Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ceebees posted:

Having given the game a pass at launch and come to it with 2.0, i've been having a lot of fun with it. Hyperlanes are definitely the way to go, forget the haters (even if trying to fight a war after planetary FTL disruptors are discovered feels like the one scene with Sideshow Bob and the field of rakes).

Still, though, i'd say my main concern is that the diplomatic system really feels... empty? Maybe it's just because i've only had a chance to play as the humans, but the scope of CB's (which are clearly important to me), and the options available in the diplomatic menu are really kind of sparse. I'm really missing diplo options and CBs to force rivals to revoke their claims, to change civics or policies, etc. Even just things like my inability to peacefully integrate my inferior (but not pathetic) neighbor, even though thanks to the migration treaty, his president has been one of my species for 30 years now. Or, combine those - a CB to 'protect our species' if a civ you have migration with flips to a civic yours are opposed to, or they start cyborg uploads or whatever.

There's just... a lot of open space visible in these systems to do something with, and it makes it a touch less satisfying that the only thing i can really do to these weird blob aliens is throw toy spaceships at them until they surrender and join me?
I agree with you on this 100%. Especially coming from a more mature paradox game in EU4 I know that there are tons of diplomatic options that are not currently being leveraged in Stellaris. Options that would definitely make the game more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Magil Zeal posted:

Also, during my game yesterday playing as Rogue Servitors, I noticed something odd. Pirates would appear and then... not attack. I'd get the pop-up about pirates, so they were mine, but they'd just sit in the system they popped in and not do anything except defend their stronghold. Made them really easy to deal with but obviously not intended. Going to have to see later today if the patch changed things.

I'm pretty sure the same thing happened in my RS game but I figured they were intimidated by the hell fortress next door :v:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Magil Zeal posted:

Also, during my game yesterday playing as Rogue Servitors, I noticed something odd. Pirates would appear and then... not attack. I'd get the pop-up about pirates, so they were mine, but they'd just sit in the system they popped in and not do anything except defend their stronghold. Made them really easy to deal with but obviously not intended. Going to have to see later today if the patch changed things.

How long do you leave them? In my RS game, pirates spawn and then a few years later will attack with a tiny fleet

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

In my (limited) experience, pirates will not attack if they cannot access your space without needing to attack a large fort.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I fail to see how hitting "Auto-Explore" or whatever it is on a science vessel is "busy work" if they add a mechanic to allow you to scan places again. I think it would be a great way to help keep the midgame interesting if you are not particularly violent. Especialyl when executing said scans is done by clicking one button, once.

Shadowlyger posted:

Yeah basically rather than have the whole assist research thing, just have your science ships set to fly around your territory re-scanning stuff to see if anything's changed since the last time they were there.
I'm 100% backing Fintilgin's version as a better alternative. I was always vaguely concerned about how efficiently something with that many greater than checks could be executed and their idea is much simpler.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Great Khan rose on my map and I've been having fun watching him expand. He hit a bit of a snag where he lost a couple construction ships and seems to have never recovered. He's carving this huge swath of empty territory out, but not back-filling it with construction ships. He also seems to have mostly run out of troop transports so his fleets get stuck bombing planets but rarely invading them. It looks like they have a single small transport fleet left and they're using them very badly. They'll fly it across the entire galaxy to invade a planet with 3 planets in it, then instead of invading the next 2, it will fly back across the galaxy to invade some other random planet.

Also I'd be very down with assist research if clicking the button just put the ship into "assist research" mode which would automatically move to the next best research output planet and help out (although still allow manual right click on planet -> assist research) to assign to specific planet. I'd also very much be down with a check box on the research ship to "auto-hire new researcher on death" because traits don't really matter with assist research and when you have 10 of them going at once you can get some really annoying death-waves.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 8, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ceebees posted:

Having given the game a pass at launch and come to it with 2.0, i've been having a lot of fun with it. Hyperlanes are definitely the way to go, forget the haters (even if trying to fight a war after planetary FTL disruptors are discovered feels like the one scene with Sideshow Bob and the field of rakes).

