Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Agents are GO! posted:

I love the original Nier, but it did have two problems related to the fishing: Both explanations of the mechanics of it (manual and in game) were, as much as I can remember, wrong. As in this-part-was-written-by-somebody-who'd-never-played-the-game wrong (It told you to press the stick in the wrong direction.) Secondly, yes, that quest had a fishing spot ridiculously close to another fishing spot and the quest wasn't real clear with it's directions.

The game was awesome, but those two things were bad.

It had a giant red x pointing where you would go missing that was on you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

haveblue posted:

And then it finally shakes the church off its head, and it launches a huge fireball at you, which you counter by throwing the remains of the church at it.

That game is utterly loving batshit and it's glorious.

Yeah, Bayonetta is fantastic and the sequel is even better.

The Nintendo costumes change more than you think. For example, the Link outfit changes halos to rupees and adds the classic Zelda puzzle solving jingle

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

haveblue posted:

And then it finally shakes the church off its head, and it launches a huge fireball at you, which you counter by throwing the remains of the church at it.

That game is utterly loving batshit and it's glorious.

Please don't remind me of that loving qte

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Please don't remind me of that loving qte

It killed me twice before I got the timing down. I died to every stage of every boss so far though, so I'm glad it checkpoints frequently.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's worse when you're going for good scores and do the rest of the level perfectly :negative:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Len posted:

A video game asking me to look at a map to figure out my destination is a sin. :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

A video game asking me to look at a map to figure out my destination is a sin. :colbert:

Its on the minimap too, so its on screen with where you are not circled as correct.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Len posted:

NieR is possibly my favorite game ever, but that section is definitely counter-intuitive. You are standing at a fishing spot, I didn't even look at the map until I'd failed a few times and decided to see if I had any other things I could do. I also know I've lent my copy of the game to three people and two of them had an issue with the fishing part as well. Great game, but that spot is messy.

I think the way game reviews were/are done also did NieR a disservice beyond just the one fishing ragequit. It is definitely a game that needs to build slowly to get where it is going, and ends up being a 'more-than-the-sum-of-its-parts" kind of deal. I suspect the rapid schedule people play games on for reviews and the way many sites try and act objective in their ratings both hurt it. You can see some 6/10 reviews where the author will even state that they really liked it, but because it is clunky it gets a mediocre rating anyway. Drakengard 3 is... not as good a game. But reading some of the reviews when it came out, it was clear that a lot of reviewers just stopped at ending A. I wouldn't be surprised if they did that for NieR too.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm playing Nier: A for the first time.
It's great except I have no early clue as to where I'm supposed to go.

All my side quests have general markers but the main one doesn't and is telling me to go to a place I have never been before.

A game should never get in your way of playing it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Agents are GO! posted:

I love the original Nier, but it did have two problems related to the fishing: Both explanations of the mechanics of it (manual and in game) were, as much as I can remember, wrong. As in this-part-was-written-by-somebody-who'd-never-played-the-game wrong (It told you to press the stick in the wrong direction.) Secondly, yes, that quest had a fishing spot ridiculously close to another fishing spot and the quest wasn't real clear with it's directions.

The game was awesome, but those two things were bad.

You spent the whole game following a big red X on your map. You get told to go fish at the beach, which has a big red X on the map. Why you would fish at the pier, which does not have a big red X and then get mad is beyond me. It's the only time you have to fish, and if you fail three times in the proper spot they give you the fish automatically. It's not really bad game design if you're just really dumb, man.

Inzombiac posted:

All my side quests have general markers but the main one doesn't and is telling me to go to a place I have never been before.

General guideline is only do sidequests if they actually interest you, if the main quest doesn't tell you where to go directly then you've probably got to talk to someone.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Inzombiac posted:

The thing is You having a good/fun time is literally the last thing Nier cares about

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Nuebot posted:

You spent the whole game following a big red X on your map. You get told to go fish at the beach, which has a big red X on the map. Why you would fish at the pier, which does not have a big red X and then get mad is beyond me. It's the only time you have to fish, and if you fail three times in the proper spot they give you the fish automatically. It's not really bad game design if you're just really dumb, man.

I mean, they could have had the dude closer to the point you're supposed to fish at instead of right next to one you're not. The way it's laid out isn't necessarily intuitive and seems a bit roundabout for no reason. It may not specifically be bad design, but it sure as hell isn't good design.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Inco posted:

I mean, they could have had the dude closer to the point you're supposed to fish at instead of right next to one you're not. The way it's laid out isn't necessarily intuitive and seems a bit roundabout for no reason. It may not specifically be bad design, but it sure as hell isn't good design.

