates. Gun availability/ownership and tight gun regulations did not correlate with having a low homicide rate.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Boy this is shocking stuff that hasn't been gone over yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Boy this is shocking stuff that hasn't been gone over yet
Gunthred, gunthred never changes.

• Locked thread