Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Mendrian posted:

It's not really a game breaker for me but at the upper end of VT2 you'll be basically playing Diablo 3.

Never played Diablo 3 so can you explain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Night10194 posted:

I had like 40 hours played in 1 before I got a single new Rapier for Victor. The loot system at release in 1 was so goddamn bad.

yuuuuuuuuuup

all i wanted was a great axe for my dwarf and i kept on getting crap for classes i never intended to even touch, EVER.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Giant Isopod posted:

It's currently failing in the available hats metric, but I have faith

:same:

Atoramos posted:

Digirat cares a whole lot about the first game and how it balances/plays at the hardest difficulties, and its players like him that kept Vermintide 1 going as long as it did with as many updates as it got. More than likely he's right about a buncha stuff like how the new specials/shield rats are gonna effect handling large hordes of rats and such.

That said I poured like 80 hours into the first game and already 30 into the second and I don't think I'm ever going to hit a point where I'll care about any of it, because for my level of play the game's good and fun.

Caring about a good game is fine, but projecting a bunch of stuff from the first game onto its sequel is silly Especially with wide sweeping statements like "The design of this game is total bollocks."

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Agrajag posted:

Never played Diablo 3 so can you explain?

Once you've basically capped or nigh-capped your Hero Power - which doesn't seem all that unattainable - you'll be on the quest for perfect items. Which means butting your head into the RNG over and over.

I don't think that's necessarily bad, but it's something people will end up complaining about.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Martout posted:

Finally got a Bolt staff with +5% crit chance and Heat Sink and it is everything I ever wanted for Sienna, gonna own when they nerf it!

I honestly don't think it's gonna get touched for a minute, just because huntsman and bounty hunter and literally every single individual thing the waywatcher gets are so much more out of tune, whereas BW gets insanely off the fuckin' chain after Twenty-Four American Levels of Wizard. Most redditors seem to not have that patience I guess.

its so good though, isn't it? I've been kinda-sorta trying to roll cooldown reduction on crit instead of heat sink, but after fourteen orange gubbins the game saw fit to leave me with the heat sink trait again so I cut my losses on Item Pachinko and threw color junk at some other characters who I'm told also use items as well.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Mendrian posted:

Once you've basically capped or nigh-capped your Hero Power - which doesn't seem all that unattainable - you'll be on the quest for perfect items. Which means butting your head into the RNG over and over.

I don't think that's necessarily bad, but it's something people will end up complaining about.

I complain about it to all who will listen when I roll junk and then get the exact and precise combo I just had. If you only have a pool of 4 traits, getting "shield ally on assist" seven times in a row gets old quick.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Mendrian posted:

You mean the red coloured rarity items right?

Yeah I can see that happening for people but does this game really require extreme amounts of min maxing? I thought it was mainly just coop bashing rats is the main objective and not much more beyond that.

Are you implying that soon we'll be getting groups where you're required to have X of this or X of that?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
The loot system in vt2 is far improved, both compared to vt1's initial "hope you like getting whites" rng as well as the "you're kitted in full blues/oranges before you even finish the 13 base maps" after the buffs.

I don't give a poo poo whatsoever that someone can no longer look at half a horde and instantly know that this goober here takes exactly 2 hits to kill and that goober there takes 3. It's a game about fighting hordes and then taking a break between hordes to inch further toward the goal, there should be some chaos involved.

94.6% of vt1's playerbase never bothered to touch Cataclysm anyway, which was the only place that sort of precision ever mattered.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Willie Tomg posted:

I complain about it to all who will listen when I roll junk and then get the exact and precise combo I just had. If you only have a pool of 4 traits, getting "shield ally on assist" seven times in a row gets old quick.

Revive Speed %
Respawn Speed %

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Mendrian posted:

this is the basic premise of literally every loot game ever, and is only really a problem if the gameplay loop you're participating in to get loot isn't good. the problem with d3 isn't that you chase the perfect loot, it's that the gameplay is super mediocre and you chainrun three minute rifts full of mobs you one-shot in order to get the perfect loot, and once you have it all you're left with is a weird isometric rpg where you press one button 99 percent of the time.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Night10194 posted:

I had like 40 hours played in 1 before I got a single new Rapier for Victor. The loot system at release in 1 was so goddamn bad.

