Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well that's good to know. so theoretically if i stick to one character until i see a power level 300 item, then i will always be guaranteed a maximum power item (-10) for the difficulty i'm on, regardless of who i play after?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Internet Explorer posted:

I really hope there's a mod or something that shows where all of the books are. I really have no desire to memorize all of the locations and I am perfectly happy with skipping any they involve jumping puzzles.
Yeah, I really hate stopping for 5 minutes in the middle of a map while everyone flails around trying to make a dumb jump. I'd personally rather just keep moving. It's a bad mechanic that's completely out of place.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

How-To guide on Empire in Flames Grimoire 2:

-Run further off the crate than you think you need when jumping to the lamp post, then hit crouch just before hitting the lamp post. This is actually the hardest jump in the series.

-Jump to the first brick, again crouching to make sure you fit in there. Attempt to stand, if you can't stand then crouch-walk a bit further out and attempt to stand. Don't walk without holding crouch or you'll be thrown off the brick. Once you find releasing crouch stands you up, you're ready for the second jump.

-Do the same as the above for the second brick. Make sure you can let go of crouch and stand up, don't move while not crouching otherwise.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

well that's good to know. so theoretically if i stick to one character until i see a power level 300 item, then i will always be guaranteed a maximum power item (-10) for the difficulty i'm on, regardless of who i play after?

Correct, but just for the slots you've seen at 300. I haven't really had a slot lag significantly so it shouldn't really be that much of an issue.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I wonder if the daggers actually do damage over time like they say. Regardless, the dual daggers are as fun to use as ever.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Night10194 posted:

I wonder if the daggers actually do damage over time like they say. Regardless, the dual daggers are as fun to use as ever.

It does, there's some kind of bleeding damage mechanic. I have seen enemies drop dead for no reason many times using the Shade throughout all Betas.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Icing on top of the dagger cake.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So as Fire Grandma in the Pyromancer joboine I want to stack Crit Power more then Crit Chance correct because of the passive? Or do I want to stack both in equal amounts to get like for sure crits all the time? The Crit chance I get from the passive applied for both range and melee as well?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

considering that regardless of their power critical hits have no falloff and pierce armor, it seems like more marginally weaker crits would be better than one really big crit less often, but i am not a mathomalologist

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Internet Explorer posted:

I really hope there's a mod or something that shows where all of the books are. I really have no desire to memorize all of the locations and I am perfectly happy with skipping any they involve jumping puzzles.

Oh for fucks sake they still have that lovely book system? That might just this a hard pass for me unless everything else is a drastic improvement over the original.(specifically end of match rewards actually being something I can use for my current class MOST of the time and if stats and item modifiers are cooler)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Deakul posted:

Oh for fucks sake they still have that lovely book system? That might just this a hard pass for me unless everything else is a drastic improvement over the original.(specifically end of match rewards actually being something I can use for my current class MOST of the time and if stats and item modifiers are cooler)

the end of the match awards are put in a loot box that gives you 3 items (instead of one), specifically for the character you open it with. i don't know if that makes the deal sweeter or more sour for you

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Deakul posted:

Lol everybody loved the book system of course it's back. Anyway, end of match rewards are now a crate that give you rewards tailored to whatever character you've selected when you open it, so no more double daggers you will never use.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

You will always get items your class can use, stats are not terribly changed (+X% vs enemy types, etc) and the item mods I'm not sure about.

For what it's worth, you've seen me talk about video games a lot, and I'll say that I had absolutely zero use for VT1, to the point of never buying it after playing several of the weekends and the initial beta. I've already sunk 35 hours into 2 and anticipate a fair deal more.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

the end of the match awards are put in a loot box that gives you 3 items (instead of one), specifically for the character you open it with. i don't know if that makes the deal sweeter or more sour for you

although you can still get a lootbox of like 3 trinkets so there's that

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Vermintide 2 is a big improvement, although I only played the first a little. There seems to be some complaints at the high end over hero power and how all that makes things less predictable, but from my point of view it is a massive improvement.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i also should mention that when i first saw that they had changed to a lootbox-esque system i was super nervous that they were planning to pull a microtransactions bullshit operation and luckily that doesn't seem to have been the case

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cowcaster posted:

although you can still get a lootbox of like 3 trinkets so there's that

My last six boxes.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

ZearothK posted:

My last six boxes.

This has become a pretty obvious pattern since they removed weapon and jewelry parts from boxes.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Fair points all, I dug VM1 for the most part even if I pretty much stopped playing after going through each map a couple of times... the rat murder was enough to get me to hop on for a few minutes and just kill until I was satisfied afterwards.

Sounds like VM2 is more of an actual game with built in longevity now.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 8, 2018

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Mordja posted:

Lol everybody loved the book system of course it's back. Anyway, end of match rewards are now a crate that give you rewards tailored to whatever character you've selected when you open it, so no more double daggers you will never use.

I wouldn’t mind the system if the books were out in the open, defended by some though guy. Hiding stuff is dumb in the youtube era and platforming is a bad idea.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

i also should mention that when i first saw that they had changed to a lootbox-esque system i was super nervous that they were planning to pull a microtransactions bullshit operation and luckily that doesn't seem to have been the case

This was a big worry to me too since the opening of them is right out of Battlefront II or Overwatch where the box wiggles then explodes into medallions you turn over to see what you got

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This was a big worry to me too since the opening of them is right out of Battlefront II or Overwatch where the box wiggles then explodes into medallions you turn over to see what you got

that's pretty standard lootbox protocol these days it's been around since like mass effect 3 (probably earlier)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Fatshark's already come out and said that there will be no purchasing of loot.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Fat Samurai posted:

I wouldn’t mind the system if the books were out in the open, defended by some though guy. Hiding stuff is dumb in the youtube era and platforming is a bad idea.

