Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I can't parse my emotions on this nonsensical bathroom:

It is hearkening back to a simpler time when people didn't have bath tubs permanently installed, and instead would haul a metal wash tub in the house and fill it with water heated over the fire. And then one by one, everyone would take their bath in that same water.

We don't have family togetherness like that anymore, but these people do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
It sorta reminds me of how really old houses before indoor plumbing would have a pantry converted to a half bath right next to the kitchen, because we're only going to drop plumbing in one area here.
Except it's a living room converted to the second half of the half bath.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is that a loving manually operated fan hanging over the tub? For someone on the couch to operate?

Why is it haunted?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
bathing is a spectator sport

E: or maybe you lift the cushions to poo poo

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 1, 2018

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

The Bloop posted:

Is that a loving manually operated fan hanging over the tub? For someone on the couch to operate?

Why is it haunted?

I think (??) there's some kind of mechanism out of frame to the left, and the cylinder over the couch is just a counterweight (???)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I think that's a ceiling towel rack (lol) and the thing over the couch is an ugly reading light.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I can't parse my emotions on this nonsensical bathroom:

Is this a weird sex thing?

I'm assuming it's a weird sex thing.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

That's a pretty safe assumption, I think.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I think it'd be pretty cool to take a bath in front of a roaring fireplace but not, like, all the time. That's too special.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've got two prints (mostly white, plain frames) that I want to hang on a 10' wall - should I split it into thirds for the centre-lines of the pictures (i.e. left one's centre is 3'4" from the left corner, and the right equivalent) or make the distance between them larger so more like 2' + 6' + 2' ?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Southern Heel posted:

I've got two prints (mostly white, plain frames) that I want to hang on a 10' wall - should I split it into thirds for the centre-lines of the pictures (i.e. left one's centre is 3'4" from the left corner, and the right equivalent) or make the distance between them larger so more like 2' + 6' + 2' ?

If it’s just a wall for guidance I wouldn’t even sly spit them, I’d put them a bit closer together, maybe such that the distance between them is 0.5 units and the distance between them and the wall is 1.25 units. Something like that.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
It's been touched on a little before in the thread, but here's an interesting piece on how stuff like instagram is having a sort of gentrifying effect on interior decoration.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

there wolf posted:

It's been touched on a little before in the thread, but here's an interesting piece on how stuff like instagram is having a sort of gentrifying effect on interior decoration.

I noticed this when looking for ideas the other day. If you go on reddit, they are all incredibly samey.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
On a similar note, here's a piece from the McMansion Hell writer about how people are pressured into spending lots of time and money renovating their houses(and often losing historical charm in the process), when there's nothing actually wrong with their home. And a short companion post asking people to think about why they want something instead of just doing it because instagram and renovation shows say you should.

Obviously not every house update is evil, but she has a point that a lot of cultural(and advertising) pressure has gone into making homes a product you need to be constantly updating.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 8, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

As an engineer who deals with tech debt and refactors every day I truly wish I could've done a less severe makeover to my house, but you know when people say a place has "good bones"? Well that's not much use if the flesh is rotting and the cartilage has turned to powder.

Any charm this place might've had was lost when they cheaped out on an extension in the 60s.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Jaded Burnout posted:

As an engineer who deals with tech debt and refactors every day I truly wish I could've done a less severe makeover to my house, but you know when people say a place has "good bones"? Well that's not much use if the flesh is rotting and the cartilage has turned to powder.

Any charm this place might've had was lost when they cheaped out on an extension in the 60s.
Yeah, there's a good chunk of my home I want to renovate just so it can be better. The attic den, for example, is just sort of bland, since it's drywall painted white with a cheap white carpet. This is accentuated by the fact that the room is the whole length of the house -- while it's a center-hall Colonial, the stairs to the attic aren't above the main staircase, so instead of the typical "two bedrooms in the attic" layout you see around here, it's just one long room with a corner carved out for a closet and Murder Room #3. There are original quarter-circle windows on one end that they just covered up, so from the outside of the house you see the wall cavity. There are some exposed collar ties that I suppose were intended to give the impression of "exposed beams," but since they're, like, an inch thick they have no substance to them. I'd like to tear out the drywall and replace it with blueboard and veneer plaster (leaving the windows visible this time!), do a better job insulating the roof, box the collar ties to make them more beam-like, and fer chrissakes put the outlets in some more useful places. It might be nice to put a half-bath in the closet, too. Likewise, the finished basement is of "flipped house" build quality, and could use sprucing up.

