Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Cowcaster posted:

there isn't a horn of magnus book that requires any jumping puzzles that i can remember. are you talking about the second grimoire? you can just jump next to it and grab it through the ledge.

This one, which they eventually moved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXIMESS7oxs&t=156s

for whatever reason I always had a rough time jumping from the light into the small room. They should also move the second grim on Empire, but for whatever reason (probably more time spent on it by now) I can hit it pretty consistently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm pretty sure that the release trailer was just an end credits FMV they repurposed as a trailer. It's cool, but not really actiony as I'd think would be more appropriate for a release trailer.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They released that gameplay trailer a week or two a go that was more in line with what you'd expect.

E; This one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfYBSWAOcZs

Also man, maybe I should turn the music back on in this game.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I fully expect the talent that removes all heat on ult use for pyromancer to be reduced to 50% heat or the like at some point, it steps on the toes of unchained a bit, although the other ranged classes can refill their ammo readily too.

Unchained’s living bomb looks so impressive but it hits like such a limp noodle it honestly feels like the worst job for her. Even more so on Champion since it’s only purpose seems to be to hurt your team since it has FF for some dumb reason. Like the entire point of that ult seems to be to clear out a swarm surrounding you so having FF on it complete negates it’s purpose

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Orv posted:

Also man, maybe I should turn the music back on in this game.

Jesper Kyd is really good at makin' music.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Night10194 posted:

No poo poo? I had no idea it was him, totally doing it then.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I love the trailer cuz it's like 2 minutes of people getting wrecked then a pan over to the Ubersreik Five marching in and the rest of the trailer is rats and barbarians getting stomped

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Orv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSRYDKp3hrw

Yeah, they credit him with all of it.

Also, throat singing rules.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
am i reading this right? it goes live at like 4pm est?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Unchained’s living bomb looks so impressive but it hits like such a limp noodle it honestly feels like the worst job for her. Even more so on Champion since it’s only purpose seems to be to hurt your team since it has FF for some dumb reason. Like the entire point of that ult seems to be to clear out a swarm surrounding you so having FF on it complete negates it’s purpose

i've not used it with any trinkets or talents or anything so maybe once you're leveled up/kitted out it's different but it seems strange to me that the pyromancer's extremely strong, extremely good ability has a very short cooldown and the unchained's mediocre-to-bad ability has a very long cooldown

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Night10194 posted:

Hell yeah, I've been a fan since the Adventures of Batman & Robin game for the Genesis. Dude's consistently solid and not rarely great.

Orv
May 4, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

1PM EST, one and one half hour from this post.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

Yeah, I usually listen to other music when playing games but the music here is so good and atmospheric it's hard not to leave it on.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Timezones are hard.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Unchained is one of my favorites aesthetically and concept-wise and it's rather fun to boot, but I don't think it can handle champion or above very well.

But it handles veteran like a boss, at least at 20, unchained doesn't have to worry much about getting downed in veteran since you have effectively 50% more health and your temp health lasts twice as long because of the decay damage being halved into heat and you then use that temp health to lower your heat when it gets dangerous.

But her ultimate really should just wipe out everything in the vicinity with it's 2 minute cooldown and I hear friendly fire damage on champion.

Maybe with the right gear unchained is much better, like a healing necklace + potions do 10% damage instead of being consumed item so that you only take 5% health damage.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 8, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Deakul posted:

Fair points all, I dug VM1 for the most part even if I pretty much stopped playing after going through each map a couple of times... the rat murder was enough to get me to hop on for a few minutes and just kill until I was satisfied afterwards.

Sounds like VM2 is more of an actual game with built in longevity now.

The game’s design is worse than the first almost across the board, partly because some of the additions are just incoherent in the context of a lag-limited 4-player game where you fight 60 enemies at a time, and partly because it was redesigned around a Destiny Number which only exists for players who will abandon the game the moment they no longer see it going up anyway. It also has way less personality than the first because the enemies you’re fighting over half the time are utterly loving boring and soulless compared to skaven, which reflects on the characters too

In spite of all of this it’s still a really good-feeling action game for just $30 from a dev who will probably support it really well, so it’s well worth it imo, but you’ve posted that you didn’t like the first one in the past so I’m not so sure 2 is for you

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Digirat posted:

The game’s design is worse than the first almost across the board...:words:

Is this just a spicy hot take or are you being serious?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i think he's serious, but i also think he's wrong

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I don't think there's many people who agree with that interpretation (power is dumb, yes, the rest not so much) but hey, whatevs.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
That's a shame. The game is better pretty much across any metric that matters except for "Is the same as Vermintide 1"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Orv posted:

Yeah I don't think there's many people who agree with that interpretation (power is dumb, yes, the rest not so much) but hey, whatevs.

i also don't like how you have to level up each hero individually now but that's part and parcel of them having classes and skill trees, so i'll cope

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
well no hero power is extremely dumb and very bad and it's a focal part of the entire game so that's a pretty major metric that is worse.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Stanley Pain posted:

That's a shame. The game is better pretty much across any metric that matters except for "Is the same as Vermintide 1"

It's currently failing in the available hats metric, but I have faith

Orv
May 4, 2011

Giant Isopod posted:

It's currently failing in the available hats metric, but I have faith

That goddamn tab has been taunting me for three weeks now.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I wonder if we can eventually choose a variety of mustaches and beards for Kruber.

His tiny waxed mustache and sadly bare chin is the sole drawback of his Knight costume.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Likewise, Bardin requires a wide array of beard-protecting armor for every occasion. Rat-smashing beard armor, parade dress plates, wedding floral arrangments for facial hair, etc.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
can we play full game yet?

can we play the full game yet? for the love of god!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ImpactVector posted:

Yeah, I really hate stopping for 5 minutes in the middle of a map while everyone flails around trying to make a dumb jump. I'd personally rather just keep moving. It's a bad mechanic that's completely out of place.

I hate the jumping in this game so much. I used to call them "jumping puzzles", but they really aren't puzzles because those are solved easily once you figure out how to do them. The pixel perfect platforming is horrible.

Empire in Flames is the worst of them all, with the stupidly finnicky first tome jump and that lamp post jump in the market square that is just a conga line of failure for everyone trying to do it. The one in festering grounds where you have to leap across directly after you get the grim key is horrible too, you basically have to be off the plank before you even jump.

It's frustrating because the rest of them are pretty good. Using explosive barrels to open up new paths is inspired, and Against the Grain is pretty much perfect in terms of books imo. I don't understand why they were so poorly made.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Festering Grounds you can go to the room below the tome and grab it through the ceiling. gently caress that jump

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
hey martin and victor idgaf about what youre talking about just let me play the full game!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Stanley Pain posted:

Is this just a spicy hot take or are you being serious?

Digirat cares a whole lot about the first game and how it balances/plays at the hardest difficulties, and its players like him that kept Vermintide 1 going as long as it did with as many updates as it got. More than likely he's right about a buncha stuff like how the new specials/shield rats are gonna effect handling large hordes of rats and such.

That said I poured like 80 hours into the first game and already 30 into the second and I don't think I'm ever going to hit a point where I'll care about any of it, because for my level of play the game's good and fun.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm just frustrated I can't wear a wreath of flowers around my bald dwarven head yet

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Fans posted:

Festering Grounds you can go to the room below the tome and grab it through the ceiling. gently caress that jump

Festering Grounds jump for the 2nd grim is totally not worth the risk of fall damage unless you use the Slayer jump ability.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Agrajag posted:

can we play the full game yet? for the love of god!

2 major internet fibre cables were just cut, I think Nurgle is loving with us.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Digirat posted:

The game’s design is worse than the first almost across the board, partly because some of the additions are just incoherent in the context of a lag-limited 4-player game where you fight 60 enemies at a time, and partly because it was redesigned around a Destiny Number which only exists for players who will abandon the game the moment they no longer see it going up anyway. It also has way less personality than the first because the enemies you’re fighting over half the time are utterly loving boring and soulless compared to skaven, which reflects on the characters too

In spite of all of this it’s still a really good-feeling action game for just $30 from a dev who will probably support it really well, so it’s well worth it imo, but you’ve posted that you didn’t like the first one in the past so I’m not so sure 2 is for you

I heavily disagree with most of the things you said.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Finally got a Bolt staff with +5% crit chance and Heat Sink and it is everything I ever wanted for Sienna, gonna own when they nerf it!

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Digirat posted:

The one aspect i hated the most from vermintide 1 was the poo poo rear end loot rng.

They improved on that in vermintide 2 and made it so you actually get weapons for the class youre playing on and can craft the weapons you want to use. Personally, that's all i care about.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i just got 282 ranged kills with the drakefire pistols and over 3k damage

lmao nerf these things

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Agrajag posted:

The one aspect i hated the most from vermintide 1 was the poo poo rear end loot rng.

They improved on that in vermintide 2 and made it so you actually get weapons for the class youre playing on and can craft the weapons you want to use. Personally, that's all i care about.

It's not really a game breaker for me but at the upper end of VT2 you'll be basically playing Diablo 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Agrajag posted:

I had like 40 hours played in 1 before I got a single new Rapier for Victor. The loot system at release in 1 was so goddamn bad.

• Locked thread