They could also put every NPC next to every quest zone and reduce the world size to about one tenth of what it was so nothing was more than one step away from where you had to be at any given time. But they didn't. I'm sorry you didn't actually read what the NPC said, didn't check your map, and just started mashing buttons as soon as you were free to. But that's not the game's fault.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Nuebot posted:

They could also put every NPC next to every quest zone and reduce the world size to about one tenth of what it was so nothing was more than one step away from where you had to be at any given time. But they didn't. I'm sorry you didn't actually read what the NPC said, didn't check your map, and just started mashing buttons as soon as you were free to. But that's not the game's fault.

It's not an overarching or important quest, it's a tutorial. If you're going to ignore the obvious differences between a main quest and a tutorial quest, then you're being a fuckhead.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Inco posted:

It's not an overarching or important quest, it's a tutorial. If you're going to ignore the obvious differences between a main quest and a tutorial quest, then you're being a fuckhead.

It's part of the main quest. That's why there's a big red map marker telling you where to go. It's why you get the fish after failing three times, because the developers knew not everyone would want to fish or pick up the mechanic right away and they didn't want people to gently caress themselves out of progression. I guess they just didn't realize people would out right ignore everything the game told them and insist on doing things the wrong way.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's not great design to do a quest telling you to fish up a thing right next to a place to fish things that isn't the correct spot to fish things. It's not terrible (that'd be if there wasn't a clear indicator of where you're actually supposed to fish once the thought occurs to you to move), but it's something that probably should've been caught and fixed before release.

basically: you're not wrong if you disliked it and you're not wrong if you think it isn't a big deal, but you're probably wrong if you think it deserves all this arguing about it.

For content, Into the Breach is a really cool game from the makers of FTL that's basically a small-scale tactics game, with a 8x8 grid you're fighting on. Turns can get pretty complex to the point where people were posting screencaps of hard turns they encounted as little puzzle challenges (think mate in X in chess, or spot-the-lethal in ccgs). To facilitate that (and for general ease of use), they just added actual grid notation to the game board, which is brilliant and something I didn't expect to get patched in in any way.

Now, if only they added zachtronics-style gif exporting it'd be perfect.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

So I'm an idiot that can't follow a red X. The thing is, I'm not alone. I think enough people had problems with it that it should've been addressed.

None of that addresses the fact that the game and the manual also tell you how to fish wrong - following the fishing instructions as written would snap my line immediately, every time.

Anyhow, here's a little favorite thing about Nier: When I got it (and my PS3), I had been on an unemployment-enforced several year hiatus from new games, and then the intro movie dropped the F-bomb immediately. That was kind of a good introduction to changing standards.

Another little thing I like in games: Final Fantasy 10, I love it when you talk to the engineer on one of the ships you take in the early part of the game. She hums a horribly off-key version of the classic Chocobo theme.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Monster Hunter World had the fish guy tell me to catch him a certain fish but it wasn't at the spot he was currently fishing at/wasn't even on the same drat map. Do I get to Butch that it wasn't next door?

The game does lack a giant red x telling you exactly where to go but the situation was the same

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Len posted:

Monster Hunter World had the fish guy tell me to catch him a certain fish but it wasn't at the spot he was currently fishing at/wasn't even on the same drat map. Do I get to Butch that it wasn't next door?

The game does lack a giant red x telling you exactly where to go but the situation was the same

They really should have caught that error and fixed it right away.

Anyway, Stellaris. There are these alien guys who are just like, a space colony of artists who do nothing but ask you for money. You get the purple resource from them, which is nice because my society sucks at making that and I have a ton of space money. But I love how all these guys do is send me space emails about how all their artists are so poor and uninspired lately - could I just send them a couple thousand space bucks and help them out? I wish I could convince them to assimilate into my society.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Inco posted:

lol, just admit you made a minor mistake, idiot.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
All the people complaining that that Nier fishquest was bad design and should have been caught and fixed before release do not understand the mindset of the guy behind the game and series. It was 100% intentional to gently caress with you

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
:yokotaro:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I love how really good some of the spells felt in Nier.
Having the game slow down as you load up more and more dark lances over the course of the game feels really good progression wise.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I don't know how many times I've heard someone defending Nier by saying it was bad, unfun, or confusing on purpose.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Calaveron posted:

All the people complaining that that Nier fishquest was bad design and should have been caught and fixed before release do not understand the mindset of the guy behind the game and series. It was 100% intentional to gently caress with you

Wait, so am I an idiot because I can't follow a quest marker or am I an idiot because I didn't anticipate :yokotaro:? I'm confused.