The more original parts of the house, on the other hand, I'll subject to repairs but not to renovation-for-the-sake-of-renovation. The crookedness and such might drive me a little crazy at times, but I do love the older parts of this home.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Haifisch posted:

On a similar note, here's a piece from the McMansion Hell writer about how people are pressured into spending lots of time and money renovating their houses(and often losing historical charm in the process), when there's nothing actually wrong with their home. And a short companion post asking people to think about why they want something instead of just doing it because instagram and renovation shows say you should.

Obviously not every house update is evil, but she has a point that a lot of cultural(and advertising) pressure has gone into making homes a product you need to be constantly updating.

This is exactly why it drives me crazy when people come to this thread asking how they can future-proof their home decor. There's this HGTV idea that your house isn't really yours, it's a model home on display, and if you don't have the exact right countertops, your "investment" is doomed. You'd think after 2008 the idea of homes as being investments would have been dead in the ground but more than anything it seems to be picking up steam.

My husband and I bought a house last year and every "renovation" was just intended to make the house blandly marketable. EVERY wall was painted pale grey, every piece of trim was painted white. In a gorgeous old Craftsman, no less. Our renovations so far have been mainly functional (replacing terrible wire shelving units, updating insulation, that sort of thing) but soon we're going to start getting out paint swatches and this house is gonna get some color.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Agreed. I made a few small concessions to the next buyer e.g. putting a bath I won't use into the downstairs bathroom, but the whole thing is for ME, motherfuckers.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I think a lot of the time that people buy way more house than they need (and as a corollary more than they can reasonably afford) so there's suddenly a lot of pressure to make sure that they get the maximum value out of it. It's kinda like buying a really nice whiskey or wine or something and saying that you're going to save it for a special occasion, only you never drink it because no occasion ever feels "special" enough to justify the price that was spent so it just goes to waste.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Freaquency posted:

It's kinda like buying a really nice whiskey or wine or something and saying that you're going to save it for a special occasion, only you never drink it because no occasion ever feels "special" enough to justify the price that was spent so it just goes to waste.

Now I’m triggered

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Haifisch posted:

https://www.instagram.com/myimperfectstory/

This is the wife of a loose acquaintance of mine, and EVERYTHING about that house screams "this is what I've been told to like."

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

TheMadMilkman posted:

This is the wife of a loose acquaintance of mine, and EVERYTHING about that house screams "this is what I've been told to like."

I really like this house lol

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I really like this house lol

I really like parts of it too, particularly the tiles, but I have no love affair with shiplap.

But I've met the girl, and I can tell you that in 10 years she'll be gutting the place to put in whatever the current design trends are then.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I'm really into the tile choices.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

Well we now know what happens when a hotel and a restaurant gently caress.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Freaquency posted:

I think a lot of the time that people buy way more house than they need

I live in a 5 bed detached on my own and tbh I wish it were bigger. Not the house part, but the surroundings. More garden space, outbuildings, room to live not just room to eat and sleep.

But that's my own idiosyncrasy, I know not everyone is like that.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I could honestly live in a tiny house if my frame fit well in it and I could stand up straight in the kitchen/living space. So naturally I have a 3200 sq ft house.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Alternately, if you buy a place intending on staying in it, it doesn’t matter what your “renovations” do to the home price.

Too many people view their house as just a savings account you live in, and direct all their ideas to strictly what’s the most commercially viable option for some theoretical future sale.

Then again, I also think the whole starter home proliferation and chronic adversity to renting (“it’s just throwing away money!”) is equally absurd.

