Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bombadilillo posted:

That is Gloomhaven :colbert:

Gloomhaven isn't really beer and pretzels the way most people seem to use the term which is more laid back and casual, it's a tactical puzzle game that really asks you to be on point because it's tuned to a fairly fine challenging edge. Like it's not brutally difficult, but if you aren't bringing your A game you may wind up having to redo the missions several times over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Kai Tave posted:

Gloomhaven isn't really beer and pretzels the way most people seem to use the term which is more laid back and casual, it's a tactical puzzle game that really asks you to be on point because it's tuned to a fairly fine challenging edge. Like it's not brutally difficult, but if you aren't bringing your A game you may wind up having to redo the missions several times over.

Maybe I'm eating too many pretzels and drinking too many beer.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah i's not a good game. Just...play gloomhaven? More seriously someone needs to do a beer and pretzel dungeon crawler that isn't bad. I think Imp rear end is the best effort?

Yeah, I got Gloomhaven and I really mean to play it someday, honest, but I kind of wish I'd started off with a little bit lighter game I'd have an easier time convincing my normie friends to play with me, and I'm hoping FFG or someone makes a new one soon that doesn't have to jury rig in co-op rules after the fact. I'd even be tempted to get the insanely expensive Batman game if it was actually co-op.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sinteres posted:

Yeah, I got Gloomhaven and I really mean to play it someday, honest, but I kind of wish I'd started off with a little bit lighter game I'd have an easier time convincing my normie friends to play with me, and I'm hoping FFG or someone makes a new one soon that doesn't have to jury rig in co-op rules after the fact. I'd even be tempted to get the insanely expensive Batman game if it was actually co-op.

One Deck Dungeons is sort of a diet Gloomhaven. Might be worth checking it out.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
One Deck Dungeon is really good and really chill but I feel like it doesn't really match what comes to mind if someone said "diet gloomhaven"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maybe I’m on a stricter diet than you are. :colbert:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I've almost made back my Gloomhaven investment from the beers left behind by my group after we play.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm looking for something that's halfway between a diet Gloomhaven and a beer and pretzels The Campaign for North Africa, with a dash of a thinking man's Cards Against Humanity

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Guy Goodbody posted:

a thinking man's Cards Against Humanity

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Gloomhaven on easy is pretty chill.

(We lost our first game on hard last night and decided to speedrun repeat it on easy since all the bits were out already - 2.5hrs on hard, 30 minutes on easy... )

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If people are intimidated by Gloomhaven just have everything set up before they get there and hide the box. The game itself really isn't that rules-intensive and I think it's mega easy to grok aside from the monster movement stuff, but even then only one person really needs to have that down.

Note that hiding the box might require you to rent a storage trailer.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I have a setup session and city/road cards store time, maybe levelups. We pick a new level and set it up. Everything takes 30-45 minutes depending on the amount of buying.

Then we walk away. Then we come back and do the level.

Note: requires you to be a nerd who built his own gametable. Or have a dedicated space to leave it.

NmareBfly posted:

If people are intimidated by Gloomhaven just have everything set up before they get there and hide the box. The game itself really isn't that rules-intensive and I think it's mega easy to grok aside from the monster movement stuff, but even then only one person really needs to have that down.

Note that hiding the box might require you to rent a storage trailer.

A friend bought Gloomhaven because I won't shut up about it. Taught him and a 10 year old the game from building characters to beating the first level in 3 hours.

My 7 year old plays but she's a savant. 10 year old "normal" kid groked it fine though.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm not familiar with Zombicide, is it good? I like the Space Marines on the box

So here's the thing: Zombicide, the original game (I can't speak for Black Plague because a) I don't need any more Zombicide and b) I already have plenty of fantasy coops, whereas a modern apocalyptic coop remains fairly unusual) is...fine? It's got a couple of clever ideas, like the noise mechanic and the way your highest level party member determines the degree of zombie opposition you're facing so it's not actually safe (at least in theory, never seen the math for sure) to let one dude do what the poster downthread complained about and kill everything by himself. It basically delivers what I came for, and I've enjoyed the times I played it. But it's never become a regular feature at my table.

