Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Rathian Spike + feels way too rare for how many they want of them. I think to upgrade just one Rathian weapon it takes like 15 of them and they drop for me once every 5-8~ Rathian hunts breaking everything to maximize chances.

Tail curve is 70%
Wound back is 30%
Carve is 16% per carve
Capture is 16% per slot
Silver is 22%
Gold is 22%

Pink Rathian has lower chances and none at all for carve/capture.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Shwqa posted:

Pink Rathian had a lower chances and none at all at carve/capture

Daughter of a BASTARD, that's why! I figured I should be hunting Pinks to get the good poo poo!

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

What the gently caress is the third limited bounty and how do I remove those question marks?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

What the gently caress is the third limited bounty and how do I remove those question marks?

Get to 8* quests in the campaign.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I think that was the one that required 8-Star hunts, which are Elder Dragons, and they're probably question marks for you cause you're not there in the main campaign yet?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

big nipples big life posted:

You are cutting the tail and breaking the back each time right?

Yep, bad luck means I would either get 0 or only 1 from the tail per run. And I gotta switch it up, focusing on a single monster over and over gets boring. I only need 4 more though, so I'm hoping I won't need to craft any other Rathian gear.

Shwqa posted:

Tail curve is 70%
Wound back is 30%
Carve is 16% per carve
Capture is 16% per slot
Sliver is 22%
Gold is 22%

Pink Rathian had a lower chances and none at all at carve/capture

Thanks for this! Now I just have to get more vouchers.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

This week's quests were annoying as poo poo because I couldn't make any of them overlap. Every 8 star investigation I had was some other kind of wyvern, and none of them or the brute wyvern hunts I had were in the coral highlands.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

This week's quests were annoying as poo poo because I couldn't make any of them overlap. Every 8 star investigation I had was some other kind of wyvern, and none of them or the brute wyvern hunts I had were in the coral highlands.

8 star kirin?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You can knock out the coral/8 star ones if you have Kirin investigations, there aren't any brutes in the coral highlands though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

Evade window 5. Be the roll to win Dark souls meme

This is the truth

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I've come to the conclusion that pubs are allergic to all the powders. I shouldn't be getting support all star with a bow.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Norns posted:

8 star kirin?

Ah, I still don't have that quest somehow. Is that the one that pops at HR49?

I don't really enjoy the Kirin fight anyway, but yeah that would have been convenient.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Just learned by accident you can put out fires by rolling 3 times.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

tried to do the hr49 kirin fight again after not succeeding for ~2 weeks and then it spawned him extra large so i couldnt hit his head at all

i'm done

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

They didn't overlap for me, but I think they timed them pretty well outside of the 8 Star ones. 3 Brute Wyverns came out around the same time as the Aloy gear so I got that done at the same time I was getting the tickets for her armor. And the Coral Highlands bounty came out with the Wiggler Mask and the new 'try to find large/small monsters' event quest both of which take place there. The Elder Dragons though, yeah, outside of Kirin you can't really tie them in.

You can fight Kirin before the HR 49 quest though, if you get an investigation or just research him enough to pop the optional quest. I think that's how I got it anyway.

Rythe posted:

How... how were you dealing with fire before this? Did you just burn?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

How... how were you dealing with fire before this? Did you just burn?

Vitality mantle and potions, thankfully I'm pretty good at dodging, only took me to 7 star quests to figure that out.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rythe posted:

I figured this out in MH3U by asking myself "what if stop drop and roll works in-game?" and lo

This is the sort of thing that only happens if it really is your first rodeo.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

big nipples big life posted:

I've come to the conclusion that pubs are allergic to all the powders. I shouldn't be getting support all star with a bow.

You... shouldn't? I use a bow and spam powders because I'm back away from the monster in relative safety...

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Ah, I still don't have that quest somehow. Is that the one that pops at HR49?

I don't really enjoy the Kirin fight anyway, but yeah that would have been convenient.

You should have 8 star optionals for each elder if you've finished the main story

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

BardoTheConsumer posted:

You... shouldn't? I use a bow and spam powders because I'm back away from the monster in relative safety...