And nobody has really said anything about the instructions for the mechanics of actually fishing being incorrect. Was that :yokotaro: too?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Quite possibly, yes. He’s quite the rascal.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yolo Taro hates completionists like Gamers hate themselves.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
At this point I'm fairly confident the nier fishing thing is nobody's favorite little thing so can we please move on

I love easter eggs in games, and there's a fairly well known one in GTA Vice City that's an actual easter egg:

The really cute thing, though, is there's a lesser known PSP/PS2 game in the series called Vice City Stories, which is set before the main game. If you go to the same location in that game, you find that the easter egg is still under construction.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

flatluigi posted:

At this point I'm fairly confident the nier fishing thing is nobody's favorite little thing so can we please move on

I love easter eggs in games, and there's a fairly well known one in GTA Vice City that's an actual easter egg:

The really cute thing, though, is there's a lesser known PSP/PS2 game in the series called Vice City Stories, which is set before the main game. If you go to the same location in that game, you find that the easter egg is still under construction.

I played a lot of Vice City Stories in the old days if only for just driving around and exploring the city. I love how many weird vehicles there were on the psp. And there was like 3 different airplanes! And 3 bicycles too. And an indestructible bus. Fun stuff. Oh and it was one of the few psp games that had a mod community which just made the game 10 times better (driving on walls, no clipping, playing on other people's obstacle courses).

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I really like the Krypt in Mortal Kombat XL.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Nude posted:

I played a lot of Vice City Stories in the old days if only for just driving around and exploring the city. I love how many weird vehicles there were on the psp. And there was like 3 different airplanes! And 3 bicycles too. And an indestructible bus. Fun stuff. Oh and it was one of the few psp games that had a mod community which just made the game 10 times better (driving on walls, no clipping, playing on other people's obstacle courses).

I always enjoyed how Liberty City Stories has motorcycles despite taking place 3 years before GTA3 (which didnt yet have them) so the manual had a newspaper article talking about an impending motorcycle ban in the city expected to pass.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nude posted:

The best part of GTA3 was spawning the Rhino, turning the flight cheat on, and reversing the cannon to fire behind you as you accelerated into the sky on recoil :black101:.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

flatluigi posted:

SHHH! Your scaring away the fish! <:mad:>

Also I'm kind of in the boat that a lot of Nier quests are set up in a way that other JRPGS do it (having to farm rare drops or fetch quests to increase time and "difficulty") but I guess because its in Nier it must be that old Yoko Taro at it again.
The only real quest that is a huge joke on the player is the one where you chase that runaway son and get no reward whatsoever. Every other quest rewards you pretty well with either a decent amount of money or a weapon. And some sad story.

And Life in the Sands. Which I feel is less like a "I hate you" and more like "Players are going to super be into farming".

Though if Yoko ever made a statement about hating players I'd love to hear because that sounds amazing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Agents are GO! posted:

Wait, so am I an idiot because I can't follow a quest marker or am I an idiot because I didn't anticipate :yokotaro:? I'm confused.

And nobody has really said anything about the instructions for the mechanics of actually fishing being incorrect. Was that :yokotaro: too?

Yeah.
The game then chastises you for wasting time on nothing quests while you should be out saving the world.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Leavemywife posted:

I really like the Krypt in Mortal Kombat XL.

Other than the odd jumpscare, I hate it.

Give me all the costumes and fatalities to start with. It's a fighting game; it's best played while drinking with friends. Endlessly grinding for coins to be able to see content you already paid for is lovely.
I ended up buying the thing to unlock all the krypt items for £1 when it was on sale. So I guess I'm part of the problem (though I bought the game for £15).

This is also why Rock Band was so much better than Guitar Hero: Everything unlocked from the start, so you don't have to play crap songs that you hate in order to get to the stuff you actually want to play.

On the other hand, I did really like the open-world nonsense story in MK:Deception.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I like how they bothered to make the Krypt a game in X/XL, with items to find to solve puzzles to unlock new areas instead of just being a “pick something and pay koins” thing like 9’s was.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The spider cave made my eyes roll so far they popped directly out of my head and bounced under a nearby table but other than that it is a cool idea.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The best part of GTA3 was spawning the Rhino, turning the flight cheat on, and reversing the cannon to fire behind you as you accelerated into the sky on recoil :black101:.

I remember the Freelance Astronauts...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Krypt definitely kept me playing longer than I would have otherwise, I loved all the stupid little unlockables and jumpscare demons. Getting a cool costume or brutality for a character usually made me want to play them for a bit even if I wasn't familiar with their playstyles. Mortal Kombat X was an odd duck where I liked everything around the periphery of the game more than the actual combat loop itself. All the towers and gimmick modes kept things interesting, especially since I got into it late and got owned any time I tried to play it competitively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Quote-Unquote posted:

This is also why Rock Band was so much better than Guitar Hero: Everything unlocked from the start, so you don't have to play crap songs that you hate in order to get to the stuff you actually want to play.

Rock Band actually had a "party mode" switch that made everything available (and turned off progression earnings and trophies).