TheMadMilkman posted:

im the fake Tolix chairs

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 8, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah, there's so much false economy with renovations. There's a concept in construction that the cheapest option among options is usually the thing you already own.

Gonna spend $15k on a new custom kitchen! Increase my home value by $15k!
Well, in order to do so, I'm going to tear out $8k worth of perfectly good kitchen, so best case scenario, I've spent $15k to be up $7k.
Except the $15k of customization was worth that to me, but the next buyer probably has different tastes and might only have been willing to pay $10k for that exact reno. Also, it's 8 years later and the ultra trendy stuff I put in is no longer the hottest trend.
Now I've spent $15k to add $2k worth of value to the next buyer.
Plus, why do I care about the next buyer? Chances are I'm literally never going to meet them so who cares what they think?

The only good reason to spend money on redecorating/renovating your house is because that's the way you want the house you live in to look. If you need to justify it by "well, it will increase the value!" then maybe you shouldn't do it.

My mother in law is a serial remodeler, always tearing stuff out of her house, putting stuff back in, taking out the pool fence, buying a new one and putting it back in 3 years later, blah blah blah. She justifies it every time as "increasing the value of the house", but then literally 2 or 3 years later is tearing out those "value increasing" renovations to put something different in their place. In her house she just sold, the upstairs has 4 bedrooms and 2 full baths. She had this cherry-esque Pergo in the hallway and both of the baths (whyyyyy), gray slate tile in one of the bedrooms, a totally different grey and white tile in another bedroom, beige carpet in one bedroom, and YET ANOTHER different gray tile in another bedroom.
Since these were all done onesy-twosy over the years, there are 5 different floors in 6 rooms, including wood laminate in both bathrooms. :barf:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
My hypothetical ideal house is maybe 3 bedrooms, a wonderful kitchen(good counter layout, lots of storage space, no loving electric stoves/ovens, etc), zero lawn(or as close to zero as feasible), and the outside space filled with gardens instead. In the day in the far future when I'm actually ready to buy, I'll at least insist on minimal lawn since the rest of that is easier to work around.

Your house should be what you want to live in, that's the whole point of owning over renting.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Alternately, if you buy a place intending on staying in it, it doesn’t matter what your “renovations” do to the home price.

Too many people view their house as just a savings account you live in, and direct all their ideas to strictly what’s the most commercially viable option for some theoretical future sale.

Then again, I also think the whole starter home proliferation and chronic adversity to renting (“it’s just throwing away money!”) is equally absurd.
:same: on all three counts.

I think the house-as-savings-account is partially why we got houses that are way too much space for what the occupants could ever want or need - gotta keep 'upgrading' even if you don't actually have a use for more space. And gotta keep buying more stuff to fill your new empty rooms, and spend more time cleaning and maintaining everything, and spend more money heating/cooling everything. :retrogames:

Viewing renting as 'throwing away money' is just stupid, and leads people to buy houses they can't afford in locations they might not want to live in long-term. And it ignores that ownership also involves a lot of 'throwing away money' - property taxes, maintenance, closing costs, mortgage interest, etc. Sure, you're indirectly paying that stuff when you rent, but you're almost always paying it for a much smaller space than you'd ever own, which makes all the costs lower.

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, there's so much false economy with renovations. There's a concept in construction that the cheapest option among options is usually the thing you already own.

Gonna spend $15k on a new custom kitchen! Increase my home value by $15k!
Well, in order to do so, I'm going to tear out $8k worth of perfectly good kitchen, so best case scenario, I've spent $15k to be up $7k.
Except the $15k of customization was worth that to me, but the next buyer probably has different tastes and might only have been willing to pay $10k for that exact reno. Also, it's 8 years later and the ultra trendy stuff I put in is no longer the hottest trend.
Now I've spent $15k to add $2k worth of value to the next buyer.
Plus, why do I care about the next buyer? Chances are I'm literally never going to meet them so who cares what they think?