It's also kind of a storage nightmare without an insert, it's very simple and the level of variety on offer, even with expansions, isn't amazingly high, and most importantly, it's just far too expensive for what it is. At MSRP, a complete set of Zombicide, just the big boxes without any of the Kickstarter extras or guest artist minis or whatever, and not counting spinoffs like Black Plague? Is freaking $400. For a fairly light zombie murder game with like four basic enemy types and a few variants each, and survivors who have slightly different level up tracks. And you can definitely spend a bunch more on it if you care to for those extras. (Although at least in the original game's Kickstarters, you got all the gameplay relevant extras as free bonuses.) Granted, that's MSRP. I'm sure you can find it cheaper. But I'd say it's maybe a $100 game, at that point? Not a $200 game (and that's 50% off), definitely not $400.

Maybe this new one will be better value for money as a game, rather than a box of minis, but I can't say as I'd hold my breath about it.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

malkav11 posted:

Maybe this new one will be better value for money as a game, rather than a box of minis, but I can't say as I'd hold my breath about it.

Black Plague was much better than normal zombicide, and I guess they are going to carry that forward to Space Zombies.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Erika Chappell has just launched the Kickstarter for Flying Circus, an industrial-fantasy PbtA game of dogfighting dragons in biplanes in the air, and living large and making terrible decisions on the ground.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business
I promise it's good! If you liked Patrol, as seen in Fatal and Friends, imagine that same neurotic attention to every aspect of a thing but about terrible airplanes instead of terrible guerrilla wars.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm not familiar with Zombicide, is it good? I like the Space Marines on the box

I was a sceptic, but got given a copy and quite enjoyed it. Random thoughts:

* Like any coop, it lives and dies by the group (and presence of alpha player)
* Too many players tends to suck the life out of the game
* The rules are deliberately simple and streamlined, which annoys some people
* Some scenarios seemed to easy? I remember acquiring a car and driving up and down the streets, mowing down hundreds of zombies with ease
* You sure don't have to buy all the expansions
* I'd describe it as light but challenging

Can't speak for Black Plague, haven't played it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

potatocubed posted:

Erika Chappell has just launched the Kickstarter for Flying Circus,

IT'S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJpJbL6Pzjo

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

I don't even have to watch the video and now I've got that theme song stuck in my head.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

potatocubed posted:

Erika Chappell has just launched the Kickstarter for Flying Circus, an industrial-fantasy PbtA game of dogfighting dragons in biplanes in the air, and living large and making terrible decisions on the ground.

I like the concept, but I'm curious as to why they went with d10 for move resolution. It's not a dealbreaker though.

I was going to raise an eyebrow at 300 pages, but just looked at Monster of the Week and Fellowship, and they weigh in around the same. Guess PDF skews my perceptions.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

inklesspen posted:

He's also banned from rpgnet, as is any discussion of him.

The bolded part is incorrect.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Bieeanshee posted:

I like the concept, but I'm curious as to why they went with d10 for move resolution. It's not a dealbreaker though.

I was going to raise an eyebrow at 300 pages, but just looked at Monster of the Week and Fellowship, and they weigh in around the same. Guess PDF skews my perceptions.

It's also a 6"x9" print which is typical of PbtA games, rather than the coffee table format of D&Dd / FFG etc. That would add page count too I suspect.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

FirstAidKite posted:

Looks like Polyhero put up their poll for what dice set they should do next along with some concept images of the dice they might make.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/polyherodice/polyhero-dice-rogue-set/posts/2125380

Hopefully Bard will win. I wanna see dumb musical instrument dice :D

I guarantee that my friend who works as an ER doc in Lake Geneva will have to remove these from someone's rear end.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

It's also a 6"x9" print which is typical of PbtA games, rather than the coffee table format of D&Dd / FFG etc. That would add page count too I suspect.

Can confirm, 300 pages at 6" x 9" is roughly equivalent to 200 pages at 8.5" x 11".

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The things I learn when I keep my knee from jerking! :)

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

potatocubed posted:

Aaand now it's funded! 'Grats Sketch!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LuiCypher posted:

I guarantee that my friend who works as an ER doc in Lake Geneva will have to remove these from someone's rear end.