I use a spread up elemental build so i'm about the same distance as most melee weapons

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Rythe posted:

Someone slept through the fire safety video.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Rythe posted:

This also works on blastblight.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
You can also clear fire in one roll if it's through water.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

There's something funny about seeing support all star (hammer) 36 buffs + heals applied.

E: Wtf

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 8, 2018

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The HR 100 Quest is just 3 the three tempered elder dragons and maybe an achievement right? There's nothing else tied to it?

At this point I'm comfortable in my attack/guard armor and don't really need to strive for any other sets and augmenting is a huge boring pain in the rear end so I think the hunt for a Protective Polish gem is my final endgame, though I will likely keep playing to just have fun with hunting and practicing other weapons of course.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Beat the tempered Kirin. I have decided that I loving hate the Kirin.

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

Poniard posted:

tried to do the hr49 kirin fight again after not succeeding for ~2 weeks and then it spawned him extra large so i couldnt hit his head at all

i'm done

Urugaan set bonus, guard 5 and lance. Poke til he dies. The cirlce poke hits up at his horn .It took me like two weeks til I did this. If you got thunder mantle and thunder resistance gems you will do better. This strat will take like 20 minutes solo tho unless u do like fire lance and fire attack buff and weakness exploit etc.

Also he has a lot of tells. With that set i just posted, you can watch him the whole time and he can't hit you as long as youre blocking.

pepperchomp fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 8, 2018

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What setup do yall use to get free ammo 3 for hbg?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Digirat posted:

This is the truth

It's more than truth. It is life. It's probably more damage than 5 attack with all the bullshit you can just roll through without even trying.

I wonder what sharpen skills you can fit on a non element hammer set. I currently have:

Non elemental 1
Handicraft 5
Evade 5
WE 3
Attack 3, Ideally 4
Brace 1 because people are assholes.

I guess I want some grinder and one of the sharpness set bonus gems?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's something funny about seeing support all star (hammer) 36 buffs + heals applied.

E: Wtf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsyvOYcWgcg

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

pepperchomp posted:

Urugaan set bonus, guard 5 and lance. Poke til he dies. The cirlce poke hits up at his horn .It took me like two weeks til I did this. If you got thunder mantle and thunder resistance gems you will do better. This strat will take like 20 minutes solo tho unless u do like fire lance and fire attack buff and weakness exploit etc.

Also he has a lot of tells. With that set i just posted, you can watch him the whole time and he can't hit you as long as youre blocking.
Yeah I turtled Tempered Kirin the first time I fought him with the Nerg Lance, but then I came back with more Elder Dragon Fightin' experience and the final Rath Lance with Handicraft 4 and he loving melted, it was wonderful.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Best way to fight Kirin is lbg circle strafe, it makes him very easy

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Gotta drag myself away from the gunlance* because its endulging my worst Dark Souls tendencies of turtling up. I love it so much but I have to admit the last couple days in multiplayer have not been as successful as with solo. I'm looking for something that is more mobile and/or team centric. In Solo its a lot easier to have the monster stick to me like glue letting me punish it easily and making repositioning relatively simple, but with more people it gets a lot more chaotic and harder to stay on top on the monster.

Someone earlier posted their Wiggler helmet S&S build that seems like it'd be more fun and useful in multiplayer, bow is the ranged option I find easiest to play (neither type of bowgun really feel right to me), but Switch Axe and stacking Evade skills to pretend I'm playing Bloodborne also feels like I might contribute more than my current strategies. Anyone have strong opinions about those three?

*also tired of farming rathian spikes

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Bleck posted:

This also works on blastblight.

It works on every blight, but most of them take more rolls than those 2. Dragonblight specifically takes waaaaay too many rolls to be worth it.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

VoLaTiLe posted:

Best way to fight Kirin is lbg circle strafe, it makes him very easy

I'd argue that not fighting kirin is the best way to fight kirin.

rear end in a top hat horse.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I just tried charge blade for the first time. After looking back and forth between the game and the weapon guide on my phone while muttering 'what the gently caress' at the controls, I eventually got it together and pulled off consistent SAEDs. Now I have never shot up heroin in my life but I imagine it feels very similar to landing a SAED right on the monster's nose.

