Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yeah he's a loving retard with takes like "Mass Effect 3 is poo poo, Andromeda is poo poo, and Destiny 2 is poo poo."

Just admit you're salty that you can't play the ultimate best game ever yet.

BIOWARE PRESENTS BUNGO: ANTHEM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I am legitimately facinated by how that game is going to turn out/be received.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I am legitimately facinated by how that game is going to turn out/be received.

I wanna see how bad the marketing the is going to be. Nothing like listening to pre-scripted and canned "banter" between people playing the demo to really hype up a game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Last year I hoped against hope that Andromeda would destroy the Mass Effect franchise. Having achieved what was once thought impossible, could we do it all again? Could Anthem be the game that finally, mercifully kills Bioware forever?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It will

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Last year I hoped against hope that Andromeda would destroy the Mass Effect franchise. Having achieved what was once thought impossible, could we do it all again? Could Anthem be the game that finally, mercifully kills Bioware forever?

Bioware starting dying once the EA stocks vested. MEA was the coup de grace

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Yeah, I have absolutely zero hope for Anthem. I guess it's possible the game might somehow find an audience, but I really doubt it because Anthem just doesn't seem like the kind of thing anyone wants at this point.

Sure, Andromeda was basically what came back after EA buried Mass Effect in the pet cemetery in the woods behind their offices, but at least there were still a lot of people out there who wanted to play Mass Effect so there was an audience there. I can't see Anthem getting much attention at all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doc Morbid posted:

Yeah, I have absolutely zero hope for Anthem. I guess it's possible the game might somehow find an audience, but I really doubt it because Anthem just doesn't seem like the kind of thing anyone wants at this point.

Sure, Andromeda was basically what came back after EA buried Mass Effect in the pet cemetery in the woods behind their offices, but at least there were still a lot of people out there who wanted to play Mass Effect so there was an audience there. I can't see Anthem getting much attention at all.

Here's the thing with a game like Anthem; It doesn't just have to be good, it has to be good enough to draw a stable population of players away from other long-term "service" games (PUBG, Destiny 2, Battlefield, etc). That is the hurdle it needs to pass, and it is almost certainly not going to.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

its gonna crash and burn so hard

I cant wait!

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I just want Dragon Age 4 to come out and be good

Failing that I just wanna see the lore details about what the hell is actually going on!!!!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BexGu posted:

I wanna see how bad the marketing the is going to be. Nothing like listening to pre-scripted and canned "banter" between people playing the demo to really hype up a game.

Said it before, and I'll probably say it again, but the first The Division trailer that lead to this trend was a real cut above most of the imitators. Felt like what players want online play to be. Friendly, professional, and everyone shuts up when they got nothing to say.

Followups don't nail that feel, and they suffer for it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Said it before, and I'll probably say it again, but the first The Division trailer that lead to this trend was a real cut above most of the imitators. Felt like what players want online play to be. Friendly, professional, and everyone shuts up when they got nothing to say.

Yeah they should make them have more realistic toxicity

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah they should make them have more realistic toxicity

I'd quite enjoy

"OMG WAY TO MISS THE SHOT

NOOBS ARE SUCH CANCER

UNINSTALL FAGLORD"

being yelled out a loud speaker at E3

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
*division 2 trailer plays* "lol u human being using shock nades 1v1 me 4 real bitch"

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

chiasaur11 posted:

Listen I can't enjoy the full online experience until I hear a child crying in the background, loud chewing over the mic, bong rips and getting called a fag in various different ways.

Its all about the authentic experience, you know?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

*division 2 trailer plays* "lol u human being using shock nades 1v1 me 4 real bitch"

That just got announced today and I have no doubt that when it comes out it’ll kill Anthem dead.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That just got announced today and I have no doubt that when it comes out it’ll kill Anthem dead.

That would require Anthem to have a period when it qualifies as alive.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

chiasaur11 posted:

That would require Anthem to have a period when it qualifies as alive.

Destiny 2 has a period because i maybe play it once a month and I'm super cranky during that time

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Happy International Woman's Day, tip your waitresses

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Is there anything about Anthem (that we know so far) that makes it different/better then say Destiny 2 or the future Division 2? Cause it sure as hell looks like Destiny 2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

They had that 10-minute curated gameplay slice nine months ago and have shown nothing of it since. Maybe it's on the same path of graphical downgrading as Andromeda.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BexGu posted:

Is there anything about Anthem (that we know so far) that makes it different/better then say Destiny 2 or the future Division 2? Cause it sure as hell looks like Destiny 2.