I asked you as a confidant to tell her I was on my way

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

LuiCypher posted:

Let me know what they rolled

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Let me know what they rolled

"lovely"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah i's not a good game. Just...play gloomhaven? More seriously someone needs to do a beer and pretzel dungeon crawler that isn't bad. I think Imp rear end is the best effort?

Imp rear end is good, but it's future isn't. The last actual release for both it and Runewars was November and they haven't announced anything new for either of them. It seems up in the air if they just paused both to focus capitol on their Star Wars skirmish game or letting it replace them entirely.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

LordAba posted:

Black Plague was much better than normal zombicide, and I guess they are going to carry that forward to Space Zombies.

Could you elaborate on why you think that? I didn't see anything tremendously gamechanging in the Black Plague pitch when that was happening, but I've never actually played it.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Imp rear end is good, but it's future isn't. The last actual release for both it and Runewars was November and they haven't announced anything new for either of them. It seems up in the air if they just paused both to focus capitol on their Star Wars skirmish game or letting it replace them entirely.

Yah it's a struggle, gloomhaven is a bit clunky in places but it's so much better than everything else.

I'm looking forward to the iteration that will happen on Gloomhaven.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Has anyone linked to Spell yet? It looks super-neat, but is well outside my price range at the moment. It's in its last 40-odd hours, so jump on it now if you're interested.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

open_sketchbook posted:

I promise it's good! If you liked Patrol, as seen in Fatal and Friends, imagine that same neurotic attention to every aspect of a thing but about terrible airplanes instead of terrible guerrilla wars.

is the Wingman tier enough to get PDF copies of the stretch goals?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Backed Flying Circus. It looks fun, and the fact that I have fond childhood memories of visiting Ottawa had nothing to do with it. Really, just a pleasant coincidence.

I really appreciate the existence of the hardship pledge tier. I didn't use it, but having spent a demoralizing amount of time on welfare... I think it's a lovely gesture.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bieeanshee posted:

Backed Flying Circus. It looks fun, and the fact that I have fond childhood memories of visiting Ottawa had nothing to do with it. Really, just a pleasant coincidence.

I really appreciate the existence of the hardship pledge tier. I didn't use it, but having spent a demoralizing amount of time on welfare... I think it's a lovely gesture.

I can’t find Flying Circus on Kickstarter or IG. Do you have a link? I grew up in Ottawa, so I’m curious!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Near the top of this very page:

potatocubed posted:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Looks like Polyhero put up their poll for what dice set they should do next along with some concept images of the dice they might make.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/polyherodice/polyhero-dice-rogue-set/posts/2125380

Hopefully Bard will win. I wanna see dumb musical instrument dice :D

Cleric ended up winning the poll :( Oh well. I'm sure they'll look fine but I was really hoping to see some silly Bard stuff.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business

Bieeanshee posted:

The reason I went for d10s is because... well, okay.

I'm using Powered by the Apocalypse because I saw a chance to use the move structure to do air combat, but it's pretty structurally and philosophically different from most PbtAs. I'd say the closest relative is actually probably Apocalypse World 2nd Ed, in that there are a more specific moves to add detailed resolution where it matters (like the vehicle and battle moves), but there's also this whole additional structure of the aircraft and how it works and handles, using sort of "mini-moves" to sum that stuff up, as well as a fairly detailed economic aspect a la Red Markets.

This isn't really a PbtA in the sense of the common "there are 6 moves, four stats, and one resource used in a unique way, roll 2d6" that is largely in vogue (a structure I don't dislike at all, though; that's pretty much what my game Blackout is.) Rather, this is a case of me seeing how the structure of Moves and The Conversation would work very well for a specific thing (air combat), but always doing what made sense for what I wanted over following the "rules" of PbtA.

It's the soul of PbtA which butchered an old-school crunchy game and is now puppeting around it's corpse. I'd say it is fairly close to Patrol in that it's got a mechanical density and concrete resolution of events but still fundamentally believes in a lot of storygame principles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That makes perfect sense, thank you for the explanation! For some reason it didn't register that you'd made Patrol, but looking back on the F&F of it, I'm really enthused about Flying Circus now.

I think I just get dumb about dice sometimes. :(