300 hours in vt1, never received a Drakefire pistols. Of any quality, ever.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Agrajag posted:

Revive Speed %
Respawn Speed %

spoiler this rude garbage. jesus christ, man

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Stanley Pain posted:

Caring about a good game is fine, but projecting a bunch of stuff from the first game onto its sequel is silly
speaking of projecting

he actually called out the additions to the mechanics as specifically what he has issues with, especially the hero power thing, which is dumb, bad, and baddumb. perhaps even dumbbad.

like i disagree with digirat on a bunch (just hit my ? if you want to see us arguing) but people are ragging on him for a bunch of poo poo they wished he said rather than what he actually said.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I rerolled my trinket trait and got 25% bomb recycle 5 times in a row. Are there even other traits in that category?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Ad by Khad posted:

The loot system in vt2 is far improved, both compared to vt1's initial "hope you like getting whites" rng as well as the "you're kitted in full blues/oranges before you even finish the 13 base maps" after the buffs.

I don't give a poo poo whatsoever that someone can no longer look at half a horde and instantly know that this goober here takes exactly 2 hits to kill and that goober there takes 3. It's a game about fighting hordes and then taking a break between hordes to inch further toward the goal, there should be some chaos involved.

94.6% of vt1's playerbase never bothered to touch Cataclysm anyway, which was the only place that sort of precision ever mattered.

And for what it's worth as a counterpoint, leveling Saltzpyre and thus finally having to learn how to play Vermintide again instead of burning all my problems to ashes, I'm really liking the different feels encounters have. Skaven fly apart to light attacks like tissue paper whereas chaos dudes necessitate the good ol' stick n' move like a Diet Stormvermin.

I will freely admit though that it felt like garbage until I pumped my Destiny Level. But that took... maybe an hour or two of flailing? And then felt fine. Good poo poo.

On stream right now: Power level number now has a tooltip that explicitly shows stagger levels and other relevant stuff. which it shoulda done in the first place but, fatshark, better late than never, etc etc

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

I rerolled my trinket trait and got 25% bomb recycle 5 times in a row. Are there even other traits in that category?

Insanely good ones. The RNG is streaky like unwashed underwear.

I think I spent no joke thirty green+blue trying to find crit chance on a trinket. It was actually impressively unlucky.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So is stagger level solely linked to character power or is it still also influenced by weapon type as well? Will my falchion shove like a shield and mace given the same power level?

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

Willie Tomg posted:

On stream right now: Power level number now has a tooltip that explicitly shows stagger levels and other relevant stuff. which it shoulda done in the first place but, fatshark, better late than never, etc etc

I didn't play Vermintide 1 for long, but unlike Bungie, Fatshark at least has a track record of realizing that there's dumb stuff in their game and fixing it, rather than yammering about vision or some nonsense like that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There are issues, but they're attached to a good as hell basic gameplay model and a good developer who has already done a ton of work on balancing since the original tests.

I just wish they'd give me a Bretonnian to play as, but I totally get why 'Hey we have 5 characters who really work and whose VAs are still able to come back for game 2' would push them to keep those PCs.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I have no issue what so ever with Hero Power.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Coolguye posted:

speaking of projecting

he actually called out the additions to the mechanics as specifically what he has issues with, especially the hero power thing, which is dumb, bad, and baddumb. perhaps even dumbbad.

like i disagree with digirat on a bunch (just hit my ? if you want to see us arguing) but people are ragging on him for a bunch of poo poo they wished he said rather than what he actually said.

What part of entire design bad bad did I not comprehend here? :) When you start with a broad, spicy hot take like that.....

He's been projecting VT1 --> VT2 for pages here.