Still, though, i'd say my main concern is that the diplomatic system really feels... empty? Maybe it's just because i've only had a chance to play as the humans, but the scope of CB's (which are clearly important to me), and the options available in the diplomatic menu are really kind of sparse. I'm really missing diplo options and CBs to force rivals to revoke their claims, to change civics or policies, etc. Even just things like my inability to peacefully integrate my inferior (but not pathetic) neighbor, even though thanks to the migration treaty, his president has been one of my species for 30 years now. Or, combine those - a CB to 'protect our species' if a civ you have migration with flips to a civic yours are opposed to, or they start cyborg uploads or whatever.

There's just... a lot of open space visible in these systems to do something with, and it makes it a touch less satisfying that the only thing i can really do to these weird blob aliens is throw toy spaceships at them until they surrender and join me?

Most of these things exist in-game, after a fashion. For some reason ideology wars are only available if your war policy isn't set to Unrestricted Wars, while the 'Humiliate' wargoal has the added (unstated?) bonus of forcing the loser to renounce all claims.

You can ask your neighbors to be vassals if you have the domination tradition opener, though I think they're rarely on board if there's no threat to their independence. You can then integrate them after 10 years of semi-independence, no shots fired.

It'd be kind of neat if there was a straight-up Alliance > Integration mechanism, but the dev diary did say it's a thing they've been wanting to do for quite some time.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Kaza42 posted:

How long do you leave them? In my RS game, pirates spawn and then a few years later will attack with a tiny fleet

Maybe if I left them alone long enough they'd attack? The longest I ever left them alone was long enough to travel to the other side of my empire, hit some crystals and void clouds, come back, repair, and then go destroy their base. It was quite a while and they never showed any sign of leaving.

GunnerJ posted:

I'm pretty sure the same thing happened in my RS game but I figured they were intimidated by the hell fortress next door :v:

In my (limited) experience, pirates will not attack if they cannot access your space without needing to attack a large fort.

In my game at least I don't have any hellforts, or anything aside from a few trading hubs and one shipyard. Nothing that I could call a bastion, haven't built a single defense platform all game.

It's just very noticeable compared to my previous two games, wherein pirates would always attack a neighboring system immediately after spawning. No wait, as soon as they spawned they'd path to the nearest system and start attacking.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 8, 2018

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Baronjutter posted:

He also seems to have mostly run out of troop transports so his fleets get stuck bombing planets but rarely invading them.

Maybe he's just working on his own City of Screams.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I still think troop transports should only be needed if you want to take the planet intact, but after enough bombardment there should really be a surrender option. Like after year 10 of bombardment, all buildings destroyed, half the tiles craters, only 4 pops left, just loving surrender because the AI clearly can't figure out invasions all the time.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

I still think troop transports should only be needed if you want to take the planet intact, but after enough bombardment there should really be a surrender option. Like after year 10 of bombardment, all buildings destroyed, half the tiles craters, only 4 pops left, just loving surrender because the AI clearly can't figure out invasions all the time.
A surrender option would be neat.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Ceebees posted:

It's not a coincidence that almost all of Wiz's remaining todos are related to diplomacy.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

They're dumb as poo poo

My current game i left a deliberate hole in my space to a lovely star (2 energy), where i intended they spawn (they do) which is connected to 3 other systems - 1, my main system, fortified, 2, a glorified yet still very fortified chokepoint, and 3 a system with a base and 4-5 mining/research stations.

They go for the fortified chokepoint every time

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I noticed something very amusing, if you take out the starbase without destroying the defense platforms then you get to keep the defense platforms for yourself.

Happens a lot in BB-heavy fleets armed with bypass weapons, since they hit the biggest target first.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

I noticed something very amusing, if you take out the starbase without destroying the defense platforms then you get to keep the defense platforms for yourself.

Happens a lot in BB-heavy fleets armed with bypass weapons, since they hit the biggest target first.

More amusing is if the enemy occupies one of your systems you can build defensive platforms for them using their patterns :v:

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Awww man. Was playing ironman fanatical purifiers and I was around year 2550 and had just squashed the unbidden and was slaughtering one of the factions from a war in heaven and now my save game just says "BROKEN SAVE" and won't load. I guess I was in the mop up phase but man this sucks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My biggest wishlist item would be for more vassal options. Let me set autonomy levels and customize their relationship and obligations. Like:

Expansion:
None, the subject is forbidden from claiming new systems or colonizing planets.
Internal Only, the subject may colonize planets within its borders but may not claim new systems.
Free Expansion, the subject may expand its borders and colonize new systems freely.