Yeah, SAEDs feel nice. A well-timed Condensed Element Slash to charge up the blade feels good too because it's got such a long wind-up (and I'm still not very good at recognizing openings). The CB flow feels great when it's all coming together and you're going smoothly from explosions to the phial fill to the charge and then back to explosions.

This video was very useful, he's very smooth and efficient at the CB flow, like delaying the phial fill to improve position until it's chainable with the shield/sword charge and other such sequences. Improved my stuttery flow no end watching how he chains moves even though he's not talking about it in the video.

I'm charging up the sword more often for eg since I'll wait now if it seems I'll get an opening to charge the phials and go directly into the condensed slash instead of treating them as distinct parts of the flow. Then again, I'm new to Monster Hunter and this is probably old hat to experienced players.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Before I started on my gold crown hunt that I’ve mentioned before, I was doing a whole bunch of arena missions, and during them I tried the Lance which I had never used much previously.

I had previously ignored it because why would I use a Lance when I could use a GUNLANCE which is way cooler and has explosions. (What saddens me the most is that I cannot get a handle on the Gunlance and struggle to use it whenever I try :smith: .)

I discovered the Lance is a amazing weapon and even let me solo the two Diablos’ arena mission much easier than fighting a single Diablos with other weapons I’ve used (I am bad at Diablos even with screamer pods).

I want to build myself a Lance set, so question 1:
Is there a recommended Lance that’s good at fighting most things, similar to the rathian gunlance? Or do I need multiple elemental Lance to switch between?

Question 2:
I think I want to get Guard 5 while using the Lance, is this a good idea or is this overkill and I don’t need that many ranks and just use the Guard charm with 3 ranks?

Question 3:
I don’t have a Guard Up decoration, so would making the charm that has Guard Up be a good idea, or would I be better off using the guard charm and skipping guard up?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

nerdz posted:

You're not overrating Attack XL. It's so important that Horns without it are situational at best.

:cawg:

qbert posted:

What you're supposed to do is create a build with Mushroomancer 3, then at the start of the hunt eat all the buff mushrooms, then switch to your real build in the tent.

:cawg:

Republicans posted:

Not worth the hassle, IMO. The real star of Mushroomancer is the Dash Juice equivalent and that doesn't last very long.

Lasts as long as regular dash juice, but doesn't need an annoying rear end monster drop to get it. Real good for bow, insect glaive, dual swords, and just about anyone else really because dodging is good. Also mushroomancer is kind of a pain to get on armor because the charm is only two of the three ranks, but if you can somehow find the rarity 8 gem it's the smallest size so very easy to fit in that way. The blue mushrooms also heal much more rapidly than regular potions especially with speed eating. The other items are good too, being able to cart around 10 reduced-cost max potions is really strong. Mostly it is just a cost saving measure though.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Someone earlier posted their Wiggler helmet S&S build that seems like it'd be more fun and useful in multiplayer, bow is the ranged option I find easiest to play (neither type of bowgun really feel right to me), but Switch Axe and stacking Evade skills to pretend I'm playing Bloodborne also feels like I might contribute more than my current strategies. Anyone have strong opinions about those three?

SnS is mostly paired with wide range because it has a perk where you can use items with the radial wheel without putting it away first. You can still get the job done if you're fast enough on the draw/sheath with other weapons, but certain ones like lance or heavy bowgun have longer sheath times and those really add up. Quick sheath can actually be a good skill to pair with unconventional wide range choices for that reason. Also speed eating. It doesn't change how fast potions apply, but it still lets you cycle items quicker. One of the reasons mushroomancer wide range is good is because blue mushrooms are faster to use and apply than regular potions.

That said, even without the time saving skills or sns, any time you heal at least two people wide range is still an overall time savings for the group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

That's pretty good, but I feel this captures the essence of the Rotten Vale better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjRJzYuR2BA