Hero power is fine. At least from my perspective. Number goes up, things die faster, better, harder. I move up difficulty things get tougher until numbers go up. I even managed to get a few random champion runs completed by 1) making number go up 2)rolling traits that a) suit my play style b) fit my build. There's nothing overly complex here. It might break some brain s further if you absolutely have to min/max every aspect of your character. But I'm not like that but can appreciate if someone is.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

One of the most common pieces of advice we gave in the first game was 'try not to see loot as the point, but a vestigial mini-game attached to a good FPS'. That's harder to stress here since there are real differences between an HP 50 character and an HP 350 character, but it's probably still the healthiest mindset.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

So is stagger level solely linked to character power or is it still also influenced by weapon type as well? Will my falchion shove like a shield and mace given the same power level?

Its both and also power thresholds to do things get more stringent on higher difficulty. So: Rapier; lovely base stagger, that gets less lovely with more power level. Think of it like rolling devestating blow in VT1, except you eventually get it just for playing Saltz. Then you go to champion or whatever, and its Dodge City again.

Coolguye posted:

speaking of projecting

yea i have hype for this game i havent had since my teenly days, and i just straight-up disagree that the variable and divergent enemy types are Bad For Vermintide, but opaque power levels have a lotta room for improvement no two ways about it and berserkers as they presently exist are BS and so on and so on and so on.

birds fly, bees buzz, vermintide is full of jank. we all know this. game is still a drat sight better than 1 was on release, ESPECIALLY regarding the loot.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
When playing games, have fun. When fun is no longer had move on.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.

Agrajag posted:

Festering Grounds jump for the 2nd grim is totally not worth the risk of fall damage unless you use the Slayer jump ability.

Don't jump. Face the wall and just walk off the boardwalk/ramp thing and press left once you've started falling. I get that grim 100% of the time with no issues, easy as pie.

Darius099 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 8, 2018

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Night10194 posted:

There are issues, but they're attached to a good as hell basic gameplay model and a good developer who has already done a ton of work on balancing since the original tests.

I just wish they'd give me a Bretonnian to play as, but I totally get why 'Hey we have 5 characters who really work and whose VAs are still able to come back for game 2' would push them to keep those PCs.

Here's a hot take for you: I've seen the game get more refinement in 2 weeks than I've seen Overwatch get refined in 2 years.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Stanley Pain posted:

When playing games, have fun. When fun is no longer had move on.

wisdom

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Willie Tomg posted:

I honestly don't think it's gonna get touched for a minute, just because huntsman and bounty hunter and literally every single individual thing the waywatcher gets are so much more out of tune, whereas BW gets insanely off the fuckin' chain after Twenty-Four American Levels of Wizard. Most redditors seem to not have that patience I guess.

its so good though, isn't it? I've been kinda-sorta trying to roll cooldown reduction on crit instead of heat sink, but after fourteen orange gubbins the game saw fit to leave me with the heat sink trait again so I cut my losses on Item Pachinko and threw color junk at some other characters who I'm told also use items as well.

It really is! Although I'm putting out about the same numbers as I do with a good fireball staff except more headshots it feels very different - having the superfast light attacks to blast away at enemies that get close makes it workable to keep the staff out in situations when I'd otherwise switch to melee. The more fire I get to shoot at rats the happier I am and this is the best weapon for it I've found so far.

I am curious to see how a Beam staff with Heat Sink handles or if it suffers from the fact that it's a beam staff.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
oh my GOD there's twitch integration in the mode they're showing off right now. with chat votes and everything.

e; OH MY GOD one of the votes is for "treasure hunt" which is where seven loot rats spawn in Lunethexian manner and everyone has to chase them down and bop them.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 8, 2018

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Willie Tomg posted:

Its both and also power thresholds to do things get more stringent on higher difficulty. So: Rapier; lovely base stagger, that gets less lovely with more power level. Think of it like rolling devestating blow in VT1, except you eventually get it just for playing Saltz. Then you go to champion or whatever, and its Dodge City again.

yea i have hype for this game i havent had since my teenly days, and i just straight-up disagree that the variable and divergent enemy types are Bad For Vermintide, but opaque power levels have a lotta room for improvement no two ways about it and berserkers as they presently exist are BS and so on and so on and so on.

birds fly, bees buzz, vermintide is full of jank. we all know this. game is still a drat sight better than 1 was on release, ESPECIALLY regarding the loot.