It's Bioware, so "We have people you can date, and gay people!" will probably be a selling point.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
the character's in game voice was the same person "playing the game" with the other person

anthem is a fake game

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

BexGu posted:

Wingsuit, babyy!
opening cutscene only, wingsuit subject to change, purchase necessary

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Cythereal posted:

It's Bioware, so "We have people you can date, and gay people!" will probably be a selling point.

But this time the people you can date are other players!!!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

the character's in game voice was the same person "playing the game" with the other person

anthem is a fake game

I remember seeing that video and noticing the smooth even camera movement during the "gameplay" and being immediately put off by it even more than by the dumb scripted "player interactions". It might have been in engine, but every inch of that was pre-rendeered, no one was behind the wheel playing. Anthem will come out (DA4 will not) and it will crash and burn; clumsily aping but failing to even match, let alone surpass, any of the games it wants to draw a playerbase from. And that will be the end of Bioware.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Goddess willing.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
It would be v. cool if BioWare/EA saw that there is a significant audience of people who just want big ol' RPGs where you can be a gay elf/spaceman and are perfectly willing to pay actual money for expansions to said RPGs (p. much nobody complained about paying $20/$30 for Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine) and just doubled down on that because that audience space is not ridiculously crowded in the way the loot shooter genre is

but they didn't, and now we can play Anthem: Destiny Titanfall

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

chiasaur11 posted:

When a game is showing less off than Fallout 4's launch trailer, that's a bad sign.

I was almost impressed with how boring the companions looked in the previews. A series known for its squadmates, and they couldn't come up with a single interesting hook. I mean, Drack's gimmick was "Old", which Wrex did back in ME1 along with half a dozen other things.

drack is composite krogan. he is old and grizzled like wrex but he is happy for the most part like grunt. he and vetra were the only characters i liked.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I just want Dragon Age 4 to come out and be good

Failing that I just wanna see the lore details about what the hell is actually going on!!!!

id like them to go full action RPG but thats just me and same.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

drack is composite krogan. he is old and grizzled like wrex but he is happy for the most part like grunt. he and vetra were the only characters i liked.

Drack also has a very different niche in the party dynamics. He's the team dad and relentlessly works to cheer everyone up. He's also the Tempest's cook.

The Tempest, I think, is the thing I'll miss the most about MEA. I like the cantilever visual design, and I think it has the best internal layout of any Bioware hub zone to date.

As for the direction Bioware should go in, I'd prefer going back to outright turn based RPG/strategy rather than action game, but as long as there's a good story and characters attached I'll keep an eye out.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Dapper_Swindler posted:

id like them to go full action RPG but thats just me and same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzkCmidjeHc

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
You can't gently caress drack 0/10

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

exquisite tea posted:

we can do it, together

i believe in the power of the gaming food megathread posting pals

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The tempest was fine, but what I really didn't like about it compared to the normandy was that only like 8 people lived in it. The normandy felt like a living ship, because in addition to your companions, there were nameless redshirts who would beep boop on consoles, or eat in the mess, or walk around and salute you when you walked past.

It was a nice aesthetic touch, compared to the tempest which is just a giant room for people to hang out in so you could talk to them 3 times and then gently caress them

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Ainsley McTree posted:

It was a nice aesthetic touch, compared to the tempest which is just a giant room for people to hang out in so you could talk to them 3 times and then gently caress them

This accurately describes both Thedas and Mass Effect's Milky Way imo

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ainsley McTree posted:

The tempest was fine, but what I really didn't like about it compared to the normandy was that only like 8 people lived in it. The normandy felt like a living ship, because in addition to your companions, there were nameless redshirts who would beep boop on consoles, or eat in the mess, or walk around and salute you when you walked past.

I dunno, I preferred that the Tempest felt like an actual home for people rather than a warship.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cythereal posted:

I dunno, I preferred that the Tempest felt like an actual home for people rather than a warship.

It's still quite massive. It's no Ebon Hawk.

(Took me way too long to find my quarters.)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Moola posted:

I pride myself on being the dumbest person in every thread

i''ll fight you

civilian ships tend to be a lot roomier than warships tho

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 9, 2018

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just glad I don't have to go through a loving metal detector every time I enter it

It's my goddamn ship let me just go in and out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rinkles posted:

It's still quite massive. It's no Ebon Hawk.

(Took me way too long to find my quarters.)

Still better than either version of the Normandy, though.

I never cared for any iteration of that ship. Felt too big to be a cozy little home among the stars for the protagonists, too small to feel like I was leading and flying among a huge crew full of lives and stories I'll hardly ever see or intersect with.

The Tempest also had the crew-chat message board which had a lot of amusing bits of your crew interacting in their off hours.

Burkion posted:

I'm just glad I don't have to go through a loving metal detector every time I enter it

It's my goddamn ship let me just go in and out

It's a loading screen.