Tribute:
No Tribute, the subject is not expected to contribute any of its income to its overlord.
Low Tribute, the subject must contribute 25% of its resource production to its overlord.
Medium Tribute, the subject must contribute 50% of its resource production to its overlord.
Crushing Tribute, the subject is forced to contribute 75% of its resources to its overlord.

War Policy:
Independant, the subject may be attacked or start its own wars without the inclusion of its overlord.
Protectorate, the subject is not brought into its overlord's wars but its overlord will protect it if attacked.
Defensive Only, the subject is brought into its overlords defensive wars.
Full Participation, the subject is brought into all of its overlords wars.

Politics:
Free Politics, the subject is not under any obligation to adopt its overlords ethos or government.
Influenced Politics, the subject gains heavy ethos attraction to its overlords ethos and is more likely to switch to a matching government if available.
Puppet Government, the subject is forced to adopt its overlords government and state ethos. (or even better, allow the overlord to pick specifically)

Technology:
Unified Research, all technology is shared between subject and overlord granting +75% research speed on known techs.
Research Aid, subject gains a 50% bonus when researching any technology known to its overlord.
None, subject gains no special research bonuses from its overlord.
Enforced Stagnation, the subject suffers a -50% research penalty.

Depending on the severity of the policy you would generate more "liberty desire" or whatever with your vassal, which would lower your relations and boost their chance of rebelling or developing local unrest. Happy loyal vassals would be more productive and contribute more, while angry rebellious vassals would find ways to contribute less. There could be a bunch of other toggleable options for subjects that don't fit on a drop-down policy style list that would come with their own unique little spins on the master-subject relationship or help manage unruly vassalls. The whole system could also tie into a new federation system where members could vote on increasing/decreasing centralization and autonomy.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I tried to like this game, but its insanely boring even by Paradox standards. The combat is pretty but keeps me wanting it to be an RTS instead of auto battles between doomstacks.

Basically if it had homeworld combat I'd be sold. Instead I find myself waiting on high speed for something to complete, to complete something else, to hope my doomstack survives long enough to win.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Sylink posted:

I tried to like this game, but its insanely boring even by Paradox standards. The combat is pretty but keeps me wanting it to be an RTS instead of auto battles between doomstacks.

Basically if it had homeworld combat I'd be sold. Instead I find myself waiting on high speed for something to complete, to complete something else, to hope my doomstack survives long enough to win.

Sins of a Solar Empire is a fun little space RTS

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Sloober posted:

Sins of a Solar Empire is a fun little space RTS

I'll have to try it, still havent :) I'm a sucker for space games.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sylink posted:

Yeah this is not a game where you have an exciting minute-to-minute feedback loop. It's a grand strategy game where your decisions may not pay off for years in-game.

It's also a hell of an emergent gameplay/story generator. Guiding you little space geckos as they overcome everything from space whales to omnicidal extradimensional hordes is incredibly engaging to some people. There are lots and lots of little hooks along those lines.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sloober posted:

They're dumb as poo poo

My current game i left a deliberate hole in my space to a lovely star (2 energy), where i intended they spawn (they do) which is connected to 3 other systems - 1, my main system, fortified, 2, a glorified yet still very fortified chokepoint, and 3 a system with a base and 4-5 mining/research stations.

They go for the fortified chokepoint every time
lmao I have never seen that but if I did I guess I wouldnt be surprised!

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The Great Khan arose on my border. I had no hope of stopping him as it was reasonably early on, so I signed up as a Satrapy to avoid losing too much of my space. While I fought my new energy deficit, the AI Custodian Matrix sent all its fleets after the Great Khan, pretty much wrecking his day.

I'm not sure it's supposed to do that.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Aethernet posted:

The Great Khan arose on my border. I had no hope of stopping him as it was reasonably early on, so I signed up as a Satrapy to avoid losing too much of my space. While I fought my new energy deficit, the AI Custodian Matrix sent all its fleets after the Great Khan, pretty much wrecking his day.

FE AI will occasionally do a "do not engage in offensive wars for 20 years" thing and wreck your poo poo if you violate protocol. Maybe the Khan triggered that?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

FE AI will occasionally do a "do not engage in offensive wars for 20 years" thing and wreck your poo poo if you violate protocol. Maybe the Khan triggered that?