Yeah, disregarding anything else, I am having fun with the game. I know the broken poo poo like the Huntsman + Shotgun, some of the crit nonsense, the waywatcher in general, and the like are all going to get tuned up in time. Quick Play alone for the loot bonus gives you a reason not to just blindly, dumbly play the same :airquote: easy :airquote: map/exploit over and over again in order to get easy loot like you seen happen in Vermintide 1 and Payday 2.

I'm kind of nervous that less than half of the maps have been playtested, especially with Empire in Flames and War Camp being way out of whack with the others from this and the previous beta. EiF really needs some guaranteed ammo and like 1-2 health kits right before the drop into the estate because that map is super savage right now and War Camp has kind of the opposite problem with it being far too easy.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

oh my GOD there's twitch integration in the mode they're showing off right now. with chat votes and everything.

e; OH MY GOD one of the votes is for "treasure hunt" which is where seven loot rats spawn in Lunethexian manner and everyone has to chase them down and bop them.

Link this stream that sounds awesome

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Link this stream that sounds awesome

Its just fatsharks release stream https://www.twitch.tv/fatsharkgames

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I love that they're being constantly harangued by friend requests

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It should be released now or is it still another hour?

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Martout posted:

I am curious to see how a Beam staff with Heat Sink handles or if it suffers from the fact that it's a beam staff.

I see lots of people advocating Beam staff as the best staff, but I don't really get it. I guess it's cool in a benevolent support way, insofar as you can wave it around to stunlock enemies your teammates are fighting in melee. But it seems to take forever to actually kill anything?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Agrajag posted:

The one aspect i hated the most from vermintide 1 was the poo poo rear end loot rng.

They improved on that in vermintide 2 and made it so you actually get weapons for the class youre playing on and can craft the weapons you want to use. Personally, that's all i care about.

Yeah I’m only really talking about gameplay here, I totally agree that the experience of starting out in 2 is way better than 1 in terms of loot

Stanley Pain posted:

Caring about a good game is fine, but projecting a bunch of stuff from the first game onto its sequel is silly Especially with wide sweeping statements like "The design of this game is total bollocks."

I’ve never called it “total bollocks” and wouldn’t still be here saying it’s a good game if it was. the problem is that it’s worse than the first game, a statement that really isn’t sweeping at all when I’ve explained numerous reasons why over loving weeks here. You’ve spent longer misrepresenting those reasons as all being “different than the first game” than you have actually reading them, so forgive me if I have a hard time taking a single word you post seriously

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Willie Tomg posted:

Done in the first place? Game's not even out yet.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

One good thing about liking to play Bright Wizard is that for some reason pubbies never pick her? I guess cause she doesn’t have some kind of broken power but I never have an issue of joining a game and being told the Bright Wizard is taken

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Captain Mediocre posted:

I see lots of people advocating Beam staff as the best staff, but I don't really get it. I guess it's cool in a benevolent support way, insofar as you can wave it around to stunlock enemies your teammates are fighting in melee. But it seems to take forever to actually kill anything?

i think its effectiveness, like everything else, is largely affected by what difficulty you're playing on and what hero power number you're at.

that said it could kill chaos spawns in 5 seconds and i still wouldn't use the thing because of how utterly anemic the beam effect feels compared to hucking a firebolt

Dr. VooDoo posted:

One good thing about liking to play Bright Wizard is that for some reason pubbies never pick her? I guess cause she doesn’t have some kind of broken power but I never have an issue of joining a game and being told the Bright Wizard is taken

i think someone earlier pointed out that getting to a brokenly powerful version of the bright wizard takes the time/effort needed to get to level 25, meanwhile getting to similar states with the elf/kruber/saltzpyre happen almost immediately by comparison, so her poplarity might be explained by that

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Tagichatn posted:

Done in the first place? Game's not even out yet.

"out" is a term with a lot of inbuilt flex in these, the days of early access, as VT has essentially been for a few weeks.

• Locked thread