The only good reason to spend money on redecorating/renovating your house is because that's the way you want the house you live in to look. If you need to justify it by "well, it will increase the value!" then maybe you shouldn't do it.
IIRC, the only renovations that reliably turn a profit(or at least break even) are bathroom renovations and fixing stuff that's straight-up broken. Which makes constant renovating to increase/maintain value even more absurd.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

The problem is that everyone thinks they have good taste and it’s completely untrue. My parents are busy updating their 30 year old house to try to increase eventual sale value, but their taste isn’t great so it’s not really going to help. It’s really hard for most people to separate their personal preference from what has broad appeal. The neighborhood comps and what people would expect for your neighborhood has a lot to do with the value potential as well. Putting Carrera marble countertops in your trailer home probably isn’t a great idea.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TheMadMilkman posted:

omg, always with the words. wtf is EEEL supposed to mean, anyhow?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Bad Munki posted:

omg, always with the words. wtf is EEEL supposed to mean, anyhow?

Whatever room that's supposed to be, it's fugly. I generally like the floor tiles and the herringbone brick pattern on the floor in the foyer, but the rest of the house is just pretentiously trendy.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Whatever room that's supposed to be, it's fugly. I generally like the floor tiles and the herringbone brick pattern on the floor in the foyer, but the rest of the house is just pretentiously trendy.

I think it's supposed to be one of these, but as a built-in:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

vonnegutt posted:

This is exactly why it drives me crazy when people come to this thread asking how they can future-proof their home decor. There's this HGTV idea that your house isn't really yours, it's a model home on display, and if you don't have the exact right countertops, your "investment" is doomed. You'd think after 2008 the idea of homes as being investments would have been dead in the ground but more than anything it seems to be picking up steam.

My husband and I bought a house last year and every "renovation" was just intended to make the house blandly marketable. EVERY wall was painted pale grey, every piece of trim was painted white. In a gorgeous old Craftsman, no less. Our renovations so far have been mainly functional (replacing terrible wire shelving units, updating insulation, that sort of thing) but soon we're going to start getting out paint swatches and this house is gonna get some color.

Well it makes sense doesn't it for americans, you're so damned mobile, moving everywhere for jobs, you don't live long in a single place so it seems natural to me that you would not consider it "your home" and that you're thinking of the next move a few years away to some other place in the US and what price you can get for the house when selling it.

I kinda loathe this talk of mobile labour forces being spewed by local pundits and how it's supposed to be so good for the economy if we all just live on the beck and call of capital and never put down roots, well there's more to life than the economy. I got zero plans to move from this house or to sell it. Not saying that can't happen (though unlikely), but the plan is to live here until I die.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well it makes sense doesn't it for americans, you're so damned mobile, moving everywhere for jobs, you don't live long in a single place so it seems natural to me that you would not consider it "your home" and that you're thinking of the next move a few years away to some other place in the US and what price you can get for the house when selling it.

I kinda loathe this talk of mobile labour forces being spewed by local pundits and how it's supposed to be so good for the economy if we all just live on the beck and call of capital and never put down roots, well there's more to life than the economy. I got zero plans to move from this house or to sell it. Not saying that can't happen (though unlikely), but the plan is to live here until I die.

Dude, when I read what you write about living in Finland, it sounds really nice. The critique of the US for having allowed capital to destroy our sense of community and communal identity is on point.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Haifisch posted:

In the day in the far future when I'm actually ready to buy, I'll at least insist on minimal lawn since the rest of that is easier to work around.

That seems strange. Couldn't you dig up the extra lawn and replant?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

I got zero plans to move from this house or to sell it. Not saying that can't happen (though unlikely), but the plan is to live here until I die.

Same. This is family land, my in-laws live next door, and I hope one of our daughters or their cousins will take over in 30-40 years.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

stupid puma posted:

The problem is that everyone thinks they have good taste and it’s completely untrue.

Interior_design_thread.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I really want a double front door. Looked at a few when I was shopping for my current house but didn't like any of them for various reasons. I will always consider myself, financially, a failure, until I have a double front door.