The entire map is defended by thousands of rats how many more do you want?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hiding secrets and stuff in maps is cool and good. the empire in flames jumping puzzle is bad.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Cowcaster posted:

hiding secrets and stuff in maps is cool and good. the empire in flames jumping puzzle is bad.

yeah, the game isn't precise enough to allow for pinpoint platforming, and especially isn't something where i want people loving around for 5 minutes in one spot trying to get some minor bullshit

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Cowcaster posted:

Honestly I can currently do this puzzle more consistently than I could do that one Horn of Magnus jump to/from the light. It wouldn't be so bad if they made the bricks a bit longer and pulled the light a bit closer to the crate

they'll never do either of those things and they should just move that stupid book

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

The Gate posted:

The entire map is defended by thousands of rats how many more do you want?

Three rats standing on each other’s shoulder and wearing chaos warrior armor.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What kind of groups are you guys running with? I don't think I've ever had to wait for more than a minute at that puzzle, since there seems to always be at least one person that's competent enough that they can do it on their first or second try.
I can agree it's not the best jumping puzzle in the game, though.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Atoramos posted:

Honestly I can currently do this puzzle more consistently than I could do that one Horn of Magnus jump to/from the light. It wouldn't be so bad if they made the bricks a bit longer and pulled the light a bit closer to the crate

they'll never do either of those things and they should just move that stupid book

there isn't a horn of magnus book that requires any jumping puzzles that i can remember. are you talking about the second grimoire? you can just jump next to it and grab it through the ledge.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That big jump you have to do in the forest to get the first tome is the worst of the bunch. It's a trash jump that needs to be adjusted. It's not a puzzle, it's hitting jump at the last possible pixel of the ledge after attempting it several times. Terrible.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Broken Cog posted:

Welp, that's not coming off for a while.

Dope trinket.

That release trailer is pretty great. Trying to hold off until the game is in full release.

Already have like 30 hours into the beta. Had just over 100 in V1. Can't wait to kill for ol' Kruber.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jimbot posted:

That big jump you have to do in the forest to get the first tome is the worst of the bunch. It's a trash jump that needs to be adjusted. It's not a puzzle, it's hitting jump at the last possible pixel of the ledge after attempting it several times. Terrible.

Yep, that one is awful. Fortunately you can just grab the tome through the ceiling below instead.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

I also like the risk/reward aspect of the Grims; I think they're better realized than the Tomes. Tomes really do nothing to impede you: they're just something to pick up on the way if you know where they are, maybe taking some health damage if you mess up a jump or something. If they went into the bomb slot instead then they'd at least represent something that takes away some of your resources as you head into a major fight. One of the neat things about grims is that once you pick them up, you're locked into not using a potion and you lose health. Tomes really cost you nothing because you can just drop them and use the healing items whenever you come across them instead of carrying them. It might hurt a tiny bit, but not a lot.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So that release trailer is just still images to make everything look like warhammer models right?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

So that release trailer is just still images to make everything look like warhammer models right?

I don't know that that's what they were going for at all. It looks cool either way, and that many units would probably nuke the engine if it was running naturally.

The most interesting thing about the trailer is that they show off some locales that promise that the missions we've been playing are the relatively tame ones, by Warhammer standards.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

I also like the risk/reward aspect of the Grims; I think they're better realized than the Tomes. Tomes really do nothing to impede you: they're just something to pick up on the way if you know where they are, maybe taking some health damage if you mess up a jump or something. If they went into the bomb slot instead then they'd at least represent something that takes away some of your resources as you head into a major fight. One of the neat things about grims is that once you pick them up, you're locked into not using a potion and you lose health. Tomes really cost you nothing because you can just drop them and use the healing items whenever you come across them instead of carrying them. It might hurt a tiny bit, but not a lot.

Going for Tomes the risk is slowing you down a little and the more time you’re on a map the more health you’re likely to lose. It’s a very light risk that is easily mitigated by a little skill and it’s something even new players can handle. Grims are the hard wall risk where you need skill (and trinkets to make their impact slightly less intense) or you will lose because of them. It’s just two levels of risk, one aimed at all players and one aimed at the upper end of players

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Orv posted:

I don't know that that's what they were going for at all. It looks cool either way, and that many units would probably nuke the engine if it was running naturally.

The most interesting thing about the trailer is that they show off some locales that promise that the missions we've been playing are the relatively tame ones, by Warhammer standards.

Yeah, I was kind of waiting for an explosion of action to start somewhere along the lines. While the aesthetic they achieved is cool, ~5 minutes of no voice or action is kind of... anticlimactic.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So as Fire Grandma in the Pyromancer joboine I want to stack Crit Power more then Crit Chance correct because of the passive? Or do I want to stack both in equal amounts to get like for sure crits all the time? The Crit chance I get from the passive applied for both range and melee as well?

Sienna went from feeling like the worst ranged class to the best one once it hit 25 for the pyromancers full heat discharge on ult, you can craft or get lucky and find a orange bolt staff and reroll the trait until you get either "heatsink" or what I'm using "resourceful sharpshooter" that charges your ult by 1% for every crit, stack crit and spam your bolts into a horde or boss at head level your ult meter will usually beat out your heat meter and you can just keep up the firepower endlessly.

I did some champion runs and this is what the scoreboard at the end would look like, note the melee kills and headshots.

I fully expect the talent that removes all heat on ult use for pyromancer to be reduced to 50% heat or the like at some point, it steps on the toes of unchained a bit, although the other ranged classes can refill their ammo readily too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Tenzarin posted:

It's just a style of trailer. A few other games have used them that I've seen. Most notably Metro: Last Light (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2djDE_kwH3Q). Warframe has an older trailer somewhere as well.

• Locked thread