I mean the Khan is not really supposed to engage in normal diplomacy, but it's also possible that it's the Khan who decided to try and attack the FE like a genius and pissed it off. And a war against an entity like the Khan is always total war. Though it is also possible that as you say, the FE is trying to do things to the Khan, though this isn't the first time I've heard of this happening.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Aethernet posted:

If Stellaris could consistently pull of interesting stories like this it would be great. The problem is that I usually have to start like 5 games and invest hours and hours in the hope maybe one of them will play out interestingly. Oh the great khan appeared but... fizzled out and made the map really ugly. Oh woah a crisis, oh gently caress the galaxy has no chance against it, RIP. Oh woah a crisis, oh it failed with a fart, what a let down. This game started out really challenging but the AI's suddenly all poo poo the bed letting me have a run-away lead? Oh, every AI empire is starving while ignoring empty food tiles...

Sometimes everything comes together, the game remains tense and challenging, you always feel like you have goals you're working towards, unexpected poo poo pops up that you barely survive but feel stronger afterwards, and in the end the crisis seems nicely balanced and your final victory or defeat well deserved and fair. But so often something goes wrong, an event didn't play out as intended, the AI shits the bed, you spend the whole game on fastest speed while nothing really changes, waiting and hoping for anything.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Guilliman posted:

Anyone elses modded or unmodded save produce a 2gb+ log :P with tons of ingame lag to boot? My save is modded and pretty much in the start of the late game.

I love how my unmodded game + beta patch give me an error.log of 60+ GB...

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

ShiroTheSniper posted:

I love how my unmodded game + beta patch give me an error.log of 60+ GB...

I erased it. Played 5 minutes. My log is now 1GB. Wow.

A sample of the content of the log file:

Stellaris 2.0: The Assassination of my Hard Drive By The Coward Beta Patch Log

ShiroTheSniper fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 8, 2018

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Apparently it's a known issue and the log is just filling up with
code:
[trigger_impl.cpp:9680]: [ file: common/scripted_effects/pirate_fleet_effects.txt line: 450] Invalid target planet for is_planet trigger
Over and over, at least according to what I saw elsewhere

Edit: Apparently someone forgot to close a { } in the pirate code

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 8, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sylink posted:

I'll have to try it, still havent :) I'm a sucker for space games.
If you've never played Sword of the Stars 1 you should pick it up!

If you've never played Sword of the Stars 2 you have lived a charmed life and I envy you.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

assist research needs to just automatically go to a nearby planet, its just so aggravating atm.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Splicer posted:

If you've never played Sword of the Stars 1, pick it up!

If you've never played Sword of the Stars 2 you have lived a charmed life.

If you have played Sword of the Stars 2, you are lying. Oh sure, people may have managed to get the program to start or even do stuff, unlikely as that may seem. But nothing anybody has done with SotS2 could be considered "play"

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Well as an inward perfection agrarian idyll with the +10% unity racial trait I'm able to unlock Faith in Science before finishing my first tech. Also can afford to wait for first discovery unlock and pair that with map the stars, and still start expanding decently with the reduced expansion cost (60 per system).

edit: finishing off the tree fast and taking the research perk nets you a cool +20%, combo that with increased research from anomolies and the tech->unity cycle is started pretty swiftly.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 8, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So the whole 10 gig error log thing is hurting performance. I noticed performance was getting worse and worse in my last game, but someome figured out a fix, I think.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...1#post-23921627

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Aethernet posted:

This happened to us in a multiplayer game last night. Most players were forced to submit to the khan, but then a Fallen Empire from the other side of the galaxy came over and just started destroying the khan's fleets and starbases. By the time the khan died and the horde fractured, there were just a handful of isolated systems left.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I think the error log is fixed already? My pirate_fleet_effects looks exactly like what that thread is saying, and my error log is 3kb.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

So the whole 10 gig error log thing is hurting performance. I noticed performance was getting worse and worse in my last game, but someome figured out a fix, I think.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...1#post-23921627

the fix is actually nonsense, the extra bracket is either useless or actively harmful. there are no bracket errors in the file, it's something else.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I just noticed that there's a "pirate risk" percentage visible in the government screen, was that always there or is it from one of the betas?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kaza42 posted:

If you have played Sword of the Stars 2, you are lying. Oh sure, people may have managed to get the program to start or even do stuff, unlikely as that may seem. But nothing anybody has done with SotS2 could be considered "play"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Similarly I probably have like 1000 of X3 running attended on SETA recorded